The Hugger vs the MadMan

B-F-F-C

Mike O'Shea's style vs Kent Austin.   Something inside of me wants to see Mike O'Shea lose it during the game and just go off on the team.  Kent Austin's team is up by a wide margin and his offence turns the ball over a couple of times.   He gets the entire offence on the bench and just tears a strip off them. 

Mike O'Shea just stands on the sidelines with that same old grin.  I'm not a fan of Kent Austin but he's a damn good coach that gets everything out of his players.      

My one defence would be that Hamilton has a much deeper team and has had a stable draft system for several years... They are down almost a full starting lineup of NIs but you can't tell.

Hamilton has gone after DL and LBs for years now.

But yes, I would have liked to see OShea lose it after that blocked punt

Just cause O'Shea doesn't have every capillary in his face burst when he gives someone **** doesn't mean he doesn't give someone ****.  Pretty much everytime someone takes a UR or otherwise stupid 15 yarder or when Stoudermire does his stupid crap, O'Shea gives them ****.

I've never seen it. 

In retrospect, giving a struggling team to a rookie head coach whose experience was mainly defence and special teams was probably a mistake. An experienced and formerly successful head coach like Tom Higgins would likely have given confidence to the team and also resulted in better choices in assistant coaches.

We're paying for O'Shea's learning curve and unfortunately it looks like it is going to be a long one. perhaps too long for the team. If the team does not do better than .500 and make the playoffs, O'Shea's future has to be questioned. His decision to leave Willy in after a disasterous first half resulting in an almost absolute certainty of a bad loss was boneheaded. We still got handled and now Willy is sidelined again, perhaps for an extended period which will probably mean a 6 or 8 win season at best and no playoff appearance. Even Ottawa with their GM whom we mocked got a whole lot better since last year and the Riders put up more of a fight in their last game than we did.

Just cause O'Shea doesn't have every capillary in his face burst when he gives someone **** doesn't mean he doesn't give someone ****. Pretty much everytime someone takes a UR or otherwise stupid 15 yarder or when Stoudermire does his stupid crap, O'Shea gives them ****.

I've never seen it.

I respect JBRs football knowledge, but often he sees things in a game that just aren't there.

Too often I think people confuse restraint with not being angry (or in this case, caring too much).

You can be absolutely ticked off with things and just handle it differently than some would. He's called players out. He just doesn't scream and jump on the sideline. I have some concerns with him, but his sideline composure is really not one of them.  

In retrospect, giving a struggling team to a rookie head coach whose experience was mainly defence and special teams was probably a mistake. An experienced and formerly successful head coach like Tom Higgins would likely have given confidence to the team and also resulted in better choices in assistant coaches.

We're paying for O'Shea's learning curve and unfortunately it looks like it is going to be a long one. perhaps too long for the team. If the team does not do better than .500 and make the playoffs, O'Shea's future has to be questioned. His decision to leave Willy in after a disasterous first half resulting in an almost absolute certainty of a bad loss was boneheaded. We still got handled and now Willy is sidelined again, perhaps for an extended period which will probably mean a 6 or 8 win season at best and no playoff appearance. Even Ottawa with their GM whom we mocked got a whole lot better since last year and the Riders put up more of a fight in their last game than we did.

A coach can't be concerned about injury nor can it alter his in game decisions.   To take Willy out and put Brohm in is  a message to the team that he's conceded.   

Too often I think people confuse restraint with not being angry (or in this case, caring too much).

You can be absolutely ticked off with things and just handle it differently than some would. He's called players out. He just doesn't scream and jump on the sideline. I have some concerns with him, but his sideline composure is really not one of them.  

No kidding.  People get caught in the "if this, then that" cause and effect trap.  Austin is coaching a great team.  Austin yells and turns red, coaches who yell and turn red win.  When he was coaching an average team (I realize they ended up in the Grey Cup from the weak East) everyone called him an idiot for his outbursts just like they call out O'Shea for seemingly being soft on players.  O'Shea is coaching a team with flawed personnel.  No amount of yelling at a Pat Neufeld or other guys who blow assignments mentally or physically is going to make them better football players.

Riders put up more of a fight in their last game than we did.

Have the riders been blown out this year like we have, several times? I don't think so. 

For me, it's discouraging to have the team  look decent against BC, and then just a few days later, look so unprepared and outmatched against Hamilton.  this game was over before the end of the first quarter. 

I find it hard to accept that Hamilton's players are that much better than ours. who on their team is described as top in the league?

Would we as fans be doing somersaults if we traded receivers with Hamiltion? no. running backs, quarterback? don't think so. thought our new o lineman were cream of the crop. I don't accept that Hamilton doesn't have some weakness in their roster. 

so…

That leaves coaching. 

it's just the impression I have. 

Have the riders been blown out this year like we have, several times? I don't think so.

For me, it's discouraging to have the team look decent against BC, and then just a few days later, look so unprepared and outmatched against Hamilton. this game was over before the end of the first quarter.

I find it hard to accept that Hamilton's players are that much better than ours.

Would we as fans be doing somersaults if we traded receivers with Hamiltion? no. running backs, quarterback? don't think so. thought our new o lineman were cream of the crop.

so…

That leaves coaching.

Hamiltons D-line and Canadian depth are elite.

For me, it's discouraging to have the team look decent against BC, and then just a few days later, look so unprepared and outmatched against Hamilton. this game was over before the end of the first quarter.

I find it hard to accept that Hamilton's players are that much better than ours.

Would we as fans be doing somersaults if we traded receivers with Hamiltion? no. running backs, quarterback? don't think so. thought our new o lineman were cream of the crop.

so…

That leaves coaching.

Hamiltons D-line and Canadian depth are elite.

They're not elite...they are well coached and physically better in certain areas only.

They aren't and if hope that they will be is your plan as a staff and organization you are poorly prepared.

No, the plan was to anoint a Cdn MLB as our starter even though he lost his job halfway through last season with the same DC we have now... and not have a backup plan.

Etch's constant blitzing with Sherman worked better than what we're doing this year...