Ian Wild

D Johnson as well has taken reps in the middle, has played it in the past as well. Bass, Johnson and Randle would do more than what we have going on now. If Wild comes back maybe put him in Randles spot and put him back on the corner. He is more valuable there than where he is now.

You want Wild covering slotbacks all game?  :huh:

Maybe not all game..I sure that in a scheme there would be variation and adjustments based on offensive schemes and sets but I would have no issue. He was a safety in college and isn't slow for a linebacker so he has cover abilities

I realize Wild would be a very nice addition, on D and special teams, but do the bombers have the cap room to sign him? Moore, Picard, Westerman, Bryant, Willy, and Randle. The team has spent a lot recently.

Very good point. I read recently that the Bombers are projected to finish the season ~$100-200k over the cap. Obviously that'll change with some creativity by Walters, but we're there already.

Doubt it. We paid a LOT of money out under the 2014 cap last year. Nick Moore is hardly making anything on the 2015 cap, for example.

This isn't a slight to the players themselves, but why does it seem that the "bad" NFL teams are always the ones bringing in CFL talent for looks?

the "bad" NFL teams are the ones most looking to improve talent... the "good" ones already have established starters, typically have groomed back-ups, and draft well... There's a reason Green Bay and New England are perennial favourites...

This isn't a slight to the players themselves, but why does it seem that the "bad" NFL teams are always the ones bringing in CFL talent for looks?

the "bad" NFL teams are the ones most looking to improve talent... the "good" ones already have established starters, typically have groomed back-ups, and draft well... There's a reason Green Bay and New England are perennial favourites...

Yup definitely agree with that!

I realize Wild would be a very nice addition, on D and special teams, but do the bombers have the cap room to sign him? Moore, Picard, Westerman, Bryant, Willy, and Randle. The team has spent a lot recently.

You make room for guys like that. If this team has a serious cap crunch then someone has horribly mismanaged the cap situation because the team isn't nearly talented enough to be spending that big. 

We had several hundred thousands of dollars remaining from last years cap that we used to re-up guys like Denmark and Moore. We are in good cap shape. If we weren't, Neufeld would still be on the 6 game. Our FA foray was flashy but relatively inexpensive. I personally don't think we are anywhere near the cap, and I have to say that anyone who says we are projected to be 100-200k over the cap should back that up with a source. That sounds like pure fiction to me.

The bad ones like the Indianapolis Colts or the Seattle Seahawks? Seems to me a couple pretty "bad" NFL teams were the ones featuring a couple of ex-Bombers late in the NFL playoffs last year.

Very good point. I read recently that the Bombers are projected to finish the season ~$100-200k over the cap. Obviously that'll change with some creativity by Walters, but we're there already.

I would like to know where you read that because that number makes zero sense.

IIRC, I also read that on a tweet but it was based on the CFL capgeek version which is not really accurate.

D Johnson as well has taken reps in the middle, has played it in the past as well. Bass, Johnson and Randle would do more than what we have going on now. If Wild comes back maybe put him in Randles spot and put him back on the corner. He is more valuable there than where he is now.

I thought Johnson played DE/Outside L'Backer in college...and that we primarily had him as a DE...I didn't know we had him taking MLB reps...it would be great if we had him playing in that spot in the "Cowboy" set we currently have Hurl lining up in on most plays

you mean like the Seahawks, Chris Mathews, (big plays that helped them get to the Super Bowl)  John Ryan former bomber punter. who threw a touchdown pass in the semi final, or Cameron Wake, Dolphins, probably a pro bowler every year for several years. 

the steelers,  are one of the teams that have a good chance to win the whole thing. just checked, one vegas outfit has only seven teams ahead of the steelers.

etc etc 

you mean like the Seahawks, Chris Mathews, (big plays that helped them get to the Super Bowl)  John Ryan former bomber punter. who threw a touchdown pass in the semi final, or Cameron Wake, Dolphins, probably a pro bowler every year for several years. 

the steelers,  are one of the teams that have a good chance to win the whole thing. just checked, one vegas outfit has only seven teams ahead of the steelers.

etc etc 

I wasn't agreeing with him, simply pointing out why it appears that way...

but if you want to make it a fun debate I should point out a few things in your argument... Chris Matthews was largely insignificant in Seattle before the SB, was shut down in the second half of that game (by Brandon Browner, who would've have proved your point better) and it still no lock to make the team this year... Jon Ryan was signed out of the CFL by Green Bay, not Seattle... Cam Wake is phenomenal, but no one is confusing Miami for a perennial favourite... and yes the Steelers are trying out a couple guys this year but are both considered to be long shots...

I don't agree that only the "bad" teams sign CFLers... but it's easy to see why that's the perception...

6 gaming Picard maybe become a reality this year for you guys. I'd be all in to get Wild back if I was you guys. Even though he isn't MLB size, the guy just makes play after play. Need a guy like that in the middle so he is free to make plays on both side of the field.

6 gaming Picard maybe become a reality this year for you guys. I'd be all in to get Wild back if I was you guys. Even though he isn't MLB size, the guy just makes play after play. Need a guy like that in the middle so he is free to make plays on both side of the field.

We can get Wild back and play Picard. Entering the season we were probably in the best cap shape of any team in the league. LOL at those CapGeek projections. They say we are going to be 100-200k over the cap but also say that there are several teams in the CFL that will be 500-600k over the cap. They are so out to lunch I'm not sure why anyone with a reasonable intelligence level would even remotely think they are close. They don't even have most of the salaries reported for any team yet. Most of them are just an arbitrary number they made up themselves because they have no info on the player.

IIRC, I also read that on a tweet but it was based on the CFL capgeek version which is not really accurate.

In a radio interview prior to camp, I believe on TSN, Walters was asked if all the FA signings meant they may have to make personnel decisions based on the contracts as opposed to the talent.  His answer (paraphrasing of course) was that they already knew prior to camp that they could choose the most expensive player as the starter at every position and still be comfortably under the cap.

I think, but am not positive, that this interview might have been done prior to the Westerman signing, but based on the tone of his answer I doubt the extra cash Westeman gets over the guy whose spot he took would be a factor either.

The Bombers and Walters are aware that players of high CFL value can shake loose every September.  This is not a news flash for them.  They will have planned for this.  What I am curious about is what position we are in if Wild AND Muamba shake loose.  I don't think Muamba will be coming back north this year, but if he does he's getting a prorated contract in the range of 200k, and unlike Wild, Muamba is a lock to turn into a bidding war, with maybe the Greenwood-rich Argos as the only team not making a call.  How well are the Bombers prepared for that circumstance?  Couldn't say.

Yes that's where I read it. CFL CapGeek.

6 gaming Picard maybe become a reality this year for you guys. I'd be all in to get Wild back if I was you guys. Even though he isn't MLB size, the guy just makes play after play. Need a guy like that in the middle so he is free to make plays on both side of the field.

We can get Wild back and play Picard. Entering the season we were probably in the best cap shape of any team in the league. LOL at those CapGeek projections. They say we are going to be 100-200k over the cap but also say that there are several teams in the CFL that will be 500-600k over the cap. They are so out to lunch I'm not sure why anyone with a reasonable intelligence level would even remotely think they are close. They don't even have most of the salaries reported for any team yet. Most of them are just an arbitrary number they made up themselves because they have no info on the player.

Actually they projected only Winnipeg and Montreal to go over the cap this year.

In a radio interview prior to camp, I believe on TSN, Walters was asked if all the FA signings meant they may have to make personnel decisions based on the contracts as opposed to the talent.  His answer (paraphrasing of course) was that they already knew prior to camp that they could choose the most expensive player as the starter at every position and still be comfortably under the cap.

I think, but am not positive, that this interview might have been done prior to the Westerman signing, but based on the tone of his answer I doubt the extra cash Westeman gets over the guy whose spot he took would be a factor either.

The Bombers and Walters are aware that players of high CFL value can shake loose every September.  This is not a news flash for them.  They will have planned for this.  What I am curious about is what position we are in if Wild AND Muamba shake loose.  I don't think Muamba will be coming back north this year, but if he does he's getting a prorated contract in the range of 200k, and unlike Wild, Muamba is a lock to turn into a bidding war, with maybe the Greenwood-rich Argos as the only team not making a call.  How well are the Bombers prepared for that circumstance?  Couldn't say.

You pay Muamba whatever you can and forget about Wild. Muamba is the better player, and he is Canadian.