Attendance

I won't go to a weekday game at 6 because it's too hard to make it on time and have a nice 3 course supper first and be able to watch the entire warm-ups.

I won't go to a weekday game that starts anytime after 7:00 because then I get home too late to get my required 8 hours of beauty rest.

Nor will I go to ANY game on Saturday between June 1st - September 15th because I am either at the cottage, camping, at Folk Fest, Countryfest, mowing the lawn, or attending the Winnipeg Jets' Stanley Cup Parade.

Sunday evening is out because I'm either still at the lake or getting my rest for work the next day.

Sunday afternoon might work, until the NFL season starts then that's out too.

So it's simple really: all the games should be Sunday afternoon until the NFL season starts. Then take a few (?) weeks off completely and then have all the games Saturday. 

And also, we're going to need a Stadium in every neighbourhood of the city and maybe one in Brandon and Steinbach, all with the same game being played simultaneously on all of them so no one has to worry about long travel times and traffic getting there.

Why can't the dumb CFL get this right??

Ever thought ticket pricing may be the main issue here? That what we pay for in $$$$ to have our seats doesn't match what is displayed on the field? 

I won't go to a weekday game at 6 because it's too hard to make it on time and have a nice 3 course supper first and be able to watch the entire warm-ups.

I won't go to a weekday game that starts anytime after 7:00 because then I get home too late to get my required 8 hours of beauty rest.

Nor will I go to ANY game on Saturday between June 1st - September 15th because I am either at the cottage, camping, at Folk Fest, Countryfest, mowing the lawn, or attending the Winnipeg Jets' Stanley Cup Parade.

Sunday evening is out because I'm either still at the lake or getting my rest for work the next day.

So it's simple really: all the games should be Sunday afternoon until the NFL season starts. Then take a few (?) weeks off completely and then have all the games Saturday. 

And also, we're going to need a Stadium in every neighbourhood of the city and maybe one in Brandon and Steinbach, all with the same game being played simultaneously on all of them so no one has to worry about long travel times and traffic getting there.

And if the CFL has that attitude they better hope the TV deal $$$ keeps rising exponentially, because if you're talking diehards who will go no matter what you're looking at 20,000 per city in the West and significantly less in the East.  Gate revenue will be stagnant at best.

They are in competition with many factors for getting butts in seats, including TSN now.

Ever thought ticket pricing may be the main issue here? That what we pay for in $$$$ to have our seats doesn't match what is displayed on the field? 

a7eeae038851851a2b0507cca1917b04.jpeg

Based on attendance it isn't an NFL town either or at least not a Buffalo NFL town.

I agree not a buffalo NFL team. We didn't sell out NHL pre season games before the jets came back. Cant expect them to come out and watch a team that isn't theirs.

Toronto isn't a cfl town. Population isn't the issue. It is perceived as an inferior good.

I get the feeling they don't really care about anything else other than the Leafs down there. The Leafs seemingly are the only team there with a consistently good attendance, even when they suck.

EDIT: Oh, and the Blue Jays obviously.

It's all about perspective.  Two teams play at every game.  Most of the time the visiting team has been worth watching.

Just turn your jersey inside out.

Toronto isn't a cfl town. Population isn't the issue. It is perceived as an inferior good.

Just like the MJHL, CIAU Basketball and CIAU Football in Winnipeg.

CIAU volleyball and hockey does do better for attendance, but not by much.

I get the feeling they don't really care about anything else other than the Leafs down there. The Leafs seemingly are the only team there with a consistently good attendance, even when they suck.

Blue Jays don't have good attendance when they suck.

Not spectacular, but absolutely better than the Argos. Jays are still very popular.

Not spectacular, but absolutely better than the Argos. Jays are still very popular.

Hey Durresler just curios as you live in St. John. Do you see people in CFL gear or out at bars watching games or anything? My girlfriend moved to WPG from Nova Scotia and she says there's not much interest in the CFL out east. Is that true from what you've seen?

I was watching Bob McCown the other day and one of the guys on the show was saying that once the Jays came to town it hurt the Argos because now Torontonians think they are too good for the CFL. "Who wants to see Toronto play a team from Saskatchewan when I can watch Toronto play the New York Yankees". Different sports of course, but the guy sounded like a typical Toronto putz and exactly the kind of person that makes sure Canada stays united in its universal hatred of Toronto.

Toronto isn't a sports town it's not even a hockey town, it is all things Maple Leafs end of story. As for the league i'm gonna wait till week 7-8  to really look at attendance figures, but i got a bad feeling. Toronto will be flat Montreal is dropping Ottawa  has new car smell and Hamilton, new stadium and good team. Vancouver has already closed upper deck, Edmonton is just to big makes crowd look small,Calgary is stable, and Saskatchewan is Saskatchewan. Winning helps attendance in certain markets but you can be winners every year.  

I was watching Bob McCown the other day and one of the guys on the show was saying that once the Jays came to town it hurt the Argos because now Torontonians think they are too good for the CFL. "Who wants to see Toronto play a team from Saskatchewan when I can watch Toronto play the New York Yankees". Different sports of course, but the guy sounded like a typical Toronto putz and exactly the kind of person that makes sure Canada stays united in its universal hatred of Toronto.

And it's so funny because, to me, the reason I love the CFL as much as I do, is for the regional rivalries. I don't give two shits about a team from New York, but I care a whole hell of a lot about the province next door. Maybe I'm not a good sports fan because I don't care as much about Best On Best and maybe I'm too patriotic, but for me, the real beauty of the CFL is how strictly CANADIAN it is...

Hey Durresler just curios as you live in St. John. Do you see people in CFL gear or out at bars watching games or anything? My girlfriend moved to WPG from Nova Scotia and she says there's not much interest in the CFL out east. Is that true from what you've seen?

There isn't a tonne of interest out here, but I have seen some jerseys around (1 eskimo jersey, 1 rider jersey, and possibly someone in Stamps gear, but can't remember). Don't really go to bars much (sometimes pubs though), so haven't really seen if anyone meets for games or not. There is in fact though a group of Rider fans based in Fredericton that meets up for many of the Rider games. Group is usually from 5 to 12 people.

Oddly enough, even though Montreal is the closest team to Saint John, I have yet to see someone in Als gear and all of the gear I've seen have been west division teams.

And it's so funny because, to me, the reason I love the CFL as much as I do, is for the regional rivalries. I don't give two shits about a team from New York, but I care a whole hell of a lot about the province next door. Maybe I'm not a good sports fan because I don't care as much about Best On Best and maybe I'm too patriotic, but for me, the real beauty of the CFL is how strictly CANADIAN it is...

It's the same for me. The big draw of the CFL is that it's local. Who gives a **** about New York or California or where ever else in the States? Give me a team I can be invested in because it's regional. 

I actually think the bad sports fans are the ones who only care about the biggest most over hyped teams/sports. NFL has this problem and it's also why I refuse to follow it despite loving football. The amount of hype is disproportionate to the actual excitement of the game. ******* Americans, gotta ruin everything by trying to make every game the greatest game in the history of our sport!

I noticed for the upcoming BC game there are seats in certain sections of the north and south endzone priced at $23.50 (1 youth and 1 adult) which includes the service fees.  It's a Salisbury House offer that requires a code.  Half price seats.  Good to see the club forming a partnership with Sals to provide a low price alternative for families for those tough-to-sell seats.

It's the same for me. The big draw of the CFL is that it's local. Who gives a **** about New York or California or where ever else in the States? Give me a team I can be invested in because it's regional. 

I actually think the bad sports fans are the ones who only care about the biggest most over hyped teams/sports. NFL has this problem and it's also why I refuse to follow it despite loving football. The amount of hype is disproportionate to the actual excitement of the game. ******* Americans, gotta ruin everything by trying to make every game the greatest game in the history of our sport!

Hey, hey, don't disrespect the NFL! They are the "world" champions, after all. :rolleyes:

The CFL is far and away more entertaining than MLB, NFL or NBA, but those who follow those sports are buying into all the hype and not the game per se. Sort of like Justin Bieber fans as opposed to Josh Groban.

I don't see a difference between Bieber and Groban. They're both bad. Are you comparing the CFL to Josh Groban?

The CFL is far and away more entertaining than MLB, NFL or NBA, but those who follow those sports are buying into all the hype and not the game per se. Sort of like Justin Bieber fans as opposed to Josh Groban.

I don't see a difference between Bieber and Groban. They're both bad. Are you comparing the CFL to Josh Groban?
Yup. Groban actually has talent as opposed to Bieber whose only attribute appears to be his ability to embarrass Canada.

Yup. Groban actually has talent as opposed to Bieber whose only attribute appears to be his ability to embarrass Canada.
http://youtu.be/6VqRlO3wa1A