Chris Greaves on the Move?

Atomic

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/05/17/greaves-on-the-move

The Bombers have already gotten rid of one high priced Canadian offensive lineman in Steve Morley.

Now that they have Sukh Chungh in the fold, could another one be on his way out? The CFL rumour mill suggests that could very well be the case.

Left guard Chris Greaves' name has popped up in trade rumours in the wake of last Tuesday's draft, during which the Blue and Gold selected Chungh with the second overall pick.

I'd be surprised if Greaves actually gets moved. We've finally got some depth on the OL. The price would have to be high, similar to the Bomben deal. In fact I would want even more for Greaves... I'm not sure anyone would be willing to pay it right now.

I could understand the rationale from a pure numbers standpoint. Between Greaves, Picard, Neufeld, Goossen, and Chungh, there are 5 guys competing for 4 spots on the opening day roster. No one wants to see Chungh or Goossen get scratched. But with Neufeld's health I would prefer to let that sort itself out.

I would want another OL coming back, even if it's a back-up, for depth purposes. I'm not a big fan of trading one of our only consistent OL from the last several years.

I guess the question is how much confidence does the coaching staff have in Quinn Everett? If he can be close to serviceable, I think we'd be fine with NI depth without Greaves.

Right now, if Geaves, Picard and Neufeld are starting, we have Goossen, Chungh and Everett as Canadian OL depth. If Everett can step in as an injury replacement, I don't think you'd need an OL in return, as you'd still have Goossen and Everett as NI depth. Plus in a pinch, with the acquisition of Westerman, you could start 3 imports on the OL and still be fine with the ratio.

This wouldn't make sense to me... he's one of the few guys who stayed healthy and who wasn't an absolute turnstile and he has the right passport.

I agree Greaves is solid, but when you're paying 5 guys and only have 2 spots, maybe it's best to trade one for a future asset. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to trade Greaves. Walters also seems to want to make this HIS team, and get rid of the Mack era leftovers.

If I have to guess, they are looking for...

... a starter (or potential starter) receiver.

... or 1st or 2nd rounder that they will use on the supplemental draft for waggonner.

Would BC Westerman - WPG Greaves a good possible trade ? B)

... or 1st or 2nd rounder that they will use on the supplemental draft for waggonner.

You can only use your own picks in the supplemental draft.

You can only use your own picks in the supplemental draft.

Yes, but acquiring a second one would ensure we still have a 2nd round pick next year, even if we use our own in the supplemental draft this year. 

Why???wouldn't a trade have been made with Taman during the draft if it involved Greaves....Can't see it myself, as excellent canuck o linemen carry a huge premium....We are just putting a quality o line together and want some sort of consistency.. I think it's a reach but this is the CFL,so you never know. Now Greaves for Westerman in B.C. ....hmmm.

if Greaves is traded, it's safe to say that Chungh is the starter LG. I will assume that Goossen is the RG and Neufeld will be the 6th OL who can play any position in the interior and RT.

They still have Quinn (RG) and Griffiths.

They can also choose to pickup Billy Peach and/or Chris Mercer as cheaper depths.

I'm starting to believe the Bombers is changing the makeup of our Oline from - gentle giants tothe group of nasty bullies.

if Greaves is traded, it's safe to say that Chungh is the starter LG. I will assume that Goossen is the RG and Neufeld will be the 6th OL who can play any position in the interior and RT.

They still have Quinn (RG) and Griffiths.

They can also choose to pickup Billy Peach and/or Chris Mercer as cheaper depths.

Good point on Peach. I'm not sure Goossen is a shoe-in at RG though. I think that'll be a TC battle between Goossen and Neufeld, and I have a feeling Neufeld wins it.

I'm not sure this supposed move is about an abundance of depth.  To me it reeks of a cap move.  With Picard and Bryant pulling down some huge cash.  It seems to me Walters is looking at his O-line as a cap liability and he's now looking to free up some cash and Greaves is probably the easiest one to loose. 

I'm not sure this supposed move is about an abundance of depth. To me it reeks of a cap move. With Picard and Bryant pulling down some huge cash. It seems to me Walters is looking at his O-line as a cap liability and he's now looking to free up some cash and Greaves is probably the easiest one to loose.

I'd say both factor into the decision. Bottom line is if Chungh is ready to start, you can't have a guy making $145k sitting on the bench.

The lack of depth at the o line has been an on going huge problem. To trade away an element of that depth makes no sense. To say this is due to cap liability indicates that where was the thought process when these other moves were taking place. Perhaps someone might have been wise to have a calculator on their desk.