Bombers sign LB Sammy Brown

Jpan85

WINNIPEG, MB., May 14, 2015 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has signed International linebacker Sammy Brown

Brown (6-2 240, Houston, April 17, 1990 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi) has spent the past three seasons with the St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins, after playing two seasons (2010, 2011) at the University of Houston. In 2010, he registered 76 tackles and 7.5 sacks, while leading Conference USA in tackles for loss with 20. As a senior the following year, he had 93 tackles and a league-leading 13.5 sacks,  while leading the entire NCAA with 30 tackles for loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Brown

Sammy Brown
5122193.jpeg

arrow.gifClass:
Senior arrow.gifHometown:
Wiggins, Miss. arrow.gifLast College:
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College arrow.gifHeight / Weight:
6-3 / 240 arrow.gifPosition:
LB arrow.gifBirthdate:
04/17/1990 arrow.gifExperience:
1L

Career | 2011 Game-by-Game | 2010 Game-by-Game

• 2011 Phil Steele Preseason Third-Team All-Conference (LB)
• 2011 College Football Performance Awards Linebacker Watch List
• 2010 All-Conference USA Honorable Mention (LB)
• Conference USA co-Defensive Player of the Week (Oct. 24, 2010)
Rivals.com Conference USA Player of the Week (Oct. 24, 2010)

Senior (2011): Recorded 3.5 tackles for a loss of 9 yards, a QB hurry and seven tackles against UCLA ... Ranks No. 2 in NCAA in tackles for loss (3.5).

Junior (2010): Played in all 12 games and started 11 ... Led Conference USA and ranked fifth in the NCAA in tackles for loss with 20 ... The 20 TFL rank tied for sixth in the Houston record books ... Ranked tied for fourth in Conference USA in quarterback sacks ... Made his collegiate debut against Texas State during the season opener ... Finished with six tackles, including an assist on a 4-yard sack against the Bobcats ... Recorded six tackles, including four solo stops, with a tackle for a 1-yard loss ... Also added a forced fumble, pass breakup and three quarterback hurries against the Miners.. recorded four tackles, including at 4-yard sack, at UCLA ... Posted three tackles, including one for a 3-yard loss, and added a quarterback pressure against Tulane ... Made eight tackles, all solo, against Rice...also had five tackles for loss (31 yards) and two sacks (22 yards) bringing the Owls back 53 yards in total ... Delieverd a performance that earned him co-Defensive Player of the Week against SMU ... Led the team with eight tackles, including seven solo stops ... Also had two sacks totaling five yards, four tackles for loss totaling 10 yards, and a forced fumble against the Mustangs ...Had four tackles, including one solo and an assisted sack for a 2-yard loss against Memphis ... Led the team with 11 tackles including four solo stops, of which two were for a total of four yards lost against UCF ... Made seven tackles, including an assisted sack for a 2-yard loss and a tackle for a 4-yard loss against Tulsa ... Posted 12 tackles, two for loss and a sack at USM ... Had three stops, including one for loss in the season finale at Texas Tech.

Junior College: Joined Houston at semester break and competed in spring practice... Three-star recruit by Rivals.com at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College ... No. 2 junior college outside linebacker by Scout.com ... Second-Team All-State Mississippi Association of Junior Colleges ... Registered 64 tackles, one forced fumble and two interceptions.

High School: Competed at Stone County High in Wiggins, Miss.

Personal: Full name is Sammy Lee Brown, Jr. ... Born April 17, 1990, in Hattiesburg, Miss. ... Son of Monica Bostic ... Majoring in sociology.

Brown's Career Bests
Tackles: 11, vs. UCF (11-5-10)
Sacks: 2.0, at Rice (10-16-10)
Tackles for Loss: 5.0, at Rice (10-16-10)
Forced Fumbles: 1, vs. UTEP (9-10-10)
Pass Breakups: 1, vs. UTEP (9-10-10)

30 in one year is actually the second highest single season total since they started recording the stat. The year he did it, the next closest was Cordarro Law with 22.

Not knowing anything about this guy I immediately had him pegged as a middle linebacker but I have no idea where he's gonna line up. Rush end?

Figures why he would wait till now to sign with us. Wonder if they have had him on the neg list for a while?

Now that you mention it, I think he has been on our negotiation list for a while. I think I recognize the name from the article Tait put out a few years back with names on it. I'll check

edit: nope, nevermind. wasn't him.

Jesus christ ...

This guy ranks 22nd all time in NCAA history with 50 tackles for a loss. And he only played two years. The all time leader is Khalil Mack with 75 and he played four full years.

Other names with 50? Von Miller. Ndamukong Suh. Phillip Hunt.

IS he going to play LB or LB/DE?

30 in one year is actually the second highest single season total since they started recording the stat. The year he did it, the next closest was Cordarro Law with 22.

Not knowing anything about this guy I immediately had him pegged as a middle linebacker but I have no idea where he's gonna line up. Rush end?

Almost every guy comes in with impressive stats, but this...This is something else. Wow.

Apparently he's got a rep of being lazy. Imagine if he actually starts trying?

Personal: Full name is Sammy Lee Brown, Jr. ... Born April 17, 1990, in Hattiesburg, Miss. ... Son of Monica Bostic ... Majoring in sociology.

well at least he has a solid degree to fall back on.