The future looks bright Jets fans ...

IC Khari

One more season on the Buff train then he's gone at the trade deadline ...

That's one thought but honestly I think that's a mistake. What if the jets are in a fierce battle for a playoff spot? They keep Buff and lose him for nothing? Losing him for nothing would be a massive mistake. It would be the Frolik distraction times 100. Must trade him this summer.

Was there a "Frolik Distraction"?

His status only came up every other day until the deadline passed.  I wasnt personally distracted but the discussion was there.  Are you saying you think everyone would ignore the pending UFA status of Buff as the deadline approached?

One more season on the Buff train then he's gone at the trade deadline ...

That's one thought but honestly I think that's a mistake. What if the jets are in a fierce battle for a playoff spot? They keep Buff and lose him for nothing? Losing him for nothing would be a massive mistake. It would be the Frolik distraction times 100. Must trade him this summer.

Was there a "Frolik Distraction"?

His status only came up every other day until the deadline passed.  I wasnt personally distracted but the discussion was there.  Are you saying you think everyone would ignore the pending UFA status of Buff as the deadline approached?

Yes, it was discussed at times. That doesn't automatically mean it's a distraction.

Buff is a much different deal that Frolik. Frolik's just another guy, whereas Buff is pretty much the face of the franchise right now.

I'd take Doan, but it would really depend on what pick we give up. He's a 3rd liner now and probably only has a year left in him. I wouldn't go higher than a 3rd rounder.

I wouldn't want Lupul on my team at all, never mind giving up Enstrom for him.

Right, it all depends on what pick they want in return. The Jets threads are full of people talking about how Buff's playoff experience, leadership and locker room presence is such an asset that makes up for his perceived shortcomings. Doan brings all these things, and and is a community-minded player to boot.

Doan is the epitome of a team player...if he's invested in that team. I can think of no finer example. But why would he even feel invested in this team, in that way? He's got 1 year left of hockey, I would agree. Unless Doan himself, promotes this idea...I would pass.

Maybe if the Jets were 'that close' to a deep run, but it wouldn't do much..other than disrupt what they are building towards now.

We gotta let him go.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/mirtle-modern-nhl-general-managers-need-to-be-smart-rational-and-ruthless/article24132157/?click=sf_globe

Good article - a bit scary as Chevy seems pretty loyal to the core...  I think trades are coming back in style - too many teams in cap trouble.

I think Chevy will surprise us and add a couple legit pieces for a cup run next year - maybe even someone like Patrick Sharp

I defended Doan more than most during the Coyotes-to-Winnipeg window.  A lot of people here were critical of him when he said hed consider retiring before moving to Winnipeg.  I defended him as being pro-Coyotes as the Captain of the team.  But when he now makes remarks about wanting to play for a winner or having to give it some thought, I really wonder about him.  I think he's a guy that grew up in the NHL in Arizona, no doubt loves the state.  He doesnt seem as accepting of the realities of the NHL as most players.

If he cost us virtually nothing, I'd be interested in him.  But 38 going on retired....?  Aside from character depth in a playoff run, I dont see the value.

Enstrom for Lupul? LOL, talk about under valuing enstrom, my god, the bleacher report? Well, they are wrong 100 percent of the time it seems so theres no chance that happens AT ALL. 

#1 LHD man for an injury prone overpaid winger? Not in NHL the video game and not in real life ever. Toronto adds and lots. Don't want LUPUL near this team EVER. Don't think the Jets would do that

Doan for a pick? Doubt it also, See no need to add Doan, be neat if it happened, a late pick? sure, a first 2nd or 3rd rounder? No Thanks. 

Enstrom for Lupul hurts this team so much it's ridiculous. Toby is our top LHD man and we have nobody on the roster that can replace him right now. Not even close actually. People have this weird hate on for Enstrom because he had a tough 3 or so games in the playoffs. I don't get it tho, you do not under any circumstances trade your number 1 by a longshot left handed d man for a constantly injured overpaid winger.

Enstrom would get back so much more, he's so undervalued and under appreciated by Jets fans cuz he's small, It's ridiculous. 

Lupul? No thanks. Not what the Jets need at all. 

I agree Goalie.  People really need to look at the big picture.  The same reason Buff is expendable is the reason Enstrom isnt.  Buff is number 3 on the Right Side.  Enstrom is number one on the left side.  Some people make it out that its easy to move guys to off-position.  But it's not or else they'd do it.  They might try it, but they havent really yet.  Buff played both wings as a forward, so maybe he can move to 2LD but generally if a D is off-position, you need to be pretty speedy to get to pucks along the boards.

I think Enstrom is here long term.

Myers,Trouba,Buff

Toby,Stu,Chiarot

Yeah pretty obvious which guy i would be moving out of that group.. It's the guy getting paid like he's a top pairing d man but is playing on the third pair.

Maybe if Buff can be moved for a top 4 d, then maybe i think about moving Toby, cuz Toby also would get quite a bit back, he's so undervalued it's actually crazy... plenty of teams would give up tons to get him..

Let's bring recent history into this..

LA traded their first (protected tho, because they didn't make the playoffs so its' a 2016 1st to Carolina) plus a pretty good D prospect for Sekera. RENTAL

NYR gave up a 1st (this year), a great prospect in Duclair and something else for Yandle. 1 year remaining on his deal

Buff would get back atleast that..Sekera a pure rental for LA got back a 1st and a legit D prospect

Toby? a legit number 1 LHD signed to a decent deal for what? 3 more years? man oh man, you'd get back a ton. 

31 years old , under-sized with 4 awful playoff games under his belt... 6 goals a year, 20 assists... signed for almost $6 mill cap hit

I'll pass.  His only trade value is to a young, non-playoff team that needs a safe, boring Dman.

He's 30 years old.  Has 2 50+ point seasons.  Is a consistent 30+ point producer.

And again, the most important question is, who do you replace him with?  He was signed to his deal when the Jets had literally nothing on the back-end and needed consistency and to show stability there.  He was head & shoulders the number 1 guy when he was signed.  The D-corp has caught up with Myers & Trouba and good prospects.  But Buff makes the same as Toby (more this season), is he better on D?  Well, Toby is 1LHD and Buff is 3RHD so you tell me.  And Buff is going to get a raise and make Toby's deal look like a bargain.

I like Stu and Chairot but if you're advocating one of them become our number one Left handed d next season, I question your sanity.  Its the same thing with the Buff debate - we have depth at Buff's position thus he is expendable.  We do not have depth at Toby's position, not yet, thus he is valuable.