The future looks bright Jets fans ...

IC Khari

Buff is not really an elite d man tho, to be an elite d man, you need to be able to play D. He's a good player but lately, he's caused more harm than good.

When Buff isn't doing good things, he's either not doing anything or is caught out of position. The last several games now, several, 10 15 20 games with Buff on D, since the All Star Break Really, he has not been good at all. 

Things that make you go hmmm

Without Buff in the lineup, The Jets win more than they lose, it's a significant amount too.

Without Toby in the lineup, the Jets win more than they lose, it's a significant amount too.

Tells me those 2 are replaceable. 

When Buff is on, he's on but when he's off and lately he's been off more than he has been on, He's a liability out there. 

I wouldn't give him a big money long term deal, not a chance... He's just not worth the 6 7 8 million a year he will get elsewhere. Especially to a team like the Jets, who in reality, they are building this team through the youth. Buff is our 3rd best Right Handed D man, He's not worth what it would cost to keep him when one day and soon you will have to extend trouba,lowry,scheif and the sorts. 

Gotta remember what the D in D man stands for... Buff does not bring that. 

He's an elite hockey player. Good would not be an adjective to describe the plays that man can make at 260 pounds on two blades of steel. Maybe you and I differ on what elite means. By NHL standards, Adam Pardy is an average hockey player. 

He can be an elite player. Problem is he is inconsistent.

I would not keep buff until the trade deadline. That's too big a move to make at that time for a Jets team we hope is battling for a playoff spot. If the decision is to move on, do it asap

I agree.  You either move him in the off season or you risk getting nothing for him.

Hopefully the Jets are contending for a playoff spot at the trade deadline next season (anything can happen in our division).  If they are out, then you will of course trade him.  If they are in, there is no way you can trade him at that point.

ans Rich doesn't that mean they really have to make a decision this summer? Sign or trade. No Frolik scenario

I think the Frolik scenario is a possibility.  Chevy isn't the type to paint himself into absolutes like that.

If they can't agree to terms on an extension, they may still decide there is value in having him play-out his final year here.  I know everyone is always about never losing an asset for nothing,  but there is an intrinsic value in him playing one more year here.  One more year to bridge the time for some of the younger defence prospects  to develop, even if it means him moving to the left side.

Our prospect cupboard isn't as bare as it was when the team first got here, they may decide that one more year of being a legit contender for a playoff spot is worth more to the growth of the "new' core then what they could get for Byfuglien.

It really comes down to what other teams are willing to pay.   I don't think they would move him for pure picks and prospects.  There would have to be at least one legit roster player coming back (top 6 or top 6 potential for a forward would be nice).    

I also don't think Chevy will trade him if he doesn't get back what he perceives as fair value.  If the market isn't what he wants, he will keep him the extra year. That could change depending on what happens with Frolik and Stafford.  If we can't re-sign either of them, then a top 6 forward really becomes a priority.  

I wouldn't mind seeing him moved, but I don't even know what a fair return would be.  RH defensemen is an area of strength for the team right now.  Out of the 3, Buff is the obvious one to go due to age and contract.  

Too many unknowns at this point to really say he has to re-sign or he will be traded.

I'd consider it a failure of management and Chevy's only real black mark if they hung onto Buff and lost him to Free Agency next summer.  Time is now to move him.  Im sure he's a great guy and good for the locker room and if he was willing to take $2 million, those are good buys.  But not for what he wants and surely his agent will be trying to cash in on the last big contract of his career.  The team seems to love him but a guy that shows up every few games, what message does that send to the rest of the team?

Maybe trade him to Buffalo... ;-)

I think at some point we will have to loose a player and get nothing. Maybe a few.

Chevy cant make rock star trades all the time.

I can see us offering deals to players for what we think they are worth... How much is Buff worth to us? How much is he worth to others? I duno. Same with Fro....  Whats he worth to us?  Staff to?  I think we offer what we think and not the market value.

We will loose somebody for nothing.

When teams get good, they start to lose players for nothing. That's just what happens... There is only so much money to go around. That's why Perreault is a Jet and not a Duck right now. Ideally you will make a trade but it doesn't always work that way.

Yeah for the most part the kids are alright. Lowry was tremendous. Hard to believe he's a rookie. Team is very exciting. Played the best team in the conference very hard and very close all series. Hard not to proud of the team over all.

Will be another exciting off season with many changes coming.

Great season and yup future looks good but.. the goaltending Is the big question mark. Pav played well and held them in it but that last Kesler goal when jets had all the momentum was that 1 bad goal he let's in every game. That was the back breaker.

Yeah for the most part the kids are alright. Lowry was tremendous. Hard to believe he's a rookie. Team is very exciting. Played the best team in the conference very hard and very close all series. Hard not to proud of the team over all.

Will be another exciting off season with many changes coming.

We made excellent strides this season no doubt.. Not sure if there will be THAT many changes tho. Core is really solid with youth movement coming along nicely..

Slater stafford Frolik Tlusty Stempniak are all ufa. Peluso Galiardi also ufa. O'Dell too I think. Chiarot rfa. Role players really.

Chiarot should be signed. Stempniak too. Stafford and Frolik be nice if not long term and big money.

The rest are a meh really.

You're right. Mostly minor changes but I think they have nine UFA's. So changes nonetheless.

Yup. Some role players will be moved or not re-signed but I only see a key cog going if the deal Chevy makes or is offered is too much to pass on..

With what Maurice is saying it sounds like Ladd was a warrior playing with significant injuries. It was tough not to get down on him but I said a day or two ago we need to wait and see why the injury is.

Ladd and buff are very close. I wonder if that plays into it. I'd resign Ladd. I'd trade buff. Ladd is pretty consistent season to season.

Still say Ladd has had a groin injury for about a month now...

He will be 31 when he hits UFA - I think you hurt the team if you trade him but probably should just let him walk in a year or re-sign at a cut rate

Stemp and Slater are 32... not resigning either of them

Really would try for Stafford for 3 years, Frolik too

Buff and Enstrom are 30 and played like playoff rookies - probably time to cut bait

Potential is there... Thrashers core is running out of time though