The future looks bright Jets fans ...

IC Khari

We need more Michael Ferlands - guys who play hard but don't take stupid penalties.  Buff takes too many penalties and is just too slow.  If he won't play forward then it's time to move him to an NHL graveyard like Arizona or Florida where he can toil away in anonymity until he retires.

Buff's skating is fine. His straight line speed is very good. He doesn't have the quickest first step, but you can't expect that from a guy his size.

A lack of quickness is exposed more at forward than on D.

I agree, the danger in going too young too fast.  There is a real possibility we miss the playoffs next year if the goal is to get Ehlers, petan, Morrissey and whomever else into the regular line up.  But we're also lucky to have these "two cores" and not have an aging group that needs to be rebuilt.  Our first core is in that 27-30 year old range.  perfect for "right now" (say a 5 year window to win now) and our young core is 18-22, perfect to win in the future.

Keep Ladd.  Little and Wheeler are here.  Try to sign Frolik or Stafford.  Now you're loaded up on "right now" vets.  I just dont want to be paying 5 years from now for a player that doesnt impact us enough right now to make it worth it.  Buff has micro-impacts.  Those moments and occasionally entire games where he decides he's playing like a beast.  But his macro-value is less especially now.  The team was fine, even better, when he was suspended.  When Bogo was here, Buff was ahead of him on the depth chart.  Now, Myers is ahead of Buff.  Trouba will be shortly if he isnt already.  If Buff is consistently Buff, other players have surpassed him.

The danger is in going too young too fast. We already have one of the youngest teams in the league. People are all about getting rid of Buff but who takes his place next year? Postma? And this is supposed to make our team better? Don't count on it.

I'd argue there's no room for Buff right now. Buff, Trouba and Myers are all RHD who need 27-28 minutes a game to be at their best. Numbers don't add up. Unless Buff is willing to go back to forward and be compensated as a 3rd liner, I'd say he's as good as gone.

The danger is in going too young too fast. We already have one of the youngest teams in the league. People are all about getting rid of Buff but who takes his place next year? Postma? And this is supposed to make our team better? Don't count on it.

I'd argue there's no room for Buff right now. Buff, Trouba and Myers are all RHD who need 27-28 minutes a game to be at their best. Numbers don't add up. Unless Buff is willing to go back to forward and be compensated as a 3rd liner, I'd say he's as good as gone.

Chevy said today he wants to keep the team together, specifically mentioned Ladd and Buff.  Now Chevy is the type to choose his words carefully.  But thats the conversation right, where does Buff fit in?  He's not the top minute guy anymore.  Myers is.  Trouba cannot be stifled.  He's the number 2 D-man, probably going to be number 1 sooner than later.  So when Buff says "where do I fit in over a 6 year contract?".  Plus, Buff wont sign to play forward, most likely.

I dont see, from the Jets perspective why they would sign him for long term but knowing Chevy he probably would try.  But why would Buff sign without some promises.  Unless they can convert someone to LHD.  When you look at the D, all things being equal, we have an excess.  So someone should go...to save the money, get the return and provide better minutes for the other guys.

Just shocked that people think we can be a better team next year with Armia over Frolik/Stafford and Postma over Byfuglien. Speaking of things that don't add up...

Paper is one thing.  Practice is another.  Its about Chemistry.  And it's not minus Buff, plus Postma.  if you minus Buff, you add others.

And why can't Armia make the team better?  Last summer people would say gee we better resign Jokinen or what, we're gonna go into the season with Lowry as our 3C??  And look how that turned out.   Re-sign Ladd.  Re-sign one of Stafford or Frolik and you're a better team than most of the season this year.

Ladd-Little-Wheeler

Perreault-Scheif-Stafford

Ehlers-Lowry-Armia

Stemp-Copp(Slater)-Thorburn

Sure, that 3rd line looks young.  But it has potential to be very fast, exciting, offensive (in a good way).  Not to mention, what does trading Buff get you?  What does trading Burmi get you?

Why do people think its such an issue to switch a d-man to the opposite side? Literally every team does it. Rearrange the d pairings to Toby-Myers, Buff-Trouba, Stuart-Postma. Problem solved.

because it is...the Jets didnt do it.

Not with the top guys, but Chiarot, Pardy, and Harrison both played both sides.

And just because the Jets didn't do it with their top guys doesn't mean they didn't consider it and can't in the future.

Just shocked that people think we can be a better team next year with Armia over Frolik/Stafford and Postma over Byfuglien. Speaking of things that don't add up...

Paper is one thing.  Practice is another.  Its about Chemistry.  And it's not minus Buff, plus Postma.  if you minus Buff, you add others.

And why can't Armia make the team better?  Last summer people would say gee we better resign Jokinen or what, we're gonna go into the season with Lowry as our 3C??  And look how that turned out.   Re-sign Ladd.  Re-sign one of Stafford or Frolik and you're a better team than most of the season this year.

Ladd-Little-Wheeler

Perreault-Scheif-Stafford

Ehlers-Lowry-Armia

Stemp-Copp(Slater)-Thorburn

Sure, that 3rd line looks young.  But it has potential to be very fast, exciting, offensive (in a good way).  Not to mention, what does trading Buff get you?  What does trading Burmi get you?

So we're going to trade Buff and Burmi and get better players back?  Or are we going to get draft picks and prospects?  the future is nice but I'm not interested in taking a step back now that the team is finally making some progress.  It's the difference between GM's and fans.  Fans always want the next guy NOW NOW NOW, because they have seen the veterans play and seen their flaws.  Guess what?  The young guys are going to have flaws too, and they are also going to be working through the inexperience.

The best way to bring up prospects is naturally.  Let them be the organizational depth that get a chance when there is an injury.  Sure your 3rd line of Ehlers, Lowry, and Armia could be good.  But what happens when one gets injured?  All your best prospects are already on the roster so now you have to rush guys in or bring in AHL duds.  Too young, too fast, is what kills teams.  And the Jets are already walking that line.

Give away Byfuglien for nothing and the Jets are a better team.  Addition by subtraction.  Not a popular opinion I know, but it's true. 

Give away Byfuglien for nothing and the Jets are a better team.  Addition by subtraction.

No, you're dead wrong.  It doesn't work that way.  That's called the Oilers model.

Give away Byfuglien for nothing and the Jets are a better team.  Addition by subtraction.

No, you're dead wrong.  It doesn't work that way.  That's called the Oilers model.

I'm not saying Chevy should just give Buff away...his job is to get as many assets as he can for Buff.  I'm just saying that if Buff were to just go away and we get nothing in return, the Jets are a better team.

I'm not saying Chevy should just give Buff away...his job is to get as many assets as he can for Buff.  I'm just saying that if Buff were to just go away and we get nothing in return, the Jets are a better team.

I realize what you're saying and I completely disagree.

I realize what you're saying and I completely disagree.

Byfuglien is a liability.  It's that simple. 

Lol you just make stuff up and accept it as fact in your own head. He gets one goal and allows two?? Really??? That's some funny math considering he was a plus player this year. I understand the limitations of plus/minus but that right there tells everyone you are just talking out of your ass right now.