Game 59: Oiler @ Jets

IC Khari

I - Myers is not lazy, the guy is 6'8"…you try being smooth

C - Peluso started Gazdic's night, and Byfuglien rag-dolled him with a clean, powerful hit and ended his night.

E - a good effort , again, by the Jets

C - 41 shots at Fasth

H - Hutch came through when it counted.

I - injuries again, as Perrault and Stafford leave the game

P - for penalties, the Refs figured in keeping the Jets the most penalized team in the league

S - Shootout - Wheeler ended Fasth's night with his overtime move and goal

Shouldn't each of these points match the letter?

Armia is not getting a call up - let him recover and be ready for next year

Everyone is goo goo over myers because he's new - doesnt change the fact that hes sloppy in our end and doesn't get position in front of the net

Guys like chiarot got us this far... Lets not turn into a run and gun team

Chevy will be working the phones of Perrault and/or Stafford are out for any length of time. And Perrault was in a walking boot

Armia gets a call up I guess. But jets are in tough with only six guys they can reasonably play for any length of time

a walking boot is not good.....someone will be coming in.

Armia is not getting a call up - let him recover and be ready for next year

Everyone is goo goo over myers because he's new - doesnt change the fact that hes sloppy in our end and doesn't get position in front of the net

Guys like chiarot got us this far... Lets not turn into a run and gun team

It's entirely possible that everyone else isn't stupid and blinded by the newness of the trade.

Is armia hurt?

The book on Armia is he is big, fast and has elite scoring skills but is inconsistent.  Perhaps playing in the Jets system will change that.  i saw some reviews that compared him to a less skilled Teemu Selanne and they had the same agent. 

It would be tremendous if he could fill in at 2RW but we will see.  The question would be, if he can play for the Jets why couldnt he play for the Sabers...

The book on Armia is he is big, fast and has elite scoring skills but is inconsistent.  Perhaps playing in the Jets system will change that.  i saw some reviews that compared him to a less skilled Teemu Selanne and they had the same agent. 

It would be tremendous if he could fill in at 2RW but we will see.  The question would be, if he can play for the Jets why couldnt he play for the Sabers...

Everyone keeps saying this but the reality is that he could play for the Sabres, it just made no sense for them to do so.

Everyone keeps saying this but the reality is that he could play for the Sabres, it just made no sense for them to do so.

Yeah thats a good answer and one I'd figured was true.  I also dont know if you can subscribe the notion that a guy is inconsistent when he played for an awful franchise.  Its the same thing with Myers and Stafford who looked a lot better in three games with the Jets then they did all season with Buffalo.

Even Brendan Lemieux supposedly told Buffalo he had no intention if signing there.  Makes you wonder.

I sort of have a feeling the Jets might regress next season as they transition to a line up with more of their prospects.

Odell doesn't really fit what maurice likes in a player, while he did have a few good games a few seasons ago now, the guy has been a journeyman AHL'r throughout his career, started off with the ducks i beleive, couldn't crack the roster, signed with the jets, couldn't consistently crack the roster, jets waived him, picked up by the ducks i think again and couldn't crack their roster again, waived and jets picked him back up, couldn't consistently crack the Jets roster. There is something missing with Odell, i think he's one of those players that shows flashes at times but not enough to be an everyday NHL player. Reality is, they could have called him up several times this season and haven't... Logic tells me that he's just not really in their plans. 

As for Armia, apparently part of the reason he didn't play for the Sabres that much is because he's played in Europe prior and had to get used to the differences over here in North America, Ice Size being one of the major ones actually, Dude has done pretty well on a not so good Rochester team too so, we will see what happens but like every young player, he will have his ups and his downs, he will show flashes at times and look lost at others, Scheif, Lowry, even Trouba all went through the same ups and downs when coming to the NHL. It's normal for young players to do this. Armia, a finnish player coming over to play in North America the first time, welll... the differences are enormous, I like what he brings tho, he's a big RW and i think if you give him some time and not write him off after a game or 2, cuz it does take time to get used to the system the Jets are playing, he's going to do some very good things. Young skilled scoring winger, might just be what the Jets are missing. Let's just say it this way, If Armia is called up and looks like he belongs, what that means really is Jets have a decision to make on stafford or Frolik, won't sign them both, it will be just one probably. If Armia comes up and craps the bed and it looks like he needs more time in the AHL to develop, well then. Who knows. 

As for why he couldn't crack the sabres roster, it's all about the TANK. 

Armia played the last couple of games for St Johns so I assume he's healthy and ready to go.  Reading between the lines from Chevy's comments after the trade it sounds like Armia was really looking forward to getting an opportunity in the NHL that wasnt there with Buffalo.  Maurice is a good coach and will get him playing the right way.  One thing Myers and Stafford both said was how impressed they were with the complete buy in from every player in playing the system. 

It would be tremendous if Armia could be an every day player for the Jets in the 2nd/3rd line.  Hopefully Stafford isnt out at all and hopefully Perrault isnt out long.  if the Jets only recalled Armia that would be good news for one of those guys at least.

I remember when Odell was playing well for the Jets, someone asked H&L about him being a regular fixture on the team and Lawless said no, he wasnt good enough to be an every day NHL'er and I remember thinking thats odd because he's doing so well.  But he was right.

i saw some reviews that compared him to a less skilled Teemu Selanne and they had the same agent. 

Stop putting so much stock in crap like that. Every prospect gets compared to great players in terms of style, they don't compare their career trajectories, just style. For example, Oilers coach Todd Nelson recently made some comments comparing Oscar Klefbom to NIk Lidstrom. Now he never said they were the same player or that Klefbom was anywhere close to as good, just that they try and play the game in a similar fashion. That's all it means. 

Seems every year there's a centre out there in the draft compared to Yzerman or Sakic and a defenceman compared to Pronger.

i saw some reviews that compared him to a less skilled Teemu Selanne and they had the same agent. 

Stop putting so much stock in crap like that. Every prospect gets compared to great players in terms of style, they don't compare their career trajectories, just style. For example, Oilers coach Todd Nelson recently made some comments comparing Oscar Klefbom to NIk Lidstrom. Now he never said they were the same player or that Klefbom was anywhere close to as good, just that they try and play the game in a similar fashion. That's all it means. 

Seems every year there's a centre out there in the draft compared to Yzerman or Sakic and a defenceman compared to Pronger.

Okay sorry to upset you.  *rolls eyes*

I have to agree with Goalie I have no idea why people are harping on Myers,  I thought he played smart and was aggressive when needed to be and was all around solid.   

They are falling into the trap of viewing last week's trade as an easily disectable trade that can drill down to Myers for Bogosian.  As an overall defenceman, Bogosian was nearly the ideal player for the style and system the Jets are playing this year.  This system really played to his strengths.  But the trade was about much more than Myers for Bogosian.  Myers needs some time to get comfortable both in the system and with his new partner.  He won't likely ever match the physicality that Bogosian brought, but he has other strengths to his game that will emerge over time.  Patience is needed as thankfully what they were doing in Buffalo has no resemblance to what we're doing in Winnipeg.