Game 59: Oiler @ Jets

IC Khari

Re that TSN article:

I haven't seen such loose use of graphs and tables and related non-such in a long time. Just me the good old coaching/scouting and the actual visual aspect of rating a player and keep all that analytical stuff in the drawer…where it belongs.

Chevy is absolutely a corsi guy.  Myers with Enstrom is an experiment... if it doesn't work, Myers is gone next summer or at the draft.

All this talk about Myers great contract is a bit off the mark - cap hit is higher than Bogo's and if you think $7 million over three years makes a difference to David Thomson... not too sure about that.

I'm a big Myers fan not just because I think the kid is a huge talent and a workhorse defenceman that can play big minutes but his reach is just so long he's a tough guy to get around with the puck. And he's only going to get better, he's still a young kid with a long career ahead of him. I also am a bit biased as I used to watch him play for the Rockets here in Kelowna and I like to see Rockets make it in the NHL. Kelowna has produced a lot of great defencemen for the NHL - Myers, Weber, Keith, Tyson Barrie, Josh Gorges, Luke Schenn...good to see them all doing well.

Chevy is absolutely a corsi guy.  Myers with Enstrom is an experiment... if it doesn't work, Myers is gone next summer or at the draft.

All this talk about Myers great contract is a bit off the mark - cap hit is higher than Bogo's and if you think $7 million over three years makes a difference to David Thomson... not too sure about that.

I'm going to have to refer you back to the facepalms above.

What does David Thompson have to do with anything related to personnel decisions?

I know you're smart enough to know that Chevy isn't calling up Thompson on the phone and asking for an extra million so they can sign Frolik, so why are you even suggesting that he's even tangentially involved in hockey operations?  You're going to accuse people of being lazy?  That's lazy.  Cmon Floyd, I know you're better than that.

(and fyi - losing 7 million dollars makes a difference to everyone)

I would say the emergence of Trouba made Bogosian expendable for what they got back in Myers.  Not only his terrific contract, but his speed and offensive upside.  Makes the Jets that much more deadly from the D.

I wonder how good Myers would be right now if he hadn't been trapped in that black hole of suck for so many years?

This has been Bogosian's best all around season, so I really did not want to lose him, but that's unfortunately the price of the deal we made.  I don't think Trouba has anything to do with it.  And while I don't think Myers is currently physically able to replace Bogosian in the defensive end, he has the potential to grow into that as he develops.  And his offensive upside is fairly high.  So while he's not there yet, the potential for him to be better than Bogosian exists.  We'll have to wait a few years to see if the Jets can get that out of him.  Buffalo sure wasn't going to do it.  He was being asked to carry that team defensively long before he was ready, like he was supposed to be their Shea Weber.  It's the same mentality that Atlanta used to ruin so many of their prospects.  Thanks Atlanta!

Myers is a great hockey player, and it's laugh out loud funny some of the things people are saying on here to justify their own preconceived notions. Just about any team in the league would love to have him.

It is pretty insane such a clueless view of a player is being put forth here.. A shame really... The kids gonna have a great career..

Chevy is absolutely a corsi guy. Myers with Enstrom is an experiment... if it doesn't work, Myers is gone next summer or at the draft.

Why would $7 million cap hit mean a thing to David Thomson? Especially when the actual cash is significant less?

Myers traded next season? Lol. Not a chance.

Myers is a great hockey player, and it's laugh out loud funny some of the things people are saying on here to justify their own preconceived notions. Just about any team in the league would love to have him.

It is pretty insane such a clueless view of a player is being put forth here.. A shame really... The kids gonna have a great career..

A few people who really need to use Google and educate themselves before making silly remarks about a player they don't know anything about.

Heard an interesting discussion that they may be able to put Harrison on the IR retroactively as he was technically hurt.   It really depends on if he has since been practicing with the team yet.  (I suppose he could have "mysteriously" re-aggravated something).

lol Armia already hurt. Just as he could've been called up.

CLASSIC ARMIA

I'm also getting a chuckle out of Floyd falling in love with Chiarot and calling Myers lazy.

CLASSIC FLOYD

its because last game there were two incidents:  opening seconds, Myers has a miscue with Hutch that leads to a scoring chance for Oilers so Myers sucks.  And later, Chiarot leads a rush, fights through the Oilers' D and sets up a Jets goal on a great play so Chiarot is all-world. 

Interesting that they'd recall Klingberg.  The usual re-call guy is Cormier.  I would speculate that they need/want a faster more offensive body.  Usually Cormier, if he even dresses, gets very limited 4th line minutes.  I assume Klingberg would get real playing time in the top 9.

The question is, are both Perrault & Stafford hurt and the two replacement forwards will be Klinger and Buff or does this allow them to keep Buff on the back end?

Klingberg is also a natural winger while Cormier is a centre.

It's ugly but we might go into next game (and the foreseeable future depending on injury news) with forward lines of:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler

Frolik - Scheif - Byfuglien

Galiardi - Lowry - Thorburn

Klingberg - Slater - Peluso

And that's assuming they move Buff up to wing temporarily.

Confirmed - Carl Klingberg recalled by #nhljets and Joel Armia held out of practice for maintenance. So expect MP or Stafford to go on IR

#NHLJets Mathieu Perreault was just signing autographs at MTS Iceplex. Was walking gingerly, but no boot on his foot #bn