Bombers sign LB Hurl, WR Adams, OL Bryant & Dile, DL Brown

Mike

I would hope that's the plan and as far as the MLB position goes, we should be able to find better than what's on the market with a little bit of scouting down south. I give full marks to Walters for retooling the o-line with some vets, we have enough up and comers on the way that we really don't need to panic in that area. He just needs to finish the off season strong with the draft and scouting for the positions that still need help.

Curran, Peters and/or Sears would be a good pickup for today. Giguere too.

We're getting to the point where we're probably at one or two more pieces then we call it a free agency.

Like I said two days ago, I still feel we need to leave enough room on our roster to allow our scouting to pay dividends as well. We shouldn't be filling every hole in free agency.

I'd like to see us get two of Curran, Peters and Sears. At most.

We're getting to the point where we're probably at one or two more pieces then we call it a free agency.

Like I said two days ago, I still feel we need to leave enough room on our roster to allow our scouting to pay dividends as well. We shouldn't be filling every hole in free agency.

Sounds about right.

If you listen to some of Walters interviews prior to free agency, he has basically said that the long term plan is to build through scouting and the draft.   But where the team is today doesn’t allow them to do that.  There was a huge void of talent and new players coming in the pipeline. 

So this year we went big into FA to stock up the roster.  I don’t expect this much activity in future years either.  At this point the new guys the scouting department brings in should start making their way into the lineup when we have injuries and able to prove themselves.

There were articles this morning calling out what the Bombers did yesterday and saying they overspent.  It really isn’t that much different to what Hamilton had to do when they were getting out of their years of mediocrity.  Same with Calgary many years ago.   

Going forward, if Walters and his staff do their job, we can start replacing and grooming from within.  Adding a few pieces here and there to compliment what they have.

It may sound funny, but ideally you turn into a Calgary who lost a whole lot in FA yesterday.  But it means you have a system in place where you groom and build from within and can absorb those losses.  You can pick and choose the best of the best on who you want to keep and spend money on.    You just need a solid base before you can do that.

Good chance we can draft a top defensive tackle.  Not gonna happen in free agency though, unless someone gets released.  Hamilton and Ottawa both have more Canadian DL than they can use, IMO.

I wonder if there is a trade to be made for Gaydosh? Draft pick perhaps? Combo of draft picks?

If you listen to some of Walters interviews prior to free agency, he has basically said that the long term plan is to build through scouting and the draft.   But where the team is today doesn’t allow them to do that.  There was a huge void of talent and new players coming in the pipeline. 

So this year we went big into FA to stock up the roster.  I don’t expect this much activity in future years either.  At this point the new guys the scouting department brings in should start making their way into the lineup when we have injuries and able to prove themselves.

There were articles this morning calling out what the Bombers did yesterday and saying they overspent.  It really isn’t that much different to what Hamilton had to do when they were getting out of their years of mediocrity.  Same with Calgary many years ago.   

Going forward, if Walters and his staff do their job, we can start replacing and grooming from within.  Adding a few pieces here and there to compliment what they have.

It may sound funny, but ideally you turn into a Calgary who lost a whole lot in FA yesterday.  But it means you have a system in place where you groom and build from within and can absorb those losses.  You can pick and choose the best of the best on who you want to keep and spend money on.    You just need a solid base before you can do that.

My question to the detractors saying we overspent is simple. How much do you think we spent? Is 160k too much for an AllStar LT. I think most non-idiots would agree it isn't. Is 138k too much for a veteran rotational defense/ST Ace NI? I think the market has clearly shown that is the going rate? Do they think that the rest cost us much? I doubt they were very expensive at all.

Where's the big splurge they are criticizing us for? Where is the big spend? I'm not seeing it. We took a 20k cap hit on Bryant over January, we took a 50-60k cap hit on Hurl over a complete ham and egger we would have lined up instead of him, and I doubt we took any cap hit at all on the rest of our signings...if we did they were negligible. Where's the big spend?

I see spending...but I see smart spending.

All together I see an extra cap hit of around 100k. That is a very reasonable number considering the improvements we made. Take the money we will save by dumping Morley now, and we have an even lower cap hit.

@CFL_News: #RedBlacks heard from agent for WR @SamGiguere who’s from Sherbrooke, but @REDBLACKSGM gave it a quick, “No, thanks.” via @TimCBaines #CFL

First thought was wondering if there was something he knows that we don't know.

Second thought was what an excellent game that would make - "What does Marcel Desjardins know that we don't know?"

Q: What does Marcel know that we don't know?

A: The location of every Arby's in North America.

(not the best day for this game as he managed to look totally not-incompetent yesterday, but I just can't help myself)

Actual answer to Guigere question is Ottawa is likely only starting 1 NI receiver, and with Sinopoli and the guy they had last year and potentially using a high draft pick on another receiver, does not think they need him and don't want to spend money on him.

IMO signing Curran would be as big as signing Bryant.  With Newman, Sherman and now Hurl, I don't see the need to pursue Peters but would love to see Sears back.

Curran would be the better fit..true stud in the middle and great run stuffer. A rotation of our canucks as one of the will positions (Hurl/Newman/Sherman/possibly Briggs or even Stephan), you have Bucknor at field corner with as it stands Jones (who will be a good one) as gameday back-up we can realistically field an all International D-line, which would really solidify our defence.

These are your 2 National starter on defence, 3 as the interior of our o-line and two National receivers which I am sure will not be difficult to put on the field and we are looking pretty good ratio wise.

I sure Thomas is a good guy, sure he has a motor they say doesn't stop, but in all honesty his motor doesn't have enough horse power to be a front line starter, and he was a big weakness on our defensive line last year.

If it comes down to it and game day roster says its a pick between him and Ivan Brown, the smart staff would go with Brown as he will give you the same thing if not a bit more along the line, and offers wayyy more on special teams