Kevin Glenn's future

BigBlue

Well to get experience you will have had to previously demonstrated both talent and the ability to win. Sort of goes hand in hand with experience.

So then I really can't figure out how Glenn has lasted this long. Other than people thinking that Kevin Glenn 2015 is still KG 2007, which he isn't.
Or, crazy thought here, you're selling Glenn short because of a personal bias against the player

he is average at best and this is the CFL. There is a drought at quality qbs

Absolutely he is average, but average to some people apparently means bad. You can do worse at backup than Kevin Glenn and the Bombers have done worse since basically Kevin Glenn was a backup here there first time, that's a decade. Hell they've done worse than Kevin Glenn as a starter for most of the last decade too. 

For a team that has sucked for years at qb we sure are picky. Like we've had nothing but superstars & all stars playing qb for us the last decade so I guess I get why we are what we are as a fanbase. We've been oh so spoiled with some of the dandies we've had. Justin Goltz, Ryan Dinwiddie, Michael Bishop, Ricky Santos, Casey Bramlet, Stephan LeFors, Max Hall. Joey Elliott, Zac Champion, Bryan Randle, Alex Brink #wewantthebestandtheywon'tplayhere

You missed Kliff Kingsbury and Richie Williams. 

Kevin Glenn had 150 more passing yards than Willy, (2nd most passing yards in the CFL last year.), 3 more touchdowns than Willy did last year, only one more interception than Willy did, a passing percentage that was 0.8 less than Willy’s @ 63% and a QB rating that was 2 points higher than Willy’s, and yet there are still people here who don’t even want him as a back up?

That’s ridiculous.

If it meant giving up Brohm for Glenn I would have no problem with it because Glenn is a better QB than Brohm.

Well to get experience you will have had to previously demonstrated both talent and the ability to win. Sort of goes hand in hand with experience.

So then I really can't figure out how Glenn has lasted this long. Other than people thinking that Kevin Glenn 2015 is still KG 2007, which he isn't.
Or, crazy thought here, you're selling Glenn short because of a personal bias against the player

Absolutely he is average, but average to some people apparently means bad. You can do worse at backup than Kevin Glenn and the Bombers have done worse since basically Kevin Glenn was a backup here there first time, that's a decade. Hell they've done worse than Kevin Glenn as a starter for most of the last decade too. 

Yes, you can do a lot worse than Kevin Glenn, but you can also do better too.  Maybe the Bombers have decided that settling for mediocre and hoping for the best is one of the rasons we've been so bad for so long?  Is it possible that maybe they see a higher potential upside with the people we had here last year?

For most of the past decade mediocre would be an upgrade at qb so don't give me that crappy argument. 

Yes, you can do a lot worse than Kevin Glenn, but you can also do better too.  Maybe the Bombers have decided that settling for mediocre and hoping for the best is one of the rasons we've been so bad for so long?  Is it possible that maybe they see a higher potential upside with the people we had here last year?

For most of the past decade mediocre would be an upgrade at qb so don't give me that crappy argument. 

So by your logic, because we were less than mediocre, we should be content getting to it?  Remind me never to invite you to give the inspirational speech before a big game.  "Remember this men, there's mediocrity in each one of you, I know there is.  Get out there and show them just how mediocre you can be!"

So by your logic, because we were less than mediocre, we should be content getting to it?  Remind me never to invite you to give the inspirational speech before a big game.  "Remember this men, there's mediocrity in each one of you, I know there is.  Get out there and show them just how mediocre you can be!"

I'm interested in taking a step forward before winning the race. Progress, even a little bit is a worthwhile endeavour. Going from bad to great is unrealistic, going from bad to average to great is a much easier transition though. Too many people impatient and looking for those magic beans that will fix everything, they don't appreciate the process of building something up. 

I'm interested in taking a step forward before winning the race. Progress, even a little bit is a worthwhile endeavour. Going from bad to great is unrealistic, going from bad to average to great is a much easier transition though. Too many people impatient and looking for those magic beans that will fix everything, they don't appreciate the process of building something up. 

I'm interested in turning things around.  Not in 5 years, or 3 years, or 2.  NOW.  Other teams have done it, gone from being a cellar dweller to highly competitive in one year, so it is something that can be done.  I'm tired of the excuses and the "Rome wasn't built in a day" crap.  This ain't Rome, so build the bloody thing now.  And by the way, I think that Walters, as much as I was really concerned about him when he was hired, seems to be of a like mind.  So forget average, because when you aim for average, you've already failed.

You're right about Walters.

He gets it. His vision about building a team from NIs and outward follows conventional CFL championship wisdom, but he simply cannot follow all the correct procedures so far because we've been so far behind. 

For example. Walters is paying high for Import players for now because we are aiming to win faster. Normally you would pay for our best players and sign cheap Imports.

Hopefully, by building our NI resources over time, we won't have to follow that flawed philosophy.

Keep your important players and pay them well…Walters seems to be following that.

Know your draft and choose carefully…hopefully that works well for us.

Use free agency to get started…but don't rely on it.

Set up a good scouting system and maintain it….done and done.

And, so important…find a good QB and backups and keep that succession line going.

Really, we've only just begun.

I'm interested in turning things around.  Not in 5 years, or 3 years, or 2.  NOW.  Other teams have done it, gone from being a cellar dweller to highly competitive in one year, so it is something that can be done.  I'm tired of the excuses and the "Rome wasn't built in a day" crap.  This ain't Rome, so build the bloody thing now.  And by the way, I think that Walters, as much as I was really concerned about him when he was hired, seems to be of a like mind.  So forget average, because when you aim for average, you've already failed.

Like I said, impatient with no respect for the process. 

Impatient, damned straight I'm impatient.  I would think that anyone who is concerned about this team, it's traditions and it's history, both recent and farther back, would fell the same way.  Tell me, how has your patience worked out for you so far?  You're happy with how the team has been performing these last 5 or so years?  Participation ribbons are good enough for you?  And as for respect fothe process, that's rich.  What process exactly am I to respect.  The process that has kept this team where it's been for so long?  Buzz words and catch phrases might be ok for you but I'll take results.  Not only that I expect them.  

Clearly, with your "respect the process" mantra, you must be a Leafs fan.

Impatient, damned straight I'm impatient.  I would think that anyone who is concerned about this team, it's traditions and it's history, both recent and farther back, would fell the same way.  Tell me, how has your patience worked out for you so far?  You're happy with how the team has been performing these last 5 or so years?  Participation ribbons are good enough for you?  And as for respect fothe process, that's rich.  What process exactly am I to respect.  The process that has kept this team where it's been for so long?  Buzz words and catch phrases might be ok for you but I'll take results.  Not only that I expect them.  

The last line is the funniest because as I was reading your post I was thinking "Man this guy sounds just like a Leafs fan."

The problem is the team has been as impatient as you! There has been no patience! How many coaches in the last 15 years? How many general managers? You can't say you're sick of being patient when you haven't even tried to be patient. Every time someone starts to build something they throw it all out and start from scratch again. The depth on this team was absolutely sewered. Yes some teams go from worst to first quickly, but not teams who have as many deep rooted flaws as the Bombers have because of the lack of patience shown by the team and fans. That Grey Cup drought is long yes, but it's the worrying about how long it is that keeps ******* the team over. It's always one step forward and because it's just that one step people freak out and they blow it up and take 2 steps back.

So come off your tired of being patient high horse, you have to actually be patient in the first place to claim that. This team needs stability and to actually go through the correct process. Instead we just fire people and start from the beginning again and that's how you go 25 years without a Grey Cup.

Kind of irrelevant now with the Brohm signing. Here's my 2 cents tho on Kevin Glenn, just do this one last time lol. This Kevin Glenn stuff pops up every off-season it seems, always so many pages devoted to Kevin Glenn it seems. Here we go, Back in the day KG was a good quarterback, he was never great, he was just good, he was never in the Ray Burriss Calvillo category, I don't think I'd put him in the durant or lulay category either. He did have a very good season or 2 several years ago now, the season we went to the Cup final and you know what, he showed some fire but that was a long time ago now, many many years ago now. Something happened to Glenn over the years it seems, He got older, he got slower, he started to turtle more, He became just another average QB but he is an average QB with a name people recognize. I mean, Give me tate over glenn any day, give me Trevor Harris even, give me Brohm even over Glenn. I guess, eventually you just need to move on from the past, you can never really go forward if you keep going back to the past. Couple years ago, gladly would have taken Glenn, I'd have taken Glenn over Pierce and Max Hall and the crap that we have had since really trading Kevin Glenn but now we got ourselves a solid stable of QB's, Drew WIlly could be very good and could be very good for a long time, Brohm showed some flashes, Marve looks like he could be a good one... Portis? Who knows really but... Think it's time to move on from old KG... Few years ago, sure gimme glenn because an average Glenn is better than the crap we had but... today? moving forward? No Thanks. Glenn is just not the same QB he was when he had his 2 or so good seasons a few years ago. Guys had chances to win the big games too and have failed.. it's not all on him that's for sure but... eventually you do wonder if maybe just maybe, Kevin Glenn just can't win the game that matters. Has he ever won the game that mattered? I'm not sure he has. He generally stinks it up come November doesn't he. Doubt a guy at his age will turn it around. Let the Riders or Als have him really. I liked Glenn when he was here in his prime but... his prime has come and gone now. 

I am pleased with the amount of logical thinking on the subject of KG.

Just say no to KG. Just say no to being average.

Mercifully with broham back in the fold, the talk of KG can ride off to Detroit, like he should be doing..

He WAS a very solid, if unspectacular, QB.. Now.. He's far from solid and is beginning to dip into liability.. He's been a coach killer tho for the last 4 seasons..

Mercifully with broham back in the fold, the talk of KG can ride off to Detroit, like he should be doing..

He WAS a very solid, if unspectacular, QB.. Now.. He's far from solid and is beginning to dip into liability.. He's been a coach killer tho for the last 4 seasons..

I missed where his coaches for the last 4 years have been fired... That Hufnagel sure was killed by Kevin Glenn..... 

So all this "Glenn is done" talk comes about because of the playoff game last year? That's the only thing? Holy over reactions Batman.

I missed where his coaches for the last 4 years have been fired... That Hufnagel sure was killed by Kevin Glenn..... 

So all this "Glenn is done" talk comes about because of the playoff game last year? That's the only thing? Holy over reactions Batman.

Ya, because he never had that reputation before last year.  Seriously dude, you're not even trying.  It's like you're channeling Glenn right now.

but again no one is saying "let's bring Glenn in to win us a Grey Cup"... what we're saying is hey, Glenn is a lot more proven than any of our backups, if we need to use him for a stretch he's a better option than the backups. Hell he might even be better than Drew Willy at this point, but I like Willy and don't really want to get into that argument here.

but again no one is saying "let's bring Glenn in to win us a Grey Cup"... what we're saying is hey, Glenn is a lot more proven than any of our backups, if we need to use him for a stretch he's a better option than the backups. Hell he might even be better than Drew Willy at this point, but I like Willy and don't really want to get into that argument here.

And people are responding by saying he's proven to be mediocre. That's all he's proven in his CFL career. So why not go with someone who has yet to prove what they can do, but have looked decent/exciting in their limited time? 

We all know what KG brings to the table. And it isn't good enough to get the team to where everyone wants to get to as a back up or starter, even while playing with teams that were arguably better than the current bombers. Brohm looked decent and even Marve played well against calgary late last year (cgy's effort suspect in that game). So why settle? when you need to move past mediocre. Mediocre (like has been said on this topic already) should no longer be an option to this franchise.

And people are responding by saying he's proven to be mediocre. That's all he's proven in his CFL career. So why not go with someone who has yet to prove what they can do, but have looked decent/exciting in their limited time? 

We all know what KG brings to the table. And it isn't good enough to get the team to where everyone wants to get to as a back up or starter, even while playing with teams that were arguably better than the current bombers. Brohm looked decent and even Marve played well against calgary late last year (cgy's effort suspect in that game). So why settle? when you need to move past mediocre. Mediocre (like has been said on this topic already) should no longer be an option to this franchise.

Because some people are tired of rushing quarterbacks gambling that they can be good when in reality gambling and rushing qbs usually ends in disaster.