It's being handled internally

BigBlue

"It's being handled internally":... Not since the Mike Kelly days have I personally been so put off by media relations between our Blue executive and the faithful posters on this board. Or more precisely, the lack of any substance being put forward to us.

Maybe it's just me imagining things but as a fan I feel like I am being "handled" although not so blatantly as in the Kelly days. I don't like the "polite" communication I feel like we are getting. Are we as fans getting the respect we deserve from O'Shea, Walters and Miller?

I don't want them throwing people under the bus but I would like to see some frankness and open honesty. Media things can be played too close to the vest sometimes. Is it happening now?

Either management is deliberately keeping us, the fans, in the dark, for whatever reason. Or else, they are very slow deliberators and decision-makers. I hope the problem I'm feeling is about their communication style and not about the ability to formulate a new success plan for next year.

I think the problem you're feeling is more about a sense of false entitlement than anything.

I will take false entitlement over no entitlement ...

fans are not ever entitled ... they just vote with their pocket book ... they sort of know how management feels about them ... and sometimes they just feel small, diminished

Two things:

#1 there's a lot of smoke to clear after the BC Lions and Riders have cleared out a bunch of coaches from their staffs and players start getting NFL workout offers. 

#2 Most of the front office focus right now is on Vegas and the start of the tryout season. First open tryout hits the field on Sunday.

"It's being handled internally":... Not since the Mike Kelly days have I personally been so put off by media relations between our Blue executive and the faithful posters on this board. Or more precisely, the lack of any substance being put forward to us.

Maybe it's just me imagining things but as a fan I feel like I am being "handled" although not so blatantly as in the Kelly days. I don't like the "polite" communication I feel like we are getting. Are we as fans getting the respect we deserve from O'Shea, Walters and Miller?

I don't want them throwing people under the bus but I would like to see some frankness and open honesty. Media things can be played too close to the vest sometimes. Is it happening now?

Either management is deliberately keeping us, the fans, in the dark, for whatever reason. Or else, they are very slow deliberators and decision-makers. I hope the problem I'm feeling is about their communication style and not about the ability to formulate a new success plan for next year.

So what is it you'd like to hear from the team?   

Why the hell is there such a panic for news? I dont understand it.. Two teams are literally melting down like a nuclear reactor and yet people expect us to be reacting in the same manner?

My word we are a fickle bunch.. But here is why id say their is no "news" (as there is action like the FA signings)

A) walters and o'shea are both rookies... As such are taking a meticulious look at everything to make the best call possible..

B) they are both probably out in the US involved with the scouting

C) taking some time off as again, first timers and are probably.burnt out..

Megalomania much?

Quite seriously, the sense that I get from some people here is the only way they'll be happy is if daily, all of the higher-ups in the Bomber organization appear in front of a camera wailing, rolling around on the floor sobbing, occasionally yelling "IT'S ALL GONE SO HORRIBLY WRONG!!!!".  Full sackcloth and ashes biblical funeral mode.  Nothing less.

That will give them some sense of satisfaction.

Sitting in their offices and meeting rooms doing stuff to make the team better for next year?  Totally disrespecting the fans.

Quite seriously, the sense that I get from some people here is the only way they'll be happy is if daily, all of the higher-ups in the Bomber organization appear in front of a camera wailing, rolling around on the floor sobbing, occasionally yelling "IT'S ALL GONE SO HORRIBLY WRONG!!!!".  Full sackcloth and ashes biblical funeral mode.  Nothing less.

Sitting in their offices and meeting rooms doing stuff to make the team better for next year?  Totally disrespecting the fans.

Appreciating sarcasm myself, I think you've overused it. I also think the word entitlement gets misused on this site at times.

This is not how I interpreted the original post, rightly or wrongly as I'm not able to be inside BigBlue's head. For some of us who have committed our lifelong loyalty to this club, feeling we are in the know, as appropriate, on the health and direction of this club is a reasonable expectation not a sense of entitlement. Where I diverge from BigBlue's original post is I believe there has been vast improvement of an inclusive approach with fans from our previous regime of Mack. You rarely ever saw Mack engage.   

Although I do not feel that we are in a melt down and it is the end of the world; I also do agree that I would like to know what is happening with the coaches?  Are we keeping them or not, are we looking at new coaches but the current ones still have a chance.  I do not want to hear the "We are still assessing the coaching situation" as I expect that we should have had it assessed already if they feel we are keeping them then great.  I want to see movement in this area so that we can see movement in forming our offensive and defensive playbook and as well get our roster together. 

I do not want to see like last year where it took so long to get our coaches lined up that our roster took a hit because we missed out on opportunities since we did not have the coaching in place to say yes I could yes that person or no I can not.  If we are sticking with Marcel and Etch another year although I would be disappointed at the very least it means that we can get moving on signing our guys that we want to keep, finding new ones and getting the holes that we have fixed.  My concern is I don't want to be the last one off the bus, picking up the scraps from the rest of their teams because they are already making announcements and making decisions and knowing what they need to do to move forward.

In reality if they were getting more players signed right now and locking up a roster and did nothing with the coaches that would be fine too but right now we are hearing almost nothing which means to a fan even if there is stuff going on it starts to feel like we are moving slowly, and nothing is being done.  It doesn't mean its true but it is what can be felt.

Appreciating sarcasm myself, I think you've overused it. I also think the word entitlement gets misused on this site at times.

This is not how I interpreted the original post, rightly or wrongly as I'm not able to be inside BigBlue's head. For some of us who have committed our lifelong loyalty to this club, feeling we are in the know, as appropriate, on the health and direction of this club is a reasonable expectation not a sense of entitlement. Where I diverge from BigBlue's original post is I believe there has been vast improvement of an inclusive approach with fans from our previous regime of Mack. You rarely ever saw Mack engage.   

Hmm.  That last post contained next to no sarcasm.  Plenty of derision, but it was largely sarcasm free.

It also was not directed specifically at the original post but rather many posts across many threads that have occurred during the season, and since.  However, I would have included the original post in that rather large group.

It's why I started with "quite seriously".  After nearly every loss and some wins, there are posters who seem to demand someone in the organization needs to stand in front of a camera and blame someone for something, despite continually denouncing the previous coach for doing just that.

Clearly they are considering their options on a number of fronts, and no decisions have been made yet.  And they've said as much.

Let's say hypothetically they want to replace their defensive coordinator.  What would a proper course of action be in a good organization?  Look around for some possible candidates.  Who are the candidates?  Well we don't know yet, because there are still plenty of dominoes to fall in multiple organizations outside of ours.  And then there will be people not willing to commit to a coordinator position when there is still a head coaching position open.  And then there might be another round of dominoes falling.  And then the process of filling up each team's dance card of coaches will begin.  In the meantime they should be reaching out to the potential candidates that they can reach out to, and let them know they are interested.  Which they have been doing, according to sources.

So what exactly do they owe us?

According to the crowd I was addressing, they don't like some of our coaches and apparently think Walters is supposed to step in front of a microphone and camera and say "Yeah, I don't like that guy either.  We don't have a plan yet, but that guy is the worst.  We'll probably can his ass.  Blargh blargh blargh.  No concrete plan, but we felt the fans deserved to hear us talk crap about one of our employees."

This is what a terrible organization would do.  Why are fans insisting the Bombers should behave like a terrible organization?

Although I do not feel that we are in a melt down and it is the end of the world; I also do agree that I would like to know what is happening with the coaches?  Are we keeping them or not, are we looking at new coaches but the current ones still have a chance.  I do not want to hear the "We are still assessing the coaching situation" as I expect that we should have had it assessed already if they feel we are keeping them then great.  I want to see movement in this area so that we can see movement in forming our offensive and defensive playbook and as well get our roster together. 

I do not want to see like last year where it took so long to get our coaches lined up that our roster took a hit because we missed out on opportunities since we did not have the coaching in place to say yes I could yes that person or no I can not.  If we are sticking with Marcel and Etch another year although I would be disappointed at the very least it means that we can get moving on signing our guys that we want to keep, finding new ones and getting the holes that we have fixed.  My concern is I don't want to be the last one off the bus, picking up the scraps from the rest of their teams because they are already making announcements and making decisions and knowing what they need to do to move forward.

In reality if they were getting more players signed right now and locking up a roster and did nothing with the coaches that would be fine too but right now we are hearing almost nothing which means to a fan even if there is stuff going on it starts to feel like we are moving slowly, and nothing is being done.  It doesn't mean its true but it is what can be felt.

Your Post - - This is what I am trying to say.

I am looking for some sign of life from management .... not entitlement to every little detail.

This feels like the silent treatment to me ... and we as fans are just supposed to be good soldiers and endure whatever the generals send our way .... I have got better things to do with my life

It's not about a wailing press conference or feeling entitled or even a sense of satisfaction.  It's about the Bombers including the fans in the plan going forward to fix the obvious problems that kept us out of the playoffs this year.  I'm not talking about every little detail.  I'm talking about the big picture stuff, like which coordinators we'll retain.

Good organizations don't wait for the dominoes to fall.  They make the dominoes fall. They make decisions quickly and effectively and get out in front of the other teams.  Waiting to see how things shake out is the way to end up with the guys no one else wanted.  The Bombers had a 3 week head start on every team not called the Redblacks.  If they don't have a plan in place by now, they are incompetent.    

IF O'Shea/Walters/Miller have realized that coaching changes need to be made and have defined where they want to upgrade, there's no advantage to waiting to tell the coordinators or the press.  As soon as they reach out to prospective candidates the CFL community, including the coaches they want to replace, will know anyway.  As soon as management decides they need to upgrade a spot, keeping the old coach around 'just in case' is counter productive.  It's time for them to move on if they are going to.

If they've decided to keep our current coaches, which is what I suspect has happened, then call a presser and let everyone know.  If they've decided to replace one or more, then call a presser and let everyone know who's being replaced.  There's no need to keep anyone twisting in the wind.  If they haven't made a decision yet, then make one and let everyone know what's going on.

It's not about a wailing press conference or feeling entitled or even a sense of satisfaction.  It's about the Bombers including the fans in the plan going forward to fix the obvious problems that kept us out of the playoffs this year.  I'm not talking about every little detail.  I'm talking about the big picture stuff, like which coordinators we'll retain.

Good organizations don't wait for the dominoes to fall.  They make the dominoes fall. They make decisions quickly and effectively and get out in front of the other teams.  Waiting to see how things shake out is the way to end up with the guys no one else wanted.  The Bombers had a 3 week head start on every team not called the Redblacks.  If they don't have a plan in place by now, they are incompetent.    

IF O'Shea/Walters/Miller have realized that coaching changes need to be made and have defined where they want to upgrade, there's no advantage to waiting to tell the coordinators or the press.  As soon as they reach out to prospective candidates the CFL community, including the coaches they want to replace, will know anyway.  As soon as management decides they need to upgrade a spot, keeping the old coach around 'just in case' is counter productive.  It's time for them to move on if they are going to.

If they've decided to keep our current coaches, which is what I suspect has happened, then call a presser and let everyone know.  If they've decided to replace one or more, then call a presser and let everyone know who's being replaced.  There's no need to keep anyone twisting in the wind.  If they haven't made a decision yet, then make one and let everyone know what's going on.

What often gets left out of this thought process - maybe they just have better things to do with their time than appease the fans with a pointless press conference.

I'd rather they be working, myself.

What often gets left out of this thought process - maybe they just have better things to do with their time than appease the fans with a pointless press conference.

I'd rather they be working, myself.

They had a presser at the beginning of November, and people thought it was pointless.  Now the same people want the same presser, just a month later?

I't an hour out of Walter's day to do a presser.  If he doesn't have the time, then let O'Shea do it.  It's really not that hard.  

Press conferences aren't about appeasing the fans.  They're about selling the Bombers to the fans.

It wouldn't be the same presser.  The November presser was premature as the decisions hadn't been made or at least they weren't being made public.  Would have been better to wait until they were ready to tell the fans something.