Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

I've watched lots of football over the year, CFL, some NFL, even some NCAA and CIS for that matter... the one common theme i see with receivers in every form of american/canadian football? They all drop easy catches at times, even Calvin Johnson.

I don't think I ever saw Rick House or Joe Pop drop an easy one. I don't think I ever saw them drop a hard one either. Same goes for Milt, and Perry Tuttle.

That's some pretty selective memory.

The Stegall I remember seemed to drop an easy one almost every game.  It just doesn't matter as much to people when you're also putting up multiple TDs in the process.  Every receiver drops easy ones.

Poblah had a tendency to lay out for diving catches along the sidelines and injure himself in the process, usually without hauling in the pass.  My concern with him isn't not making an extremely tough catch, it's why he had to go horizontal that often.  Was he misjudging the ball?  Was the QB misjudging his speed?  Unable to get separation from the DB?  I saw all of these happen on different occasions.  Would the new PI rules help him out?  Considering the only route he ever ran was sprint down the sidelines, it probably should.  It should help all receivers out.

Remove all those sideline dives from the equation and his percentage of muffs were not much higher than any other middle of the pack NI from what I recall.  Given our current options for depth coming off the bench, I would not have any complaints with the Bombers signing him.  If he gets beat out in camp, he gets beat out in camp.  If he doesn't, he's a better option than Bastien.

It wasn't a full blown outcry but I remember towards the end of his career, there were a number of people calling for Stegall to be benched or put in a reduced role because he was dropping a lot of passes.

As for drops ... if Adarius Bowman can become what he has today, then Poblah can get past it too. Bowman was the poster child for drops and now look at him.

Or maybe Poblah wins the job in camp because he's an incredible practice player, but then bombs out at the critical moment in the game... The kind of catches that JFG was making last year. Poblah seems like he is one of those coach killer types. Huge potential, fantastic reviews from practice every day, but blows it when it counts. I'm not thrilled with our receiver depth right now but I would still take a pass on Poblah.

Remember another guy we had that could not catch the ball as in Adarius Bowman.  Seems to have found his stride in Edmonton. You can't teach talent but should be abloe to fix technique. Kito might just be another one of those guys. We don't know how many games he played injured and how much that affected his play.

Not like we have a busload of good NI recievers.

Or maybe Poblah wins the job in camp because he's an incredible practice player, but then bombs out at the critical moment in the game... The kind of catches that JFG was making last year. Poblah seems like he is one of those coach killer types. Huge potential, fantastic reviews from practice every day, but blows it when it counts. I'm not thrilled with our receiver depth right now but I would still take a pass on Poblah.

If you can't move past the infamy of the "first rounder" tag, then sure, I could see how one might think a potential 3rd string NI receiver (potential 4th if they sign Richards) could be considered a coach killer.  Actually, I still can't, but I'm trying to play along.  Your emotional investment in the player seems much higher than OShea's would be.  If Poblah doesn't perform he's gone.  No one is keeping him around anymore just because of his draft situation.

If you can't move past the infamy of the "first rounder" tag, then sure, I could see how one might think a potential 3rd string NI receiver (potential 4th if they sign Richards) could be considered a coach killer.  Actually, I still can't, but I'm trying to play along.  Your emotional investment in the player seems much higher than OShea's would be.  If Poblah doesn't perform he's gone.  No one is keeping him around anymore just because of his draft situation.

I don't know how draft position comes into this at all.  I never mentioned that once.  As far as emotional investment in Poblah?  I don't even know what you're talking about.  You clearly misunderstood my point but feel free to continue being a total ****.  Mondays, eh?

I wouldn't mind Poblah back here for the right $.

We haven't have a very good QB when he was here so this time he can be good with Willy.

Plus, maybe move him to the slotback (which is closer to the ball) instead of the wideout.

It wasn't a full blown outcry but I remember towards the end of his career, there were a number of people calling for Stegall to be benched or put in a reduced role because he was dropping a lot of passes.

As for drops ... if Adarius Bowman can become what he has today, then Poblah can get past it too. Bowman was the poster child for drops and now look at him.

Bowman still drops his fair share of balls but his volume of receptions masks that fact.  It's the "once in awhile" receivers that are held to the higher standard because that is what fans remember about them most.

That's some pretty selective memory.

The Stegall I remember

Good grief, I wish I had never mentioned Milt as everyone seems keen on somehow comparing him now to Kito Poblah.  Fine, Stegall dropped a pass here or there while Rick House, Perry Tuttle and Joe Pop caught everything thrown their way even if Huffer threw the ball 20 feet over their heads.  My opinion still stands on Poblah.  Can he get his dropsies fixed?  I hope so.  He seemed like a nice kid and one I'd like to see stay in the CFL somehow.  It would be nice to see him succeed, somewhere.

I don't know how draft position comes into this at all.  I never mentioned that once.  As far as emotional investment in Poblah?  I don't even know what you're talking about.  You clearly misunderstood my point but feel free to continue being a total ****.  Mondays, eh?

You and several others seem to have attached negative emotions to Poblah.  Why?  My guess is because he was supposed to be all that and a bag of peanuts as we used a first rounder on him.  Turns out he wasn't.  I have zero emotions attached to Poblah.  Either he's better than Bastien, Reaves (who's really just competing with a minimal standard to prove he deserves a PR spot to develop) and Millington, or he is not.  Your point wasn't much of one.  He's not getting Kohlert's job based on a couple of good practises, and he'd have to have a whale of a camp to knock JFG a spot down the totem.  Behind those two guys we have depth that consists of 0 catches for 0 yards as career totals in the CFL.  As a Bomber fan, I'd prefer to have at least one guy with experience challenge the 0 for 0 crew.  Fantuz isn't currently available.  I'd prefer him.  If Addison Richards is signed in the next few days, Poblah's potential value to this club decreases, yet may still be higher than Bastien, Reaves and Millington's.  And if we're rostering 4 NI receivers, that's all it needs to be.

Yes, it is very asterixy of me to note the lack of depth that Bombers have for NI receivers.  Must be Monday.  Or a quick glance at the roster.  One of the two.

Poblah played a grand total of about 1 good game while he was here. Guy might be a good athlete but as a receiver he leaves a lot to be desired. I'd take Etienne back before POblah.

Really? Etienne couldn't even play special teams. Basically useless for a game day roster

You and several others seem to have attached negative emotions to Poblah.  Why?  My guess is because he was supposed to be all that and a bag of peanuts as we used a first rounder on him.  Turns out he wasn't.  I have zero emotions attached to Poblah.  Either he's better than Bastien, Reaves (who's really just competing with a minimal standard to prove he deserves a PR spot to develop) and Millington, or he is not.  Your point wasn't much of one.  He's not getting Kohlert's job based on a couple of good practises, and he'd have to have a whale of a camp to knock JFG a spot down the totem.  Behind those two guys we have depth that consists of 0 catches for 0 yards as career totals in the CFL.  As a Bomber fan, I'd prefer to have at least one guy with experience challenge the 0 for 0 crew.  Fantuz isn't currently available.  I'd prefer him.  If Addison Richards is signed in the next few days, Poblah's potential value to this club decreases, yet may still be higher than Bastien, Reaves and Millington's.  And if we're rostering 4 NI receivers, that's all it needs to be.

Yes, it is very asterixy of me to note the lack of depth that Bombers have for NI receivers.  Must be Monday.  Or a quick glance at the roster.  One of the two.

I already commented on the lack of receiver depth so don't pat yourself on the back too hard.  I realize we are short on experienced receivers.  But I don't believe Poblah is the answer and know what?  I bet Kyle Walters agrees with me.  So you can jump up and down all you want, at the end of the day Poblah is not coming back here so you might as well give it up now.

He's not getting Kohlert's job based on a couple of good practises, and he'd have to have a whale of a camp to knock JFG a spot down the totem.  .

He's not getting either of those two guys' jobs because they catch the football. Oh no! I exposed my negative Poblah emotions! I just booked a counseling session to try and come to terms with this condition....

tumblr_m44xssSoJp1qjgyuwo1_500.gif

Didn't Kito have a 10 catch 100 yard effort in Regina a few years back? I know, just one game. But that's more than many Canadian wideouts have done in full seasons here. Potential is obvs there.

9 catches for 89 yards in the 2011 LDC.

Context:  Played in the first game of the season, got injured.

Played in the LDC, 9 catches for 89 yards.

Played in the Banjo Bowl, 1 catch for 10 yards.

Didn't play again all season.

Problem with this team historically is that they draft NIs at skill positions with no real plan to utilize them.  These guys become afterthoughts.  See limited targets.  And if / when they do start to struggle (or aren't as productive as some would like) .. it's easy to give up on these guys or form a skewed opinion of their play.  I mean really, with the QBs this team had from 2011-2013 .. how productive do you expect a fourth or fifth receiver to be? That's what our OCs have used our NIs as for the last number of years.

Poblah played a grand total of about 1 good game while he was here. Guy might be a good athlete but as a receiver he leaves a lot to be desired. I'd take Etienne back before POblah.

Really? Etienne couldn't even play special teams. Basically useless for a game day roster

And yet I still remember him making more of an impact at receiver in more games than Poblah ever did. Like I said, Poblah had that one good game vs. the Riders and a whole lot of nothing. 

And yet I still remember him making more of an impact at receiver in more games than Poblah ever did. Like I said, Poblah had that one good game vs. the Riders and a whole lot of nothing. 

You just have negative emotions.  Your memory is selective.

Who were Poblah's QBs when he was here?

Buck Pierce in 2011, 2012 it was BP/Elliot/Brink, 2013 it didn't matter as he only played one game.

Hell, we had four different QBs take snaps during the regular season in 2011 ..  wasn't any better in 2012 .. consistency at QB has not been our strong suit for awhile .. heh.

Personally I would prefer not to take Poblah back. Just think he is damaged goods. However, I could certainly understand why the Bombers might think about it. Kohlert is average at best, and JFG should not be starting in a CFL offence. When those are your starters, you gotta try and get better and leave no stone unturned to do so. Although, I do think JFG will not be starting this year because we will go 4 imports.

Problem with this team historically is that they draft NIs at skill positions with no real plan to utilize them.  These guys become afterthoughts.  See limited targets.  And if / when they do start to struggle (or aren't as productive as some would like) .. it's easy to give up on these guys or form a skewed opinion of their play.  I mean really, with the QBs this team had from 2011-2013 .. how productive do you expect a fourth or fifth receiver to be?  And really, that's what our OCs have used our NIs as for the last number of years.

Carl Volny endorses this message.