Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

The personal & individual glory was taken away from Banks. Stolen... by a stupid teammate who held when he shouldn't have & it cost him his historic touchdown. HIS touchdown. Not the team's but HIS. How dare that guy steal his limelight. How could that guy have been sooooo stupid? It was just too much to bear. And to go back on the field after that before he could pound his fists & have a good cry? Like right away???!! Man, that's not fair. The game is cruel sometimes. 

Iso any word in Calgary about the rumoured joint arena/stadium proposal for the Stamps/Flames of late?  Or is that on the backburner with the drop in oil and probable huge deficit in Alberta?

I've heard rumours that some kind of announcement is coming "soon", whatever that  means. The word soon has been for a couple of years now. All 3 levels of government have said no to any kind of public funding & now with the provincial economy in the tank the Flames would be crazy to even consider that as an option. The primary Flames owner Murray Edwards is a billionaire & I've heard stories a new arena will be 100% privately funded by him but it will come at a price for fans. If you want season tickets to watch the Flames, rock concert, circus, pro  lacrosse then you'll have to pay expensive individual seat licenses. If it's anything like the 49ers owners have done then I'm thinking maybe ten to 15 grand financed over a five year period for a decent seat. I also think the arena will be stand alone & no new stadium will be attached with the project. I'm just speculating here. 

Wow!  That will be something if they go that route.  As wealthy as Calgary is, I'm not sure they would find 17,000 or so folks willing to pay between 5,000 - 15,000 for seat licenses.  Maybe a smaller amount for general seats but larger amounts (like the 5 - 15,000 you suggested) for club seats and suites?  Maybe a tax on each ticket ($5) bought?

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how things shake out. 

The economic forecast for oil and gas is grim for at least the next 3-5 years and if the alternate energy source called LENR lives up to its progress thus far, oil could become almost irelevant in value. That would't be all bad.

Oil will never be irrelevant. Even if it gets surpassed as an energy source there are still a lot of commercial products made from oil. Plastics being one example, you see the world getting off plastic any time soon? Never mind that usurping oil as a fuel is going to be a real hard task in it's own right. 

Panic is beginning in Alberta. Calgary housing sales are down 38% over January 2014 and Edmonton is almost as bad  with mortgage defaults rising rapidly. Cuts are being planned to healthcare and education as well. There is not going to be any play money for awhile.

Panic is beginning in Alberta. 

Because oil companies like to panic at the first sign of trouble. Doesn't mean things are going to be doom and gloom. I was reading last week for example, an article saying that things weren't as bad as a lot of people in the industry expected. The economy out here was so over heated that a slow down is not the end of the world. What's happened is that spring break up is happening earlier than usual, most stuff will be shut down before March as opposed to April or May this year... but for me by the time I'm done the well I'm currently working on I'll still have had one of my busiest years in the last decade even with being finished a month earlier than usual. There's always layoffs and such in the spring in the oil field, wait and see how things look in the fall before we make any real judgement calls. Sitting idle during the spring/summer isn't all that unusual. 

People are just so envious of Alberta though that they are actively rooting for things to fall apart. Not going to happen. 

Panic is beginning in Alberta. 

Because oil companies like to panic at the first sign of trouble. Doesn't mean things are going to be doom and gloom. I was reading last week for example, an article saying that things weren't as bad as a lot of people in the industry expected. The economy out here was so over heated that a slow down is not the end of the world. What's happened is that spring break up is happening earlier than usual, most stuff will be shut down before March as opposed to April or May this year... but for me by the time I'm done the well I'm currently working on I'll still have had one of my busiest years in the last decade even with being finished a month earlier than usual. There's always layoffs and such in the spring in the oil field, wait and see how things look in the fall before we make any real judgement calls. Sitting idle during the spring/summer isn't all that unusual. 

People are just so envious of Alberta though that they are actively rooting for things to fall apart. Not going to happen. 

Exactly right. Going to be a little leaner this year but the worst is already behind us. The loonie and oil have pretty much bottomed already. There will be a small bit of gain by the time breakup is over and life will go on. We are still drilling here in SE sask

Anyone else think maybe Brett Jones is going to Sask? And that's one of the reasons Picard was expendable? 

I've been having the same thought.  Unless an NFL offer comes in I could see this happening.  The Riders have lost two starters on their oline and I'm sure they would like to replace them with quality players, and I'm unsure how good their backups are.  Maybe they would be in on Bryant or Harrison from Calgary as well? I know those two are Americans but Heenan leaves a big hole at tackle for the Riders.  Gotta figure the Riders have some money freed up now with both Heenan and Picard gone.  And of course Jones is a Sask boy and we all know it's every Sask boy's dream to go home and play for the Riders at some point in their career  :lol:.

From Calgary's POV Jones is a fantastic player and tough to lose but they have Lavertu ready to step up if Jones moves on.  Calgary always seems to handle losing top end players just fine.  

I would be surprised if Taman wasn't active in free agency.  He rarely if ever sits it out.

Do the Rider even have enough cap room to sign Jones ?

Or any high profile type player for that matter ?

I've wondered that also. Just a theory but I've been wondering if Taman is sitting back a bit on Dan Clark, Tristan Jackson, and Brian Peters in case he needs the money for Jones. The three above mentioned are people I'd like us to keep, but if we are going after Jones likely 2 of them have to go.

An extra $70,000 for Watson over Bastien. An extra $100,000 for Dressler (same salary as last year but a full season) = most of the $ you saved on cutting Picard. Doesn't seem like Taman will have a lot to spend, although I guess he could take Heenen's $ and give it to Jones.

You are assuming that there were actually Heenan dollars to spend. Taman said in his interview after Heenan signed in the NFL, that he was going to outbid anyone for Heenan but that it would have had major effects on his current roster had he done so.

An extra $70,000 for Watson over Bastien. An extra $100,000 for Dressler (same salary as last year but a full season) = most of the $ you saved on cutting Picard. Doesn't seem like Taman will have a lot to spend, although I guess he could take Heenen's $ and give it to Jones.

You are assuming that there were actually Heenan dollars to spend. Taman said in his interview after Heenan signed in the NFL, that he was going to outbid anyone for Heenan but that it would have had major effects on his current roster had he done so.

I think you are probably right. Taman would have had Heenan's contract money from last year and additional money from sms going up but I believe if Jones comes here someone will have to go or not be resigned to make room for him. If nothing else, I hope Taman drives the price up for the stamps, they've done it to us in the past.

I think you are probably right. Taman would have had Heenan's contract money from last year and additional money from sms going up but I believe if Jones comes here someone will have to go or not be resigned to make room for him. If nothing else, I hope Taman drives the price up for the stamps, they've done it to us in the past.

If Jones hits FA, Taman won't be the only one driving up the price.

Jones will get offers starting with a 3 if he hits free agency.

He is a nice kid, he went to high school with my daughter. I hope he gets a great opportunity. He is 23 and will be a good player for a long time in this league. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to see him come back home and play here. I have a feeling that he will stay in Calgary. Huff is anything but dumb, he can see what he has in Jones. I can see the Stamps being very aggressive in trying to keep him.

He is a nice kid, he went to high school with my daughter. I hope he gets a great opportunity. He is 23 and will be a good player for a long time in this league. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to see him come back home and play here. I have a feeling that he will stay in Calgary. Huff is anything but dumb, he can see what he has in Jones. I can see the Stamps being very aggressive in trying to keep him.

I would think that Huf and the Stamps have the inside track for sure.

Jones name didn't come up as often as Heenan because Taman announced that Heenan was testing the market and because it was widely assumed that Jones would either go NFL or re-sign with the Stamps prior to FA. However, there is little doubt that Jones is a HUGE fish in a small pond. He will be the highest paid OL in the league for whatever team signs him. 300k? Yea....that's a number that could be realistic.

Jones name didn't come up as often as Heenan because Taman announced that Heenan was testing the market and because it was widely assumed that Jones would either go NFL or re-sign with the Stamps prior to FA. However, there is little doubt that Jones is a HUGE fish in a small pond. He will be the highest paid OL in the league for whatever team signs him. 300k? Yea....that's a number that could be realistic.

Can't see 300, he is too young to get that high that fast. He'll have no where to go from there. But definitely agree he will be the highest paid Olineman in the league this year. I think 250-265 gets it done.

If he really explores free agency, he'll have offers from BC, Calgary, Saskatchewan, Edmonton, and Hamilton for sure.  That is five teams going after the guy who is basically the only Canadian offensive lineman on the market worth pursuing.  He will get 250k to start the bidding and it will only go up from there.

Can't see 300, he is too young to get that high that fast. He'll have no where to go from there. But definitely agree he will be the highest paid Olineman in the league this year. I think 250-265 gets it done.

Why is he too young? By all accounts, he is the best offensive lineman in the league (I personally think Stanley Bryant is the best lineman in the league, but Jones' resume says Most Outstanding Lineman 2014 so he gets the nod) and he's got the right passport. If he wants to let offers flood in, he's going to be the highest paid non QB in the history of the SMS era. If anything, his age works in his favor. 250-265k was Heenan territory. I'm not saying Jones signs for 300k because I don't necessarily think he's a "I'm going to the highest bidder" kind of guy, but I would be shocked if he doesn't get at least one offer than starts with a 3.

Josh Bourke, at 31 years old, hit a contract of 215k annually last year. When he signed the deal, the salary cap was 4.4 million. His deal = 4.8% of annual cap max.

Brett Jones, at 24 years old, would be earning 5.9% of the annual cap max in 2015 if he signs for 300k. 1.1% difference for a guy who is 7 years younger, getting better and already has been declared the best OL in the league?

I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

Why is he too young? By all accounts, he is the best offensive lineman in the league (I personally think Stanley Bryant is the best lineman in the league, but Jones' resume says Most Outstanding Lineman 2014 so he gets the nod) and he's got the right passport. If he wants to let offers flood in, he's going to be the highest paid non QB in the history of the SMS era. If anything, his age works in his favor. 250-265k was Heenan territory. I'm not saying Jones signs for 300k because I don't necessarily think he's a "I'm going to the highest bidder" kind of guy, but I would be shocked if he doesn't get at least one offer than starts with a 3.

Josh Bourke, at 31 years old, hit a contract of 215k annually last year. When he signed the deal, the salary cap was 4.4 million. His deal = 4.8% of annual cap max.

Brett Jones, at 24 years old, would be earning 5.9% of the annual cap max in 2015 if he signs for 300k. 1.1% difference for a guy who is 7 years younger, getting better and already has been declared the best OL in the league?

I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

I'm not completely disagreeing with what you are saying. I just think if he signs a 3 year deal and is making 300 plus the first year he is an awfully expensive player to have on your team. Labatte reportedly made 240k last year with the riders. I'll stick with my original estimate on salary numbers.