O'Shea Still Sees No Problems

Tracker

From today's Freep:

WINNIPEG Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea volunteered Thursday his 6-11 football team "needs to get better, from me on down."

But when O'Shea was asked by reporters if he was admitting he'd personally made mistakes in his rookie season as the Bombers' field boss, O'Shea bristled.

"I'll have to go back and go through everything and take some notes on that," O'Shea replied.

So, no mistakes leap immediately to mind? O'Shea was asked.

"Nothing leaps to mind? No, because I'm solely focused on beating Calgary," he said. "But I'm sure you'll tell me."

It was a rare testy exchange between O'Shea and local reporters and it came on the same day the Bombers held their last full practice of the 2014 season at Investors Group Field. The club will travel to Calgary today in advance of their final game of the season on Saturday at McMahon Field against the Stampeders.

It seems that O'Shea's stubbornness is going to continue and that does not bode well for our rookie head coach.

I read that article earlier and I bristled at the heading myself. 

Wiecek has slanted what MOS had said (what else is new) and used provocative wording to garner attention.

But, as mentioned on here already…it's too early to be digging the knife in.

Don't know what's so hard to understand about what MOS said:

"That's what the off-season is for," said O'Shea. "We've got a couple days left here... We can talk afterward all you want about this kind of stuff."

But Wiecek has to write something right?

Let the post season discussion begin,,, in the post season.

There's a scenario for organizations of all sorts that are failing- first you claim that all is well and will sort itself out if everyone follows "the plan". Then, when things do not improve, you say that things will be reviewed at the appropriate date- later. Then you state that the past is done and over with so there's no point in rehashing it. Then you say that you are moving on and everyone ought to look forward rather than backwards. During this cycle, you first humour critics, then brush them off, then proceed to criticize them and finally accuse them of incompetence and/or disloyalty.

At no point do you admit that there are systemic problems that need urgent addressing.

Let the post season discussion begin,,, in the post season.

Afaic, this is the first game of the 2015 pre-season.

I see your point, but i disagree.

There is so much to be learned from the effort each player will give, which will determine if some players even get to next year's pre-season.

There's a scenario for organizations of all sorts that are failing- first you claim that all is well and will sort itself out if everyone follows "the plan". Then, when things do not improve, you say that things will be reviewed at the appropriate date- later. Then you state that the past is done and over with so there's no point in rehashing it. Then you say that you are moving on and everyone ought to look forward rather than backwards. During this cycle, you first humour critics, then brush them off, then proceed to criticize them and finally accuse them of incompetence and/or disloyalty.

At no point do you admit that there are systemic problems that need urgent addressing.

And is this what you see as happening?

Oh boy.  Another media bashing session filled with I Love the way O'Shea handles the media vs I Hate the way O'Shea handles the media.  What do you expect him to do vs I want him to be honest.  Throw in a bunch how the media is lazy and how they don't ask the right questions how they spin things and my fav... How O'Shea is obviously different behind the scenes than he is in public.

Carry on folks...

There is still a large difference between what organizations do internally and say externally to the media.

Words are cheap, and in this day and age organizations keep things closer to their vest.

I'd be willing to bet that O'Shea, Walters, and Miller aren't at all happy with the way this season has turned out, and are already planning on how to start addressing these things going forward.

There are multiple reasons not to to divulge these things in the media, some of them including tipping your hate to the 8 other teams in the league as well as leaving your options open as your plan changes and evolves as you evaluate going forward.

Actions will always speak louder then words.  And we really won't know what the leaders of this organization think or where they see problems until training camp next year when we see who they kept, who they released, and where they brought in talent.

Whatever is said now is really just lip service, whatever is said.

I'm not sure why I'm even writing this because I thought I was beyond caring any more for this year but I don't want to know what is going on in the dressing room  or anything  private can stay private. But a simple acknowledgement that everyone is on the same page would go  a long way. For instance.  on the run defense, he could at least say . We know we have to get better on stopping the run and we are working on it and trying to address it..  new schemes, personnel , whatever, blame it on injuries whatever.That would probably be enough  to say that  we are on the same page.. And that is one issue , there are several, lots even. and what it seems like were getting is that  there is no problems, its all execution..  Instead of deflecting everything, acknowledge a few things even on the basic of levels would go a long way in the P R department. Right now it is deflect all the concerns and piss off the media , and the fans. . Part of this job is  being a salesman, and if the walk the walk isn't selling it then the talk the talk better. Right now ,neither are.

17to85, on 31 Oct 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

People still don't get that O'Shea doesn't talk about this stuff in the media? You think he really doesn't know where mistakes were made? Is that more believable than he's just refusing to tell the media anything? Come on now, it's been his MO all season long. 

Yup, O'Shea is right.  He's got a game to prepare for right now and the media should be smart enough to realize that.  You don't quit preparing for games till the season is over and Mike O'Shea is focused in on it.

Besides, he just got done saying the team needs to get better, he doesn't need to go give a big old breakdown at every position trying to triangulate what should be done just yet.  Finish the season first, then address areas.  Plus it's stupid to say he or Walters are not gonna make any moves at all to address areas.  They will, but you worry about those situations in the office, not at the Press Conference.

Oh boy.  Another media bashing session filled with I Love the way O'Shea handles the media vs I Hate the way O'Shea handles the media.  What do you expect him to do vs I want him to be honest.  Throw in a bunch how the media is lazy and how they don't ask the right questions how they spin things and my fav... How O'Shea is obviously different behind the scenes than he is in public.

Carry on folks...

So, tell us what you think of the heading Wiecek used. Is it accurate?

Even the heading on this thread. Is it accurate?

Sounds like Burke a lot... The old need to review the tape to see where we went wrong excuse is lame as hell.

I don't expect him to throw guys under the bus but a more direct answer would be nice

An LaPo before him. It's almost as though HCs hold their cards close to their chests or something.

As I've said before, and it's not a difficult concept to understand - The message O'Shea presents to the media, and the internal (and true message by the way) message are two entirely different things. There's decisions/ideas that I'm sure he, and other staffers would like a do-over on, but saying that in the media serves no beneficial purpose whatsoever. If someone truly thinks O'Shea sees no problems, I frankly don't know what to say to you.

This team will get better, and it has the right head coach and management to do so.

There is still a large difference between what organizations do internally and say externally to the media.

Words are cheap, and in this day and age organizations keep things closer to their vest.

I'd be willing to bet that O'Shea, Walters, and Miller aren't at all happy with the way this season has turned out, and are already planning on how to start addressing these things going forward.

There are multiple reasons not to to divulge these things in the media, some of them including tipping your hate to the 8 other teams in the league as well as leaving your options open as your plan changes and evolves as you evaluate going forward.

Actions will always speak louder then words.  And we really won't know what the leaders of this organization think or where they see problems until training camp next year when we see who they kept, who they released, and where they brought in talent.

Given what we know about O'Shea from his time as a player does anyone here actually think that he's not the most pissed off guy out there about how the season ended? That dude was super competitive and I guarantee he is not happy with the way the season ended. 

17to85, on 31 Oct 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

People still don't get that O'Shea doesn't talk about this stuff in the media? You think he really doesn't know where mistakes were made? Is that more believable than he's just refusing to tell the media anything? Come on now, it's been his MO all season long. 

Yup, O'Shea is right.  He's got a game to prepare for right now and the media should be smart enough to realize that.  You don't quit preparing for games till the season is over and Mike O'Shea is focused in on it.

Besides, he just got done saying the team needs to get better, he doesn't need to go give a big old breakdown at every position trying to triangulate what should be done just yet.  Finish the season first, then address areas.  Plus it's stupid to say he or Walters are not gonna make any moves at all to address areas.  They will, but you worry about those situations in the office, not at the Press Conference.

I'm sure that he has NEVER thought about what is happening with his team & the reason for the 8 game skid??? Really, cmon? If he can't handle the  heat from a few local reporters then maybe he's not ready to be a HC even after a season already. This isn't Denver, New England or Green Bay. I bet Rex Ryan would love the media here. It would be like a weekend retreat for the guy. Why can't MOS acknowledge that yes, there are problems that need addressing & everything will be under review including his performance after tomorrow. Then next question as we are preparing for a game Saturday.These CFL head coaches with the big egos & impatience never last. Seen em all come & go in 50 seasons watching the Bombers & other teams. They always get fired eventually.

Given what we know about O'Shea from his time as a player does anyone here actually think that he's not the most pissed off guy out there about how the season ended? That dude was super competitive and I guarantee he is not happy with the way the season ended. 

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously didn't pay attention to O'Shea during his playing career. This isn't sitting well with him, you can bet your bottom dollar on that. As disappointed as we all are to miss out, considering the hours and effort he puts in, he's more disappointed.

Why can't MOS acknowledge that yes, there are problems that need addressing & everything will be under review including his performance after tomorrow.

WINNIPEG Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea volunteered Thursday his 6-11 football team "needs to get better, from me on down."

These CFL head coaches with the big egos & impatience never last. Seen em all come & go in 50 seasons watching the Bombers & other teams. They always get fired eventually.

As opposed to mild mannered coaches who always last forever?

Absolutely. Anyone who thinks otherwise obviously didn't pay attention to O'Shea during his playing career. This isn't sitting well with him, you can bet your bottom dollar on that. As disappointed as we all are to miss out, considering the hours and effort he puts in, he's more disappointed.

And I would bet money that he knows exactly what the team needs to fix, too.....Now, whether they're able to actually DO those things for next year, I'm not sure, but he knows exactly what it's going to take.