The Bombers Won't Win Again This Season

Atomic

These guys need to learn to tackle.  It's just atrocious how bad we are at tackling.

Play calling seems poor as well.

Still hate both Etch and MB.  Both seem mediocre or worse to me.

And, yes, I do realize we're missing players due to injury and we need depth.  But you can't tell me you can't teach someone how to tackle, or that we can't find better import RB and WR's to take the places of some of the injured players.  We need a running game and Grigsby can't do the job.

I think MOS is the right coach, I just think he's surrounded by mediocrity (due mostly to what was available and who wanted to actually come to a 3-15 team).

A few days ago I was posting just how bad a DC Etch is & how I want him gone. He was being defended by more than a few here saying that his defense saved games for us & kept us in others. It wasn't the defense, the posters said that was a problem. It was the offense. Well, we travel to Ottawa lose embarrassingly to the worst team in the CFL & a couple  of our major problems was the inability to  tackle & stop the run which has been the way it's been defensively all season. I want Etch gone but I'm getting the impression that MOS will stubbornly go down with his coaches before he fires any of them so we're stuck with this guy for the long term. 

Yeah, I agree.  I think he's going to stick with the same coaches as well, which may be his downfall unless they somehow surprise us.

The problem with Etch is his defense is on and off.  Never consistent.  And his run defense is almost always terrible.

Our defensive line almost across the board is outweighed by at least 60 lbs to a man. We have small linebackers so we get pushed back. Bad combination right there. The hell with speed if you get pushed back &  aren't physical &/0r strong enough to tackle. This defense sucks. Etch has to go. 

never should have been hired at all.  anyone ... including Greg Marshall would've been better...sad to say

These guys need to learn to tackle.  It's just atrocious how bad we are at tackling.

Play calling seems poor as well.

Still hate both Etch and MB.  Both seem mediocre or worse to me.

And, yes, I do realize we're missing players due to injury and we need depth.  But you can't tell me you can't teach someone how to tackle, or that we can't find better import RB and WR's to take the places of some of the injured players.  We need a running game and Grigsby can't do the job.

I think MOS is the right coach, I just think he's surrounded by mediocrity (due mostly to what was available and who wanted to actually come to a 3-15 team).

A few days ago I was posting just how bad a DC Etch is & how I want him gone. He was being defended by more than a few here saying that his defense saved games for us & kept us in others. It wasn't the defense, the posters said that was a problem. It was the offense. Well, we travel to Ottawa lose embarrassingly to the worst team in the CFL & a couple  of our major problems was the inability to  tackle & stop the run which has been the way it's been defensively all season. I want Etch gone but I'm getting the impression that MOS will stubbornly go down with his coaches before he fires any of them so we're stuck with this guy for the long term.

Yeah, I agree.  I think he's going to stick with the same coaches as well, which may be his downfall unless they somehow surprise us.

The problem with Etch is his defense is on and off.  Never consistent.  And his run defense is almost always terrible.

Our defensive line almost across the board is outweighed by at least 60 lbs to a man. We have small linebackers so we get pushed back. Bad combination right there. The hell with speed if you get pushed back &  aren't physical &/0r strong enough to tackle. This defense sucks. Etch has to go.

never should have been hired at all.  anyone ... including Greg Marshall would've been better...sad to say

A lot of Rider fans said that Etch wasn't a bad DC but teams would figure him out by labour day and he wouldn't adjust anything which is why the Riders always had good starts but terrible finishes when he was the DC there. I see what they mean. The D was good for the first half but teams have caught on and he's doing nothing to adjust. If he continues to not adjust we will be hard pressed for another W. marcel seems the same way. Not much adjustment and teams can figure him out. I still feel from where we were 365 days ago that we are improved. We need to continue to improve though not stand pat or decline. If we try and take this same team through next season with little to no change I'll be pissed.

As bad as our loss was last night, look at this

The entire east swept the west this weekend, so there's some comfort in that.

But come on!!!! We won't win another game this year?  I beg to differ.  We may not win more than 2 games from here on out, but no team we're playing this next week is invincible.  And teams have gotten up from awful weeks before and ours certainly can as well.

A lot of Rider fans said that Etch wasn't a bad DC but teams would figure him out by labour day and he wouldn't adjust anything which is why the Riders always had good starts but terrible finishes when he was the DC there. I see what they mean. The D was good for the first half but teams have caught on and he's doing nothing to adjust. If he continues to not adjust we will be hard pressed for another W. marcel seems the same way. Not much adjustment and teams can figure him out. I still feel from where we were 365 days ago that we are improved. We need to continue to improve though not stand pat or decline. If we try and take this same team through next season with little to no change I'll be pissed.

I'm skeptical of Etch and I wouldn't be upset if he was fired in the offseason, maybe even a little happy about that.  Our run defense has been gashed and it killed us last night and he certainly is to blame for that.

But our guys even when they were in position to make the stop simply forgot how to tackle.

That's not entirely on the DC (keyword here is "entirely") when they don't finish the tackle.  That's just bad execution on the players' part not to go up and bring the man down short of the first down on a short pass play.  Again, that's not saying he didn't fail to call out some adjustments last night when he should've, but the players bear more responsibility for not finishing tackles.

That's not entirely on the DC (keyword here is "entirely") when they don't finish the tackle.  That's just bad execution on the players' part not to go up and bring the man down short of the first down on a short pass play.  Again, that's not saying he didn't fail to call out some adjustments last night when he should've, but the players bear more responsibility for not finishing tackles.

Yes, there's more than enough blame to go around.

And not enough credit to Ottawa.

They had a good O game schemed, called, and here it is….executed.

They just about won their last three games, but had the other teams make at least one more play than them.

And we couldn't do that.

We deserved to lose.

I'll also say, I'm not really surprised about our current record.  In fact at this point in the season, I figured it probably would be tough to manufacture wins, given how thick the competition gets at this point.  And still, compared to the disaster of last year, this team is still better.

I mean, last night was bad, but it wasn't how all our losses have been.

4 of our losses, including all 3 vs SSK have been close tight competitive games that could've just as easily been won, which if that happens flips our record around to 10-4.  But with a team like ours, obviously those mistakes will happen.

And I'll keep saying this, and I know others will need to hear it, even when we were on our win streak this year, I had said this team was not Grey Cup ready yet, and while maybe 1 or 2 of the losses did drive me nuts, overall I've been able to live with most of them knowing that this team is having a lot to learn about the will to win especially late in the season.  Late season is where you run into the biggest tests because at that point, the glitter and glamour of some of your early wins wears off and the will to get up and play every game becomes harder, and our young guns have to learn that.

But I think despite that, you gotta give O'Shea rope as a first-year head coach to get it right in the future, because the right players and the right coaches will learn about situations like that.  I think if this team adds the right pieces up front on the O-line and gets a running game that opponents truly have to respect, I think in the coming years they can really become a force to reckon with.  But you gotta take the wins we've had so far as a plus and some extra topping on the cake.  Remember, we had a lot of people predicting only 4 wins for this year, and with us already at the maximum wins I predicted at 6, I think they've taken steps way ahead of what they were last year, it's just gonna take a year or 2 more before they take it to the next level.  Best thing is for Walters and co to keep building with it and not wreck the talent we do have like Mack did.

But come on!!!! We won't win another game this year?  I beg to differ.  We may not win more than 2 games from here on out, but no team we're playing this next week is invincible.  And teams have gotten up from awful weeks before and ours certainly can as well.

Well, the last decent game we played in Edmonton was won by a 100 yard pass/run to Milt Stegal on the last play of the game. Last time before that was the coming out party for Khari Jones but he was ulitmately outduelled by Crowley and we lost 51 to 49 (or something like that). In between, and after, no matter how bad the esks are, or good the bombers are - the bombers lay an egg in Commonwealth. 

Esks D will probably get another shutout - Esks will probably run for another 300 yards. You say no team this week is invincible? The way the Esks compare to the bombers, especially in Commonwealth - the Esks are invincible to the bombers. It will be a complete blowout. 

And don't forget - after that we have Calgary twice and B.C. once - then the bye week. 6 - 12 is much more likely than not as those team will all be playing for positioning. In B.C.'s case it will be for a cross over. Calgary will still be fighting for first. Last week of the year, we'd have a chance but we don't play - so I think we're done.

I wish there was reason to be optimistic that this edition of the Bombers had the talent and grit to win another game or two this season, but although reality sucks here, it persists. It you look at the other CFL teams, almost all have made moves during the season to bolster the team and improved or plugged holes well as a result, but all we have done is add Stoudemire from Sask's PR. We have been out-played, out-coached and maybe even out-Gm'ed. The teams we are going to have to face are flat-out better than we are, and our players know it. It seems that the only Bomber who is pissed off at the team's performance is Leggett.

yup 6-12 is almost guaranteed.  We're spiraling now..

Getting exposed over and over again.  EJ cannot possible be in the line up at all anymore right?...one of the dumbest guys out there.  And barely average as a linebacker..which = he's useless to us.  Just play Kromah, we're done anyway 

Can you explain how we are being exposed exactly? we are in these games for the most part, The redblack game was a stinker and so was the bc game (willy got hurt tho) but the team has had chances to win, they keep making mistakes tho, turnovers, special teams turnovers have killed us this season, you eliminate those special teams turnovers and we probably win 2 vs sask, the bc game? man The D held us in right until the 4th but when you are playing your 2nd string qb who has had like no reps, and can't move the offence at all, eventually the D will tire out. We got blown out by the redblacks sure, but again mistakes, tackling issues, turnovers. If we could actually eliminate our mistakes (mainly turnovers and special team blunders) we would have won several of those games. How are we being exposed exactly? outside of one game vs ottawa and one game vs bc, and i suppose the toronto game, we have been in every game this year with a chance to even win most of them.. Exposed? How? 

This team is 6-8 right now but eliminating mistakes and turnovers, which easily could have been avoided if we actually had some depth at some positions, guess easier said than done tho, that 6-8 easily could be 10-4. we have been blown out once, just so happens it was against the worst team in the league but besides that game and the other 2 i mentioned, we could have won every other game we lost if not for shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Getting exposed over and over again.  EJ cannot possible be in the line up at all anymore right?...one of the dumbest guys out there.  And barely average as a linebacker..which = he's useless to us.  Just play Kromah, we're done anyway 

Can you explain how we are being exposed exactly? we are in these games for the most part, The redblack game was a stinker and so was the bc game (willy got hurt tho) but the team has had chances to win, they keep making mistakes tho, turnovers, special teams turnovers have killed us this season, you eliminate those special teams turnovers and we probably win 2 vs sask, the bc game? man The D held us in right until the 4th but when you are playing your 2nd string qb who has had like no reps, and can't move the offence at all, eventually the D will tire out. We got blown out by the redblacks sure, but again mistakes, tackling issues, turnovers. If we could actually eliminate our mistakes (mainly turnovers and special team blunders) we would have won several of those games. How are we being exposed exactly? outside of one game vs ottawa and one game vs bc, and i suppose the toronto game, we have been in every game this year with a chance to even win most of them.. Exposed? How? 

This team is 6-8 right now but eliminating mistakes and turnovers, which easily could have been avoided if we actually had some depth at some positions, guess easier said than done tho, that 6-8 easily could be 10-4. we have been blown out once, just so happens it was against the worst team in the league but besides that game and the other 2 i mentioned, we could have won every other game we lost if not for shooting ourselves in the foot. 

I don't disagree with you entirely.  However, football games are usually won or lost by one or two big plays (often turnovers).  Also, many of those turnovers were not as easy to avoid as you make it sound.  A good number of them were the cumulative result of too much pressure on Willy and poor snapping on punts.  If anything, I dare say there could have been MORE turnovers on special teams.

I don't disagree with you entirely.  However, football games are usually won or lost by one or two big plays (often turnovers).  Also, many of those turnovers were not as easy to avoid as you make it sound.  A good number of them were the cumulative result of too much pressure on Willy and poor snapping on punts.  If anything, I dare say there could have been MORE turnovers on special teams.

This is true. I was going to add though, if anything has been exposed, it's been our lack of depth and we all know that would probably be an issue this season if a few guys got injured. 

We lost to Ottawa. We're hopeless.

And BC also only beat them 7-5 without any touchdowns.

BC has also been hit hard with injuries since then, so that makes it easier for Winnipeg to beat them. I also see BC getting upset once by someone else too.

Don't count them out yet.

I'm not giving BC the playoff berth yet either. If they don't take care of business against Winnipeg and Ottawa I could definitely see Montreal making it to 8 wins and getting in ahead of them.

I think the point though, is that with some small improvements it is possible to turn those big plays the other way and win some more games. It's not like this team is in a huge hole, just some things to clean up and more wins will follow. 

I think the point though, is that with some small improvements it is possible to turn those big plays the other way and win some more games. It's not like this team is in a huge hole, just some things to clean up and more wins will follow. 

Sure.  Like a better long snapper and an improved offensive line.  There was potential for a lot more botched snaps to be turnovers.  Some alert plays by the punter have saved the day several times.  

Folks love to point to a few specific plays in each game and say: 'If these plays / penalties / turnovers didn't happen, we would have won".  The problem is this team isn't good enough to stop making mistakes or stop turning the ball over or take advantage of the calls that go our way.  We are so close to failing each game that any bad call or big play that goes against us or pick causes us to lose the games.  We're just not good enough to come back from these things that happen in every football game.

I couldn't care less if any of our coordinators are back next year.  MB's average to below average.  Etch's defenses are routinely owned by the run and are figured out by mid-season.  Our special teams coordinator has been horrible.  Going forward with any of these guys if there are any better coaches available is the definition of doing the same thing and hoping for different results.  I'm not certain that O'Shea is the right guy for the job either, but I'm willing to give him another year to see if he can turn this around.

We're 4 or 5 difference making players away from being a competitive team.  A couple of O lineman, a receiver, a MLB and a DE are on my wish list.  We need a couple of them to be NI's too.  We need to use Free Agency to get better.  If anyone will give us a 2nd rounder for Watson, we need to make that deal.

In short... 6 wins are better than 3, but neither are good enough, even in yet another rebuilding year.

We're 4 or 5 difference making players away from being a competitive team.  A couple of O lineman, a receiver, a MLB and a DE are on my wish list.  We need a couple of them to be NI's too.  We need to use Free Agency to get better.  If anyone will give us a 2nd rounder for Watson, we need to make that deal.

I disagree. This is already a competitive team and when healthy maybe even a decent team. What we need more than anything is depth so that losing a player like Moore or Wild doesn't leave the team without adequate players in those positions. Sure there's some places that could use upgrades, but to suggest that this team isn't competitive already is just ludicrous. They have been competitive in almost every game they've played this season. If we add 4 or 5 difference makers we're one of the best teams in the league. Or is that what you mean by competitive? Being one of the best is the only way to be competitive? Cause that's equally ridiculous. 

I disagree. This is already a competitive team and when healthy maybe even a decent team. What we need more than anything is depth so that losing a player like Moore or Wild doesn't leave the team without adequate players in those positions. Sure there's some places that could use upgrades, but to suggest that this team isn't competitive already is just ludicrous. They have been competitive in almost every game they've played this season. If we add 4 or 5 difference makers we're one of the best teams in the league. Or is that what you mean by competitive? Being one of the best is the only way to be competitive? Cause that's equally ridiculous. 

If you consider being in most of the games competitive, I guess we're competitive, but I don't look at it that way.  I call top half of the league competitive and I sincerely doubt we will be there at the end of the season.  Winning more than you lose is competitive, losing more than you win isn't.  Losing 8 out of 9 games isn't competitive.  We were great in the first third of the season, competitive for the first half of the season, but we aren't anymore and we're still trending downward.

4 or 5 upgraded players won't get us to top spot in the league.  It will put us in the top half, which is where we need to be to not only make the playoffs, but have a chance of winning it all.

Depth is kind of a big deal.

If you consider being in most of the games competitive, I guess we're competitive, but I don't look at it that way.  I call top half of the league competitive and I sincerely doubt we will be there at the end of the season.  Winning more than you lose is competitive, losing more than you win isn't.  Losing 8 out of 9 games isn't competitive.  We were great in the first third of the season, competitive for the first half of the season, but we aren't anymore and we're still trending downward.

4 or 5 upgraded players won't get us to top spot in the league.  It will put us in the top half, which is where we need to be to not only make the playoffs, but have a chance of winning it all.

In retrospect were the Bombers are now is very similar to were the Esks. were last year, especially when comparing Willy to Reilly.  The Esks. came close in a lot of games last year but ultimately finished with a 4-14 record with two of those being V's against Wpg.  That got their H.C. fired but they have played very well this year in general.  Hopefully the Bombers trend is the similar.