Time for some tough love on....

KptKrunch

I don't need to keep going back to the Sask game, there is multiple examples of him doing it all throughout each game he's played, but the Sask game is the most glarinly obvious example and requires little explanation. If I were to site every example of this game and the last game, it would be take me quite awhile, because there is plenty of examples to go through.

Same to you, clearly your seeing what you want to see.

Dude, you and Kpt and everyone else blaming Willy are letting your emotions cloud your judgement.  You're just looking for someone to blame for the loss and you're putting it on Willy.  Had he scored the TD at the end you'd have forgotten any other mistakes he made today and be heralding him as the savior.  But instead you're taking the last plays of the game, which were butchered by the refs constant stopping of the game while they had momentum, and feeding off of that.  I have not once seen you complain that it was Lirim's, or Wild's fault for losing the game because of that botched punt attempt.  Have you not noticed that we're not the only team in the league that is low scoring for the last few weeks?  Something is going wonky or the defenses are just overpowering the offenses.  You're blaming Willy as if he should be throwing for 400 yards and going 30 for 30 in attempts.  He's a rookie QB and he's barely getting time to throw.  Wanna know why he's throwing for over 300 yards?  Cause he's a pretty damn good rookie QB!

Go eat your Collaros or Burris cornflakes...cause it's too bad we didn't get them right?

Well, I'm not laying all the blame on Willy - I'm simply pointing out that when we went 5 and 1 Willy was getting all the credit - Willypeg and getting free dinners, etc. I'm no longer in love with the guy, that's all. He will get better he's still youngish and has he definitely has the talent and the leadership. No way I'm going to run him out of town. I'll also agree our oline is terrible (not Grigsby, I'm getting sick of that actually, put Grigsby in Sk or Calgary he'll do just fine) and our receivers are ok - not the best in the league but a lot better than we give them credit for. 

I started this thread because I think it's time Willy gets brought down to earth. We won some games early because of defense and special teams. Willy brought us back in a few games too with game winning drives (in Mtrl and Hamilton in particular) but he's done pretty much squat in the past 7 games. Even tonight - a 300 yard game he had yes, and put up a whopping 9 points with those 300 yards. That's the point I'm trying to make. 

I don't want to throw him under the bus, but he's far from the QB in the league, he's not the best QB in the West. BLM, Durant are miles ahead of him (and BLM is younger), Tate is just showing his lack of playing time over the past two and half years. He's at least as good as Willy. Reilly has much better legs than Willy, and I truly believe is issue is he added too much bulk. Just like when Buck Pierce did - and Buck had his worst year throwing when he did it. It messes with your mechanics. 

IT's time Willy share his responsibility for these losses - 9TD passes since the first game of the year. I stand by what said earlier, if Willy's name was Glenn, or Burris, or maybe even Collaros, he'd be getting lynched by now with those kinds of stats. 

And again, not trying to run him out of town, not trying to make a 'hate' thread on him. Just trying to get people's heads out of the sand. And for all the stats, the only one I see is one and six now in the last seven. The playoffs are gone now - no way we can compete with the way all our offense is playing. That includes Mr. Willy.

No running game, crappy receivers and a less than stellar O-line but you feel the need to 'bring him back to earth.' Wow. Oh, and dude's playing injured.

Drew Willy is the best thing to happen to this team in a long time. He made some mistakes tonight. It sucks. We lost.

This reads like a Stephen A. Smith argument - QB is not solely responsible for wins and losses, despite what some want you to believe.

No running game, crappy receivers and a less than stellar O-line but you feel the need to 'bring him back to earth.' Wow. Oh, and dude's playing injured.

Drew Willy is the best thing to happen to this team in a long time. He made some mistakes tonight. It sucks. We lost.

This reads like a Stephen A. Smith argument - QB is not solely responsible for wins and losses, despite what some want you to believe.

Hey, I think you're getting it my fellow Captain. Tell me then, why was he? When we were 5 - 1 it was Willypeg - like I said he won a couple games with late drives but otherwise, it was a team effort. I agree a QB can get too much credit for  a win and too much for a loss as well. But he's not been playing well for weeks now, but it seems to be ignored. And I agree, he's not surrounded by stars, especially on the oline, but that doesn't excuse his less than stellar play of late. No one here seems to be acknowledging it though, they tend to blame our running game, our oline, and our play calling. It's a combination and Willy is just as responsible. Funny though - the QB is the highest paid player on the team. And no one here will argue that you can win without a QB (don't believe me, put Justin Goltz in Sask or Calgary as a starter, see how many wins those teams get) and I think Willy is definitely our QB of the future. But I'm not above giving him equal blame for a loss and tonight we had a chance early to score, Grigsby was running well, and Willy failed on his side. He didn't pick up until late. That's a fact. Watch the game again and see how many overthrows and underthrows he made. That's not on the oline, play calling, or the running game. That's on Willy.

If willy couldn't hear the play call why would he sacrifice a down? Wouldn't just about anything be better than that? Can he not call his own play?

Also seemed to be a willy error on the last play. He was tossing that ball right there no matter what. Didn't even look up. Just tossed it. When he's successful he has more patience.

Bombers in free fall. Will they win another game?

Over 300 yards passing, no turnovers, over 65 per cent completion percentage. Yes, lets blame the quarterback. Unbelievable. By the way, the guy who 95 per cent of this message board wanted in the offseason was just over 55 per cent passing, didn't throw or run for a touchdown and had under 200 yards passing.

I don't disagree but that time count was inexcusable and you can't expect to win a game when you score 11 points.

You score 11 points when you take 15 penalties for 120 yards. As for the timecount, considering this, what would you have liked him to do...?

Darrin Bauming ‏@DarrinBauming 4m

O'Shea says Willy couldn't hear play call, which lead to timecount violation on second and goal in final seconds. #Bombers

They should call the play over the mic in the helmet & also have a signal system so Willy can check & knows the play in a situation like this. 

Our defense actually did quite well aside from a few plays. Now was that because to they were good or because Hamilton isn't really that good?

Grigsby is fine when he gets a decent hole.

Oline had a few good plays (even if people refuse to see them) but that was it.

The thing that bugs me as I mentioned in the other thread - why did Willy not even try and give his receivers a chance at the ball on the last few plays? The ball was nowhere near them. And he had decent time for those throws.

All this stuff that will slowly improve but it still stings.

some of you people really need to lighten up and stop being so damned reactionary. Take a step back, take a deep breath, actually look at things logically and then maybe you can stop this nonsense like insinuating that Willy is the problem. This team simply can not deal with the injuries we have right now, in particular Moore. Our group of receivers are just not dangerous being down our best one. 

If I'm OC with 3 tries from the 3 yard line I'm running the ball a minimum of 2 times. Terrible, terrible play calling and game management at the end of the game.

With Grigbsy and no timeout, I'm not.  The only run play I would have tried there is QB Draw.  Hamilton wasn't going to let Grigsby beat them around the edge, and he can't make a cut to save his life between the tackles.

If I'm OC with 3 tries from the 3 yard line I'm running the ball a minimum of 2 times. Terrible, terrible play calling and game management at the end of the game.

With Grigbsy and no timeout, I'm not.  The only run play I would have tried there is QB Draw.  Hamilton wasn't going to let Grigsby beat them around the edge, and he can't make a cut to save his life between the tackles.

A good idea in theory, but you may recall that the Bombers tried a QB draw a bit earlier and not only did it fail, it looked like a Keystone Kops routine. All it needed to complete the picture was the comedic sounds effects.

A good idea in theory, but you may recall that the Bombers tried a QB draw a bit earlier and not only did it fail, it looked like a Keystone Kops routine. All it needed to complete the picture was the comedic sounds effects.

And what was the gain on that play?

Willy's carrying the offense.

No run game, one consistent playmaker, a bunch of guys who show up once a month (Kelly, Bryant, Watson).  Hard for me to put much blame on him.  Our team just isn't very good.

I'd hate to think where we'd be without Willy, he's surround by a mediocre cast and crew.

The run defense illusion is because Hamilton run game stinks.

Yet their only TD came on two straight hand offs from the 30 with basically no resistance from the defence. Same old same old all around with this bunch that has been consistent since the losing started. Offense, defense and special teams all having brain farts.

Willy's carrying the offense.

No run game, one consistent playmaker, a bunch of guys who show up once a month (Kelly, Bryant, Watson).  Hard for me to put much blame on him.  Our team just isn't very good.

I'd hate to think where we'd be without Willy, he's surround by a mediocre cast and crew.

We'd be in 2013.

And what was the gain on that play?

I think it was about 2 yards and Willy got clobbered real good.

Drew Willy 

Sorry boys not good enough. It took nearly TWO full games to get one stinking TD. And yes, Drew missed the second half against B.C., cause we would have won that game if he stayed healthy wouldn't we - as Willy and the juggernaut offense under Willy in that first half put up THREE points. First half tonight -THREE points. That's not good enough. Period. I like Willy, he's a keeper, but enough of Grigsby, our run defense, and special teams. 

Willy got all the glory on the 5 -1  start, he deserves the horns for being 1 - 6 since. 

hope you don't hurt yourself too badly jumping on and off the bandwagon

I remember that and to me the issue on that play was ...... Willy. When you run a QB draw you have to disguise it. He didn't. He took the snap and immediately ran down field. If you look at successful QB draws, the QB almost always either takes a step or two back first, then goes forward (provided there is a hole for him to exploit) or he does a pump fake to get the Dlineman's heads to turn. Willy did neither, he took the ball and took off as fast as he got it. The dlinemen for Hamilton was just playing regular and was there waiting for him. Poor execution on that play, and that was all Willy, not MB, not the Olines, not Grigsby, and nothing to do with special teams. 

Over 300 yards passing, no turnovers, over 65 per cent completion percentage. Yes, lets blame the quarterback. Unbelievable. By the way, the guy who 95 per cent of this message board wanted in the offseason was just over 55 per cent passing, didn't throw or run for a touchdown and had under 200 yards passing.

I don't disagree but that time count was inexcusable and you can't expect to win a game when you score 11 points.

You score 11 points when you take 15 penalties for 120 yards. As for the timecount, considering this, what would you have liked him to do...?

Darrin Bauming ‏@DarrinBauming 4m

O'Shea says Willy couldn't hear play call, which lead to timecount violation on second and goal in final seconds. #Bombers

Call his own play.

You got it

You guys act like this is the NFL where the QB has 40 seconds to react if he doesn't get the play call in.  The coach tells him that MB makes the play calls, not him, and if MB isn't sending in the play call or they're having technical difficulties, the QB doesn't have time to go...oh screw it, I'll just call a play and then have time to tell his team what the play is.  He's either got to be given the OK to call his own play, or be told he has to wait for the OC to call it.  This is a rookie starting QB here.  This isn't Ray at the helm who's been doing this for 10 years.

Geez you guys, think about what you're saying.

Thanks for the advice.

We teach our high school quarterbacks to call their own play, or at the very least a QB sneak if something breaks down on the play sent in.

The reason behind that is it's typically a rare occasion, and anything is better than a penalty, especially LOD.