Odds and Sods - Blue Bombers at B.C Lions

do or die

It really is like getting to the oasis (bye week), dragging a few players the last few miles to shade and water. (rest)

This bye week is sorely needed and I'm not using the sore word lightly.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we'll have a somewhat healthy lineup in two weeks and a new outlook.

It really is like getting to the oasis (bye week), dragging a few players the last few miles to shade and water. (rest)

This bye week is sorely needed and I'm not using the sore word lightly.

Perhaps, just perhaps, we'll have a somewhat healthy lineup in two weeks and a new outlook.

No question the break is a Godsend, but the reality is, to belabour a point, that the team was spiraling downward before all the owies hit. Since many of  the usual suspects will be back in two weeks, there is no reason to expect a miraculous turnaround.

No, you're wrong Dr CFL. Our offense is better, much better with Willy compared to last year. Some aspects of our special teams aren't very good like long snapping. Others aren't bad like punt & KO returns. Defensively we just out & out suck. 

I'm not so sure about that.  3 points in the 1st half with Willy at the helm for most of it.  Last night I saw a defence that just ran out of gas but played pretty well  until the 4th but again the offence didn't help them out.   

Willy makes the difference. We have issues in other areas that hurt this team as well. 

Hopefully we will see a Big MLB come to town that has speed, a Bighill type that just got cut in the NFL.

Wont' happen, we'll stand pat because all we have to do is "watch the film and fix mistakes."

That's what all teams do but regardless, what's your point? you want some quick fixes to come in? I see people say yeah we need a MLB who just got cut from the NFL, a bighill type, in other words, we need one of the best if not the best MLB in the league.. yeah that seems likely to find in one week. Sure. That's totally realistic. 

An all-star MLB will be tough to find, but it shouldn't be that hard to find one better than Kuale.

or Maybe Kuale isn't as big of a problem as some are making him out to be, Kuale got hurt last night, missed the entire second half really... see what happened when he wasn't in the game? the lions ran the ball down our throats, Kuale is just one player. It's not just one player. 

thanks dod, great read.

The offence seems to be more of a problem than the defence.

I listened on the radio, thought I heard Bob say Willy missed open Grigsby early in the game, near the B.C. goal. settled for three.

Our offence has been unable to score and move the ball consistently, for a number of games, after starting off very strong this year.

It is funny how kuale goes out and we reaaaaaally crap the bed on run defense. Maybe he isnt as useless as many profess?? We definitely need to get healthy more so then anything.. Our defense is built on misdirection and pressure... Lose either one and it becomes predictable and easily picked on..

I think injuries causing shuffling of the front 7 has caused us a lot grief... We were undersized before but the backups... Yikes. Our depth has been exposed more so then anything else..

An all-star MLB will be tough to find, but it shouldn't be that hard to find one better than Kuale.

or Maybe Kuale isn't as big of a problem as some are making him out to be, Kuale got hurt last night, missed the entire second half really... see what happened when he wasn't in the game? the lions ran the ball down our throats, Kuale is just one player. It's not just one player. 

I will agree having Kuale out in the second didn't make much of a difference and Kromah could have been more effective.  Our defense is a "bend but don't break" D which is what it did up until around mid 4th quarter.  Then what happened is what happens every time you have the Bend don't Break D paired with an ineffective offense, the D is exhausted, beaten up and finally breaks. The Etch D needs a good offense to be effective, without it we get what happened last night.  Very frustrating, especially when you watch Bighill, Elimimian and that B.C D do their thing.  Made me jealous.

Injuries make this team look a lot worse than it actually is. With our Game 1 roster, I believe we go toe to toe with anyone, but as depleted as we are, we are an awful team. Thought the D actually looked pretty good until they got absolutely gassed at the end of the game.

The D kept the score close until the Arceneaux TD with 3 mins. remaining in the game, can't ask for more than that.

I will agree having Kuale out in the second didn't make much of a difference and Kromah could have been more effective.  Our defense is a "bend but don't break" D which is what it did up until around mid 4th quarter.  Then what happened is what happens every time you have the Bend don't Break D paired with an ineffective offense, the D is exhausted, beaten up and finally breaks. The Etch D needs a good offense to be effective, without it we get what happened last night.  Very frustrating, especially when you watch Bighill, Elimimian and that B.C D do their thing.  Made me jealous.

Doug Brown said that what allows Bighill, Elimimian to be so effective is that they are allowed to play "clean" meaning they are in essence rovers that are allowed to react to the play without having to susidize a weak D-lines play like the Bomber LBers.  This is why they achieve such high tackle numbers because they are not assigned blocking duties and simply track the ball wherever it goes.

Hopefully we will see a Big MLB come to town that has speed, a Bighill type that just got cut in the NFL.

Wont' happen, we'll stand pat because all we have to do is "watch the film and fix mistakes."

That's what all teams do but regardless, what's your point? you want some quick fixes to come in? I see people say yeah we need a MLB who just got cut from the NFL, a bighill type, in other words, we need one of the best if not the best MLB in the league.. yeah that seems likely to find in one week. Sure. That's totally realistic. 

So you can't find the point? This might help, but I doubt it.

this-sign-has-sharp-edges.jpg

Doug Brown said that what allows Bighill, Elimimian to be so effective is that they are allowed to play "clean" meaning they are in essence rovers that are allowed to react to the play without having to susidize a weak D-lines play like the Bomber LBers.  This is why they achieve such high tackle numbers because they are not assigned blocking duties and simply track the ball wherever it goes.

They are both incredibly fast for big men too.

Read somewhere that Sears hamstring injury is not fully recuperated, this would be the only logical explanation in my eyes.

I had heard the same thing but….

Mike O'Shea confirmed on the Coach's show tonight that Sears is 100% healthy and that they consider the defensive backfield to be good condition at this time.

When it comes right down to it, Sears is competing with Leggett, in terms of the position they consider him for.

There was no talk whatsoever in consideration of Sears in some sort of LB role.

They, as we, consider him a very good player.

Romby Bryant was also mentioned and O'Shea considers him as one of the faster receivers, and they are trying to use him accordingly.

So far, we've only seen some hits (receptions) but more misses, but that may be a QB-receiver type issue.

And that can be worked on, IMO.

Yeah.....bunch of things,,,

Injuries in the D front 7 are catching up with them - the patchwork front 4 looked none too good.  Ian Wild is sorely missed

Needed a bye a couple of weeks ago

Tough that Willy went down.....but we need more than 33 yds from the backup

Special teams and discipline have taken a left turn

Still question what our OC and DC are doing out there - BC made more adjustments.

Running game still sporadic

We have some receivers who are not fighting through tough coverage

OL still at the bottom 3rd of league

Western teams are just far better than the East

Exactly. Ask Calgary how it worked out for them. O'Shea put it best that this is what they signed up for.

Oh and get Romby off the field. Use Grigsby more as a slot back, couldn't hurt.