Bombers holding secret practices

gbill2004

What Wiecek says was totally stupid. What does a closed practice & taxpayers money to build a stadium have to do anything? If we use Paul Wiecek's incredibly twisted logic then season & game day tickets should be free to every taxpayer in Winnipeg because you guys paid for that stadium with your tax dollars. Complaining about closed practices & tying it into publc money? Now I've heard everything. 

It's hilarious that the folks who tell me not to read these threads can't follow their own advice and not read the newspapers. :D

I would think the difference is that this message board's basic purpose is to talk about the team, the articles, and by extension the press.

Where as you decided to call those posters out directly for doing pretty much exactly why this message board exists.

As far as I know you aren't part of the Winnipeg media, so why do you care if people complain about it.

Let's also consider the fact that I've seen numerous threads on this site discussing a well written article as well. We are not slow to give praise to a writer when they deserve it. We're probably even quicker actually, since we're all so desperate for them.

Do we have to have a pack mentality here when we disagree with someone's opinions? I think it's wrong to personally attack TBurgess because he simply stated his opinion. I may not agree with him because I think what Paul Wiecek wrote was totally stupid but TBurgess has every right to say what he thinks without being insulted. There's a difference between being a troll like Road Griller who says **** to draw attention to himself on every thread or being an actual contributor to this site like TBurgess is. I think some of you need to cut him a bit of slack. 

The person who really deserves grief is the sports editor at the FP.  He needs to challenge the reporters to do better, and their columnist at times too.  Problem is the Free Press is governed by seniority.  They can't get rid of anybody once they are tenure, people get promoted based on seniority and whenever they need to make cuts or changes, it is all done by seniority not merit.

There's another doozy by Wiecek in the FP today, which has basically nothing to do with the game today, on gameday.  Interesting that these types of articles almost never have a byline of Tait, Penton or Wiebe.

Do we have to have a pack mentality here when we disagree with someone's opinions? I think it's wrong to personally attack TBurgess because he simply stated his opinion. I may not agree with him because I think what Paul Wiecek wrote was totally stupid but TBurgess has every right to say what he thinks without being insulted. There's a difference between being a troll like Road Griller who says **** to draw attention to himself on every thread or being an actual contributor to this site like TBurgess is. I think some of you need to cut him a bit of slack. 

My thought has always been that if you're going to put your opinion out there you had better be prepared for people to take objection to it. 

Except he wasn't agreeing with the article, he was whining about posters who happened to be complaining about the article. Which is really adding nothing to the discussion and very close to trolling. He knew the exact reaction he would get when he posted it.

You realize he basically insulted everyone else who replied to this thread before anyone even responded to him, right?

C/mon Iso, that's not the way it went down.

It's not the 1st time TBurg has jumped in with his media schtick comment.

He knows darn well when a poorly written article gets printed, chances are there will be opinions on them, more deserved than not.

That's not going to change.

Why is there no fuss when we compliment good writing by the media?

It's like Rich says…it's borderline trolling

C/mon Iso, that's not the way it went down.

It's not the 1st time TBurg has jumped in with his media schtick comment.

He knows darn well when a poorly written article gets printed, chances are there will be opinions on them, more deserved than not.

That's not going to change.

Why is there no fuss when we compliment good writing by the media?

It's like Rich says…it's borderline trolling

it's not borderline anything, it is trolling.

Much like roadgriller trolls with his comments an dmuch like 17to85 trolls with his i'm smarter than everybody else(they are added solely to get a reaction) comments. There is no borderline about any of it, say something you know isn't true and you know will be strongly argued against just to get a reaction out of people then and you are trolling. The more you do it, the bigger the troll you are.

That's no small caveat, given the Bombers are holding those stealth workouts in a $210-million stadium that was paid for in large part by taxpayer funds.

Give. Me. A. ****ing. Break.

No kidding. All teams hold closed practices, if they don't they are doing a disservice to the fanbase. Like Cortez has stated before, yes some teams actually plant fans to scope out opponents practices. Aren't all NFL practices closed to the public?

If any team wants to hold occasional closed practices then really so what? If the practices were closed all season then yes, the media & fans would have a right to criticize. But this is a non story except to Paul Wiecek who is the most negative reporter covering the Bombers. He looks for negative things to print.

I listened to the O'shea press conference where he was constantly asked about it by I'm assuming it was WICEK. And honestly, from what O'shea said, I don't think that i would even consider that a practice. O'shea was right with what he said, basically saying fans wouldn't see much, they would just see a few guys on the field in sweat pants and that stuff walking around. I've been to 1 bomber practise this year and that practise i saw, they were all wearing their pads and stuff, this one, they don't. I don't see the big deal here and it seems the majority feels the same way. Wicek, lol, i agree with the others who have said if you go to a practise and look around, you see all the media huddles up, talking to each other, not paying attention to the practise at all, I go back to a time last season i believe, buck pierce threw like 1 pass and toth  tweeted that pierce has looked good today, he threw one darn pass lol.

The media doesn't even pay attention to what is going on on the field, they don't. People from outside the city or province may not understand exactly cuz they don't have the luxury to go to a practise if they want but... seriously, for the 2 hours or so i was there, the media guys maybe turned their heads twice to look at the field and that's only when the fans who were there reacted to a play on the field. 

If i want to know what happened at a practise, i certainly don't pick up the paper to find out cuz i just won't, theres maybe one or 2 small lines there about what went on at practise, honestly, if i want to know how practise went, i either go myself and check it out (when i can) or just... come to this site and read the fans practise reports because they are a lot more in depth than what the papers give us. That's for sure. 

I don't mind the media asking about O'Shea's practice schedule and how he conducts "Zero Day" practices because finally we do get an insight into why there are only two practices a week. I had wondered about that, especially when we had time for three.

Now we know O'Shea prefers up tempo practices and doesn't want to exhaust his players….which he believes leads to mental exhaustion which leads to posts like Ω√∫˜µ≤≤ makes. mistakes. 

He prefers teaching and fixing errors, with some of it in the classroom.

He feels it's working as evidenced by how much energy they still have in the 4th quarter.

Hard to argue with that.

What I don't get is there is ammunition (info) to be gleaned from these practices and backgrounds to every position on the team. But somebody has to do their homework.

Ed Tait does, Randy Turner used to. 

They just have to pay attention to a certain position or positions each time and not only will they get their blurbs…they might learn something

The hate the media in this city has for the Bombers is bordering on obsessive.

I agree the media there sure gets after the team. But I will say as a Rider fan I wish our media asked some friggin questions sometimes that the fans really would like to know the answers to.  O'Shea had a tough post game presser after the labor day game, thought he handled it fairly well. Its a fine line sometimes between the media being too tough and being pom pom wavers.