Our Seceret Sauce

BigBlue

We have won and lost a lot of close games this year .... at times I thought we had the "will to win" but clearly we are not there yet ... sigh

Yes we need to upgrade our talent here and there ... and get better at this or that ... bit what is going to give us the "heart of a championship club"

As we put together our secret sauce what is the one ingredient we must add?

Howard played well today and the last couple games for that matter, I think he will be a good one eventually. Plays with a mean streak, gotta like that part of his game, the rest is just coaching really, Not gonna call out howard anymore cuz it's not just him, if it was just him messing up, he wouldn't be playing. It's the entire line really at times. Most pressure today came up the middle it seemed.

Anyway though, what are we missing

In My Humble Opinion

- That dominant defensive end who can get pressure on the QB constantly (hello alex hall)

- a MLB with size so we can push WILD (when/if he is healthy out to the WIL spot)

- A defensive tackle, perhaps that dominant defensive end is in house already but he's playing the wrong spot.. SACK Anderson is that guy maybe but.. need a big DT so anderson can move to the outside more.. Dude is a beast and should be playing DE. is there a trade to be made with hamilton here? Hamilton lacks an oline, maybe jones or swiston and a pick (not 1st) to hamilton for one of their Canadian DLINE. they have a plethora of them. 

- The oline looked good today and seem to be getting better, sask has a good dline, bombers gave up a couple sacks and a couple hurries but..not as much as some other teams have given up vs sask... Think we still need a guard though and a better tackle, January ain't getting much younger or better, seems to get a free press here though

- Better Canadian depth, that won't happen this season though, that's a long term fix, when we have 7 legit starting Canadians........

- Wild to be healthy, We miss him badly.. if he is going to be out a while, a long snapper is needed. 

Howard played well today and the last couple games for that matter, I think he will be a good one eventually. Plays with a mean streak, gotta like that part of his game, the rest is just coaching really, Not gonna call out howard anymore cuz it's not just him, if it was just him messing up, he wouldn't be playing. It's the entire line really at times. Most pressure today came up the middle it seemed.

Anyway though, what are we missing

In My Humble Opinion

- That dominant defensive end who can get pressure on the QB constantly (hello alex hall)

- a MLB with size so we can push WILD (when/if he is healthy out to the WIL spot)

- A defensive tackle, perhaps that dominant defensive end is in house already but he's playing the wrong spot.. SACK Anderson is that guy maybe but.. need a big DT so anderson can move to the outside more.. Dude is a beast and should be playing DE. is there a trade to be made with hamilton here? Hamilton lacks an oline, maybe jones or swiston and a pick (not 1st) to hamilton for one of their Canadian DLINE. they have a plethora of them.

- The oline looked good today and seem to be getting better, sask has a good dline, bombers gave up a couple sacks and a couple hurries but..not as much as some other teams have given up vs sask... Think we still need a guard though and a better tackle, January ain't getting much younger or better, seems to get a free press here though

- Better Canadian depth, that won't happen this season though, that's a long term fix, when we have 7 legit starting Canadians........

- Wild to be healthy, We miss him badly.. if he is going to be out a while, a long snapper is needed.

I agree that Howard has been playing better and that he could be good later on... I'm happy we stuck with him..

I also agree that we need to move one of our DT's out to end, but it's not Anderson...

After seeing Turner at end for that last game, I think he could be pretty damn good for us if we let him play there more consistently... Get him to drop 10 or 15 pounds and he'd be dominant at DE IMO.

If we get Bilukidi, I'd like a Turner/Anderson/Bilukidi/Peach DL.... Unless a new guy like Booker really impresses then start him obviously.

I'd like to see the bloody Riders run on that DL!

Although I guess it doesn't matter who is playing on the line when Etchevary has them all off to one side and the MLB off the edge.... What a dumb formation

I'd like to see Wild Kromah and Sears as our LB's. Upgrade receivers.... Kelly had a big game sure, but we still need Matthews IMO... Won't be this year I guess... Could use a depth guy to replace Romby next year to.

Other things won't be fixed this year... We need a new DC... Although a Etch isn't a terrible DC, he's just so frustrating! We can do better... We need Stubler!

Need to get those special teams worked out and a better OL, won't happen for a few years though

Moral of the story, we're not nearly close to being a complete team

Personally, I miss a breakaway receiver like Milt.  Not specifically that amazing, but someone who's got some wheels on them that can turn it up a notch when the ball is thrown deep.

Wouldn't mind a better RB.

A bit of Canadian help on the Oline as others have mentioned.

If we're just talking players, then only a couple of changes on D (*cough*get rid of Kuale*cough*) should be sufficient.

Other then that we just need to mold a bit better as a team, and grow a bit.

Thought I was back in 2008 watching Romby Bryant running past and away from the Riders dbs on that crossing route he still has some wheels. Wish we would see it more often.

The biggest thing with Romby is that he and Willy just don't have any chemistry at all. Seems when they try and stretch the field deep with him the ball is never close because they just don't know how to play with each other. I think this team needs more weapons on offense bottom line. We have a lot of guys who can make a catch at receiver but we don't have a lot of guys who can put the fear of god into a defense and I think we need a game breaker like that. Especially when we go in without Moore our receivers are not a scary group. 

Romby just isn't making it happen. Zero chemistry with Drew Willy.

If Aaron Kelly could learn how to be a better route runner, he'd be an amazing receiver. He just can't get open to save his life.

I actually happen to think our arsenal on offense is pretty damn good. We just need those final one or two pieces to replace the weak links.

Romby just isn't making it happen. Zero chemistry with Drew Willy.

If Aaron Kelly could learn how to be a better route runner, he'd be an amazing receiver. He just can't get open to save his life.

I actually happen to think our arsenal on offense is pretty damn good. We just need those final one or two pieces to replace the weak links.

I would still like a more consistent running back but Grigsby has been getting better lately and with Moore I think the receivers are passable but without him I don't like them much at all. Replace Kelly with someone who is going to be a threat every game and get some better depth otherwise and I probably do like them a lot. 

Biggest difference maker would be a powerback - again, someone who is 5'10 and 210 lbs, more suited to MB's style of playcalling.

When Nick Moore is healthy, it really does change the offence - teams respect him more than any of our other receivers.  Still would like to see JFG rotating with Watson through a game - the more you look at it, the more evidence there is that JFG was a real difference maker.

Defence is easy... even with Etch - Sears-Wild-Kromah-Sherman is the answer...  if we brought in Hall or an elite pass rusher, that makes the difference

Walters has done a really nice job on Cdn depth, we are just asking a bit too much from guys like Cornell, Richardson, etc for now.  Either way, the future finally looks promising.

Sears is not a LB he is a DB.  Playing him like he is a LB is what keeps returning him to the I.R.

O-line is getting better with the install of J. Jones but transitioning to an all-Canadian O-line is going to take a few years.  Swiston and Hinse have to step up or they'll be out on the street along with the other long serving Canadian O-lineman cut earlier this year (who's name I've already forgotten).

with Moore I think the receivers are passable but without him I don't like them much at all. Replace Kelly with someone who is going to be a threat every game and get some better depth otherwise and I probably do like them a lot.

The crazy thing is that Willy still put up 360 yards with such an underwhelming receiving crew. And he spread the ball around really well, he was doing a great job at finding the open man.

Call me crazy but after ten weeks I think the guy is the best QB we've had here since Dunigan. He's doing a great job with far less support than Khari had. He's leading the league in passing yardage (and yeah I know everyone else has a game in hand but he's got a healthy 350-400 yard lead over his competition, so it's not a phony stat.)

with Moore I think the receivers are passable but without him I don't like them much at all. Replace Kelly with someone who is going to be a threat every game and get some better depth otherwise and I probably do like them a lot.

The crazy thing is that Willy still put up 360 yards with such an underwhelming receiving crew. And he spread the ball around really well, he was doing a great job at finding the open man.

Call me crazy but after ten weeks I think the guy is the best QB we've had here since Dunigan. He's doing a great job with far less support than Khari had. He's leading the league in passing yardage (and yeah I know everyone else has a game in hand but he's got a healthy 350-400 yard lead over his competition, so it's not a phony stat.)

He's the best we've had since Khari. I've said before that I really wished Willy had the same kind of weapons Khari had because I think they could do a lot of the same kind of things. Let's not downplay what Khari was able to do ok, because he did some amazing things here. 

He's a total piece of crap and that video of him knocking out his girl was disgusting but... just saying, don't want it to happen, don't think it should happen and don't want it to happen, did i say don't want it to happen but... there is a poweback of sorts who just came available today.. Ray Rice, released by the Ravens, suspended indefinitely by the NFL, guess that means he can't play up here but... he would be the type of back some are wanting. Wouldn't he? 

Well in the off season I suggested Ed Steele and Weldon Brown and was also in favor of giving Messam a look. All three are having good seasons and would have helped our ratio if nothing else. But I just want to see an end to the narrow minded thinking. Saying those three guys don't fit the system or won't improve the club is nonsense.

Well in the off season I suggested Ed Steele and Weldon Brown and was also in favor of giving Messam a look. All three are having good seasons and would have helped our ratio if nothing else. But I just want to see an end to the narrow minded thinking. Saying those three guys don't fit the system or won't improve the club is nonsense.

Both were free agents in 2013, not this last off season.