Our Seceret Sauce

BigBlue

We're short about 5 good players on offence (2 import receivers, a tailback and a couple OL) and a couple on D.

Hard to expect consistency given the roster.  Guys like Kelly and Bryant are just average CFLers, and that's being generous, and yes Kelly is spectacular for the one game in each half of the season he makes an appearance in.  Grigsby gets worse the more carries he gets, which is the opposite kind of RB you need to win, I'll take a guy with 15 carries for 5 yards a piece over a guy who gains 2 yards 7 times and busts one for 35 yards.

I thought Grigsby was coming on and carrying the ball much better over the last few games.

He's picking up the blitzes much better and running more north and south.

He still, however, gets knocked down by  a strong wind.

At best he's a complimentary guy IMO.  Plug him into a Will Ford in Regina type role, and he'd be a good player.  Having him as the only tailback on the roster is a handicap.

Well in the off season I suggested Ed Steele and Weldon Brown and was also in favor of giving Messam a look. All three are having good seasons and would have helped our ratio if nothing else. But I just want to see an end to the narrow minded thinking. Saying those three guys don't fit the system or won't improve the club is nonsense.

Both were free agents in 2013, not this last off season.

I must have blocked out last season

Well in the off season I suggested Ed Steele and Weldon Brown and was also in favor of giving Messam a look. All three are having good seasons and would have helped our ratio if nothing else. But I just want to see an end to the narrow minded thinking. Saying those three guys don't fit the system or won't improve the club is nonsense.

Both were free agents in 2013, not this last off season.

I must have blocked out last season

That's probably a good idea.

I thought Grigsby was coming on and carrying the ball much better over the last few games.

At best he's a complimentary guy IMO.  Plug him into a Will Ford in Regina type role, and he'd be a good player.  Having him as the only tailback on the roster is a handicap.

Yes, that he is. 

We do need a more power-type of back to compliment him, but I was remarking on Grigsby improvement, as I have, in the past, questioned his abilities.

But he has been better.

He's a total piece of crap and that video of him knocking out his girl was disgusting but... just saying, don't want it to happen, don't think it should happen and don't want it to happen, did i say don't want it to happen but... there is a poweback of sorts who just came available today.. Ray Rice, released by the Ravens, suspended indefinitely by the NFL, guess that means he can't play up here but... he would be the type of back some are wanting. Wouldn't he? 

He can't play in the CFL because Cohon has said the CFL will be honouring the NFL's suspension in this case. The CFL usually only honours suspensions of NFL players under contract.

He's a total piece of crap and that video of him knocking out his girl was disgusting but... just saying, don't want it to happen, don't think it should happen and don't want it to happen, did i say don't want it to happen but... there is a poweback of sorts who just came available today.. Ray Rice, released by the Ravens, suspended indefinitely by the NFL, guess that means he can't play up here but... he would be the type of back some are wanting. Wouldn't he? 

He can't play in the CFL because Cohon has said the CFL will be honouring the NFL's suspension in this case. The CFL usually only honours suspensions of NFL players under contract.

He's a pyrriah. He's going to be charged, tried & go to jail. 

He's a pyrriah. He's going to be charged, tried & go to jail. 

There is not going to be a trial. He plead not guilty and applied for a first time offender program which means no trial and his arrest could be expunged when he completes the program.

The Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office, however, stood by its decision not to pursue jail time -- or even probation -- and allow Rice to enter a diversion program instead. 

Under PTI, a defendant will have the charge against him or her dropped once the program -- which typically spans a year -- is successfully completed. The defendant then can petition the court to have the arrest expunged. 

PTI exists in superior court, where Rice's case landed after a grand jury indicted him on a single aggravated assault charge. (He faced as many as five years in prison if convicted.) But domestic violence cases often end up in municipal court as disorderly persons charges, where a six-month jail sentence is the maximum allowable period of confinement.

I am not sure why all the fan fair over Moore; he has made some okay catches but has fumbled the ball almost every game he played.  I would much rather have Aaron Kelly, Kohlert, Denmark, Watson, Fulio and if we had to replace someone I would have Moore in for Romby but I'd rather have neither.  Moore fumbles the ball a lot and is 180k/year whilst Romby although has speed doesn't fight for the ball on errant throws.  Yes that's the quarterbacks fault for making those throws; but we have a rookie in Drew who is playing like he's a vet which makes many forget he's a rook.  We need our receivers to fight for those balls or at least try to be in it if the ball is anywhere close.  Hell that interception this last game; even if Romby took a PI call and we got penalized because of it at least it would still be Winnipeg football.

I am not sure why all the fan fair over Moore; he has made some okay catches but has fumbled the ball almost every game he played.  I would much rather have Aaron Kelly, Kohlert, Denmark, Watson, Fulio and if we had to replace someone I would have Moore in for Romby but I'd rather have neither.  Moore fumbles the ball a lot and is 180k/year whilst Romby although has speed doesn't fight for the ball on errant throws.  Yes that's the quarterbacks fault for making those throws; but we have a rookie in Drew who is playing like he's a vet which makes many forget he's a rook.  We need our receivers to fight for those balls or at least try to be in it if the ball is anywhere close.  Hell that interception this last game; even if Romby took a PI call and we got penalized because of it at least it would still be Winnipeg football.

Thank god you aren't the GM. That receiving corps has a real lack of play makers. Too many one dimensional guys. Moore despite the fumbles is a multi faceted receiver and the best guy on the team AINEC.

Name Year Team No. Yards Avg Long TD

DENMARK, C 2014 WPG 42 646 15.4 58 1

MOORE, N 2014 WPG 32 469 14.7 51 0

KELLY, A 2014 WPG 27 401 14.9 47 3

WATSON, C 2014 WPG 11 161 14.6 47 2

BRYANT, R 2014 WPG 14 154 11 47 0

KOHLERT, R 2014 WPG 25 328 13.1 37 3

FEOLI-GUDINO, J 2014 WPG 23 200 8.7 22 2

Finally we have Grigsby; who although is not a receiver still plays a significant roll in our receiving core; as well as Pontbriand

GRIGSBY, N 2014 WPG 39 341 8.7 45 1

PONTBRIAND, M 2014 WPG 7 82 11.7 28 0

Now these numbers show that in total Moore is our second best for most yards received; but on average falls into third on average yards received.  Now still great stats and he has made plays for the team but so has every other receiver up there made meaning full plays for the team at quality moments.

Now unfortunately I am not able to find any CFL numbers that record the number of times a player has fumbled; just the number of fumble recoveries a player has.  So I am going off of memory here but the only players I remember fumbling the ball that were receivers on the Winnipeg team this year was Romby Bryant and Moore.  Romby Bryant if I recall fumbled the ball once, and most of us were all over him because he had already had poor play and he was a vet brought over from Toronto that many thought was already pass the peak of his career.  The other was Moore, who has fumbled the ball from my recollection three times in the red zone and at least once possible twice not in the red zone. 

But you are going to say yes; but he has more receptions than our other receivers sitting at 32 RECEPTIONS! Of which I'll say so what Denmark has more, and if you discount those fumbles he is pushing close to the same ammount of receptions as Aaron Kelly, Rory Kohlert and JFG. 

Than we go back and forth for a bit on who thinks they are more correct; or you can't just bring up stats its about what they do in game or about getting open; and I'll bring up that he plays a position that will more than likely get more throws thrown towards him than the positions of some of our other receivers.  In which you bring up the fact that you believe he is the best receiver on the team so thats why he plays that position and the pissing match can continue.

In any case; lets agree to disagree.  The great thing is! I am not our GM and I don't ever plan on pretending that I am one.  I know very little about the CIS nor do I know much about the NCAA.  I watch football because I enjoy it; and like to follow the teams and players as it's fun.  I would also enjoy watching CIS; NCAA and DIV games but without television this doesn't happen often as it's already hard enough to stream the CFL games and honestly I have other things to do I can only waste 3-6 hours a week watching the foot ball games during foot ball season.  Often I try to make sure I see only the Winnipeg games; and often find myself having to listen to those games on the radio (thanks Tune In on my phone and CJOB)  

So let's avoid the back and forth and agree to disagree; I personally feel that 180k for Moore deserves more production out of him and less fumbles.  He is after all the highest paid receiver on the team so expectations should be higher.

... queue the stupid remarks....

*** edit eww the forum stripped the tables I'll fix them tomorrow its too late to care tonight ****

I disagree about the strong wind... he has been running through a lot of contact as of late.

He is getting better and better, hopefully he keeps improving because he isn't there just yet

Name Year Team No. Yards Avg Long TD

DENMARK, C 2014 WPG 42 646 15.4 58 1

MOORE, N 2014 WPG 32 469 14.7 51 0

KELLY, A 2014 WPG 27 401 14.9 47 3

WATSON, C 2014 WPG 11 161 14.6 47 2

BRYANT, R 2014 WPG 14 154 11 47 0

KOHLERT, R 2014 WPG 25 328 13.1 37 3

FEOLI-GUDINO, J 2014 WPG 23 200 8.7 22 2

Finally we have Grigsby; who although is not a receiver still plays a significant roll in our receiving core; as well as Pontbriand

GRIGSBY, N 2014 WPG 39 341 8.7 45 1

PONTBRIAND, M 2014 WPG 7 82 11.7 28 0

Now these numbers show that in total Moore is our second best for most yards received; but on average falls into third on average yards received.  Now still great stats and he has made plays for the team but so has every other receiver up there made meaning full plays for the team at quality moments.

Now unfortunately I am not able to find any CFL numbers that record the number of times a player has fumbled; just the number of fumble recoveries a player has.  So I am going off of memory here but the only players I remember fumbling the ball that were receivers on the Winnipeg team this year was Romby Bryant and Moore.  Romby Bryant if I recall fumbled the ball once, and most of us were all over him because he had already had poor play and he was a vet brought over from Toronto that many thought was already pass the peak of his career.  The other was Moore, who has fumbled the ball from my recollection three times in the red zone and at least once possible twice not in the red zone. 

But you are going to say yes; but he has more receptions than our other receivers sitting at 32 RECEPTIONS! Of which I'll say so what Denmark has more, and if you discount those fumbles he is pushing close to the same ammount of receptions as Aaron Kelly, Rory Kohlert and JFG. 

Than we go back and forth for a bit on who thinks they are more correct; or you can't just bring up stats its about what they do in game or about getting open; and I'll bring up that he plays a position that will more than likely get more throws thrown towards him than the positions of some of our other receivers.  In which you bring up the fact that you believe he is the best receiver on the team so thats why he plays that position and the pissing match can continue.

In any case; lets agree to disagree.  The great thing is! I am not our GM and I don't ever plan on pretending that I am one.  I know very little about the CIS nor do I know much about the NCAA.  I watch football because I enjoy it; and like to follow the teams and players as it's fun.  I would also enjoy watching CIS; NCAA and DIV games but without television this doesn't happen often as it's already hard enough to stream the CFL games and honestly I have other things to do I can only waste 3-6 hours a week watching the foot ball games during foot ball season.  Often I try to make sure I see only the Winnipeg games; and often find myself having to listen to those games on the radio (thanks Tune In on my phone and CJOB)  

So let's avoid the back and forth and agree to disagree; I personally feel that 180k for Moore deserves more production out of him and less fumbles.  He is after all the highest paid receiver on the team so expectations should be higher.

... queue the stupid remarks....

*** edit eww the forum stripped the tables I'll fix them tomorrow its too late to care tonight ****

Have you honestly forgotten that Moore has missed a sh!t load of games due to injury and is STILL umber 2 on the team in yards?

Personally I think the Bombers are pretty solid team. IMO they are right there with Edmonton and BC but not quite up to the level of Calgary and Saskatchewan. Who knows? Maybe Winnipeg matches up really well against Calgary and beats the living hell out them. I'd sure love to see that!

Personally I think the Bombers are pretty solid team. IMO they are right there with Edmonton and BC but not quite up to the level of Calgary and Saskatchewan. Who knows? Maybe Winnipeg matches up really well against Calgary and beats the living hell out them. I'd sure love to see that!

Why are they not at the level of Calgary and Saskatchewan? A few blown calls; a few mistakes; a Winnipeg catch vs Saskatchewan catch; or one less field goal pole in the way and Winnipeg wins those games.  If anything I would say they and Saskatchewan are at the same level in respects as all three games came down to less than a minute left before they were decided.  Two games came down to the final kick/throw of the game to decide who won them or not. 

Why are they not at the level of Calgary and Saskatchewan? A few blown calls; a few mistakes; a Winnipeg catch vs Saskatchewan catch; or one less field goal pole in the way and Winnipeg wins those games.  If anything I would say they and Saskatchewan are at the same level in respects as all three games came down to less than a minute left before they were decided.  Two games came down to the final kick/throw of the game to decide who won them or not. 

Those happen to all teams and the Riders didn't avoid those pitfalls in any of the three games against Winnipeg.  There was blown calls against the Riders, punt return touchdown in the LDC and a lack of discipline in the first game at IGF.  Really tough to play "what could've been" unless you are willing to do it for both teams.

The three games in Saskatchewan told me the following ... the two teams are not that far apart and if you make a mistake, it will likely cost you the game.

Both teams made multiple mistakes in each and every game so what is your point exactly?  For F sakes, in the last game alone the Riders fumbled the ball twice on third and short!  Add to that a myriad of penalties on the Riders in the first game and a punt return given up for a touchdown in the LDC.

It seems that as fans we love remembering the screw-ups that our team made but so quickly and easily dismiss the other team's blunders.

The three games in Saskatchewan told me the following ... the two teams are not that far apart and if you make a mistake, it will likely cost you the game.

Both teams made multiple mistakes in each and every game so what is your point exactly?  For F sakes, in the last game alone the Riders fumbled the ball twice on third and short!  Add to that a myriad of penalties on the Riders in the first game and a punt return given up for a touchdown in the LDC.

It seems that as fans we love remembering the screw-ups that our team made but so quickly and easily dismiss the other team's blunders.

I wouldn't call a punt return touchdown a "mistake", that'd be like calling a rushing touchdown allowed a mistake. The other team gets paid to play too.

What I'm talking about is fumbles. Interceptions. Plays that swing field position and momentum. You may have won all three and credit is certainly deserved for that but let's be honest for a second ... you didn't win a single game by more than one possession. Your margin of victory in each game was either 5 or 6 points.

We turned the ball over seven times in the first game, twice in the second and three times in the third. That's 12 turnovers in 3 games compared to only 3 for Saskatchewan. Your turnover ratio was +9 and you only won by a combined margin of 17 points in 3 games. You don't think turnovers were a BIG factor?

I wouldn't call a punt return touchdown a "mistake", that'd be like calling a rushing touchdown allowed a mistake. The other team gets paid to play too.

What I'm talking about is fumbles. Interceptions. Plays that swing field position and momentum. You may have won all three and credit is certainly deserved for that but let's be honest for a second ... you didn't win a single game by more than one possession. Your margin of victory in each game was either 5 or 6 points.

We turned the ball over seven times in the first game, twice in the second and three times in the third. That's 12 turnovers in 3 games compared to only 3 for Saskatchewan. Your turnover ratio was +9 and you only won by a combined margin of 17 points in 3 games. You don't think turnovers were a BIG factor?

Not only that but we had over 100+ yards of penalties the last game.  That right there can cost you the game.

Honestly the biggest thing the Bombers are lacking is depth. Just can't really over come the injuries as some other teams because there are some areas that are real thin.