Our Seceret Sauce

BigBlue

The three games in Saskatchewan told me the following ... the two teams are not that far apart and if you make a mistake, it will likely cost you the game.

Both teams made multiple mistakes in each and every game so what is your point exactly?  For F sakes, in the last game alone the Riders fumbled the ball twice on third and short!  Add to that a myriad of penalties on the Riders in the first game and a punt return given up for a touchdown in the LDC.

It seems that as fans we love remembering the screw-ups that our team made but so quickly and easily dismiss the other team's blunders.

I wouldn't call a punt return touchdown a "mistake", that'd be like calling a rushing touchdown allowed a mistake. The other team gets paid to play too.

What I'm talking about is fumbles. Interceptions. Plays that swing field position and momentum. You may have won all three and credit is certainly deserved for that but let's be honest for a second ... you didn't win a single game by more than one possession. Your margin of victory in each game was either 5 or 6 points.

We turned the ball over seven times in the first game, twice in the second and three times in the third. That's 12 turnovers in 3 games compared to only 3 for Saskatchewan. Your turnover ratio was +9 and you only won by a combined margin of 17 points in 3 games. You don't think turnovers were a BIG factor?

Not only that but we had over 100+ yards of penalties the last game.  That right there can cost you the game.

Kind of like the Riders in the first game at IGF on a short week?  No wait, the Riders won anyway.  Come on guys, focus on pounding the Lions.

;)

Now you can go back to riderfans and tell them how silly we are. I gather you come here to pick up some ammo?

Nope.  Bombers are in the rearview mirror.  I'm here to talk football and found myself tied up in a bit of a donnybrook.

I'd be too embarrassed to try and defend that holding on #7's kick return... but nevertheless, one team got the job done and one team didn't...

There was at least two illegal blocks on the Stoudemire return if one wants to play that game.

Haha if you think those are even remotely close than you need to start watching a little more football... Those two "illegal blocks" were border line and maybe called 50/509... the one on the Dressler was blatant, right in front of the ref, and lead directly to the TD...

And since you're obviously redirecting, I can presume that you agree it was a blatant missed call?

Said it before, Will say it once again. Honestly, don't care if they don't call holding or offsides, or Pass interference or whatever penalty you can think of, I don't care. What bothers me though is when one team is getting all those calls and one team isn't and that's happened more often then not. 

Miss the dressler holding call on the return, whatever right but then the next penalty on the next play really is.. Holding Winnipeg. That pisses me off. 

If you are going to call it on one team, call it on the other. I don't think the refs are being bias, i think they are incompetent but when you get moments like that where they miss a blatant hold on the return but then call holding on our oline the very next play really, taht pisses me off and it does make you wonder at times, if hmm, is it rigged? lol, it's obviously not but moments like that definitely make you go hmm. I remember that one, in the chat, someone said it would be hillarious if that call was holding winning and sure enough holding winnipeg.  Call it for both teams or don't call it at all. It honestly seemed for a second that the refs were trying to purposely piss off the fans at IGF and it worked, boo'd off the field, pretty sure it was booing the refs too. 

I'd be too embarrassed to try and defend that holding on #7's kick return... but nevertheless, one team got the job done and one team didn't...

There was at least two illegal blocks on the Stoudemire return if one wants to play that game.

Yeah we've seen that post from a rider fan, the was only one possible illegal block on that and it had no bearing on the return, which is likely why it wasn't called. 

Could make the argument that it wasn't called cuz stoudemire is a former rider :P 

From today's Freep

WIECEK: You've just come back from NFL camps. Is help on the way?

WALTERS: All the scouting guys will be up here Sept. 22 and practice-roster expansion starts early October. So we'll have a good week of meetings with the staff and get on the same page. But there's no quick fix and nobody is going to be riding in on a silver horse to save the day, if that's the perception out there. The guys in-house are working hard and we're close. That's what everyone needs to understand -- a couple penalties, a couple turnovers in the last few games and the outcomes would have been different.

Wiecek not realizing how incredibly asinine this question is is the main reason they should have left him at the racetrack covering the ponies.  He'd be happier.  We'd be happier.

Guaranteed the Sept 23 edition of the FP will re-visit the need to airlift in help.  SOS, this is an SOS!

In his first year as a starter Willy showed that he already has more QB skills than Durant at his prime.

Dude I love Willy but this is crazy talk. Durant was nearly perfect in the playoffs last year -- I think he went 10:1 in TDS:picks.

Sorry I should have said Willy has a better QB toolbox at his command, offencive stats. like he put up in the last game don't lie.  One for one I wouldn't trade Willy for Durant because Willy's potential is still unrealized and he's only going to get better over the next 5-10 years.  Durant has already peaked, he's got some physical tools but not the smarts to be anything other than a "meat and potatoes" QB.  

From today's Freep

WALTERS: All the scouting guys will be up here Sept. 22 and practice-roster expansion starts early October. So we'll have a good week of meetings with the staff and get on the same page. But there's no quick fix and nobody is going to be riding in on a silver horse to save the day, if that's the perception out there. The guys in-house are working hard and we're close. That's what everyone needs to understand -- a couple penalties, a couple turnovers in the last few games and the outcomes would have been different.

Wiecek not realizing how incredibly asinine this question is is the main reason they should have left him at the racetrack covering the ponies.  He'd be happier.  We'd be happier.

Guaranteed the Sept 23 edition of the FP will re-visit the need to airlift in help.  SOS, this is an SOS!

I hate that the implication is that the only thing they should be looking for are star players. I want to see better depth here because that's what killing us. When they're healthy this team is pretty solid, but as soon as guys start going down with injury it predictably gets dicey.

The three games in Saskatchewan told me the following ... the two teams are not that far apart and if you make a mistake, it will likely cost you the game.

Both teams made multiple mistakes in each and every game so what is your point exactly?  For F sakes, in the last game alone the Riders fumbled the ball twice on third and short!  Add to that a myriad of penalties on the Riders in the first game and a punt return given up for a touchdown in the LDC.

It seems that as fans we love remembering the screw-ups that our team made but so quickly and easily dismiss the other team's blunders.

I wouldn't call a punt return touchdown a "mistake", that'd be like calling a rushing touchdown allowed a mistake. The other team gets paid to play too.

What I'm talking about is fumbles. Interceptions. Plays that swing field position and momentum. You may have won all three and credit is certainly deserved for that but let's be honest for a second ... you didn't win a single game by more than one possession. Your margin of victory in each game was either 5 or 6 points.

We turned the ball over seven times in the first game, twice in the second and three times in the third. That's 12 turnovers in 3 games compared to only 3 for Saskatchewan. Your turnover ratio was +9 and you only won by a combined margin of 17 points in 3 games. You don't think turnovers were a BIG factor?

Not only that but we had over 100+ yards of penalties the last game.  That right there can cost you the game.

Kind of like the Riders in the first game at IGF on a short week?  No wait, the Riders won anyway.  Come on guys, focus on pounding the Lions.

;)

Now you can go back to riderfans and tell them how silly we are. I gather you come here to pick up some ammo?

Nope.  Bombers are in the rearview mirror.  I'm here to talk football and found myself tied up in a bit of a donnybrook.

Please don't torture yourself here! What? Are you Tag Smith 2?  

;)

Please don't torture yourself here! What? Are you Tag Smith 2?

Who?

From today's Freep

I hate that the implication is that the only thing they should be looking for are star players. I want to see better depth here because that's what killing us. When they're healthy this team is pretty solid, but as soon as guys start going down with injury it predictably gets dicey.

I'll admit, that's not the answer I wanted to hear from Walters. Yes, their working hard and they've been close, but at least tell me you're always looking for players who can make you better....even if you don't mean it, don't just close the door on it and say no.

Sorry I should have said Willy has a better QB toolbox at his command, offencive stats. like he put up in the last game don't lie. One for one I wouldn't trade Willy for Durant because Willy's potential is still unrealized and he's only going to get better over the next 5-10 years. Durant has already peaked, he's got some physical tools but not the smarts to be anything other than a "meat and potatoes" QB.

You're really underselling Durant's smarts. Look at his numbers over his career, his TD:INT ratio has gotten better each year he's been in the league, especially during the last few years. His decision-making has really improved. He's clearly not just getting by on his physical tools.

I think it's really tough to forecast player development. Willy does a ton of great stuff already, he escapes pressure, he finds the open man, but he also throws a ton of picks and he's got this weird obsession with questionable corner-route throws in the red zone. Is he ever going to clean up those parts of his game? Who can say?

I don't think I'd trade Willy for Durant straight-up either, because I'm an optimist and I think that Willy will clean up the messy parts of his game, and that we'll get more good years out of Willy than we would out of Durant. But I think Durant is a great QB in this league and should be respected as such.

I'll admit, that's not the answer I wanted to hear from Walters. Yes, their working hard and they've been close, but at least tell me you're always looking for players who can make you better....even if you don't mean it, don't just close the door on it and say no.

The Bombers (and every team) is always looking for players who can make them better.  The PR expansion typically does nothing to help a team's short term prospects.  A player coming onto the PR in October and making some kind of big impact in that same season?  There probably is an example or two, but nothing immediately comes to mind.  Over the long haul?  There have been some great players who started their careers buried on the practise roster.  Stevie Baggs was stuck behind Tom Canada and Gavin Walls for most of his Bomber career.

Occasionally an injury will give one of these guys an opportunity before the following June, but for the most part they are auditioning for 2015 training camp invites.  People familiar with the CFL understand that.  Wiecek does not.

Which is why he should probably head back to the track.  There are 100 people on this site more qualified to write about football.  Maybe more.

The Bombers (and every team) is always looking for players who can make them better.  The PR expansion typically does nothing to help a team's short term prospects.  A player coming onto the PR in October and making some kind of big impact in that same season?  There probably is an example or two, but nothing immediately comes to mind.  Over the long haul?  There have been some great players who started their careers buried on the practise roster.  Stevie Baggs was stuck behind Tom Canada and Gavin Walls for most of his Bomber career.

Occasionally an injury will give one of these guys an opportunity before the following June, but for the most part they are auditioning for 2015 training camp invites.  People familiar with the CFL understand that.  Wiecek does not.

Which is why he should probably head back to the track.  There are 100 people on this site more qualified to write about football.  Maybe more.

That is the obvious answer but I think he was asking who is going to be OUR 'Weston Dressler' signing.

That is the obvious answer but I think he was asking who is going to be OUR 'Weston Dressler' signing.

Which shows Wiecek hasn't been paying attention. Other than Dressler, there hasn't been a big name return to the CFL since being cut. 

Dressler is back in the CFL because he temporarily gave up on his NFL dream.  There are no other ex-CFLers who are yet willing to do that.  If they sign a contract here, they cannot get a job there.  Alex Hall would have been in some kind of CFL uniform 2 weeks ago if he wanted to be back in the CFL.  He'll have no problem getting a job here.  He wants a job there.

Dressler is back in the CFL because he temporarily gave up on his NFL dream.  There are no other ex-CFLers who are yet willing to do that.  If they sign a contract here, they cannot get a job there.  Alex Hall would have been in some kind of CFL uniform 2 weeks ago if he wanted to be back in the CFL.  He'll have no problem getting a job here.  He wants a job there.

Temporarily?  Both were already a long shot at 29 years old...  NFL dream is dead - Dressler should just sign a nice 3 year contract at 190k and be happy.

Starting to wonder about Hall - no room in Sask anymore, pretty much Ottawa or Winnipeg...  maybe not Winnipeg anymore with these last three signings

Temporarily?  Both were already a long shot at 29 years old...  NFL dream is dead - Dressler should just sign a nice 3 year contract at 190k and be happy.

Starting to wonder about Hall - no room in Sask anymore, pretty much Ottawa or Winnipeg...  maybe not Winnipeg anymore with these last three signings

He reportedly signed a one year deal here.  He's probably done with the NFL forever at this point, but contractually he has left the door open to try again in a few months.

He's a great receiver but he doesn't have a realistic shot of landing a job down there.

He reportedly signed a one year deal here.  He's probably done with the NFL forever at this point, but contractually he has left the door open to try again in a few months.

He's a great receiver but he doesn't have a realistic shot of landing a job down there.

That one year deal was Taman buying time so he can think of ways to hide money...  Dressler will be a roughrider til the cows come home.

That one year deal was Taman buying time so he can think of ways to hide money...  Dressler will be a roughrider til the cows come home.

Most likely.  I don't think he should play anywhere else.  I wouldn't have wanted to see Stegall in an Argos uni.

Hall won't struggle with loyalty issues if he comes back to the CFL.  He played 1-1/2 seasons here and got traded.  He'll go where the money is.  Ottawa.  If he wanted back in the CFL he would have already played in their BC game.

Which shows Wiecek hasn't been paying attention. Other than Dressler, there hasn't been a big name return to the CFL since being cut.

And you have intimate knowledge that there won't be, please share your source.

Again, you have intimate knowledge of this, please share your source, are you just relying on the same media that you hold in disdain?

When you hear one agent say that his man, Chris Matthews, will exhaust all his NFL opportunities, before he considers the CFL, most people can see the non-flow of ex-CFLers who haven't returned, and can put two and two together, and make that determination.

It's not that hard.

When you hear one agent say that his man, Chris Matthews, will exhaust all his NFL opportunities, before he considers the CFL, most people can see the non-flow of ex-CFLers who haven't returned, and can put two and two together, and make that determination.

It's not that hard.

You're talking about one player so let's close the door on the rest of them too....

It's not that hard.

You're talking about one player so let's close the door on the rest of them too....

Do you have a source on who the rest of these players are?  Cause there's Matthews (not coming north), Hall (most likely not coming north, seems to be limited interest from both CFL teams and Hall), Hunt (injured) and Damaso Munoz.