Our Seceret Sauce

BigBlue

The three games in Saskatchewan told me the following ... the two teams are not that far apart and if you make a mistake, it will likely cost you the game.

Both teams made multiple mistakes in each and every game so what is your point exactly?  For F sakes, in the last game alone the Riders fumbled the ball twice on third and short!  Add to that a myriad of penalties on the Riders in the first game and a punt return given up for a touchdown in the LDC.

It seems that as fans we love remembering the screw-ups that our team made but so quickly and easily dismiss the other team's blunders.

I wouldn't call a punt return touchdown a "mistake", that'd be like calling a rushing touchdown allowed a mistake. The other team gets paid to play too.

What I'm talking about is fumbles. Interceptions. Plays that swing field position and momentum. You may have won all three and credit is certainly deserved for that but let's be honest for a second ... you didn't win a single game by more than one possession. Your margin of victory in each game was either 5 or 6 points.

We turned the ball over seven times in the first game, twice in the second and three times in the third. That's 12 turnovers in 3 games compared to only 3 for Saskatchewan. Your turnover ratio was +9 and you only won by a combined margin of 17 points in 3 games. You don't think turnovers were a BIG factor?

Not only that but we had over 100+ yards of penalties the last game.  That right there can cost you the game.

Kind of like the Riders in the first game at IGF on a short week?  No wait, the Riders won anyway.  Come on guys, focus on pounding the Lions.

;)

Name Year Team No. Yards Avg Long TD

DENMARK, C 2014 WPG 42 646 15.4 58 1

MOORE, N 2014 WPG 32 469 14.7 51 0

KELLY, A 2014 WPG 27 401 14.9 47 3

WATSON, C 2014 WPG 11 161 14.6 47 2

BRYANT, R 2014 WPG 14 154 11 47 0

KOHLERT, R 2014 WPG 25 328 13.1 37 3

FEOLI-GUDINO, J 2014 WPG 23 200 8.7 22 2

Finally we have Grigsby; who although is not a receiver still plays a significant roll in our receiving core; as well as Pontbriand

GRIGSBY, N 2014 WPG 39 341 8.7 45 1

PONTBRIAND, M 2014 WPG 7 82 11.7 28 0

Now these numbers show that in total Moore is our second best for most yards received; but on average falls into third on average yards received.  Now still great stats and he has made plays for the team but so has every other receiver up there made meaning full plays for the team at quality moments.

Now unfortunately I am not able to find any CFL numbers that record the number of times a player has fumbled; just the number of fumble recoveries a player has.  So I am going off of memory here but the only players I remember fumbling the ball that were receivers on the Winnipeg team this year was Romby Bryant and Moore.  Romby Bryant if I recall fumbled the ball once, and most of us were all over him because he had already had poor play and he was a vet brought over from Toronto that many thought was already pass the peak of his career.  The other was Moore, who has fumbled the ball from my recollection three times in the red zone and at least once possible twice not in the red zone. 

But you are going to say yes; but he has more receptions than our other receivers sitting at 32 RECEPTIONS! Of which I'll say so what Denmark has more, and if you discount those fumbles he is pushing close to the same ammount of receptions as Aaron Kelly, Rory Kohlert and JFG. 

Than we go back and forth for a bit on who thinks they are more correct; or you can't just bring up stats its about what they do in game or about getting open; and I'll bring up that he plays a position that will more than likely get more throws thrown towards him than the positions of some of our other receivers.  In which you bring up the fact that you believe he is the best receiver on the team so thats why he plays that position and the pissing match can continue.

In any case; lets agree to disagree.  The great thing is! I am not our GM and I don't ever plan on pretending that I am one.  I know very little about the CIS nor do I know much about the NCAA.  I watch football because I enjoy it; and like to follow the teams and players as it's fun.  I would also enjoy watching CIS; NCAA and DIV games but without television this doesn't happen often as it's already hard enough to stream the CFL games and honestly I have other things to do I can only waste 3-6 hours a week watching the foot ball games during foot ball season.  Often I try to make sure I see only the Winnipeg games; and often find myself having to listen to those games on the radio (thanks Tune In on my phone and CJOB)  

So let's avoid the back and forth and agree to disagree; I personally feel that 180k for Moore deserves more production out of him and less fumbles.  He is after all the highest paid receiver on the team so expectations should be higher.

the fact that you don't even mention the fact that Moore has missed what it is? 4 of the 11 games the team has played is exactly why I treat your opinions the way I do. It's a big ******* deal AND his presence in the line up simply makes the other receivers, especially Denmark more of a threat because there is less focus on them.That alone is a big factor. I like Denmark, always have because he's a guy with good hands and a good ability to hurt opposing teams in a variety of way, but he's not suited to being the only guy on the team who can do that. Moore can open up things for him and allow him to be the supporting guy. Cory Watson is pretty solid at doing multiple things out there as well but with him missing a bunch of time as well it's hard to rely on him. Kelly is too inconsistent. He's really shown up for about 3 games, the first one against Toronto, the Hamilton game and then last game, other than that he's been very very pedestrian. I want a guy who can be a threat every game. Kohlert and JFG I like but they are what they are, they're more of the possession guys who will make some catches for you but can't be relied upon to get open consistently. It really comes down to the fact that Moore is the only one on the team who can be relied upon in the #1 slot to consistently get open and catch the ball. Yeah the fumbles are not good, but he brings enough to the team that he is a big positive regardless of that and trying to just bring up the receiving numbers is pretty pointless. Let's look at it this way, haven't we only won one game that he didn't dress for? So unless I'm forgetting games he missed we'd be 1-3 without Moore in the lineup and 5-2 with him in the lineup... Now I'm not saying that's all because of Moore but it's as relevant a stat to bring up as the total receiving yards. 

I am not sure why all the fan fair over Moore; he has made some okay catches but has fumbled the ball almost every game he played.  I would much rather have Aaron Kelly, Kohlert, Denmark, Watson, Fulio and if we had to replace someone I would have Moore in for Romby but I'd rather have neither.  Moore fumbles the ball a lot and is 180k/year whilst Romby although has speed doesn't fight for the ball on errant throws.  Yes that's the quarterbacks fault for making those throws; but we have a rookie in Drew who is playing like he's a vet which makes many forget he's a rook.  We need our receivers to fight for those balls or at least try to be in it if the ball is anywhere close.  Hell that interception this last game; even if Romby took a PI call and we got penalized because of it at least it would still be Winnipeg football.

Thank god you aren't the GM. That receiving corps has a real lack of play makers. Too many one dimensional guys. Moore despite the fumbles is a multi faceted receiver and the best guy on the team AINEC.

When he's healthy, Moore is the closest thing we have to a possession receiver.  2007 Terrence Edwards style.  The fumbles are a problem but not a surprise, he had them in BC too.  If we're building around a player for the next few years in our receiving corps, it should be this guy.

The three games in Saskatchewan told me the following ... the two teams are not that far apart and if you make a mistake, it will likely cost you the game.

Both teams made multiple mistakes in each and every game so what is your point exactly?  For F sakes, in the last game alone the Riders fumbled the ball twice on third and short!  Add to that a myriad of penalties on the Riders in the first game and a punt return given up for a touchdown in the LDC.

It seems that as fans we love remembering the screw-ups that our team made but so quickly and easily dismiss the other team's blunders.

I wouldn't call a punt return touchdown a "mistake", that'd be like calling a rushing touchdown allowed a mistake. The other team gets paid to play too.

What I'm talking about is fumbles. Interceptions. Plays that swing field position and momentum. You may have won all three and credit is certainly deserved for that but let's be honest for a second ... you didn't win a single game by more than one possession. Your margin of victory in each game was either 5 or 6 points.

We turned the ball over seven times in the first game, twice in the second and three times in the third. That's 12 turnovers in 3 games compared to only 3 for Saskatchewan. Your turnover ratio was +9 and you only won by a combined margin of 17 points in 3 games. You don't think turnovers were a BIG factor?

Not only that but we had over 100+ yards of penalties the last game.  That right there can cost you the game.

Kind of like the Riders in the first game at IGF on a short week?  No wait, the Riders won anyway.  Come on guys, focus on pounding the Lions.

;)

Umm...we just view the game, we don't actually get to play.

I am not sure why all the fan fair over Moore; he has made some okay catches but has fumbled the ball almost every game he played.  I would much rather have Aaron Kelly, Kohlert, Denmark, Watson, Fulio and if we had to replace someone I would have Moore in for Romby but I'd rather have neither.  Moore fumbles the ball a lot and is 180k/year whilst Romby although has speed doesn't fight for the ball on errant throws.  Yes that's the quarterbacks fault for making those throws; but we have a rookie in Drew who is playing like he's a vet which makes many forget he's a rook.  We need our receivers to fight for those balls or at least try to be in it if the ball is anywhere close.  Hell that interception this last game; even if Romby took a PI call and we got penalized because of it at least it would still be Winnipeg football.

Thank god you aren't the GM. That receiving corps has a real lack of play makers. Too many one dimensional guys. Moore despite the fumbles is a multi faceted receiver and the best guy on the team AINEC.

When he's healthy, Moore is the closest thing we have to a possession receiver.  2007 Terrence Edwards style.  The fumbles are a problem but not a surprise, he had them in BC too.  If we're building around a player for the next few years in our receiving corps, it should be this guy.

Moore is an excellent receiver.  Hopefully he gets healthy for the long haul.

;)

Exactly!

Here's what I would worry about if I was stupid enought to be a Sask. fan hanging out on a Bomber message board.  In his first year as a starter Willy showed that he already has more QB skills than Durant at his prime.  The next time Willy puts up 350 yds. passing vs. 137 yds. for Durant, the cow farmers won't be going home with a "W".  You can take that home to your cross-eyed cousins and nail it up on the barn door.

;)

Exactly!

Typical Saskatchewanite...making no sense.

FYI I said it CAN make you lose the game, I didn't say it was the only reason.

Stop making it sound like the Riders are way better then the Bombers.  They only won by less then a TD all three games.  Oh and hey, congratulate your player for dodging that missed holding call when "what's his name" ran the punt return back for a TD.

Here's what I would worry about if I was stupid enought to be a Sask. fan hanging out on a Bomber message board.  In his first year as a starter Willy showed that he already has more QB skills than Durant at his prime.  The next time Willy puts up 350 yds. passing vs. 137 yds. for Durant, the cow farmers won't be going home with a "W".  You can take that home to your cross-eyed cousins and put it up on the barn door.

Late game interceptions?  Glamour stats for Willy, he loses all three games, and he's still better?

Wow, you guys are something else.  What, I'm not sure.

;)

Exactly!

Typical Saskatchewanite...making no sense.

FYI I said it CAN make you lose the game, I didn't say it was the only reason.

Stop making it sound like the Riders are way better then the Bombers.  They only won by less then a TD all three games.  Oh and hey, congratulate your player for dodging that missed holding call when "what's his name" ran the punt return back for a TD.

Missed calls both ways.  Convenient that a Bomber fan only talks about calls that go against his/her team.  

Missed calls both ways.  Convenient that a Bomber fan only talks about calls that go against his/her team.  

Welcome to fan bias. It's the same type of crazy behavior that makes someone suggest Tino Sunseri is equal to Drew Willy.

That's not what I said.  Read it again really slowly.

Welcome to fan bias. It's the same type of crazy behavior that makes someone suggest Tino Sunseri is equal to Drew Willy.

Oh sure it is. You are basically implying that you think Sunseri was as good as Willy before WIlly got to prove what he could do. The difference is? You're just speculating on Sunseri and we know what Willy can do now. You can try and argue sublantics all you want but basically it all boils down to "Sunseri is as good as Willy" I've seen other Rider fans make those claims too, some even went so far as to say he was better. 

Here's what you said recently on the the Riders forumn.

"I am sure we could care less what some Joe Sixpack Bomber fan thinks."

"Pretty lame to come on a Rider board and post this crap."

Being green or being a hypocrite.....hard to decide which is worse.

Being green...it's always being green.

Why bring that up over here? Do you want me to start dragging up what some of the members here post there? It works both ways but unlike you I am not petty enough to take it personal.

You can always wish to be green Mork.

;)

You can always wish to be green Mork.

;)

Why would I wish to be then a hypocrite?

;)

Now you can go back to riderfans and tell them how silly we are. I gather you come here to pick up some ammo?

From today's Freep

WIECEK: You've just come back from NFL camps. Is help on the way?

WALTERS: All the scouting guys will be up here Sept. 22 and practice-roster expansion starts early October. So we'll have a good week of meetings with the staff and get on the same page. But there's no quick fix and nobody is going to be riding in on a silver horse to save the day, if that's the perception out there. The guys in-house are working hard and we're close. That's what everyone needs to understand -- a couple penalties, a couple turnovers in the last few games and the outcomes would have been different.

I'd be too embarrassed to try and defend that holding on #7's kick return... but nevertheless, one team got the job done and one team didn't...

There was at least two illegal blocks on the Stoudemire return if one wants to play that game.