Cohon not seeking 3rd term as commish

gbill2004

He's definitely done a lot of good for this league.  That said, the question should be asked whether its from him or just a natural progression.  A big TV contract, for example, is great.  Was it because of Cohon or simply because football has continued to grow in popularity over the past decade?  More likely the latter.  He still deserves credit for helping grow the game but I'm somewhat interested to see what a new person can do.  The biggest failures for Cohon have been finding ownership groups and fixing the officiating.

An open letter to CFL fans from Commissioner Cohon

Dear CFL Fans

Today I informed our Board of Governors that I will not seek a third term as Commissioner of the Canadian Football League.

This is a very personal decision. I knew in my gut when I came here that the CFL was the right place for me and I have never regretted that decision. Today, those same instincts are telling me it is time to move on to tackle new challenges and opportunities.

I won’t be going anywhere for a while. I have indicated my willingness to complete my current term as Commissioner. It doesn’t expire until April 2015 but I wanted to give our Governors ample time to find the right person for this important position. Their search will begin immediately. And I will continue to work as Commissioner for the rest of this season and for months to come.

Still, I can’t help but reflect. It’s incredible how quickly time flies. This is my eighth season as Commissioner, and I have loved every minute of working on behalf of our iconic franchises, with our elite and unselfish athletes, and for you, our wonderful fans.

Thank you so much.

Our league has come a long way over these years. You have made every advance possible.

• When we debuted the REDBLACKS this season, you packed the place.

• When we celebrated the 100th Grey Cup, you came to every event, and when we took our historic trophy from coast to coast to coast by plane, train and automobile, you were on board, often literally.

• When we visited Atlantic Canada, you came with us, or were already there for us.

• When we declared This is Our League, you cheered.

• When we sat down to negotiate a transformative deal with TSN and RDS, you armed us with great ratings.

• When we said we needed new stadiums, you showed your support to help make them happen.

• When we launched the Fan State of the League, you filled the room with energy, emotion and tough questions.

• When we launched the SunLife Grey Cup Fan March, you filled the streets with fun and emotion and, as I knew would happen, not one of you dropped the Grey Cup, and all of you cherished the moment.

• When I asked for your rule changes, you had the most innovative ones.

• When I asked for your input, you took the time to write or call or email or tweet, and each and every time, your passion for our league shone through.

• And when I wandered into the stands, into a Sea of Green or Box J or any one of the special places that has made this league what it is, you welcomed me and my family with open arms, good humour, and the occasional priceless one-liner.

Commissioners come and go. So do coaches and quarterbacks. Our league and game are much bigger than any one person. The CFL will continue to grow and succeed in the future because of you, our fans.

Still, I hope the CFL is better for the time I have spent here. I know I am and always will be.

Thank you for everything.

Mark

Mixed feelings. I'm tempted to say good based on what's happened to the game in terms of officiating, and David Braley. That being said the league is rolling in more cash than it ever has, which is never a bad thing.

I feel the same way. However, I'll take it a little bit further. Mark Cohon's a smiling figure head. Cohon has no power unlike Roger Goodell. It'll be the same with whoever takes his place. The guy that runs this league is David Braley. What Braley says, goes. Cohon & every Commissioner before him has been his puppet. There's a reason why CFL Commisioners seem to come & go with regularity. The sooner he sells his 2 teams & leaves, the better off the CFL will be.

Michael Lysko basically told Braley, Wettenhall & Asper to go shove it over playing games the following weekend after 9/11. He didn't think playing the games was the right thing to do while those 3 thought it was. Glad Lysko won out but Braley made sure he was gone as soon as he possibly could. Controlling 2 teams gives him unprecedented power over the BOGs & the Office of the Commissioner.