Hutterites

SPuDS

My random thoughts....

What's the deal with weeds....   why can they grow to be massive in my yard without being watered yet the areas of my grass where I do water struggles to grow.  Why can't grass grow crazy big with ease while Weeds struggle?

It's the root system.  Weeds have roots that are thicker and more importantly grow deeper.  People who water their lawns frequently create poor root systems for their grass.  Less frequent waterings encourages the roots to grow deeper in search of moisture, and in times of low precipitation these lawns will be more durable than lawns that are overwatered.  Over time a healthy lawn should overtake the weeds.  So they say.

In theory... Hell, in theory communism works lol

My random thoughts....

What's the deal with weeds....   why can they grow to be massive in my yard without being watered yet the areas of my grass where I do water struggles to grow.  Why can't grass grow crazy big with ease while Weeds struggle?

It's the root system.  Weeds have roots that are thicker and more importantly grow deeper.  People who water their lawns frequently create poor root systems for their grass.  Less frequent waterings encourages the roots to grow deeper in search of moisture, and in times of low precipitation these lawns will be more durable than lawns that are overwatered.  Over time a healthy lawn should overtake the weeds.  So they say.

Communism definitely works- check out any Hutterite colony. What you see in Russia and China is not and never was Communism, it was Marxism and even so wasn't what Marx had envisioned.

My random thoughts....

Communism definitely works- check out any Hutterite colony. What you see in Russia and China is not and never was Communism, it was Marxism and even so wasn't what Marx had envisioned.

My mother-in-law came off a Hutterite colony (wrote a book about it) .... the "boss" and the minister are tyrants, power abusers and very controlling .... if born on a colony ... it is very difficult to leave its sheltered way of life ... few make it when they try

My mother-in-law came off a Hutterite colony (wrote a book about it) .... the "boss" and the minister are tyrants, power abusers and very controlling .... if born on a colony ... it is very difficult to leave its sheltered way of life ... few make it when they try

I feel for your in-laws and wouldn't wish their "alleged" experiences on anyone...

But I will call bull**** on the idea of perpetuating stereotypes that misrepresent the experiences of 99% of Hutterites. Ask the Hutterites on this site.

1 or 2 examples do not define a Peoples.

I feel for your in-laws and wouldn't wish their "alleged" experiences on anyone...

But I will call bull**** on the idea of perpetuating stereotypes that misrepresent the experiences of 99% of Hutterites. Ask the Hutterites on this site.

1 or 2 examples do not define a Peoples.

I know over a hundred different people who came off half a dozen different colonies .... lived and worked with many ....some colonies are better than others but the control abuse is a very common thread

Communism definitely works- check out any Hutterite colony.

All the Hutterites I know are ones who went over the wall and escaped. I don't know what your definition of "works" is but I don't think a Hutterite colony is a good example.

In any example of a system where most of the power rests in the hands of one person and is largely unchecked, the success or failure of that system depends entirely on the personality and moral leanings of that person.

There are good colonies and bad ones.  Good countries and bad ones.

Colonies have their roots based on religious practises that are considered outdated in modern cultures, so at the very least they appear incredibly sexist to outside eyes as all the power appears to rest with the men.  Anyone who's married could tell you that an appearance like that can sometimes be deceiving.

Keep in mind that some people hate being in a system like that not because there's one person in charge, but because they are not that one person who is in charge.

All the power does not rest with one person. We have a president but are largely autonomous in our various jobs and responsibilities. I feel for anyone who has had a bad experience, but bad experiences happen in any walk of life. As for the idea that it's hard to leave, many of us are well educated and trained, we could leave in a heartbeat if we wanted to.

I've been quite open about the fact that I'm a Hutterite. I'm a certified teacher, I've travelled to various places on the globe, I teach using more advanced technology than most of my non-Hutterite colleagues, I'm the collective bargaining chair for my local teachers' association, and for good measure I help out with moderating MBB, attend a few Bomber games every year, and watch the rest on our community TV.

If y'all want to believe I'm behind some kind of fence that I need to escape from - I suppose you're free to do that.

All the power does not rest with one person. We have a president but are largely autonomous in our various jobs and responsibilities. I feel for anyone who has had a bad experience, but bad experiences happen in any walk of life. As for the idea that it's hard to leave, many of us are well educated and trained, we could leave in a heartbeat if we wanted to.

My impressions, and that's all they are, and I do not wish to represent them as anything other than that, is that those who have had bad experiences have largely experienced them as a result of those at the top overreaching with their authority.  And while these examples exist, I'm not intending to imply that it's some kind of 50-50 split between the good and bad.  I have no ego invested in this opinion and will gladly defer to knowledge over opinion.

Friends of my wife's family still live on the colony.  Most of their children have left.  There is no awkwardness or animosity within the family now, but there were issues early on that had to be worked thru.  With the parents and the colony there are still some tensions because of this.  That's life I suppose.

As an educator, does it bother you when people write "thru"?

Can we turn this into a Hutterite Q&A thread?

I'm from a smaller mennonite town and have had plenty of interactions with different colonies through the years, but never in a position to just pester them about their lifestyle. And I am pretty sure a LOT of what I've learned through the years is either BS or exaggerrated. The same way a lot of what other people think of Mennonites is.

For example, I had no idea there was a TV. I assumed that TV was frowned upon, and only watched "in private".

Can we turn this into a Hutterite Q&A thread?

I'm from a smaller mennonite town and have had plenty of interactions with different colonies through the years, but never in a position to just pester them about their lifestyle. And I am pretty sure a LOT of what I've learned through the years is either BS or exaggerrated. The same way a lot of what other people think of Mennonites is.

For example, I had no idea there was a TV. I assumed that TV was frowned upon, and only watched "in private".

Some communities have a communal Television / Satellite Dish, but many don't. However, streaming sports over the internet is very common. The reality is most people are watching TV in one form or another.