Hutterites

SPuDS

All the power does not rest with one person. We have a president but are largely autonomous in our various jobs and responsibilities. I feel for anyone who has had a bad experience, but bad experiences happen in any walk of life. As for the idea that it's hard to leave, many of us are well educated and trained, we could leave in a heartbeat if we wanted to.

My impressions, and that's all they are, and I do not wish to represent them as anything other than that, is that those who have had bad experiences have largely experienced them as a result of those at the top overreaching with their authority.  And while these examples exist, I'm not intending to imply that it's some kind of 50-50 split between the good and bad.  I have no ego invested in this opinion and will gladly defer to knowledge over opinion.

Friends of my wife's family still live on the colony.  Most of their children have left.  There is no awkwardness or animosity within the family now, but there were issues early on that had to be worked thru.  With the parents and the colony there are still some tensions because of this.  That's life I suppose.

As an educator, does it bother you when people write "thru"?

There can be issues with our way of life, if it isn't done properly.

But the average Hutterite lives a better than middle class lifestyle.  Can you find a population anywhere else in the world where no one lives in poverty?  Where menial labour is shared so no one has do it 24 / 7?  Where no one has to go to a personal care home because they are looked after at home?

And...no.

My random thoughts....

What's the deal with weeds....   why can they grow to be massive in my yard without being watered yet the areas of my grass where I do water struggles to grow.  Why can't grass grow crazy big with ease while Weeds struggle?

It's the root system.  Weeds have roots that are thicker and more importantly grow deeper.  People who water their lawns frequently create poor root systems for their grass.  Less frequent waterings encourages the roots to grow deeper in search of moisture, and in times of low precipitation these lawns will be more durable than lawns that are overwatered.  Over time a healthy lawn should overtake the weeds.  So they say.

In theory... Hell, in theory communism works lol

Communism definitely works- check out any Hutterite colony. What you see in Russia and China is not and never was Communism, it was Marxism and even so wasn't what Marx had envisioned.

My mother-in-law came off a Hutterite colony (wrote a book about it) .... the "boss" and the minister are tyrants, power abusers and very controlling .... if born on a colony ... it is very difficult to leave its sheltered way of life ... few make it when they try

Is that the "I am Hutterite" book or the other one? (second title escapes me)  There aren't that many of these books around, so your mother in law has to be one of two people.  

Both books describe things that I as a Hutterite am certainly not proud of. But they only tell one side of the story.  Perhaps you should read some of the reviews...

I certainly won't claim to be an expert on Hutterite colonies, but I do believe whether you live in a democracy, communism, capitalism, or whatever, there is good and bad in all walks of life.  But that, unfortunately, tends to be human nature.

You could easily pick out atrocities and horrible things that have been done in all of those societies.  It really comes down to people, you will get both the good and the bad everywhere.

Somebody has to ask this question & since this is now a hutterite q & a; Where did the stories about colonies bringing in "new blood" for impregnating women come from? I've always assumed this was an urban legend like the Richard Gere-gerbel thing, where it's been told enough that people assume it's true.

Straight up, there is no doubt that we have been and still are challenged with smaller gene pool. However, things are improving due to adoption and some new people joining.  

I don't even know the answer to your question.  I've only heard it as an urban legend, same as you.  Most likely it came from assumptions that people made.

My father owned & operated an auto body shop on Marion Street beside the Norwood Hotel from 1946-1982 when he retired & closed shop. the Norwood expanded & the shop  was torn down so it's  not there anymore. He did a lot of work for a couple of Hutterite colonies east of Winnipeg. The Hutterite men would bring in their dump trucks & pickups & pay for some  pretty fancy paint jobs with  racing  stripes. Pretty funny putting racing stripes on a dump  truck but they did a lot of business with my  dad.

Between the various CFL message boards and FB, I like to think I've gotten to know Mark H a little bit over the past while. He's clearly very educated, intelligent, and EXTREMELY funny....this is my basis for what the Hutterite people of Manitoba are like, along with the extremely hard working and selfless folks who helped us sandbag in 1997.

Thanks for being a good example, Mark....even if you did leave Corb stranded by the side of the road. #MightyNeighbourly

Between the various CFL message boards and FB, I like to think I've gotten to know Mark H a little bit over the past while. He's clearly very educated, intelligent, and EXTREMELY funny....this is my basis for what the Hutterite people of Manitoba are like, along with the extremely hard working and selfless folks who helped us sandbag in 1997.

Thanks for being a good example, Mark....even if you did leave Corb stranded by the side of the road. #MightyNeighbourly

Thank you good sir, that's very kind of you.

Appreciate the way you always rep country music...even if some of it does truly suck. #almostpop

Netley eh?

I've had some contact with netley colony. (got some cabinets)

my experience, friendly smart people. some very funny guys.  Some guys that love ice fishing. Nice place.

I will say I was not surprised at all, since stereotypes

are always based in ignorance.

If only everyone in this world practiced non violence as they do……

we'd all be a lot better off.

Netley eh?

I've had some contact with netley colony. (got some cabinets)

my experience, friendly smart people. some very funny guys.  Some guys that love ice fishing. Nice place.

I will say I was not surprised at all, since stereotypes

are always based in ignorance.

If only everyone in this world practiced non violence as they do……

we'd all be a lot better off.

Cabinets and ice fishing are kind of a big deal around here.

• 1 month later...

This thread has fail written all over it. What minority group is getting over the top stereotyped next? Crazy stuff guys.

Did you read the whole thread?  If so, stop trolling.

Much more succinct than my unposted response.  Rambled about sandbagging, donating blood, making quilts, all sorts of things.