Is Kent Austin the most "hated" coach in the league?

IC Khari

Well  TBurgess, we've been through enough turmoil as fans the past few years to last us a lifetime so now it's somebody else's turn. I really have no sympathy for other teams' travails as they had no sympathy for us. We were the league doormats & every other team & fanbase loved to step all over us. Now we can step on them. 

I don't have any sympathy for other teams or their fans but it's bad form to take shots at them IMO.  Stay classy my friend... stay classy. 

I don't have sympathy for them.  When these threads about other teams are started up, it's more out of interesting speculations to think about what they might do.  That's rather the beauty of a 9 team only league.

I know people may say the guy has a temper, and maybe he doesn't handle losing the best.  But at least he cares about losing and makes that known unlike old Tim Burke who seemed to let losing just fly, and even Lapo to some extent.

I mean don't get me wrong, coaches who act like Mike Kelly are not good either, and I don't listen in on the Hamilton local media coaches shows or anything, but I think it's a little crazy to say Austin is right on par with that guy.  Passionate?  Maybe too much and a little unable to handle losing the right way?  Could be.  But have his players stopped playing for him?  I don't think so.  Their resolve to make a comeback against us being down 20-3 and be one last second play away from winning shows they weren't about to give up.  And like I said, they only got blown out one time.  They've been in their games, just haven't had the breaks go their way.  That could very well change soon.

Austin's problem is that he's a rookie Football Ops/GM/Coach...  Nine other coaches and no Quarterbacks coach - it is eerily reminiscent of the Mike Kelly regime here.

And, um,... 'Asst Special Teams Coach/US Scout'...  wtf

Not enough coaches for the type of team they are fielding.  Basic.

Hamilton can get back to winning ways, but it will be because of their talent…not because of their love for Austin.

His act is getting old.

To preach 'to work for your teammate' and then the players see him rip that same teammate...can't be good for team unity.

Yes, they've lost games that they could have won. But that's the point. They had their chances, and didn't do it.

Despite Austin, despite lots of talent, it will come down to QBing as it always does in the CFL.

Can LeFevour carry this team against good opponents? Masoli? 

I don't know if I give them even a 50-50 chance of that. 

Well  TBurgess, we've been through enough turmoil as fans the past few years to last us a lifetime so now it's somebody else's turn. I really have no sympathy for other teams' travails as they had no sympathy for us. We were the league doormats & every other team & fanbase loved to step all over us. Now we can step on them. 

I don't have any sympathy for other teams or their fans but it's bad form to take shots at them IMO.  Stay classy my friend... stay classy. 

Oh, I want go any other team fan forums & gloat but I certainly can enjoy their suffering & sorrow for a change.j

Austin's problem is that he's a rookie Football Ops/GM/Coach...  Nine other coaches and no Quarterbacks coach - it is eerily reminiscent of the Mike Kelly regime here.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? 

Austin cut Burris for a newbie qb in collaros. He deserves what he got. Kinda like Edmonton trading ray for jyles?

I bet if Burris is playing in Hamilton there record is a lot better. Ottawa is having a rough time, but their oline is weak and their team looks weak overall.

That being said i much rather Be In Ottawa then in Montreal. All that circus needs is for mike Kelly to ride in and finish the show.

Hamilton can get back to winning ways, but it will be because of their talent…not because of their love for Austin.

His act is getting old.

To preach 'to work for your teammate' and then the players see him rip that same teammate...can't be good for team unity.

Yes, they've lost games that they could have won. But that's the point. They had their chances, and didn't do it.

Despite Austin, despite lots of talent, it will come down to QBing as it always does in the CFL.

Can LeFevour carry this team against good opponents? Masoli? 

I don't know if I give them even a 50-50 chance of that. 

The only  other coach I remember being remotely like Austin was Vic Rapp in BC in the late 70's. His temper was legendary. If a player made a mistake, the last place he wanted to be was on the BC Lions sidelines because he'd hear about it with Rapp screaming at him. His act grew tired after a few seasons & he was let go. Initially, he had success but his yelling & screaming turned his players off. I remember one game where he felt the Eskimos tried to run the score up on the Lions & he wanted to fight Hugh Campbell on the field when they shook hands. Interestingly, Rapp had been an assistant coach in Edmonton before taking the HC job in BC. But under Ray Jauch & not Campbell.

I think Larry Kurharich was a big screamer as well.

I think Larry Kurharich was a big screamer as well.

Yeah, forgot about him.I heard stories about Kuharich being a real **** from news media who covered the team back then as well as the players he coached. He lit out of Calgary in 1990 to go to BC as their new head coach. Story goes tha he went to the Stamps offices in the middle of the night & cleaned out their scouting & personnel records. He stole info that didn't belong to him as it was Stampeders property & not his. And he gave the finger to Stamps fans at McMahon when they lost their home playoff semi final to the Riders in 1989. He was a class act.

Many different styles of coaching; the angry screamer is my least favourite.  Do his players hate him?  Maybe some do, but if they've played football all their lives this is probably not the first angry screamer they've encountered.  A lot of it just goes like the water off a duck's back.  Is he behaving this way 24/7 or just during the 3 hours of game time?  Lots of coaches are quick to put an arm over a players shoulder and talk to them in a human manner once the game is over, but don't feel they have time to do it on the sidelines.

OShea has had no real adversity to deal with during games, nothing above what might be expected in a typical highly-contested football game.  Will he still sport that wry smile at a terrible 15 yard roughing penalty if his team puts up a half-dozen stinkers in a row?  Or will he tear a strip off a ref?  We haven't had an opportunity to find out yet.

If it doesn't involve a Bomber game I hate yelling.  It's a necessity at times because players are far away from the bench, but I can't recall ever yelling at a player while he was on the bench.  And while I've yelled at a ref or two before, I've always preferred to call them over and talk.  Nothing good comes from showing a ref up.  Unless you are putting on a play I don't have much use for adults behaving like children.

Is Austin the most hated coach in the league?  He's certainly putting on a clinic for the most childishly behaved.  Chris Jones might want to throw his hat in the ring.  He's coming across as a bit of an ass.

Many different styles of coaching; the angry screamer is my least favourite.  Do his players hate him?  Maybe some do, but if they've played football all their lives this is probably not the first angry screamer they've encountered.  A lot of it just goes like the water off a duck's back.  Is he behaving this way 24/7 or just during the 3 hours of game time?  Lots of coaches are quick to put an arm over a players shoulder and talk to them in a human manner once the game is over, but don't feel they have time to do it on the sidelines.

OShea has had no real adversity to deal with during games, nothing above what might be expected in a typical highly-contested football game.  Will he still sport that wry smile at a terrible 15 yard roughing penalty if his team puts up a half-dozen stinkers in a row?  Or will he tear a strip off a ref?  We haven't had an opportunity to find out yet.

If it doesn't involve a Bomber game I hate yelling.  It's a necessity at times because players are far away from the bench, but I can't recall ever yelling at a player while he was on the bench.  And while I've yelled at a ref or two before, I've always preferred to call them over and talk.  Nothing good comes from showing a ref up.  Unless you are putting on a play I don't have much use for adults behaving like children.

Is Austin the most hated coach in the league?  He's certainly putting on a clinic for the most childishly behaved.  Chris Jones might want to throw his hat in the ring.  He's coming across as a bit of an ass.

I've been curious about this too.   What happens when the team goes on an extended losing streak.  We won't really know the answer to this until it happens, but everything I've seen of him in his interviews and what he says, I think he will handle it fine.   If it ever spills into a 3 - 15 type of year, then that would be the real litmus test.   Historically speaking, good coaches (Buono, Huf, etc) rarely have those really bad losing seasons.   Not that I think O'Shea can be put in the same sentence as those coaches yet, just a comparison for the argument.

He has been preaching to keep an even keel throughout all of this.   After every game, we are 1 - 0 and now we prepare for next weeks game.  The benefit of having this winning streak early, is he can continue to preach this once a losing streak comes.  We lost a game, we are 0 - 1, and now we prepare for next week.   Saying this during the winning times gives credibility when they say the same thing during the losing times.

He was a player in Toronto under Pinball coaching, and while I think he is his own coach, and will always have his own style and his own stamp on the team, the things he says and does to unite the team, elevate the team above individual players, and actually have his players believe and buy into the whole team rather then individuals reminds me an awful lot of what Pinball did in Toronto.    

He gets his players to believe, to play for each other, and when the chips are down, that type of leadership pays dividends.

I'd vote for Chris Jones.

After reading a write-up about Mr. Jones in the Edmonton Journal today on his thoughts of pre-game coach banter and post game head coach handshakes, I think a few more might agree with you.

He has no use for them, think they are empty gestures and could care less what other people think about him. Charming. Out of the five games the Eskimos have played this year, he's shaken hands with one coach after the game. Reason. Micheal O'Shea ran over to him directly to congratulate him and there was nothing he could do. Jones believes coaches do this becuase they think they have to. Maybe some. But I think others, like O'Shea, do it out of respect and being a leader, whether they win or lose.  

After reading a write-up about Mr. Jones in the Edmonton Journal today on his thoughts of pre-game coach banter and post game head coach handshakes, I think a few more might agree with you.

He has no use for them, think they are empty gestures and could care less what other people think about him. Charming. Out of the five games the Eskimos have played this year, he's shaken hands with one coach after the game. Reason. Micheal O'Shea ran over to him directly to congratulate him and there was nothing he could do. Jones believes coaches do this becuase they think they have to. Maybe some. But I think others, like O'Shea, do it out of respect and being a leader, whether they win or lose.  

Doesn't surprise me. Jones was a **** when he left the Stamps so why not be a **** as a head coach? Good sportsmanship seems to be below him. Notice these types of coaches never last? Think they can do it all themselves & have huge egos? They spell the word team, "ME". That description seems to fit Jones to a tee. Remains to be seen just how much long term success he'll have.

People need to reflect back to when Austin was a player in a winnipeg. Constantly pointing his finger and blaming his teammates. The cat hasn't changed his stripes or his demeanour. Austin didn't lose his starting QB he was so smart he let Burris go. Buris' challenge in Ottawa isn't his O line, it is dropped balls by receivers. The toss up will be between Jines and Austin for biggest turd. The one with the poorer record will be the biggest deuce .

So Jones thinks the time honoured tradition of hand shakes displays empty gestures and not displays of sportsmanship?

He prefers waving across the field to opposing Coaches.

If that's the way he looks at it, I guess he is what he projects - the epitome of empty gestures.

But he really shouldn't be surprised if the waves he gets back, are mysteriously missing a few fingers.

So Jones thinks the time honoured tradition of hand shakes displays empty gestures and not displays of sportsmanship?

He prefers waving across the field to opposing Coaches.

If that's the way he looks at it, I guess he is what he projects - the epitome of empty gestures.

But he really shouldn't be surprised if the waves he gets back, are mysteriously missing a few fingers.

It's all about a huge ego & Jones is all that. He won't shake hands because he thinks he is better than anyone else. It's beneath him to mingle with the commoners. Simple as that. He has Joe Mack Syndrome.

Austin is a perfectionist. He expects everything to be that way.  If it works in practice then it must work in a game & he has a hard time dealing with it when it doesn't happen. Doesn't make him a ******. Just a guy who is very difficult to play for when things go wrong. Jones is just an idiot. I don't mind Austin but he needs to find a way to put a check on his temper & maybe even his expectations with 3 young & inexperienced qbs playing for him. I think it'd be funny if things don't work out for Jones watching his ship sink.

We should all be kneeling down and kissing Austin's ring.  If he hadn't decided to take a huge risk and let Burris go, Collaros would have taken our offer, Glenn would have stayed in Ottawa and Willy would most likely have ended up in BC.  (No I don't think we'd have been able to get both Collaros and Willy)

I don't remember folks taking shots a Austin last year when Hammy was winning and we were losing.  Most fans, including me, would have loved to have him in Winnipeg instead of Burke.  We'd have loved the passion he shows because we were passionless.  Now that we are finally winning, some of our fans are saying the only way to be a good HC is to be like O'Shea.

I prefer cool calm and collected, but don't hate Austin or Jones for that matter.