Is Kent Austin the most "hated" coach in the league?

IC Khari

We should all be kneeling down and kissing Austin's ring.  If he hadn't decided to take a huge risk and let Burris go, Collaros would have taken our offer, Glenn would have stayed in Ottawa and Willy would most likely have ended up in BC.  (No I don't think we'd have been able to get both Collaros and Willy)

I don't remember folks taking shots a Austin last year when Hammy was winning and we were losing.  Most fans, including me, would have loved to have him in Winnipeg instead of Burke.  We'd have loved the passion he shows because we were passionless.  Now that we are finally winning, some of our fans are saying the only way to be a good HC is to be like O'Shea.

I prefer cool calm and collected, but don't hate Austin or Jones for that matter.

Oh come on.  If Austin was acting like that as our coach, at 1-4 on the season, you would be absolutely crucifying him.  And you know it.

We should all be kneeling down and kissing Austin's ring.  If he hadn't decided to take a huge risk and let Burris go, Collaros would have taken our offer, Glenn would have stayed in Ottawa and Willy would most likely have ended up in BC.  (No I don't think we'd have been able to get both Collaros and Willy)

Why would Willy choose BC over Winnipeg? In the offseason everyone assumed Lulay would be ready to play and he's still young enough Willy would have seen BC as an unlikely place to get starting reps. 

Why would Willy choose BC over Winnipeg? In the offseason everyone assumed Lulay would be ready to play and he's still young enough Willy would have seen BC as an unlikely place to get starting reps. 

I don't follow that either.  BC?  That's sketchy dot-connecting that can only be accomplished in hindsight.  BC wasn't making any noise about picking up a QB back in early February.

No guarantee we'd get him, but outside of Montreal we still would have been the best place for him to earn a starters job, even if we had picked up Collaros.

I'd vote for Chris Jones.

After reading a write-up about Mr. Jones in the Edmonton Journal today on his thoughts of pre-game coach banter and post game head coach handshakes, I think a few more might agree with you.

He has no use for them, think they are empty gestures and could care less what other people think about him. Charming. Out of the five games the Eskimos have played this year, he's shaken hands with one coach after the game. Reason. Micheal O'Shea ran over to him directly to congratulate him and there was nothing he could do. Jones believes coaches do this becuase they think they have to. Maybe some. But I think others, like O'Shea, do it out of respect and being a leader, whether they win or lose.  

So Jones thinks the time honoured tradition of hand shakes displays empty gestures and not displays of sportsmanship?

He prefers waving across the field to opposing Coaches.

If that's the way he looks at it, I guess he is what he projects - the epitome of empty gestures.

But he really shouldn't be surprised if the waves he gets back, are mysteriously missing a few fingers.

So much of Jones reminds me of Mike Kelly.  Kelly was generally friendlier and Jones so far wins more, but they way they think they are above the game and disparaging to those who don't buy in to their obvious genius.  Jones is giving me that vibe all over again, that it's okay to treat people like crap as long as you win.

http://ht.ly/A1Bvf

Per Penton from a CFL "insider":

“(Kent) Austin’s act is getting old. It’s embarrassing. Bitching at his players, screaming at the officials every series. Same crap in league meetings. Rolling his eyes, pissed off when we don’t do things his way. I didn’t say anything but I probably wasn’t the only person in the room thinking hope this guy leaves the CFL again."

It was already known that Lulay wouldn't be ready to start the season. Willy would have had a choice of signing with Wpg after we just signed Collaros and compete for the starting job or sign with BC and get some guaranteed starts at the beginning of the season.  I don't think his first choice would have been Winnipeg in that case.  I also don't think we'd have paid him as much as we did if we already had Collaros, which would further reduce our chances of getting him.  

Fwiw, there was some buzz in the winter that Willy might follow Khari to BC because they were very close and DW liked the kind of offense KJ ran. Who knows how much truth there was to that, but generally, when there's smoke there's fire...

Fwiw, there was some buzz in the winter that Willy might follow Khari to BC because they were very close and DW liked the kind of offense KJ ran. Who knows how much truth there was to that, but generally, when there's smoke there's fire...

There was smoke about Collaros and Burris to Winnipeg too, bottom line it comes down to who pays the most with FAs. 

It's not ONLY who pays the most.  

Our biggest advantage was the open starting QB spot.  That would be gone if we'd already signed the top FA in the offseason, Collaros.  (Willy's turned out to be the best signing, but it's revisionist history to suggest he was thought of as the best FA in the offseason)

I doubt we make the trade to get him before FA season if we'd already signed Collaros, so that advantage would be gone too.

Willy would have probably had a choice among Mtl, BC, and Wpg.  Mtl had a better O line (It's the offseason) and a fairly stable team that looks like it will be a contender in the East.  BC has a stable team, is known as a QB factory, and looks like it will be a contender in the West.  Wpg has 'blown the whole thing up' every year or two, is known as a QB graveyard, isn't thought of as a contender and just signed Collaros.  

I know we're talking hypothetically and there's no one right answer, but I think there's a very strong case to be made that Willy wouldn't sign in Winnipeg if Austin didn't take the huge risk of letting Burris go and signing Collaros.  In fact, I don't think we'd have gotten Willy if we'd signed Burris too.

The Bombers though have said they valued Willy higher in the offseason though, I see no reason not to believe them. That's the one aspect you are not taking into account here. It's also why they likely didn't go all in on Collaros initially. But you've of course made up your mind, no amount of logic will change it. 

The Bombers though have said they valued Willy higher in the offseason though, I see no reason not to believe them. That's the one aspect you are not taking into account here. It's also why they likely didn't go all in on Collaros initially. But you've of course made up your mind, no amount of logic will change it. 

I recall reading somewhere that they went after the free agents in the order they were available but that they had no bearing on order of interest

It's more about what Willy would choose than what the Bombers said, but of course, you've made your mind up and I'm not going to change it.  ;)

I recall reading somewhere that they went after the free agents in the order they were available but that they had no bearing on order of interest

You read that on the forums for sure.  Right after we managed to sign Willy.

Actually that is something that Kyle Walters said specifically.  Yes, after we signed Willy.  Because it wouldn't make sense to say it before.

It's more about what Willy would choose than what the Bombers said, but of course, you've made your mind up and I'm not going to change it.  ;)

yeah except my mind was made up by logical reasoning and facts, yours by the voices in your head. 

Actually that is something that Kyle Walters said specifically.  Yes, after we signed Willy.  Because it wouldn't make sense to say it before.

Atomic's got my back.

Any time you change an event in the past it is possible that the present will be altered.  This is basic space-time continuum stuff people.

It was already known that Lulay wouldn't be ready to start the season. Willy would have had a choice of signing with Wpg after we just signed Collaros and compete for the starting job or sign with BC and get some guaranteed starts at the beginning of the season.  I don't think his first choice would have been Winnipeg in that case.  I also don't think we'd have paid him as much as we did if we already had Collaros, which would further reduce our chances of getting him.  

Disagree.  Collaros was a free agent back in late January.  I don't think there was any forecast on his shoulder that said he wouldn't be ready for July.  As for the money, lots of money available.  Both would have contracts that based a good portion on performance bonuses.  While that doesn't account for all the $$$, odds are we're signing both of them and passing on Nick Moore.  And the choice between being a placeholder for a few weeks and then going right back to being stuck behind an undisputed #1 QB vs getting a fair crack at winning a #1 QB job on your own team - most guys are taking door #2.

revisionist history IMO. 

true... But TBURG makes a good point.... whether Willy ends up in BC or not is irrelevant... but there's a pretty good chance he wouldn't have ended up in Winnipeg

Space-time continuum.  Any change in the events leading up to that event could result in a different conclusion.  But odds are Winnipeg was still the best place for him.  Burris coming here would have made it more interesting - he'd still get a reasonably fair shot at the top job, and if not, it's his for the taking in a year or two anyways, unlike in almost every other city.  So still giving the nod to Winnipeg.

I recall reading somewhere that they went after the free agents in the order they were available but that they had no bearing on order of interest.

They did.  You might be thinking of the timeline I scribed a month ago.  The thing is, the Bombers had to go after every one of them.  They had no choice.  You go after Collaros because there is no guarantee Burris and Willy become available.  You go after Burris because there is no guarantee Willy becomes available.  You can't leave yourself exposed just expecting to get Willy there for the taking and end up with no one.  But you don't necessarily go after each of them with equal vigor.

That might be the main reason Burris and Collaros passed.  We were not guaranteeing them the starting job, while Hamilton and Ottawa were.  And were willing to pay them accordingly.

It's not ONLY who pays the most.  

Agreed.  How long does a struggling QB get before the fans/coaches/league decides he's garbage?  4 games?  Less?

Collaros had the choice of going to a team that made the Grey Cup and a team that went 3-15 and was in total turmoil.  It's not just money.  Hamilton was the smarter career choice (at the time).  Even still, after all the success he had last year, by the middle of the second game people were starting to question if he's really any good.  He tried to get himself in the best possible situation to not be declared garbage.  So far it has backfired.  How long did it take for Hamiltonians to get "catch the Lefevour" t-shirts printed up?

I know we're talking hypothetically and there's no one right answer,

Space-time continuum.  It's heavy stuff man.

yeah except my mind was made up by logical reasoning and facts, yours by the voices in your head. 

Your 'logical reasoning and facts' amount to 'The Bombers said they wanted him so they'd surely get him'.   :D

Your 'logical reasoning and facts' amount to 'The Bombers said they wanted him so they'd surely get him'.   :D

which is more logic than "no way they'd get him because reasons"

I know it was buried in a rather long post,

You can't leave yourself exposed just expecting to get Willy there for the taking and end up with no one.

but no one is going to do anything with that?  I'm setting you up, you just have to knock it down.

Let me guess, you wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I know it was buried in a rather long post,

You can't leave yourself exposed just expecting to get Willy there for the taking and end up with no one.

but no one is going to do anything with that?  I'm setting you up, you just have to knock it down.

Let me guess, you wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Is this a slur against tall guys from Warsaw?