Week 5 Depth Chart

M.O.A.B.

Grigsby tied for second in the league in rushing with an average of 5.2 yards per carry...   give the guy a break, he's improved his blocking.  

As usual, a player gets crucified for one bad play... that hitch was a bad pass, bad catch and bad call...

Let's stick with some consistency at RB - I guarantee the running game will be better this week with Knapp back at guard

It's hardly one bad play. Even if that one play was atrociously bad.

He doesn't break out of ANY contact, needs a giant hole or tons of space to break away a run and in a game where the gameplan was clearly to throw him the ball in the flats with space, he was either dropping the ball or stumbling all over himself.

It's been said many times but his early success was not even remotely sustainable. He was incredibly lucky to start the season as the starter rather than being a late cut and was even luckier to play his first game against the Argos, who have a terrible defense and a ton of those yards came in the fourth with a comfortable lead.

Anyone that followed pre-season even a LITTLE bit knew that Cotton was our #1 back, without question. Grigsby only started Week 1 by virtue of being the healthiest guy, and only in relative terms because he was hurt too. Would really like to see Cotton get some #1 reps, just to see if pre-season was legit.

Grigsby through the first 3 games

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

He's trending downward and this is a guy that was supposed to be needing the early games to shake the rust off. His week 4 numbers against Edmonton are back up to exactly 100 but nearly a third of those came on one play against prevent defense to end a half.

He's not that good. He's not bad, but Cotton was advertised as better and I for one would like to see.

Anyone that followed pre-season even a LITTLE bit knew that Cotton was our #1 back, without question. Grigsby only started Week 1 by virtue of being the healthiest guy, and only in relative terms because he was hurt too. Would really like to see Cotton get some #1 reps, just to see if pre-season was legit.

Not likely to happen but I would like to see the Bombers trade Grigsby to Sask. for Allen, he's a bigger back and has the power to compliment Cotton well. Win/Win for both teams. 

Grigsby this….Cotton that.

I think all we really want is success at the running back position. 

Success there likely means we'll get a passing game going.

After all we have a capable QB now.

I also want each receiver to catch at least 5 passes for a minimum of 60 yards each and that includes Pontbriand and Fitzgerald, although theirs can be cumulative.

I want Marve to get a TD on a sneak and Willy to get one on a 15 yard run.

3 out of 3 FGs for Haju and our defence to force a safety.

Oh, and an int/fumble return for a TD.

Did I miss anything?

Grigsby this….Cotton that.

I think all we really want is success at the running back position. 

Success there likely means we'll get a passing game going.

After all we have a capable QB now.

I also want each receiver to catch at least 5 passes for a minimum of 60 yards each and that includes Pontbriand and Robertson, although theirs can be cumulative.

I want Marve to get a TD on a sneak and Willy to get one on a 15 yard run.

3 out of 3 FGs for Haju and our defence to force a safety.

Oh, and an int/fumble return for a TD.

Did I miss anything?

Who's Robertson ?

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

He's trending downward and this is a guy that was supposed to be needing the early games to shake the rust off. His week 4 numbers against Edmonton are back up to exactly 100 but nearly a third of those came on one play against prevent defense to end a half.

He's not that good. He's not bad, but Cotton was advertised as better and I for one would like to see.

Pretty strange post for a guy who usually calls out other posters for selective stats...

Willy

Week 1 - 308 yds (70%)

Week 2 - 307 yds (64%)

Week 3 - 256 yds (63%)

Week 4 - 180 yds (52%)

Look! He's trending downwards too... we should try Brohm.

Greaves injury against Ottawa is the main factor in all of this... that and maybe MB is the one who is trending downwards... we'll see this week.

I think losing Greaves is a huge loss for the team and more so the offence but really the entire team... especially considering Legget was hurt also, had to shuffle around some players to make things work ratio wise.

Going 3 Imports on the Oline really has hurt us a bit... I like Teague Sherman but.. Sears at LB and Leggett at safety with Greaves in at guard definitely gives us the best chance to win.

Our Canadian depth is tough and when you lose a starting Canadian to injury, could it be argued we lost 2 when Newman went down in pre-season?? But when you lose one starting Canadian for sure and you don't really have the depth to replace him, that's tough. Gonna say it, Joe Mack did some good things when he was with us, solid recruiter of american talent, he just really really sucked at the Canadian side of things. If you lose a Canadian Guard, you should have the depth to replace him and our biggest problem is, we don't and really theres nothing we can do about that besides be patient,  draft draft draft. Walters needs to have better Candian Drafts than Mack did and we should be ok, Hope walters gets a long leash cuz stuff like this takes time to fix and change. 

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Pretty strange post for a guy who usually calls out other posters for selective stats...

Willy

Week 1 - 308 yds (70%)

Week 2 - 307 yds (64%)

Week 3 - 256 yds (63%)

Week 4 - 180 yds (52%)

Greaves injury against Ottawa is the main factor in all of this... that and maybe MB is the one who is trending downwards... we'll see this week.

Except I'm not talking about Willy.

You can look at Willys numbers last week all you want i think and think oh man he's trending downward, sure can but... If the receivers catch the balls, willy has probably similar numbers to the past 2 weeks if not a bit higher, some of those were big gainers that receivers flat our dropped..

With Grigsby, he's a running back.. DUH right but... what i mean by that is he generally has to make those yards on his own, some blocking here and there of course, here's a crazy theory, maybe both are trending downward cuz the OLINE is??? hmm. but... Willy needs to rely on guys making catches and getting open, if they don't, yeah his numbers won't look so good... Grigsby, make a guy or 2 miss and he should gain positive yardage, really... you need your back to have the ability to make guys miss, charlie roberts was a great example of this, not comparing charlie to grigsby at all but Roberts had the ability to make guys miss consistently and often, Does Grigsby?

Also regarding Cotton, yeah he looked good in Pre-Season, against guys who are no longer playing, last week he didn't look good, didn't look good returning and didn't look good out of the back field when he got a couple chances, Grigsby so far when it's mattered, has looked better than Cotton, if we are going on what players did in pre-season, maybe marve should be playing more :P

How has bolton looked in practice? maybe he's the guy we should be talking about or McGuffie, is he listed as RB or  Receiver or both? 

Obviously with them bringing in backs and keeping backs like Bolton, who i guess also is a rb/wr type but with those types of players being brought in, probably means they want a guy who can not only run out of the backfield but have the ability to catch also, has cotton or grigsby shown that yet? Not really. 

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Willy

Week 1 - 308 yds (70%)

Week 2 - 307 yds (64%)

Week 3 - 256 yds (63%)

Week 4 - 180 yds (52%)

Except I'm not talking about Willy.

Why did you leave out the week 4 numbers from your numerical chart? It completely discredits your point. Grigsby is NOT on a downward trend, as you state. The chart should look like this:

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Week 4 - 100 yards

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Willy

Week 1 - 308 yds (70%)

Week 2 - 307 yds (64%)

Week 3 - 256 yds (63%)

Week 4 - 180 yds (52%)

One big difference here is that Cotton actually looked better than Grigsby in the preseason; Brohm did not look better than Willy by any means.

Also regarding Cotton, yeah he looked good in Pre-Season, against guys who are no longer playing, last week he didn't look good, didn't look good returning and didn't look good out of the back field when he got a couple chances, Grigsby so far when it's mattered, has looked better than Cotton, if we are going on what players did in pre-season, maybe marve should be playing more :P

He got one pass that he whiffed on and it hit him in the face, did he get anything else until the end of the game where he showed more moves than Grigsby has? I can't remember any... So if one drop is enough then what's Grigsbys excuse? 

Cotton to me is the more elusive back who is better at getting consistent production. That is something that helps. They both faced the same kind of competition in preseason and one looked better. Grigsby is running the same way he did in preseason, let's give cotton a real chance to run and see if we're not a better team for it. It's nothing against Grigsby I just think that Cotton was the most impressive player in preseason and earned that chance. Especially when Grigsby really isn't getting the job done outside those first 2 weeks of the season.

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Willy

Week 1 - 308 yds (70%)

Week 2 - 307 yds (64%)

Week 3 - 256 yds (63%)

Week 4 - 180 yds (52%)

I would be willing to make the case that Willy is seeing his numbers regress because the running game has regressed....

Why did you leave out the week 4 numbers from your numerical chart? It completely discredits your point. Grigsby is NOT on a downward trend, as you state. The chart should look like this:

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Week 4 - 100 yards

I guess if you don't like context, it discredits my point. Numbers are just numbers without context. The context of Grigsby's numbers in week 4 is that 37 of his 100 came on plays that Edmonton basically handed to him because they were in prevent defense in the final 25 seconds of a half. So 63 yards.

If you want to go further in depth, let's look at what he did with his carries.

On first down, he had carries of 4, 3, 6, 7, 1, 1, 4 ... that's 7 first down carries and he's averaging 3.4 yards a carry. He didn't have a single carry over 13 yards. On top of that, if you REALLY want to get technical about it, 11 of his receiving yards were on a play where the blocker actually got called for holding, but there were 23 seconds left in the game and Edmonton just declined the penalty. So there you have it. 100 yards, 3.4 yards a carry on first down and 48 of his 50 receiving yards were gifted to us by Edmonton by prevent defense or declined penalties because they couldn't be bothered - on top of all of that, he was also targeted 11 times as a receiver, hauled in only 5 and his mental error on one of them cost us more points than we scored all game.

So yeah. Keep telling me how his performance is not trending downward.

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Week 4 - 100 yards

I guess if you don't like context, it discredits my point. Numbers are just numbers without context. The context of Grigsby's numbers in week 4 is that 37 of his 100 came on plays that Edmonton basically handed to him because they were in prevent defense in the final 25 seconds of a half. So 63 yards.

On first down, he had carries of 4, 3, 6, 7, 1, 1, 4 ... that's 7 first down carries and he's averaging 3.4 yards a carry. He didn't have a single carry over 13 yards. On top of that, if you REALLY want to get technical about it, 11 of his receiving yards were on a play where the blocker actually got called for holding, but there were 23 seconds left in the game and Edmonton just declined the penalty. So there you have it. 100 yards, 3.4 yards a carry on first down and 48 of his 50 receiving yards were gifted to us by Edmonton by prevent defense or declined penalties because they couldn't be bothered - on top of all of that, he was also targeted 11 times as a receiver, hauled in only 5 and his mental error on one of them cost us more points than we scored all game.

Did you factor level of competition into your analysis? I'm sure you'd agree that a better defense (e.g. Edmonton & Montreal vs Ottawa & Toronto) would impact on a running backs average yards per carry and not necessarily mean the player is regressing.

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Week 4 - 100 yards

Did you factor level of competition into your analysis? I'm sure you'd agree that a better defense (e.g. Edmonton & Montreal vs Ottawa & Toronto) would impact on a running backs average yards per carry and not necessarily mean the player is regressing.

I could, but that still doesn't help his case - if you can only put up good numbers against bad teams, that's not a ringing endorsement either.

But let's see how other backs did against Edmonton

Andrew Harris - 139 yards, 1 TD

CJ Gable - 96 yards, 2 TD

Chevon Walker - 94 yards, 1 TD

Not a lot of garbage yards to be found in their performances either.

Numbers aside, I just don't like what I see out of Grigsby when I watch him play. I watch him run hesitantly, he's ducking his pad level way too early in an effort to try and fake out defenders in the open field and he just doesn't seem to have the best hands in the world out of the backfield. He has positives - his ball security is a major plus and unlike some, I don't think he's particularly prone to going down on first contact (although he was during the Edmonton game) - but I just liked the way Cotton runs a lot better.

Week 1 - 139 yards

Week 2 - 112 yards

Week 3 - 59 yards

Week 4 - 100 yards

MB called two running plays in the first half against Ottawa - Grigsby got his 60 yards in one half

Montreal was completely loading the box - Grigsby had a blocking role for most of that game...  MB completely abandoned the running game halfway through the 3rd quarter

Willy was throwing like crap in the Edm game plus a few of the throws that Grigsby 'missed' were Willy avoiding a sack - Grigsby might be our only guy who made catches that game - everyone was off

Yeah people shouldn't take this as everyone shitting on Grigsby, I got nothing against the guy, but I think Cotton was and is a better runner and I want to see him get a chance. Our running game isn't working well enough that it's untouchable.