Practice Updates: Swiston In For Morley, Watson/demond Back, Hall #1

Mike

So many people are forgetting that Tim Burke was pretty much unanimously seen as the next great CFL head coach. There was all sorts of buzz that if we didn't find a way to hang on to him, he was going to be hired by whichever team had an opening next. Remember how freaked out we were when he nearly got the Hamilton gig? Only reason he didn't was because they got their "big fish" in Cortez. 

I know a lot of people are down on him now, but you gotta remember it wasn't that long ago when virtually everyone thought he was the next Cal Murphy...

Yup this.

Honestly do not remember that.

I remember a good DC getting elevated to HC and wondering why he would bother. Then realizing that it was his best bet for some job security because if he didn't take the HC role, the new HC would bring in all his own coaches anyway and he'd be looking for work.

I don't remember him be touted as HC material before Lapo's firing. If he was, show me.

oh he was definitely seen as one of the next co-ordinators who would be promoted. Remember that after 2011 the guy had been the DC of a team in the GC for like 5 years straight or something. 

I remember a good DC getting elevated to HC and wondering why he would bother. Then realizing that it was his best bet for some job security because if he didn't take the HC role, the new HC would bring in all his own coaches anyway and he'd be looking for work.

I don't remember him be touted as HC material before Lapo's firing. If he was, show me.

he was short listed in ham I think and somewhere else. kind of like how gregg Marshall was.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/ticats-coach/

So many people are forgetting that Tim Burke was pretty much unanimously seen as the next great CFL head coach. There was all sorts of buzz that if we didn't find a way to hang on to him, he was going to be hired by whichever team had an opening next. Remember how freaked out we were when he nearly got the Hamilton gig? Only reason he didn't was because they got their "big fish" in Cortez. 

I know a lot of people are down on him now, but you gotta remember it wasn't that long ago when virtually everyone thought he was the next Cal Murphy...

Tim Burke was unanimously seen as the CFL's best co-ordinator that had not yet received an HC shot.  There's a big difference between that and the next great CFL HC.  We've got front row seats to that show, right now. 

A DC as good as Burke was with 2 different franchises... there had to be something beyond his skill as a DC keeping him from other top jobs.  He's a poor leader, poor communicator, and poor front-person for the organization. 

Tim Burke was unanimously seen as the CFL's best co-ordinator that had not yet received an HC shot.  There's a big difference between that and the next great CFL HC.  We've got front row seats to that show, right now. 

A DC as good as Burke was with 2 different franchises... there had to be something beyond his skill as a DC keeping him from other top jobs.  He's a poor leader, poor communicator, and poor front-person for the organization. 

He was with Calgary in 2005-2007 too.  So that's three franchises that he had success with being a "D" co-ordinator.  I don't know why Montreal ever let him go.

Just noticed the News Feed section of the site.  Is someone updating this manually .. is it an automatic feed? 

It is an automatic feed.  The site software has the ability to convert any RSS feed into posts.  It checks every every hour or so for new articles.

The Free Press and Sun publish separate feeds specifically for the Bombers, so those are the ones we have for now.   They have a general football feed as well but that will pull in all of the NFL news.  I would like to get general CFL news as well, but still looking for a source.   TSN has an RSS feed, but it is all their news, they don't separate it by sport.   The CFL site also has a feed but there is something wrong with it, couldn't get it working last night.

What I remember is that no other team wanted to hire him but us for HC

Unless they actually hire their new GM right away it just leaves the team rudderless for the rest of the year. It's not going to fix things right now, you're just going to have a harder time making changes during the season because you lost a very connected guy in the football world who always did seem to bring in some quality players midseason. There was no harm to be done sticking with Mack until the offseason. He wasn't going to go crazy and throw picks and players away on magic beans and leave a smoking crater like Kelly did so might as well have just waited until the offseason.

Dude.....Mack got us in to this mess. Why on earth do you keep defending him? All this talent you keep talking about amounted to the steaming pile of dung you see before you. Keeping him around one minute longer would have done nothing but postponed the enevitable . At least now we can start the process of rebuilding earlier and maybe if the people in charge make some good decisions we can get this sorted out sooner rather than later and it wont take another year and a half. Kyle Walters has been promoted. And if anyone thinks he wont be given the job full time going forward they are crazy. And as much as people might not want to hear it, Burke will more than likely still be here next year as well. The Bombers cannot afford to keep firing people, We basically have enough salary on the books from people we paid to take a hike that we could have two full sets of staff in place. Mack is the architect of this entire mess. our record over his tenure and the sad state of our franchise at the moment are undeniable evidence. This is where we stand after 4 years of Mack. You are right about one thing, firing a GM mid season isn't optimal, he should have been fired last off season when he failed to adress the areas he highlighted himself as being crucial to fixing the team. His in action has lead to this .

yeah Dickenson did interview for the job in Hamilton.  Now that he's had two years more experience as an OC I'd like to see what he could do here as HC, with Bellfry as his OC, if Huffer would let him go, which I don't think he will.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2011/12/ticats-to-interview-burke-dickenson-next-week-cfl-bombers-calstampeders.html

Didn't know you had a direct line to Hamilton and their short list....too bad Cortez wasn't available...they can have him

Didn't need one, I can read.

On Tuesday, when Hamilton announced the trade for Burris, general manager Bob O’Billovich confirmed the Ticats had asked permission from the Buffalo Bills to interview Cortez for the head coaching position. A few days later rumours emerged Winnipeg defensive co-ordinator Tim Burke was close to becoming Hamilton’s new head coach.

Burke told the Winnipeg Free Press Wednesday Hamilton’s list was down to three and the Ticats were hoping to make a decision by the end of the week. Cortez and Toronto special teams co-ordinator Mike O’Shea were widely believed to be the other names on the shortlist.

- See more at: http://www.cflblogzone.com/2012/01/ticats-name-cortez-new-head-coach/#sthash.STqBeWob.dpu