Arland Bruce sues CFL over concussions

What a joke.  If he were to win this, that would ruin sports everywhere.  Everyone with a concussion would start suing the leagues they're in.  Typical American.  Sue because I'm too lazy to do actual work.

Amazingly Buck Pierce is working fine considering all the hits he's taken.  I'm sure there's going to be problems that last the rest of his (their) lives, but you wanted to play football, you took the risk.

His lawyer was just on TSN1290. She says the basis of the lawsuit is the CFLs failure to disclose the protocol for managing "sub-concussions" where you don't show symptoms, and the CFLs failure to follow the "3 strikes you're out" rule that has been known since the 80s.

Arland is apparently doing this for his 3 sons who want to play football.

Apparently Arland is suffering from memory loss, confusion and poor decision making. His lawyer says he should have never been allowed to return from a massive blow he suffered in 2012 that resulted in another concussion.

Nice reaction. Just because it's Arland Bruce it has to be phoney or he's too lazy have an actual job. Some real stereotyping going on here. The lazy, shiftless black guy. Some of you have to give your head a shake. Or don't as you may give yourselves a concussion. The Odell Willis shot at Collaros. Leagues are going to get sued if they don't crack down on head shots. Players are having problems after they retire. Who said Buck Pierce isn't having problems? How does he know that he isn't? If not, then maybe in 5 years he will. You guys can mock Bruce all you want but it will be interesting to see the info that comes out at the trial. Meanwhile the CFL in its infinite wisdom just keeps keepin' on. No suspensions for headshots. Just half a games pay... Little or no consequences. Think there won't be actual neurologists on the sidelines sooner rather than later now? 

You could see this lawsuit coming a mile away but don't worry the NFL represented by the world's top legal talent only had to pay out $765 million so for the CFL it's a frivolous matter. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000235494/article/nfl-explayers-agree-to-765m-settlement-in-concussions-suit

Don't rule Buck out, if he has any brain cells left he may be jumping aboard this bandwagon lawsuit as their star witness.  Quick burn the evidence!

Since this lawsuit is in Canada and not the States, if any damages are awarded, it won't be anywhere near what they could get in the states.

So, let's say Bruce wins & gets $5 million in damages that's a hit of over half a mill per team. If it's upwards of $10 to $20 mill, you do the math. More? The floodgates will open. Keep laughin', guys.

Since this lawsuit is in Canada and not the States, if any damages are awarded, it won't be anywhere near what they could get in the states.

So, let's say Bruce wins & gets $5 million in damages that's a hit of over half a mill per team. If it's upwards of $10 to $20 mill, you do the math. More? The floodgates will open. Keep laughin', guys.

I'm no lawyer but I would think that unless he was forced onto the field he doesn't really have a leg to stand on. I would think it's on him for taking the risk himself. 

Nice reaction. Just because it's Arland Bruce it has to be phoney or he's too lazy have an actual job. Some real stereotyping going on here. The lazy, shiftless black guy. Some of you have to give your head a shake. Or don't as you may give yourselves a concussion. The Odell Willis shot at Collaros. Leagues are going to get sued if they don't crack down on head shots. Players are having problems after they retire. Who said Buck Pierce isn't having problems? How does he know that he isn't? If not, then maybe in 5 years he will. You guys can mock Bruce all you want but it will be interesting to see the info that comes out at the trial. Meanwhile the CFL in its infinite wisdom just keeps keepin' on. No suspensions for headshots. Just half a games pay... Little or no consequences. Think there won't be actual neurologists on the sidelines sooner rather than later now? 

Wow, you sure do pull a lot of **** out of your ass don't you?

No where did I say that it was because he was black, nor did anyone else.  Arland has been kicked off many teams for a reason.  He has a crappy attitude and thinks he's better then he is.  That leads me to believe he wants something for nothing.  You telling me Jock or Milt never got concussions?  Even minor ones?  And yet there they are, working away.

And again, did I, or anyone else, say Buck isn't having any problems?  No.  Once again you're either reading things wrong or making **** up.  I said Buck has problems and probably will the rest of his life, but he's still got a job and is working.

Arland has put himself in this position to have people doubting him.  He's done this to himself with his crap attitude.  He's just playing the blame game and trying to make a buck out of it.

Who says he is getting $5 million.   Who says he even wins.  You just pulled that number out of thin air.  I say he gets $5k.  Now it doesn't look so bad.

You get million dollar verdicts with punitive damages, and punitive damages are very difficult to prove and receive in Canada.

And who is laughing?  Why is it whenever someone disagrees with you, you take it so personally?    No one has said that this is a joke, it is just not the slam dunk you think it is.  Canada is not the litigious society that the States are.

I remembering watching a documentary on The Fifth Estate years ago about a handful of Eskimo players from their dynasty years who met with untimely deaths after years of severe depression, Bill Stevenson the big D-Lineman was one of them featured.   If this lawsuit gets rolling it could stretch way back.

Can't find a video but this article discusses the show.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/dynasty-to-death-cbc-s-fifth-estate-examines-head-injuries-in-football-1.725631

I beleive there is a similar show on YouTube about Chris Benoit the Pro Wrestler who committed murder suicide under similar circumstances.

Law is based on precedent. People have sued over concussions or work place safety & won in the past as in the NFL's case so it's very worrisome. 

Canadian law has nothing to do with American precedent.   The NFL lawsuit and payout will have absolutely nothing to do with the CFL.

I remembering watching a documentary on The Fifth Estate years ago about a handful of Eskimo players from their dynasty years who met with untimely deaths after years of severe depression, Bill Stevenson the big D-Lineman was one of them featured.   If this lawsuit gets rolling it could stretch way back.

Can't find a video but this article discusses the show.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/dynasty-to-death-cbc-s-fifth-estate-examines-head-injuries-in-football-1.725631

I beleive there is a similar show on YouTube about Chris Benoit the Pro Wrestler who committed murder suicide under similar circumstances.

It is real tough to stretch back that far.  You have to prove that the CFL knowingly let people play with concussions and knew that it would be damaging to them.  Back then, concussion science and knowledge was no where near to what it is now.  

This is extremely bizarre.

First, what little I saw of him playing last year, he seemed to be just fine on the field with no indication he had suffered anything, and while I couldn't count for all his injuries, I don't recall seeing him taking all that much hard hits if any.

What I hate about this is that people blame the league or other players for their decision to play a contact sport.  What angers me even more is that there just seems to be this underlying belief that injuries can be eliminated from sports, and that's just bull.  I mean you sign up to play football, whether it's peewee league, high school, college, or pro of any kind, you better have a health plan and possibly a backup plan because you are always at risk to get hit.  Nobody wants to see injuries, though many people such as myself want good hard physical play, but you gotta know that there's the risk of that.  And when you decide to play through an injury such as a concussion, that's you doing that.  I agree the heightened awareness of concussions needs to be implemented, but it should not be bringing this crackdown nonsense into the league that we're seeing.  That stuff has made for bad football down there in the NFL, and it should not be brought into the CFL.

Player safety should be the number one issue. The NFL gets it, I believe. of course, it has paid out hundreds of millions to concussed players from the past. The CFL with its Mickey Mouse slap on the wrist, no suspension, half a game cheque, appeal the fine to arbitration doesn't. The other things are the helmet companies like Schutt & Ridell with the new helmets & promises of less head injuries wearing them which hasn't happened. Also, some of this or perhaps the majority of this should be on the players. The helmets are designed to be inflated but how many times do we see players helmets pop off on first contact? Or players just taking off or putting their helmets on so easily like they're baseball caps? If they are inflated properly, they don't slide on or pop off. They have to be pulled down hard with the players fingers & thumbs because they're inflated. They may be uncomfortable but the helmets no matter how good they are, can't offer protection if they aren't being used properly & that is the players fault. 

he would be much more credible if he would have filed the lawsuit while still gainfully employed in the CFL