Bombers have made a trade ...

Mike

With all the injuries in the east this year - I suspect Walters has someone boxed into a corner. Either Kent Austin or Jim Popp.

Not many of our PR or IR guys have that much value 1 on 1 for a starting (Top 6) OL, particularly a national.

However, I strongly suspect a package deal this time

Involving 2 bomber players going elsewhere plus some neg. rights in exchange for a quality OL (national or international). Deal is deeper for Walters if its a national OL.

My best guess - Watson & Suber plus neg rights to Andy Mulumba for a starting OL (who isn't currently injured). If Mulumba gets himself cut and ends up in the CFL Walters should also make the trade conditional so we get a 2nd rd pick from whoever got Mulumba.

Addendum: I take everything back. Totally underwhelming!!! I guess there's major concern about Brohm or Marve handling the reins should Willy go down!

As much as Watson is the Bombers answer to Humpty Dumpty, I can't see the Bombers trading a starting Canadian receiver (when healthy). Their canadian depth at all positions isn't exactly stellar.

Our canadian content is a concern  and we keep sending conditional draft picks away.  From the limited  time we have seen Marve, I thought he looked like he had higher potential than Brohm, better accuracy, good arm, just thought it was more of a need some experience thing that Brohm moved to  #2.  According to Bomber website, Marve weighs 210, which is more than Portis and Brohm is  236.  If the short yardage is the reason, why not give the job to Brohm  who has 15 pounds on  Marve and 20 on Portis and save our  draft picks  ?

Our canadian content is a concern  and we keep sending conditional draft picks away.  From the limited  time we have seen Marve, I thought he looked like he had higher potential than Brohm, better accuracy, good arm, just thought it was more of a need some experience thing that Brohm moved to  #2.  According to Bomber website, Marve weighs 210, which is more than Portis and Brohm is  236.  If the short yardage is the reason, why not give the job to Brohm  who has 15 pounds on  Marve and 20 on Portis and save our  draft picks  ?

Hey, if it's based on weight alone, let's just trade BC for Ryan Cave so he can sneak the ball.

Hey, if it's based on weight alone, let's just trade BC for Ryan Cave so he can sneak the ball.

Pound for pound that would be a good trade.

Probably due to Marve sucking at short yardage

How many times has Marve been stopped?  Other than once or twice at the goal line?  I know he got stopped on the 30 yard line against Montreal but that was a bad decision to go for it in the first place.  With the lack of push of the O-Line I don't think Refrigerator Perry would have gotten a first down on that play.

How many times has Marve been stopped?  Other than once or twice at the goal line?  I know he got stopped on the 30 yard line against Montreal but that was a bad decision to go for it in the first place.  With the lack of push of the O-Line I don't think Refrigerator Perry would have gotten a first down on that play.

But watching it you can see he hesitates or takes an extra step or something. There's something with him after he takes the snap that isn't right...lol I don't know what it is but I really hope come thursday they've found someone else to do the short yardage. I like him as a QB just not as a short yardage guy.

With all the injuries in the east this year - I suspect Walters has someone boxed into a corner. Either Kent Austin or Jim Popp.

Not many of our PR or IR guys have that much value 1 on 1 for a starting (Top 6) OL, particularly a national.

However, I strongly suspect a package deal this time

Involving 2 bomber players going elsewhere plus some neg. rights in exchange for a quality OL (national or international). Deal is deeper for Walters if its a national OL.

My best guess - Watson & Suber plus neg rights to Andy Mulumba for a starting OL (who isn't currently injured). If Mulumba gets himself cut and ends up in the CFL Walters should also make the trade conditional so we get a 2nd rd pick from whoever got Mulumba.

Addendum: I take everything back. Totally underwhelming!!! I guess there's major concern about Brohm or Marve handling the reins should Willy go down!

Nailed it.

The walls.  The walls must be covered in so much poop.  So much poop thrown at walls.

But watching it you can see he hesitates or takes an extra step or something. There's something with him after he takes the snap that isn't right...lol I don't know what it is but I really hope come thursday they've found someone else to do the short yardage. I like him as a QB just not as a short yardage guy.

The Bombers have a QB coach and this is Marve's only job.  I think they can figure it out.

Conditional draft pick based on what? Portis actually stepping onto the field?

Probably a 6th or 7th rounder and moving up a couple rounds if he starts any games.

Is this normal with QB prospects though?  Expectations for any type of condition I would think should be reasonable.

I don't think it was a bad decision, just bad execution.  I know it didn't work, so it's easy after the fact to say that it was a bad decision, but that's very micro oriented.   From the macro point of view, players love playing for a coach who has confidence in them.  A coach that never gambles on 3rd, or never tries a fake kick, or never goes creative does not instill the same confidence in his players.

I recall one time I was coaching in an important game, and we went for it on third down early in the game and got stuffed.  I called over the entire o-line and the o-line coach and said "that clearly wasn't acceptable, but I know you can do better, so I'm going to give you another chance later to prove that you are better than that".   We gambled twice more in that game, both successfully, and scored a couple of touchdowns with our short yardage team as well, and won the game handily against a strong opponent.

My point is that many people on this board have been critizing the Rider's coaches for playing musical RB's due to a couple of fumbles.   I don't believe that you give up the run entirely due to a couple of fumbles, and you don't stop going for it because you get stuffed on occassion.  It is true that you may need to make changes to the personnel or the execution, but the strategy remains solid.  Teams that play to win, win more often than overly concervative teams.

Are we really assuming that Marve is being replaced for not being a great short yardage QB?  By that same logic, Goltz should replace Marve on the roster.  Outside of Griller... I can't think anyone wants that again.

Forget whether or not our OL is generating a satisfactory push.  You CAN'T choose your developmental QB based on whether or not he can dive forward for a first down.  Especially when that QB has shown the promise that Marve has. 

Are we really assuming that Marve is being replaced for not being a great short yardage QB?  By that same logic, Goltz should replace Marve on the roster.  Outside of Griller... I can't think anyone wants that again.

Forget whether or not our OL is generating a satisfactory push.  You CAN'T choose your developmental QB based on whether or not he can dive forward for a first down.  Especially when that QB has shown the promise that Marve has. 

Your developmental QB doesn't have to be on the 44 man gameday roster.