Roster thoughts post game #2 - changes must be made

If the Bombers coaches are perfectly fine with letting Turner be home with his wife and newborn why in gods name is anyone on this site bitching about it? If the Bombers had lost last night it wouldn't have been because they were missing Bryant Turner. 

Quick question, just popped into my head reading through this thread: I seem to recall an "ignore" function being added to the board at some point (unless I'm mistaken). Can someone give me a quick crash course on how to use that functionality? i.e. let's just say, for example, of course, I wanted to ignore/never see...oh, I don't know...every post by the OP of this thread. What might I click on to make that happen? 

Just in theory...of course.

Theoretically speaking, you would click on the drop down list next to your name in the top right of the screen & click manage Ignore Prefs.  On the next page you  would then type in the user name you no longer wish to be trolled by & select your options for ignoring accordingly.  Save the changes and you are done.

Many thanks. What a wonderful, wonderful function. BRB gotta go tell the wife when she's allowed to ovulate.

Booch there is a difference between coaching success and player success and player failure.....

If Burris completed that pass down the middle who was left wide open BB lose the game..... I don't care what Ottawa did. If they have players open all over the place and drop the ball in the end zone it does not mean we did a good job.

I would be upset with Ottawa's game plan in the 2nd half because they tried to out smart themselves with running the ball too many times. And I think they know that now. We got lucky!

So.. by this logic, Hamilton's offence just went cold after scoring 3 touchdowns.  Nothing to do with the defence changing anything.. The offence, which was on a tear suddenly went dead for 3 quaters? really? How can you believe that.

Ottawa went from man coverage to zone to adjust to willy picking on garvis and their rookie secondary.. Once Ottawa did that we started throwing into the flats and gaining 7 - 10 yards at time vs going over the top.  Thats and adjustment.

no no no...thats not an adjustment...thats a case of Ottawa db's and linebackers "just" missing interceptions and tackles for losses...

and our defence didn't adjust....Ottawa dropped many many passes, and our ability to give up no points and minimal yards was cause Burris was just missing all our blown assignments....man we were lucky for 3 quarters

i'll leave it at this. When coaching in the NCAA. If you had a child on Tuesday you could go but you better be back for Saturday. Unless something happened to your wife/child...... I recall i believe it was 2004 a player from our program was in the NFL. His wife was giving birth saturday and had a game on sunday. He could not go. My wife and good friend assisted his wife for a few days when she got home the day after birth. He was on the active roster. Did not start, but saw probably 20 or so plays in a game on average. He knew that him missing a game could be the end of his career. Family is important you say but what family will you have when you are unemployed?

In this case. Turner knows his job is safe. But what if the BB lost the game? then the BB miss the playoffs by 1 game. This might not matter to you but if you are in the game of football this will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Coaching football you are hardly around your family. So to say family is #1. Let's be real here. Football coaches have a diff't value of what family time is. Nick Saban leaves 6am and comes home 11pm. Maybe gets home for dinner and this isn't even during the season. 

I'm a real close friend of Tony Levine who coaches in the NCAA. There are staff rules even if your son or wife has a birthday. You can't miss team functions. You have to understand that in sports it is different than your regular 9/5 job. It just is. And only if you were involved in a higher level of sport. You would understand it cause you would see it and feel it.

There is a reason why pro athletes miss births even for the 15th game of a 82 regular season NHL game or NBA game.

I'm not coaching anymore. I retired. You can argue all you want about anything and everything. However you need to back up your claims. 

American punter? come on. you don't need your punter to be Canadian. Cut Banks and keep maher. Cut Renaud and bring in another NAT player for any position. 

a CFL RB is not designed to be a blocker. You are required to block maybe 20% of your non running plays. Just watch the game and watch. Then tell me. Grigsby had a call to block backside OLB. the Will back came in  and Grigsby did an admirable job on a guy twice his size.

In CFL, we have this thing called Designated-Import, I bet  you dont know that?

Grigsby is a RB and he doesn't have to block. This ain't the NFL. How many times do CFL RB's even get into position to block? not often. And if you disagree watch the games tonight. And Grigsby at least 2 times in the 4th had to block blind side and did an awesome job.

This seals it for me.. You cfl football iq is extremely low.

RBs consistently are depended on for picking up the blitz and blocking extra attackers.

F

No there were passes that were dropped. The one you are thinking is a perfect example of anything you want to make of. It was a blown assignment. Ottawa saw it and we got caught but ended up getting lucky.

All in all fellas we were lucky to win the game. Lots of work. Just understand the changes that need to made cause if they aren't met we will be 3-5 and you all will be wondering what happened.......

source: years playing/coaching football in NCAA

this sounds like Mike kelly.

I wish i could tag people as such.

Couple of things Beach. The birth of a child is something special and I don't think Bryant Turner did the wrong thing by missing a regular season game to witness it and applaud O'Shea for supporting him. Also I think you are way off base in stating that the Blue D made no adjustments. Something other than a couple of dropped passes changed to limit a high scoring 1st quarter RedBlacks to 1 touchdown the rest of the game. Adjustments are often little things such as attacking a specific gap differently, shifting your safety slightly to help a db that is getting picked on or changing lb responsibility for a back releasing out of the backfield. These little things are almost impossible to see on the tv and takes someone who knows what to look for and doesnt follow the ball to figure out when attending a game in person.

what was this guys name last year? these posts seem so familiar, i really can't recall his name, someone mentioned he was on OB last year and go laughed away, i think it's the same guy. The lack of CFL knowledge is pretty crazy here.

I will say, i'm not a big fan of renaud, think he leaves a lot to be desired but looked like he was doing alright yesterday with the directional punting, looked pretty obvious to me that they told him to just kick it to a spot and for the most part, he did. I mean, Ottawas biggest return was like 12 yards. 

LOL @ the source: years of ncaa coaching experience, can i ask you man? what team?  Really does come across as being mike kelly lol.

But just want to be humoured a bit today, what team (s) did you coach in the NCAA. For that matter, let's go one step further, we got some pretty big NCAA fans here, what's your name? maybe we can wikipedia you lol. 

this is from a post last night during the game by a member here

Funny I was howling about the same thing during the opening 2 quarters. Think the Ottawa O kinda tanked on its own here, as opposed to Etch's adjustments or whatever. They had some misfires and dropped balls that led to empty drives, but I will take that.

We can't keep digging ourselves in holes like that though the rest of the way.

at least we know someone else sees the same way.

Well.. with that in mind, there are millions of people that believe hating people by their race, color, or sexual orentation is completely legitimate and okay... Doesn't make them any less wrong.

Quick comments from a complete football laymen:

- Etch passed a test last night.  That test being "what will he do when the D is getting picked apart".  He was able to make adjustments and the Bombers D all but shut them down the rest of the game.

- Drew Willy proved he wasnt a one-game wonder.  He does so many things right.  When was the last time we had such an accurate passer down field, Khari?  You could tell his hand was bothering him leading to a near interception and then to the interception.  He settled down.  He was under loads of pressure and still played his game and wasnt affraid to push the ball at the right times nor was he relying one the big one play like some young QB's do

- Props to Marcel.  A very very well called game.  So this is what an actualy CFL offense looks like?  A good OC, a good QB and look what happens.  Offense was distributed all over and he made adjustments to off-set the blitz.  great game from MB.

On the Turner subject, I had said in the other thread that I wished he'd be back now that the kid was born.  Im not sure we know the entire story.  Was there a medical reason concerning his baby or wife that he stayed for?  Was there a personal matter surrounding this he needed an extra day or two to attend to?  If no to all the above, still, its his decision and the decision of the Bombers and if they were cool with it, then we are in no position to say otherwise. Case closed.

Am I the only who's annoyed with Aaron Woods on punt returns? It seems that he's scared to catch the ball on a bounce. I remember on one return he ran backwards 5 yards instead of running up and grabbing it. He's actually very good at catching it in the air(something Jovon was terrible at) but he seems to be reluctant to grab it on a bounce.

This guy be trolling .. no sense in hashing it out with him or continuing in this thread ..

On that note .. who likes bacon? 

I'm not impressed by bacon. Sure, YOU might think it tastes delicious, but anyone who really knows about meat knows that it's just lucky that it has so much salt on it.  Take away the salt and fat and it has a lot of work to do on it's fundamentals before it's a decent piece of food.

This guy be trolling .. no sense in hashing it out with him or continuing in this thread ..

I'm not impressed by bacon. Sure, YOU might think it tastes delicious, but anyone who really knows about meat knows that it's just lucky that it has so much salt on it.  Take away the salt and fat and it has a lot of work to do on it's fundamentals before it's a decent piece of food.

i agree. Source: I played farmville

I gotta say somethin here....First we should have kept maher? you mean the guy who missed his field goal yesterday? Oh ok....And I completely disagree about your point on the the no yards call on Johnny Sears. Sears was watching the ball the entire way. He had no idea where the punt returner was, is his job in that situation to get the ball? Or the returner? I feel you have a hard time understanding basic things so I'll let you know...it's the returner. He needed to be watching where the returner was. He wasn't, which is why he was out of position....take in mind I'm not a big renaud fan.

Grisby will be the starter but when cotton/ford are healthy they will get carries and we will see then what happens.

As for turner, you're just an idoit. Accidents happen....I know because my unplanned child was just born. You know nothing about Turners situation. And the fact that you think you can comment on it makes me believe you're a 13 yr old. But hey lets play your hypothical game...maybe turner decides to miss the birth of his child to play...lets say 3 plays in he takes a low hit and blows his knee or maybe his achillies. Or maybe breaks his neck etc etc...career over. So now he's unemployed (I hope all CFL players have a plan in place for something like this...the $ isn't that good fyi) horribly injured and has missed the birth of his child. See how stupid ass hypothecticals can work both ways?

As for your missed opportunities by Ottawa...there were two plays where kelly was open,one was a post corner against Jovon and made jovon look....well like Jovon. and the other was on that WR screen that was almost picked off where he just ran right up the seam. He would have had big gains if only willy saw him. So really WPG should have put up about 45 points. Ottawa sure is lucky eh?

My wife bought me a bag of that bacon jerky stuff a while back, bless her heart.  Turns out it's pretty much just really crispy bacon.  Not sure what I expected.  On the bright side, I have a bag of really crispy bacon.

If the Bombers coaches are perfectly fine with letting Turner be home with his wife and newborn why in gods name is anyone on this site bitching about it? If the Bombers had lost last night it wouldn't have been because they were missing Bryant Turner.

Yup. I sincerely hope that Mr. Turner has all the quality time he needs with his newborn, as that is a billion times more important than everything else. That being said, I sure will be glad to see him back on the line again. Zach Anderson is good, but he's no Bryant Turner.

Bryant Turner should have been in Winnipeg. There was zero reason for him to stay for 1 week. Like Troy Westwood say. You are different than a professional athlete. Almost 90% of the pro athletes actually miss the birth of their child to play in a game. Some even miss a meaningless game in MLB or NBA where as a CFL game has way more importance. Chris Walby said it best. Plan to have a child outside of football season. And that is the truth. It's like if you have a regular job that you know in the fall you will be busy. Majority of people would plan that. In fact isn't that just a basic life lesson to plan the birth of your child?

I don't have kids, want kids or even really like kids, and with that said, your ignorance is absolutely astounding.

Well that is a bit rude calling it ignorant. Do you feel the same way when everyone says the same thing? or just me? Cause I think it's safe to say everyone in professional sports feels the same way. The kid was born last week not yesterday.

We are learning lots about Mike O'Shea. If he doesn't comment he probably agrees. And MOS didn't come out and say it was ok for him to miss the game. He even said last week that ''OH BRYANT WILL BE HERE OF COURSE'' so you know MOS is upset with him.

Troll...

So.. Mike renaud is american (he called him INT) and doesnt think mike o'shea is ok with turners absence even tho.he was.quoted in the paper saying exactly opposite...

Oh and a cfl RB doesnt need to block.. tell that to cory boyd, he of leading cfl in yards at the time and who was cut because he cant block!

So, 0 fer 3 by this illustrious ex-ncaa (and 4 other leagues) coach... Hmm..

Something does not compute..