Roster thoughts post game #2 - changes must be made

I haven't exactly been a fan of Renaud in the past, but I am struggling to figure out how he "almost cost us the game" yesterday.  Did the redgreens even have a single decent return? Didn't Maher have a punt tipped and another one flubbed off the side of his foot?

2 things.

i'm not comparing Stegall to Kelly. But he can be used the same way. Gordon is not the same receiver as Kelly so that is off the mark. And we are using AK as Stegall. Down the field threat.

drew willy strengths are his short passes and reads. He needs better work on fundamentals. 

Actually short passes and reads are the fundamentals... 

fundamentals are holding onto the ball. reading the defense while setting his feet. Did you ever notice that Willy is actually horrible at his drops? He out positions himself for the throws he wants to make. Which Matt Dunigan mentioned last week..... So much work to go on him. 

No there were passes that were dropped. The one you are thinking is a perfect example of anything you want to make of. It was a blown assignment. Ottawa saw it and we got caught but ended up getting lucky.

All in all fellas we were lucky to win the game. Lots of work. Just understand the changes that need to made cause if they aren't met we will be 3-5 and you all will be wondering what happened.......

source: years playing/coaching football in NCAA

I am intrigued as to what teams will give up NAT OL capable of starting before labour day.

I was not able to watch the game but 200 yards in the first q and 100 yards in the next 3 suggests adjustments were made. 

And ANYONE saying missing the birth of a child is ok "as long as they're healthy" - A many number of tragic events can happen during the actual birth.  The lack of understanding of that is disgusting.   Ask Matt Stajan if he would have been ok with missing the birth of his daughter.  And as to whether or not Turner and co are ok now?  None of your ******* business.  You have a problem with it?  Who cares.  I'm sure Turner doesn't give a **** about your, Westwood's, or anyone's opinion.  As to " they are professional athletes, it's different" - times have changed for workers everywhere.  "Benefits" have changed for all workers regarding family time.  There's a REASON coaches let these guys go.  Nothing is more important than family - nothing.

Bryant Turner should have been in Winnipeg. There was zero reason for him to stay for 1 week. Like Troy Westwood say. You are different than a professional athlete. Almost 90% of the pro athletes actually miss the birth of their child to play in a game. Some even miss a meaningless game in MLB or NBA where as a CFL game has way more importance. Chris Walby said it best. Plan to have a child outside of football season. And that is the truth. It's like if you have a regular job that you know in the fall you will be busy. Majority of people would plan that. In fact isn't that just a basic life lesson to plan the birth of your child?

I don't have kids, want kids or even really like kids, and with that said, your ignorance is absolutely astounding.

There are positives to point of views like this.  For example, I now know that all comments from this poster don't need to be read going forward.  It's a nice time saver.

I am intrigued as to what teams will give up NAT OL capable of starting before labour day.

I was not able to watch the game but 200 yards in the first q and 100 yards in the next 3 suggests adjustments were made. 

And ANYONE saying missing the birth of a child is ok "as long as they're healthy" - A many number of tragic events can happen during the actual birth.  The lack of understanding of that is disgusting.   Ask Matt Stajan if he would have been ok with missing the birth of his daughter.  And as to whether or not Turner and co are ok now?  None of your ******* business.  You have a problem with it?  Who cares.  I'm sure Turner doesn't give a **** about your, Westwood's, or anyone's opinion.  As to " they are professional athletes, it's different" - times have changed for workers everywhere.  "Benefits" have changed for all workers regarding family time.  There's a REASON coaches let these guys go.  Nothing is more important than family - nothing.

No no, it's really much like leaving a cat in the garage when you go away for the weekend.

Leave out a bowl of water, some kibble, a litter box.  All will be fine.

No there were passes that were dropped. The one you are thinking is a perfect example of anything you want to make of. It was a blown assignment. Ottawa saw it and we got caught but ended up getting lucky.

All in all fellas we were lucky to win the game. Lots of work. Just understand the changes that need to made cause if they aren't met we will be 3-5 and you all will be wondering what happened.......

LOL. It's always a great sign when the guy saying ridiculous things pulls out his anonymous credentials.  Didn't you post on OB last year under a different name for a while before you were laughed away?

this is from a post last night during the game by a member here

Funny I was howling about the same thing during the opening 2 quarters. Think the Ottawa O kinda tanked on its own here, as opposed to Etch's adjustments or whatever. They had some misfires and dropped balls that led to empty drives, but I will take that.
We can't keep digging ourselves in holes like that though the rest of the way.

at least we know someone else sees the same way.

are you still coaching ? obviously not since if you are you should be busy with you team (it's football season in any levels) and not busy with the forum.

so if you're on the street that's speak how good coach you are.

source:

Years playing in NCAA/CFL..CIS

Years coaching in CIS/American/Canadian Highschools/NCAA Training camps for draft eligible players

Football is a game of coulda..shoulda's...missed assignments...blown coverage's...coaching blunders...mental errors...and yes being lucky

I sure there will be games we should have won..but didn't....and should have lost but didn't...as will any team in any league....thats football 

i'll leave it at this. When coaching in the NCAA. If you had a child on Tuesday you could go but you better be back for Saturday. Unless something happened to your wife/child...... I recall i believe it was 2004 a player from our program was in the NFL. His wife was giving birth saturday and had a game on sunday. He could not go. My wife and good friend assisted his wife for a few days when she got home the day after birth. He was on the active roster. Did not start, but saw probably 20 or so plays in a game on average. He knew that him missing a game could be the end of his career. Family is important you say but what family will you have when you are unemployed?

In this case. Turner knows his job is safe. But what if the BB lost the game? then the BB miss the playoffs by 1 game. This might not matter to you but if you are in the game of football this will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Coaching football you are hardly around your family. So to say family is #1. Let's be real here. Football coaches have a diff't value of what family time is. Nick Saban leaves 6am and comes home 11pm. Maybe gets home for dinner and this isn't even during the season. 

I'm a real close friend of Tony Levine who coaches in the NCAA. There are staff rules even if your son or wife has a birthday. You can't miss team functions. You have to understand that in sports it is different than your regular 9/5 job. It just is. And only if you were involved in a higher level of sport. You would understand it cause you would see it and feel it.

There is a reason why pro athletes miss births even for the 15th game of a 82 regular season NHL game or NBA game.

I'm not coaching anymore. I retired. You can argue all you want about anything and everything. However you need to back up your claims. 

American punter? come on. you don't need your punter to be Canadian. Cut Banks and keep maher. Cut Renaud and bring in another NAT player for any position. 

a CFL RB is not designed to be a blocker. You are required to block maybe 20% of your non running plays. Just watch the game and watch. Then tell me. Grigsby had a call to block backside OLB. the Will back came in  and Grigsby did an admirable job on a guy twice his size.

Quick question, just popped into my head reading through this thread: I seem to recall an "ignore" function being added to the board at some point (unless I'm mistaken). Can someone give me a quick crash course on how to use that functionality? i.e. let's just say, for example, of course, I wanted to ignore/never see...oh, I don't know...every post by the OP of this thread. What might I click on to make that happen? 

Just in theory...of course.

I bet you if they miss a birth and something goes tragically wrong, they would never, ever, EVER  forgive themselves for the rest of their lives. 

I hope you never have to experience anything like that.

And, for the record, his daughter was born WEDNESDAY and the game is Thursday.  Not "if the child is born Tuesday you should play Saturday" - not even relevant here.  They're still in the hospital.

I hope this is a troll because that's the only way I can make sense of this crap.

ahh the classic case of a guy who knows a little bit about football making big claims about observations that are so far off the mark it's almost comical but then defending them to the death even though everyone else sees how ridiculous it is. Good times. 

I mean really, guy thinks Stegall was used as a deep threat... ridiculous, Stegall was used all over the field... much like they used Nick Moore last night. 

Quick question, just popped into my head reading through this thread: I seem to recall an "ignore" function being added to the board at some point (unless I'm mistaken). Can someone give me a quick crash course on how to use that functionality? i.e. let's just say, for example, of course, I wanted to ignore/never see...oh, I don't know...every post by the OP of this thread. What might I click on to make that happen? 

Just in theory...of course.

Theoretically speaking, you would click on the drop down list next to your name in the top right of the screen & click manage Ignore Prefs.  On the next page you  would then type in the user name you no longer wish to be trolled by & select your options for ignoring accordingly.  Save the changes and you are done.

Coaching football you are hardly around your family. So to say family is #1. Let's be real here. Football coaches have a diff't value of what family time is. Nick Saban leaves 6am and comes home 11pm. Maybe gets home for dinner and this isn't even during the season. 

Nick Saban salary:  $7 million

Bryant Turner salary:  Maybe $125,000

Can't expect CFL players to make the same sacrifices as guys making 70 times more money.  Terrible analogy.

Bryant Turner should have been in Winnipeg. There was zero reason for him to stay for 1 week. Like Troy Westwood say. You are different than a professional athlete. Almost 90% of the pro athletes actually miss the birth of their child to play in a game. Some even miss a meaningless game in MLB or NBA where as a CFL game has way more importance. Chris Walby said it best. Plan to have a child outside of football season. And that is the truth. It's like if you have a regular job that you know in the fall you will be busy. Majority of people would plan that. In fact isn't that just a basic life lesson to plan the birth of your child?

I'm going to ignore the rest of post for now, but dude get a grip. Turner just had a baby with his wife.  See the other thread about him missing the game.   Family comes first.   He Family needed him there.  To suggest he should have missed the birth of his daughter is ludicrous and shows you don't have any kids, or vision outside of football. 

You point about planning to have a kid outside of football season? Man are you ignorant.  People have miscarriages, and it can take years to concieve a kid.  Having kids and is a lifetime event.  Football is maybe 3-10 years if you are lucky.  In 10 years, football will be a memory.

How many kids do you have?

I think i already know the answer.

I don't have kids, want kids or even really like kids, and with that said, your ignorance is absolutely astounding.

Well that is a bit rude calling it ignorant. Do you feel the same way when everyone says the same thing? or just me? Cause I think it's safe to say everyone in professional sports feels the same way. The kid was born last week not yesterday.

If anyone else said it my reaction would have been identical, it was early enough in the thread I didn't realize you had intellectual shortcomings yet. And for the record what I found most ignorant wasn't saying he should miss the game, it was about having his kid outside of football season.  There are so many situations where that just isn't practical or possible. So I felt my original phrasing if anything was nicer than you deserved.

I'm going to ignore the rest of post for now, but dude get a grip. Turner just had a baby with his wife.  See the other thread about him missing the game.   Family comes first.   He Family needed him there.  To suggest he should have missed the birth of his daughter is ludicrous and shows you don't have any kids, or vision outside of football. 

You point about planning to have a kid outside of football season? Man are you ignorant.  People have miscarriages, and it can take years to concieve a kid.  Having kids and is a lifetime event.  Football is maybe 3-10 years if you are lucky.  In 10 years, football will be a memory.

How many kids do you have?

I think i already know the answer.

I'm sure he has had several children, all of which he missed the births of in order to assume his position as the backup holder for the field goal kicker of his beer league football team.

But we haven't been around football, so we wouldn't know what the culture is like.