Drew Willy

Brandon

Had double the amount of TD's that Goltz had in 2013 in only one game!!

He hit 7 different receivers with most getting 2 catches or more ....  looked very slick in the pocket and aside from a few circus catches by Kelly most of his passes were dead on.

Nice quick release... instead of scrambling he kept his eyes down the field....  made very little mistakes.... 

QB of the future??

Kids a rising star, by the end of the year he'll be up there among the league elite IMO ... thanks Sask, hate to have to get you to groom our QB's but after the steaming piles of the last three years I'll take it :)

The fans in Saskabush were high on Sunseri saying he was better than Willy. Heard he played like **** during the pre season.

Kids a rising star, by the end of the year he'll be up there among the league elite IMO ... thanks Sask, hate to have to get you to groom our QB's but after the steaming piles of the last three years I'll take it :)

The fans in Saskabush were high on Sunseri saying he was better than Willy. Heard he played like **** during the pre season.
That was hilarious... According to them, Tino was the real number two all along, Drew Willy was no big loss

That was hilarious... According to them, Tino was the real number two all along, Drew Willy was no big loss

I hope Durant misses some games & they have to play that guy.

He looked really composed tonight, very accurate and showed good decision making.  From my vantage point up top it looked like the one big error was staring down the receiver on his pick.  Seemed to feel the pressure well.  I'm excited.  It is one game though.  I just want to see continual growth. Contrary to what the fans in the bathrooms were shouting, I will not buy my Grey Cup ticket yet.

I can't remember what sight it was, but I think it was Mr. Perfect who called Drew being the one to get, way back when we all had Collaros fever...

Just thought I'd give him his due... Good call man!

It was Mr. Perfect.

Willy looks like he is well on his way to being one of the elite QB's of this league.

Finally...

There are going to be a lot of Bomber fans in the City tomorrow.

I can't remember what sight it was, but I think it was Mr. Perfect who called Drew being the one to get, way back when we all had Collaros fever...

Just thought I'd give him his due... Good call man!

Appreciate the props. The play that sold me on Willy came last year in a game the Riders played in Guelph. He hit Simon on a corner TD route that would have made Ray and Tucker jealous in their hay day when that was their money route. Was as pinpoint as you can get. Saw Willy go to it a few times tonight.

I just want to say, I was sort of upset when we missed on Collaros, and were "stuck" with Willy. I'm so happy I was SO wrong...

Man did Drew look good out there

I wouldn't say you were wrong, he was my pick too. Willy was two - best part is Willy was #3 for the bombers (they wanted Burris after Collaros went to Hamilton). It's cliche but so true in a lot of cases, and it is here - sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. We missed on Collaros, and we lost out on Burris. 

We should all sign a "Thank You" card and send it to ole Hank (I never wanted that guy btw - never liked him  he's a 'me first' kinda guy). The Cover will say Thank you and when you open it it'll say "FOR SAYING NO TO US" 

Yes, now we all know what a real QB looks like, not the crap that has been passing off as such over the past 7 or so years here (no offense meant to you Buck, you were a 'good' QB but you never an 'elite' one and with the injuries well, it is what it is). 

I just want to say, I was sort of upset when we missed on Collaros, and were "stuck" with Willy. I'm so happy I was SO wrong...

I wouldn't say you were wrong, he was my pick too. Willy was two - best part is Willy was #3 for the bombers (they wanted Burris after Collaros went to Hamilton). It's cliche but so true in a lot of cases, and it is here - sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. We missed on Collaros, and we lost out on Burris. 

Not sure why people continue to claim that Willy was the third choice for the Bombers out of the three available quarterbacks. Collaros and Burris were pursued first because they were available first. It was well publicized that ideally we wanted both Willy and Burris but obviously that didn't pan out with the ridiculous contract he signed in Ottawa. The team is on record as saying Willy is the player they coveted most. No it's not because he's the one we ended up with but rather because he is simply the best quarterback of the three (what a novel concept), and I would have said that before last night as well without hesitation.

Not sure why people continue to claim that Willy was the third choice for the Bombers out of the three available quarterbacks. Collaros and Burris were pursued first because they were available first. It was well publicized that ideally we wanted both Willy and Burris but obviously that didn't pan out with the ridiculous contract he signed in Ottawa. The team is on record as saying Willy is the player they coveted most. No it's not because he's the one we ended up with but rather because he is simply the best quarterback of the three (what a novel concept), and I would have said that before last night as well without hesitation.

Exactly.  The optics of not going after those two would have been indefensible.  Even though the optics of being outbid for both made us look like the same old cheap Winnipeggers that can't bring themselves to raise at the big boy table... if we truly had our target set on Drew Willy... we look really good after what he showed yesterday.

I say this as a guy who was firmly in the Willy camp at the end of last year  :D

Exactly.  The optics of not going after those two would have been indefensible.  Even though the optics of being outbid for both made us look like the same old cheap Winnipeggers that can't bring themselves to raise at the big boy table... if we truly had our target set on Drew Willy... we look really good after what he showed yesterday.

I say this as a guy who was firmly in the Willy camp at the end of last year  :D

Just to hopefully eliminate any and all confusion going forward:

January 29 - Collaros released by Toronto.

January 30 - Collaros signs with Hamilton

January 30 - Burris released by Hamilton

February 4 - Burris signs with Ottawa

February 6 - Winnipeg trades for Willy's negotiating rights ahead of the February 15 free agency period

Not only were these 3 QBs not available at the same time, not even 2 of them were available at the same time.  They were pursued in the chronological order they came available, not in order of preference.

For some people to assume that Burris being released was obvious months ahead of it happening and was "the Bomber's second choice" is absurd.  Burris was property of Hamilton up until the moment they signed Collaros and chose to release Burris.  For the people who assume the Bombers would have ignored Collaros and Burris if Willy was their first choice, that is absurd.  That would be terrible management.  Willy re-signing with Saskatchewan or going to another team was always a possibility, and one that the Bombers had no control over.  For the Bombers to have done anything other than what they did would have been an offence worthy of Walters' unemployment.

That is not to say that it may not also have been in order of preference; only the Bomber braintrust will ever know for certain.

My take is that the Bombers wanted 2 of these guys and their preference was one of them to be Willy.  Burris' $ ask made that impossible.