Drew Willy

Brandon

Bombers signed Willy to a 3 year contract (2 + 1). He'll be almost 31 when the deal is up so I doubt he goes to the NFL. Good chance Willy is our QB for the next 10 years.

He's had his NFL chance so I think he'll be good to go here for years to come. Plus, we gave him his shot when no one else did. I think he'll always remember that.

You've got to think being the "star QB" is pretty infatuating even if it is not the NFL.  Very good salary, profile and probably the most security of any CFL position.  Not many have succeeded in the "cross over" between leagues.  Was Flutie the last QB to accomplish this?

well at the very least Garcia was after Flutie

Let's not kid ourselves here, Burris doesn't get offered 375K if Willy is our first option. With that being said, I'm ecstatic that we got Willy who I now feel is the best QB that moved teams this off season.

Willy and Burris were not available at the same time... If they are perhaps Burris is not offered 375K

We traded for Willy and he never became a free agent. He was available the entire time. It really doesn't matter to me who they preferred because I'm happy with Willy, but if Willy is our number one target we most likely trade for him at the start of the off season.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Burris doesn't get offered 375K if Willy is our first option. With that being said, I'm ecstatic that we got Willy who I now feel is the best QB that moved teams this off season.

Willy and Burris were not available at the same time... If they are perhaps Burris is not offered 375K

We traded for Willy and he never became a free agent. He was available the entire time. It really doesn't matter to me who they preferred because I'm happy with Willy, but if Willy is our number one target we most likely trade for him at the start of the off season.

That wasn't even in the cards at the beginning of the off season.

The bombers new brain trust had a lot of work to do in the off season, including the hiring of new staff.

Part of their plan was having the staff identify needs and wants.

It took time, maybe more time than necessary, but then again, we don't know that.

They had a target of QBs that were identified, and acted accordingly.

There are a couple of beliefs out there as to was targeted first.

It doesn't matter now, of course, and fans can believe what they will.....but I gotta say, if the Bombers say they targeted Willy, who am I to argue that?

That wasn't even in the cards at the beginning of the off season.

The bombers new brain trust had a lot of work to do in the off season, including the hiring of new staff.

Part of their plan was having the staff identify needs and wants.

It took time, maybe more time than necessary, but then again, we don't know that.

They had a target of QBs that were identified, and acted accordingly.

There are a couple of beliefs out there as to was targeted first.

It doesn't matter now, of course, and fans can believe what they will.....but I gotta say, if the Bombers say they targeted Willy, who am I to argue that?

Mr. Dee, lets step back ok? Stop being a 'fan' for second and look at it objectively. What do you think the bombers are going to say after they trade for and sign him. Do you, honestly now, do you actually think anyone in the organisation will stand up on a podium and say:

"Well, we wanted Collaros but in talking to his agent we weren't getting a good vibe from him, then all of a sudden Burris is released and the next day he signed with them, so we thought 'great now we can get a veteran presence in here along the lines of "Corey Banks" is for defense for our offense' and as such we offered Burris a very attractive package but  Burris spurned us to sign with an expansion team so the only option left was Willy so........"

I mean really Mr. Dee? The Bombers are saying exactly what they are supposed to say. You can believe whatever you want, but then you should change your name to Mr. Ostrich because you have your head in the sand on this clearly. It was widely reported by reporters in Wpg, here in Edmonton, and on TSN, that the Bombers were very interested in Collaros. Yes, there was talk, especially early, about Willy too, and I remember some posters on our Bombers stating that (mr perfect) Willy should be the 'man' but the vast majority there, including me, wanted Collaros. The  Bombers were waiting for Collaros to become an FA when all of a sudden Burris got cut, then Collaros got cut, and was subsequently signed immediately by the 'Cats. Now I will give you this is all hyperbole, and nothing substantiated but I recall an article somewhere  that with Collaros now off the table the 'bombers' were targeting Burris. And on that, it's a FACT, not a made up thing, the Bombers offered Burris a very large contract for at least two years. Burris received a similar offer from Ottawa (in hind sight Montreal should have offered him something too lol) and in the end took Ottawa's offer.

Then the talk was would the bombers pursue Kevin Glenn. I can't recall the exact timing but it was at least a week, if not longer, before the Bombers even traded for Willy's rights so you know that Walters and O'Shea were contemplating a move to get Glenn, and for all we know they made an offer to Ottawa, Ottawa said #1 pick and we couldn't do that. So we trade for and sign Willy, Bombers predictably say he was 'their first choice' all along, and you believe it. 

Well, I won't tell you what to believe, or what not to believe. I'm in BlueandGold's corner here all the way. I never wanted Burris either, and I always had a question about Willy, but I am a convert. I personally don't care if he wasn't a choice of Wpg's at all and the whole thing was an accident. I don't care - we got him and hopefully he'll be here for a very long time. From what I've seen of him so far in Blue and Gold is something we haven't had since (and I think it was TBurgess that said it first) Khari was in his prime here. I just hope he lasts longer than Khari did  - shoulders are such a Beotch

Then the talk was would the bombers pursue Kevin Glenn. I can't recall the exact timing but it was at least a week, if not longer, before the Bombers even traded for Willy's rights so you know that Walters and O'Shea were contemplating a move to get Glenn, and for all we know they made an offer to Ottawa, Ottawa said #1 pick and we couldn't do that. So we trade for and sign Willy, Bombers predictably say he was 'their first choice' all along, and you believe it.

Burris' signing was announced on February 2 and the trade and extension of Willy was announced on February 4.

Burris' signing was announced on February 2 and the trade and extension of Willy was announced on February 4.

Proved wrong again. Ouch. I love how people skew facts in an effort to make themselves appear that they know what they are talking about. Minor correction though Jacquie, it was February 6. Most definitely not "at least a week, if not longer."

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/blue-bomber-aquire-quarterback-drew-willy-from-riders-sign-him-to-extension

Proved wrong again. Ouch. I love how people skew facts in an effort to make themselves appear that they know what they are talking about. Minor correction though Jacquie, it was February 6. Most definitely not "at least a week, if not longer."

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/blue-bomber-aquire-quarterback-drew-willy-from-riders-sign-him-to-extension

nice - I thought it was a week, going by memory. 4 days, close :) but I'm still right either way no sense in arguing it as in where Willy was in the pecking order. To prove me wrong, show me that Willy was traded for BEFORE Collaros/Burris transactions, then we can talk. :)

Who gives a fack of he was the third choice.

He is with us now and played great quit complaining!

agreed - i'm not complaining, never was. Mentioned he was the third choice and good on us, then all of a sudden OTHERS started 'complaining' he was our first choice according to the bombers. It's already proven via timelines Brandon, the order of things, and yes I don't care (as I've said many times) as we got the right one even if, as I said, he was a mistake. 

As I said in the game day chat Willy has double the amount of TDs then Goltz had all of last year , tossed for more yards then him etc...

Already the qbs are better then what we had last season. So even if Willy stinks it up its already better then last year.