Drew Willy

Brandon

We went hard after Collaros, but even more money didn't trump Hamilton's advantages and we went hard after Burris but were outbid by a large margin (Ottawa overpaid IMHO).

The Bombers aren't on record saying Willy was their first choice.  After we lost out on Collaros and Burris O'Shea said that MacManus liked Willy.  That morphed into Willy was our first choice all along, but not until after we lost out on the other two.

It really doesn't matter in the long run if Willy was #1, #2, or #3.  What matters is Willy is the one we got. and he's looked great so far.  

I was in the Collaros camp up to he signed with Hamilton. Would the Offense look better if Collaros was there instead of Willy? No one knows.

All I can say is, after what Willy has shown during the pre-season and last night, I'm glad we have Willy now.

The Bombers aren't on record saying Willy was their first choice.  After we lost out on Collaros and Burris O'Shea said that MacManus liked Willy.  That morphed into Willy was our first choice all along, but not until after we lost out on the other two.

Actually they are. Walters said at the time Willy was acquired that he was the guy.

I was in the Collaros camp up to he signed with Hamilton. Would the Offense look better if Collaros was there instead of Willy? No one knows.

All I can say is, after what Willy has shown during the pre-season and last night, I'm glad we have Willy now.

Obviously impossible to answer that, but the main advantage I would previously have given Collaros is his scrambling ability and how he can extend plays because of it.  That advantage still holds true, Willy is not that style of QB, but what Willy can do (which I did not expect - at least at this level) is move around the pocket with great fluidity.  He also does not panic when flushed from the pocket.  Re-watching the first exhibition game from Toronto I was reminded of Aaron Rodgers  when I watched Willy; specifically how he keeps his feet moving while scanning downfield, always resetting so he's in the best possible throwing stance.  He doesn't have the same small hops that Rodgers does, but the end result is the same.  Find target - fire.

Obviously impossible to answer that, but the main advantage I would previously have given Collaros is his scrambling ability and how he can extend plays because of it.  That advantage still holds true, Willy is not that style of QB, but what Willy can do (which I did not expect - at least at this level) is move around the pocket with great fluidity.  He also does not panic when flushed from the pocket.  Re-watching the first exhibition game from Toronto I was reminded of Aaron Rodgers  when I watched Willy; specifically how he keeps his feet moving while scanning downfield, always resetting so he's in the best possible throwing stance.  He doesn't have the same small hops that Rodgers does, but the end result is the same.  Find target - fire.

Willy can scramble too and he shown that in one play during the first pre-season game. But why utilize the scrambling ability if he can make throws from the pocket. Just reserve it until the time it's actually needed and to surprise defenses.

Willy can scramble too and he shown that in one play during the first pre-season game. But why utilize the scrambling ability if he can make throws from the pocket. Just reserve it until the time it's actually needed and to surprise defenses.

Well, the scrambling that he showed in that game is exactly what I expected out of him - unaccounted for, 20 yards of open space, run as fast as I can forward until it's time to hit the deck.  Collaros has the ability to make people miss and is a significantly better runner.  Willy makes the best use of his feet when he's not trying to be a ball carrier.  But yes, in a pinch he can remind defences they can't cheat when it comes to accounting for the QB.

I just want to say, I was sort of upset when we missed on Collaros, and were "stuck" with Willy. I'm so happy I was SO wrong...

Man did Drew look good out there

I wouldn't say you were wrong, he was my pick too. Willy was two - best part is Willy was #3 for the bombers (they wanted Burris after Collaros went to Hamilton). It's cliche but so true in a lot of cases, and it is here - sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. We missed on Collaros, and we lost out on Burris. 

Not sure why people continue to claim that Willy was the third choice for the Bombers out of the three available quarterbacks. Collaros and Burris were pursued first because they were available first. It was well publicized that ideally we wanted both Willy and Burris but obviously that didn't pan out with the ridiculous contract he signed in Ottawa. The team is on record as saying Willy is the player they coveted most. No it's not because he's the one we ended up with but rather because he is simply the best quarterback of the three (what a novel concept), and I would have said that before last night as well without hesitation.

Yes, and you did. I say it because of what I read and saw on the news - that the bombers wanted Collaros, and when Hamilton cut Burris then signed Collaros, the bombers went after Burris. So when Burris signed with Ottawa, Wpg made the trade with Sk to get Willy's rights and sign him. Sorry Mr. P - but if the Bomber had traded for his rights, which they easily could have done, prior to the Collaros / Burris drama, then it would be obvious he was our 'first' choice. But really, at the end of the day, what does it matter. I dare say we got the best one in the end and that's all that counts :)

Actually they are. Walters said at the time Willy was acquired that he was the guy.

Man it sucks when the truth to totally crushes someone's argument... But, wait for "well of COURSE they are going to say that after the trade..."

Man it sucks when the truth to totally crushes someone's argument... But, wait for "well of COURSE they are going to say that after the trade..."

Oh I fully expect it - They'd say why not make that statement right off the start, totally ignoring the position that would put Walters in in terms of negotiations not just with Willy, but with Collaros and Burris as well.

The scary thing for other CFL teams is Drew's upside. He'll keep getting better & better as he gains experience. . 

This is true, Willy has tremendous upside but for how many years do the Bombers actually have him under contract and what are his NFL ambitions?  If Collaros had or has NFL ambitions and he generates interest I imagine Willy will have the same opportunities as he's a model of a classic NFL QB.  Who's to say Willy will even be here after 2015 and how far can the Bombers ascend in 2 years???

With the new CBA I suppose 5 year contracts are a thing of the past?

"mobile" qurterbacks who extend the play are over rated. Give me pocket presence and compsure over a "dual threat" any day.

"mobile" qurterbacks who extend the play are over rated. Give me pocket presence and compsure over a "dual threat" any day.

A true dual threat is a hell of a weapon. There's a long history of those types flat out dominating the CFL. The key is that they must be able to pass and not just be a runner who can occasionally make a throw. 

The Burris offer was insane & done to make sure Winnipeg never signed him. That being said, I don't want the Bombers being led by a 39 year old qb. In a year or two, we'd be back to square one searching for a quarterback again. I don't know about you guys but from what I saw of Thomas DeMarco last season I'm not convinced he's good enough to be the quarterback of the future for Ottawa when Hank retires. He gets hurt this season or retires the redblacks are in big trouble.

Obviously impossible to answer that, but the main advantage I would previously have given Collaros is his scrambling ability and how he can extend plays because of it. That advantage still holds true, Willy is not that style of QB, but what Willy can do (which I did not expect - at least at this level) is move around the pocket with great fluidity. He also does not panic when flushed from the pocket. Re-watching the first exhibition game from Toronto I was reminded of Aaron Rodgers when I watched Willy; specifically how he keeps his feet moving while scanning downfield, always resetting so he's in the best possible throwing stance. He doesn't have the same small hops that Rodgers does, but the end result is the same. Find target - fire.

A true dual threat is a hell of a weapon. There's a long history of those types flat out dominating the CFL. The key is that they must be able to pass and not just be a runner who can occasionally make a throw.

On the spectrum of how much/well a QB runs, going from Manning-----Rodgers------Vick, I think the middle group is ideally suited to succeed in the CFL. The big field will gives these guys the opportunity to run, but if you're first intinct is to pull it down and take off you're going to miss out on plays.

Of course any style can succeed in the CFL, but the number good runners that have succeeded up here suggests there's something to be said for that skill in particular.

Can we sticky this thread? It will be fun to read when Willy has a bad game and everyone is saying how they always knew how crappy he was.

For those few who are detached enough from reality to believe that the team is going to play that well in every game from now on, Willy (along with the rest of the team) is going to have more than one crappy game this season. As much fun as it was to watch the last game, there are going to be games when we are going to get flashbacks to 2012 and 2013, so lets look for improvement and keep the past couple of years fresh in our memories for awhile.

Can we sticky this thread? It will be fun to read when Willy has a bad game and everyone is saying how they always knew how crappy he was.

For those few who are detached enough from reality to believe that the team is going to play that well in every game from now on, Willy (along with the rest of the team) is going to have more than one crappy game this season. As much fun as it was to watch the last game, there are going to be games when we are going to get flashbacks to 2012 and 2013, so lets look for improvement and keep the past couple of years fresh in our memories for awhile.

I've locked the game on my PVR. I can go back to it after a crappy game.