Goltz Named Starter For Rest Of Season

Atomic

Now that the decision has been made, the coaches better be working on a game plan to utilize Goltz's skill set. Surely to god they O line has enough beef to work together to open a small hole for Simpson. Once he gets through, he should be able to make yards. Rolls outs, toss out and what not, should keep the defense off the field and rested. Here's a novel idea. Don't throw for 5 yards when you need 8 and how about a series of 10 yard throws. A string of first downs and the next thing you know, you're in the end zone. No need to throw 40 yard bombs all game. Mix it to hell up!

Here are my issues:

- Who made the call?  Burke and Buck are clearly not on the same page with what their conversation was about.  Burke did not seem confident in his decision (was he told to do this?)

- Why make this call at all?  The team is such a circus right now,  If Goltz sucks the next three games, then what?  If Hall goes in and is terrible, then what?  Do they have another presser to announce Buck is the new starting QB?  It puts undue pressure on Goltz and unduly assigns blame to Buck and creates a huge distraction the team doesn't need.  What they should have done is said "Buck is a bit banged up though he could play and we feel Goltz showed enough to warrant another start", then you sit down privately with Buck and explain that no one is officially number 1".  And if you have to make some grand proclamation, do it during the bye week.

- I'm a Buck guy but even I noticed he seems to lock in on a guy or force the ball down field or hesitate.  It's entirely possible the multiple concussions have impacted his brain functions in such a way that would not be noticiable on a day to day basis, but as a pro athlete who needs to react and make decisions in split seconds, could be playing a part here.  If so, that is terribly sad for Buck.

- Where is the GM and CEO during this disaster.  I almost wonder if Clown Shoe Buchko has already made the decision to fire Mack next week (and Mack knows) hence no reason to be publicly owning this mess.

- Who made the call? It doesn't really make that much of a difference if it's the right call. I imagine this decision was made by Burke, not Mack.

- Why make this call at all? Because Buck is clearly not getting the job done, even when he is healthy. His injury history speaks for itself, as do his numbers (see Mike's post re: Buck's stats over his past 18 appearances).

- I'm a Buck guy. I'm so sorry.

- Where is the GM and CEO during this disaster? In their offices, doing their day to day work, I figure.

- Who made the call? It doesn't really make that much of a difference if it's the right call. I imagine this decision was made by Burke, not Mack.

- Why make this call at all? Because Buck is clearly not getting the job done, even when he is healthy. His injury history speaks for itself, as do his numbers (see Mike's post re: Buck's stats over his past 18 appearances).

- I'm a Buck guy. I'm so sorry.

- Where is the GM and CEO during this disaster? In their offices, doing their day to day work, I figure.

Why spend the time to respond with a post like that?  :rolleyes:

- I'm a Buck guy but even I noticed he seems to lock in on a guy or force the ball down field or hesitate.  It's entirely possible the multiple concussions have impacted his brain functions in such a way that would not be noticiable on a day to day basis, but as a pro athlete who needs to react and make decisions in split seconds, could be playing a part here.  If so, that is terribly sad for Buck.

How many concusions has he had? I didn't think it was that many (but understand that one is more than enough). I'd hate to see him go through what Dunnigan does.

Why spend the time to respond with a post like that?  :rolleyes:

Sorry, I forgot cheeky emoticons to express the playful nature of my response... Did you actually want a response, or are you just asking rhetorical questions to nobody in particular?

As a fellow fan I'm legit sorry for you that you're a self-described 'Buck guy'. I wanted so bad to see him succeed for his sake and for the sake of the Bombers, but that's clearly not in the cards.

But really, why make this call at all? Forgive me if I'm failing to grasp your point, but that sounds like you'd rather see them stick with Buck at least til the bye week. I wholeheartedly disagree with you if that's the case, he should have been demoted at the very least back in the off season, and Goltz should be getting the starters share of reps RFN. I stand by my remark that it's the right call to make so it doesn't matter who made it. And you know what this team need even less than 'more distractions'? More losses. Something had to give and soon. This was the best move they've made all season.

I meant why make a grand proclamation about the starters job?  It's not like Goltz has shown anything to indicate he's a legitimate starting QB in this league.  They've painted themselves into a corner.  Goltz *must* play well and bring success or else management looks foolish.  What are they going to do if Goltz plays poorly, make another grand proclamation that Max Hall is the starter?  Announce Buck is back baby?  Ridiculous.  This managment doesnt have a clue.

Now the Eric Tillman rumour is officially out there (per Rod Pedersen), its just another indication that the government needs to step in and get rid of this Board.

I meant why make a grand proclamation about the starters job?  It's not like Goltz has shown anything to indicate he's a legitimate starting QB in this league.  They've painted themselves into a corner.  Goltz *must* play well and bring success or else management looks foolish.  What are they going to do if Goltz plays poorly, make another grand proclamation that Max Hall is the starter?  Announce Buck is back baby?  Ridiculous.  This managment doesnt have a clue.

Now the Eric Tillman rumour is officially out there (per Rod Pedersen), its just another indication that the government needs to step in and get rid of this Board.

Pedersen constantly pulls rumours out of his ass.  He's got one of the worst track records around as far as rumour reporting goes.

I meant why make a grand proclamation about the starters job?  It's not like Goltz has shown anything to indicate he's a legitimate starting QB in this league.  They've painted themselves into a corner.  Goltz *must* play well and bring success or else management looks foolish.  What are they going to do if Goltz plays poorly, make another grand proclamation that Max Hall is the starter? 

Yes, Max Hall should be next in line. Under no circumstances should Pierce ever start a game for this team again.

Mgmt already made themselves look foolish naming Pierce as our starter going into the season. Doubling down on the error by keeping him as our starter is much worse than handing the team over to unproven guys. I'd rather run with guys who we don't know much about than somebody we know well enough to be sure he isn't the answer.

It's a vote of confidence for Goltz, which he deserves. This is the proper way to develop a QB. He's had time to develop in our system and now they feel he's earned the job without having to deal with the same **** guys like Brink and Elliott did on a weekly basis. This is really the proper way to do it. Saying he's the starting QB for the rest of the year gives him a chance to work through issues without feeling like he is at risk.

The government?  The government ruins everything it touches.  I don't ever want the government involved in pro-sports, other than funding infrastructure and then getting the hell out of the way.

The grand proclamation is so that Goltz knows he is the starter, which gives him added confidence in doing the job. This back and forth wishy washy, Buck is hurt, no he isn't, why isn't he be performing better, when virtually all knowledgeable fans can see that he is only a shell of his former self, is nothing but detrimental to the team, for fans, managment, and players. Good for them for finally making a hard decision that should have been made long ago.

You think they were never painted in a corner? They were with Buck until they found the balls to do the right thing. Who cares if Justin isn't the answer, so they try Hall. At least this way we'll know where we stand and can make a plan for the future. What you are intimating is they should stay with the status quo...which gets us absolutely no where now and for the future!

I hope we get an announcement today that we signed another QB with some CFL experience so we CAN cut Buck.  It should have happened at this time last year or at least in the off season.  I don't want an angry QB who thinks he should be the starter mentoring anyone.  It's this kind of 'Vet Presence' that we need to get rid of, not keep around just in case the Goltz decision doesn't work out.  It free's up some needed SMS room too.

I'm happy that Gotlz is getting the starts, but the Bombers did paint themselves into a corner by announcing that Goltz is the starting QB for the rest of the season after his first CFL start.  Lots of QB's look like world beaters in their first starts (Dinwiddie) then turn into 'what ever happened to?' guys.  A better choice would have been to say that Goltz did enough in his first start to give him a second start even know Buck is 'probably' ready to go and could come off the bench if needed.  The only downside, is we would have to keep Buck on the roster, but we are doing that anyway so no big deal IMHO.

I am worried that changing out the QB will give Crowton a pass.  It's a built in excuse to say 'we have to change the offense to match Gotlz's abilities' so we should give our OC more time.  The bye week is the best/only time to change out OC's, but I doubt we do now so we will be stuck with Crowton for the rest of the year.

The government are the ones with the power to change the BOD. 

I remember a lot of people on these boards demanding we cut Kevin Glenn, demanding he never start another game.  One of the reasons we're in the mess we are is because we cut Kevin Glenn.  So I'm not ready to CUT the only experienced CFL starting QB with talent (and you can argue the level of talent but he is talented) we have and proclaim Goltz the starter.  That's pure idiocy.  He's done nothing to prove he's the Starter.  I hope he leads us to ten Grey Cups, but we're hanging our future on a wing & prayer right now.

I hope we get an announcement today that we signed another QB with some CFL experience so we CAN cut Buck.  It should have happened at this time last year or at least in the off season.  I don't want an angry QB who thinks he should be the starter mentoring anyone.  It's this kind of 'Vet Presence' that we need to get rid of, not keep around just in case the Goltz decision doesn't work out.  It free's up some needed SMS room too.

I'm happy that Gotlz is getting the starts, but the Bombers did paint themselves into a corner by announcing that Goltz is the starting QB for the rest of the season after his first CFL start.  Lots of QB's look like world beaters in their first starts (Dinwiddie) then turn into 'what ever happened to?' guys.  A better choice would have been to say that Goltz did enough in his first start to give him a second start even know Buck is 'probably' ready to go and could come off the bench if needed.  The only downside, is we would have to keep Buck on the roster, but we are doing that anyway so no big deal IMHO.

I am worried that changing out the QB will give Crowton a pass.  It's a built in excuse to say 'we have to change the offense to match Gotlz's abilities' so we should give our OC more time.  The bye week is the best/only time to change out OC's, but I doubt we do now so we will be stuck with Crowton for the rest of the year.

If we fire Crowton who do we replace him with?  Unless Mack goes to Lapo, hat in hand, we have no one to replace him with.  Just as we have no one to replace Mack and no one to replace Burke.

If we fire Crowton who do we replace him with?  Unless Mack goes to Lapo, hat in hand, we have no one to replace him with.  Just as we have no one to replace Mack and no one to replace Burke.

You're happy going forward with Crowton just because you don't know who to replace him with?  A monkey throwing poop at a play chart on the wall couldn't do much worse IMHO.  Keeping someone who isn't doing a good job is foolish.