Hawkins Fired In Mtl, Popp To Take Over As Hc

Fraser

CFL.ca Staff

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Alouettes announced on Thursday that they have relieved Head Coach Dan Hawkins of his duties. Owner Bob Wetenhall has asked General Manager Jim Popp to assume the head-coaching role in addition to his other responsibilities.

"Jim is the person most responsible for the success we have had over all these years," explained Wetenhall.

"I feel confident that he is the best person to coach our team at this time and I am very appreciative of him being willing to make this additional contribution to our franchise. He has the respect of our players as well as mine."

More to come...

I knew it would happen as soon as I saw Hawkins' first interview. That is one weird dude, definitely not cut out for coaching pro football.

Although I am surprised Popp is taking over rather than handing he reins to Doug Berry.

Nah, Popp knows his own limitations. Berry will be highly involved in things, if only behind the scenes. 

If they gas the OC too then Berry may get the OC or ass't HC title. 

Als just got better. 

Nah, Popp knows his own limitations. Berry will be highly involved in things, if only behind the scenes. 

If they gas the OC too then Berry may get the OC or ass't HC title. 

Als just got better. 

Maybe, maybe not.  It's not like Popp has had a whole lot of success as the HC in the past.

This makes the Als better, if only because AC will now play up to his full potential, rather than the limitations put on him by  Hawkins' atrocious excuse for an offense. If AC is allowed to go back to what he likes to do (...and Doug Berry knows all to well how to make AC effective again...) then look out.....

I was bullish on the Bombers getting their act together and taking advantage of a season-long Als implosion.

Now the Als should be at least a .500 club, making the TiCats the only team we can realistically catch.  

Lucky EDM is so lame otherwise we'd have the cross-over to worry about, too.

Classless? When u r in the business of winning football games and coaches contracts are bought out how can u call this classless. We're both Hawkins and Cortez bad HC hires yes but the sound business de is ion was to make a business decision and move on. The BOD of the Bombers are hoping things get better....how has that plan worked so far fellas?

Classless? When u r in the business of winning football games and coaches contracts are bought out how can u call this classless. We're both Hawkins and Cortez bad HC hires yes but the sound business de is ion was to make a business decision and move on. The BOD of the Bombers are hoping things get better....how has that plan worked so far fellas?

clearly you aren't in on the joke.