Messam

Floyd

If we are going to DI a RB then signing Messam wouldn't make as much any sense.

Which looks like the plan.  And having thought about the plan, I understand it and agree with it.

He's still an upgrade on Volny however.

I think the only person who would argue that is his mother.

And Volny might be standing behind her going "mom - shhhhhhhh".

The point we're trying to make is that if you sign Messam you don't have to DI Ford and he is actually valuable because we have no other backs who can pound it like him...

Another Joe Smith is easy enough to get if we want him.

No, we wouldn't have to DI Ford.  OShea isn't DI-ing Ford because he feels forced to, he's DI-ing Ford because he wants to.  At least within the confines of the team we currently have.

Also if we had Messam as our game day back up, we could DI a returner like Woods, and have a DL, LB, and DB all as di's as well.

There's the rub - all these defensive DI's don't improve our defense.  Every time a DI goes in another import comes out.  Every time.  This is what I'm saying; Messam being better than Volny is irrelevant because adding Messam doesn't make the Bombers better.  Injuries are always a wild card.  Right now we have more NI depth in our secondary than I can recall in a long time.  Ever?  OShea is going to take advantage of that.  The secondary probably does not get a DI.  Not every positional group gets to have a DI backup in the CFL.  You pick your poison.  OShea doesn't want his poison to be an ineffective offence.

Basically it adds a lot more versatility to the roster, because Messam is a GOOD Canadian RB.

He's been cut a few times now, so how good he is must be pretty debatable, no one cuts a good NI RB.

Here's what adds the most versatility to the roster.

- Don't sign Messam.

- Cut Volny.

- DI whichever RB.

- Keep the best NI special teams player you can find in Volny's roster spot.

- Pray our starting RB and his backup never both get injured in the same game (has only happened once that I can remember in 30some years of watching the Bombers).

- Accept the Pontbriand will play the last quarter of football as RB if lightning strikes twice.  It's not even a bad compromise.  He has decent hands and no one covers him.

None of this has ever been an argument for Volny.  Why would anyone make that argument?  The only argument is that Messam doesn't help the Bombers.

If you prefer Ford to Woods on returns then that's fine, Messam still is a hell of a lot more valuable then Carl Volny no matter which way you slice it.

My expectation is that the Bombers will have multiple guys handling returns as they have had for many years, but someone will see the bulk of the work.  It might be Ford, but that's not the reason for DI-ing him.  The reason for giving him a DI spot (or Grigsby) is to not have an impotent offence that flounders and gets it's kinda-rookie QB killed.  It's to have an offence that can create and sustain drives, rather than stall over and over.  How has the offence looked so far?  I'm going to throw out effective as my adjective of choice.

Take note of all the complaints there has been about our offensive coordinator so far this month.  I can't recall one.  Most of Bomber nation was disgusted when he was hired, and I'm sure they'd be pretty quick to point out all the failings of his offence.  So far, no takers.

Using a DI spot on a RB seems to be a pretty good plan, since giving Willy the best possible chance to succeed in this offence seems like a pretty good plan.  And if we use a DI spot on a RB, which is a plan I like based on a concept I like, then having Messam anywhere on our roster is largely a wasted roster spot.

If he was good enough to be a starter he would have tremendous value, just like he did when...he was a starter.  Otherwise, he doesn't make any kind of positive contribution to our ratio woes.  Unless we commit to having 6 NIs on offence and put the rotation there instead of on defence, a rotation featuring Messam, Goossen, and Feoli-G.  That has value in terms of positively affecting our ratio, but has negative value in terms of giving Willy the best possible chance to succeed.  OShea seems to be giving that the higher priority.  When Goossen is good enough, they will just stick him in.  No rotation.

There are no points you have raised that I haven't considered.  I have given them ample consideration and followed them thru to their logical conclusions.  The end result comes back to Messam being better is not the same thing as Messam makes the Bombers better.  Just like everyone else, when Messam popped free my thought was "Messam - I recognize that name! Sign him!".

Having him back up our starting RB and DI-ing a DB weakens the offence relative to one of our imports handling the job, and this is an offence that already features starters that get bitched about all the time like Morley and Neufeld.  The offence is a pretty fragile ecosystem.  Give it the best possible chance to thrive.  That is what OShea is doing.

Also note - not showing up anywhere in my argument:

- Volny's value to this team.

- Messam's salary.

On 2nd and 6 I would rather have Messam and a 4th international receiver than Grigsby and Kohlert.

Why? Kohlert is a good receiver.

And its grigsby for a week... If that. And everyone keeps grasping at the hope that messam would be old messam... I think hes old messam in the fact he is getting older, slower and no where near as dominant... And STILL doesnt play ST or block all that well..

On 2nd and 6 I would rather have Messam and a 4th international receiver than Grigsby and Kohlert.

Can't really argue a personal preference.

But I will point out that:

- Grigsby is unlikely to be on the Bombers roster in any situation where injuries haven't occurred, so picking our weakest import RB to compare with Messam paints Messam in a favourable light only until you realize who he's being compared to, then it really paints him in an unfavourable light.

- Messam hasn't been a lock to convert 2nd and 6 since 2011.  That's why he keeps getting cut.

- Kohlert was really the only NI receiver we all liked last year.  "Watson is too injured".  "Etienne is too...Etienne".  Kohlert was the porridge we all agreed was just right.  Not sure why you're picking on him.

Nonetheless, I don't hate your suggestion.  It's not totally without merit.  It is still a weaker choice than DI-ing our RB and using Kohlert.  In my opinion.  And apparently, the coach's opinion and management's opinion.

If we have him on our roster we have the option of changing our minds later.  I guess there's that.

And by the way, big thanks for using specific examples.

Specific examples of something that hasn't happened and likely never will?  Where's the face palm emoticon?  

You somehow managed to do THE IMPOSSIBLE!!!

If we are going to DI a RB then signing Messam wouldn't make as much any sense.

Which looks like the plan.  And having thought about the plan, I understand it and agree with it.

He's still an upgrade on Volny however.

I think the only person who would argue that is his mother.

And Volny might be standing behind her going "mom - shhhhhhhh".

The point we're trying to make is that if you sign Messam you don't have to DI Ford and he is actually valuable because we have no other backs who can pound it like him...

Another Joe Smith is easy enough to get if we want him.

No, we wouldn't have to DI Ford.  OShea isn't DI-ing Ford because he feels forced to, he's DI-ing Ford because he wants to.  At least within the confines of the team we currently have.

Also if we had Messam as our game day back up, we could DI a returner like Woods, and have a DL, LB, and DB all as di's as well.

There's the rub - all these defensive DI's don't improve our defense.  Every time a DI goes in another import comes out.  Every time.  This is what I'm saying; Messam being better than Volny is irrelevant because adding Messam doesn't make the Bombers better.  Injuries are always a wild card.  Right now we have more NI depth in our secondary than I can recall in a long time.  Ever?  OShea is going to take advantage of that.  The secondary probably does not get a DI.  Not every positional group gets to have a DI backup in the CFL.  You pick your poison.  OShea doesn't want his poison to be an ineffective offence.

Basically it adds a lot more versatility to the roster, because Messam is a GOOD Canadian RB.

He's been cut a few times now, so how good he is must be pretty debatable, no one cuts a good NI RB.

Here's what adds the most versatility to the roster.

- Don't sign Messam.

- Cut Volny.

- DI whichever RB.

- Keep the best NI special teams player you can find in Volny's roster spot.

- Pray our starting RB and his backup never both get injured in the same game (has only happened once that I can remember in 30some years of watching the Bombers).

- Accept the Pontbriand will play the last quarter of football as RB if lightning strikes twice.  It's not even a bad compromise.  He has decent hands and no one covers him.

None of this has ever been an argument for Volny.  Why would anyone make that argument?  The only argument is that Messam doesn't help the Bombers.

If you prefer Ford to Woods on returns then that's fine, Messam still is a hell of a lot more valuable then Carl Volny no matter which way you slice it.

My expectation is that the Bombers will have multiple guys handling returns as they have had for many years, but someone will see the bulk of the work.  It might be Ford, but that's not the reason for DI-ing him.  The reason for giving him a DI spot (or Grigsby) is to not have an impotent offence that flounders and gets it's kinda-rookie QB killed.  It's to have an offence that can create and sustain drives, rather than stall over and over.  How has the offence looked so far?  I'm going to throw out effective as my adjective of choice.

Take note of all the complaints there has been about our offensive coordinator so far this month.  I can't recall one.  Most of Bomber nation was disgusted when he was hired, and I'm sure they'd be pretty quick to point out all the failings of his offence.  So far, no takers.

Using a DI spot on a RB seems to be a pretty good plan, since giving Willy the best possible chance to succeed in this offence seems like a pretty good plan.  And if we use a DI spot on a RB, which is a plan I like based on a concept I like, then having Messam anywhere on our roster is largely a wasted roster spot.

If he was good enough to be a starter he would have tremendous value, just like he did when...he was a starter.  Otherwise, he doesn't make any kind of positive contribution to our ratio woes.  Unless we commit to having 6 NIs on offence and put the rotation there instead of on defence, a rotation featuring Messam, Goossen, and Feoli-G.  That has value in terms of positively affecting our ratio, but has negative value in terms of giving Willy the best possible chance to succeed.  OShea seems to be giving that the higher priority.  When Goossen is good enough, they will just stick him in.  No rotation.

There are no points you have raised that I haven't considered.  I have given them ample consideration and followed them thru to their logical conclusions.  The end result comes back to Messam being better is not the same thing as Messam makes the Bombers better.  Just like everyone else, when Messam popped free my thought was "Messam - I recognize that name! Sign him!".

Having him back up our starting RB and DI-ing a DB weakens the offence relative to one of our imports handling the job, and this is an offence that already features starters that get bitched about all the time like Morley and Neufeld.  The offence is a pretty fragile ecosystem.  Give it the best possible chance to thrive.  That is what OShea is doing.

Also note - not showing up anywhere in my argument:

- Volny's value to this team.

- Messam's salary.

This post is so flawed.

DI'ing a DB is a very good Idea. You want Derek Jones playing half back if Washington goes down in a game?

Having three DI's on Defence guarantees we still have great depth at all position in case of injury.

Messam adds a different Dimension. You talk about DI'ing Ford instead of Woods... Great, I personally prefer that plan as well. But neither Ford nor Cotton can pound the ball on second and 2 like Messam Can, or on Goal line stands... Messam is a one Dimensional Back, But he is arguably the best at that Dimension. You cant Tell me that Pontbriand is as good as a former 1000 yard RB.

The reason why he is being Cut, is because he is a one dimensional Back, Not because he is a bad player. Possible Attitude Issues, but who better than to clear that up than O'Shea?

Weather you choose to admit it or not, Messam Makes our team better... And I sure as hell hope we DI a DB.

By the way, I really wish you would stop painting me in this light of wanting Messam "just because I've heard of him". I follow this leaue closely enough to know the names of the majority of the players and what they are capable of so this is kind of insulting to me

This has been an interesting debate... personally I'd be indifferent to this signing.... neither Messam nor Volny would add a lot to the offense and both would be marginal ST players.... though Messam as a short yardage back is intriguing....

And I agree with James about this "just cuz I've heard of him" business... most people here are avid CFL fans who know a lot more about Messam than just his name... maybe to the casual fan, but I'd give most folks here more credit than that...

And I agree with James about this "just cuz I've heard of him" business... most people here are avid CFL fans who know a lot more about Messam than just his name... maybe to the casual fan, but I'd give most folks here more credit than that...

I'd have to agree with that.  I believe that mbrg is just more familiar with the "official" forum, where that kind of feeling might actually be valid.  I would wager that everyone here knows exactly who Messam is and what he is capable of.  It's not just a name-recognition thing.

I'm willing to bet that a team will pick up Messam shortly for the season and he makes a positive contribution on play as he's still a very good athlete.  Don't know what kind of personality he has but two things to consider, giving him an opportunity and redemption.  Don't like the notion of evaluating a players worth solely on paper as a lot of interesting things can happen when they get their hands on the dirty old pig skin. 

Denmark redeemed himself last season maybe it's Messam's turn this year.  It's always a gamble but what are the odds?

Can't really argue a personal preference.

But I will point out that:

- Grigsby is unlikely to be on the Bombers roster in any situation where injuries haven't occurred, so picking our weakest import RB to compare with Messam paints Messam in a favourable light only until you realize who he's being compared to, then it really paints him in an unfavourable light.

- Messam hasn't been a lock to convert 2nd and 6 since 2011.  That's why he keeps getting cut.

- Kohlert was really the only NI receiver we all liked last year.  "Watson is too injured".  "Etienne is too...Etienne".  Kohlert was the porridge we all agreed was just right.  Not sure why you're picking on him.

Nonetheless, I don't hate your suggestion.  It's not totally without merit.  It is still a weaker choice than DI-ing our RB and using Kohlert.  In my opinion.  And apparently, the coach's opinion and management's opinion.

If we have him on our roster we have the option of changing our minds later.  I guess there's that.

And by the way, big thanks for using specific examples.

Specific examples of something that hasn't happened and likely never will?  Where's the face palm emoticon?  

You somehow managed to do THE IMPOSSIBLE!!!

This is the exact reason why specific examples don't make any sense.  Person A says this would be better.  You say no it wouldn't.  Neither side can prove the other is wrong, so the argument continues.  No one's changing anyone's mind at this point, so it's time to let it go.

The big picture is more important than the details.  Messam > Volny = Upgrade.  Messam Short Yardage = Upgrade  Messam allows choice of DI = Upgrade.  Upgrade of talent = Better chance of more wins.  1 Additional win might = playoff vs no playoff.

I think the Bombers have pretty well charted their RB course so far and it fits with the offence they're trying to run.

This new guy, Bolton, if Penton can be believed, has "dazzling" speed and apparently good hands, and fits the type MB is looking for I would guess.

As to Messam, it's definitely the wrong time to think about signing him as we're in the midst of setting up our roster through these final practices.

Maybe later…but probably not.

Either way, the results I've seen from the RBs is encouraging and that includes the blocking for them.

Good balance so far.

This post is so flawed.

Shrug.  It has less spelling errors than yours, so there's that at least.

DI'ing a DB is a very good Idea. You want Derek Jones playing half back if Washington goes down in a game?

Why do all your examples feature the lowest person on the depth chart?  Do you have that little faith in the argument you're trying to present?

Having three DI's on Defence guarantees we still have great depth at all position in case of injury.

At all positions on defence.  Not at all positions.  Having a DI for every position on the field would be ideal.  Ideal is not possible.  Our team has little NI depth everywhere.  Where is the most?  I'll argue it's in our secondary.  Where do you think it is?

Messam adds a different Dimension.

Of course he does.  He's a basher.  We don't have a basher.  If we wanted a smashmouth RB on our roster, they're really not that tough to find.  I suspect we would have seen one in camp if that was an element our offence was supposed to feature.

You talk about DI'ing Ford instead of Woods... Great, I personally prefer that plan as well. But neither Ford nor Cotton can pound the ball on second and 2 like Messam Can, or on Goal line stands... Messam is a one Dimensional Back, But he is arguably the best at that Dimension. You cant Tell me that Pontbriand is as good as a former 1000 yard RB.

Ford is on our roster, that is the only reason I've used his name.  Maybe I'll use Bolton instead, since he doesn't carry any emotional baggage for Bomber fans.

Messam is the best at that dimension only if you continue to list people you already know aren't as good as him.  That's the third time you've done that in your pro-Messam arguments.  I have complete confidence that if we wanted to have a smashmouth RB on our roster McManus could provide us with a list of 100 better choices than Messam by days end.  And they would all be imports.

That is the entire point.  The Bombers have decided that they don't want to lower their standards on offence just to fit in a NI.  If all goes according to plan, no NI will carry the ball this year, barring a rash of injuries during a game, a trick play, or a reward for good work on special teams or blocking.

If our roster was constructed differently, if we had a couple of stud NI Dlinemen we can rotate, then it actually becomes easier to fit Messam in.  I know that is entirely counter-intuitive, but it's about how the 44 puzzle pieces fit together, not just about 1 piece being an upgrade.

The reason why he is being Cut, is because he is a one dimensional Back, Not because he is a bad player. Possible Attitude Issues, but who better than to clear that up than O'Shea?

I've never mentioned attitude issues.  People who aren't in the locker rooms should never use that argument.  They don't know, they are just pulling stuff out of their butt to justify a weak position.  When Kelly traded Arjei Franklin I saw people imply he was a problem in the locker room.  Arjei Franklin.  Good grief.

Oh ya, anyways, no, a NI who won most outstanding Canadian 3 seasons ago isn't repeatedly getting cut because he is "one-dimensional".  He was always one-dimensional.  I would gladly have had his one-dimensionalness on this team in 2011.

Weather you choose to admit it or not, Messam Makes our team better... And I sure as hell hope we DI a DB.

Hoping we DI a DB is a personal preference.  I would seldom debate a personal preference.  Messam making our team better?  On paper, yes.  With the current plan, no.

So you must not like the current plan.  You must prefer our offence isn't the strongest possible offence we can field.  You prefer we shift some of that strength to the defence at the expense of the offence.  That is an entirely acceptable strategy.  I'm sure the Bombers considered it for quite a while, even before Messam came loose.

Seeing how competitive we've been in games so far, and seeing how effective Willy has looked because we've surrounded him with strength rather than weakness, I like the current plan.  It's far from bulletproof, but I see what they're doing and agree that giving our young QB the best possible chance to succeed is a smart idea.

By the way, I really wish you would stop painting me in this light of wanting Messam "just because I've heard of him". I follow this leaue closely enough to know the names of the majority of the players and what they are capable of so this is kind of insulting to me

I wasn't painting you in that light - I was pointing out that we all are aware that he is a talented player with a history of success.  And a NI.  At first glance I also thought going after him should be a no-brainer.  That is why I also thought having him here was a good idea.  Until I considered what the Bombers are doing on offence, what the plan appears to be, and how Messam might fit in that plan.  Then I realized that he really doesn't, and it's not because of his running style, or even that his skills have obviously diminished.

I still wouldn't be surprised if he ended up here.  It's not like the other plan is a terrible one.  With our roster every NI plan we can make right now is about picking the least bad NI choice out of a collection of bad NI choices.  It's not like signing him just to have him around in case we want to change plans later is a bad default position.  Until we change plans though, he would have no on-field value to this club.  Maybe selling jerseys.  Feeling better about ourselves.  That kinda thing.

Hmmm... wonder why Messam hasn't been signed by anyone yet if he's such a steal...

Hmmm....  Wonder if anyone has called Messam a steal other than you?  (I'd guess no one, but I'm not about to go through 7 pages of comments to find out)

I wonder if any team has worse NI depth than the Bombers?  

Hmmm... wonder why Messam hasn't been signed by anyone yet if he's such a steal...

Hmmm....  Wonder if anyone has called Messam a steal other than you?  (I'd guess no one, but I'm not about to go through 7 pages of comments to find out)

Yes Ottawa and Edmonton do. Next question?

Haaaaaaaaave you met Edmonton?

Ottawa is questionable. Hell, even BC is questionable. Luckily for them, they have Harris but their Canadian depth is bad bad bad.

Sorry, don't have time (or desire) to go through 8 pages (140+ posts...) of what must be repetitive bickering.

One would consider a talented NI available on the open market a steal, no?

Sorry, don't have time (or desire) to go through 8 pages (140+ posts...) of what must be repetitive bickering.

One would consider a talented NI available on the open market a steal, no?

Repetitive bickering is the best band name I've heard today.  Can I use it?  Can you also teach me to play an instrument?

If Messam can show any kind of form like he had 3 seasons ago, then he will be an absolute steal for someone.  And if you can also find a decent backup like Calvin McCarthy, you have yourself a ratio-breaker there.  We don't have a McCarthy (I'm guessing after 7 pages of people bashing Volny they aren't going to start arguing he's as good as McCarthy now) and Messam simply isn't the guy he was 3 seasons ago.

I'm not opposed to rolling the dice on him and seeing if we can't squeak one last useful season out of his nearly empty husk.  It just doesn't fit in our current plan, and I'm growing to like that plan.  I've seen the value in that plan over our last 2 games.

BC has decent NI depth - Westerman, Gore, Ianuzzi/Haydara, Harris, Fabien, Norman, Valli - two or three OL prospects - deeper depending how you feel about JR LaRose

Ottawa is the only team close to being as lean as the bombers... but Shologan, Philips, Gott, Eppele, Deane, Fraser, Carter/Lavoie are a pretty good starting seven - even better if Eppele plays RT and they start four on the line.

Ottawa has really nice DL and decent OL depth.

There simply are no teams with worse NI depth than the bombers.

BC has decent NI depth - Westerman, Gore, Ianuzzi/Haydara, Harris, Fabien, Norman, Valli - two or three OL prospects - deeper depending how you feel about JR LaRose

Ottawa is the only team close to being as lean as the bombers... but Shologan, Philips, Gott, Eppele, Deane, Fraser, Carter/Lavoie are a pretty good starting seven - even better if Eppele plays RT and they start four on the line.

Edmonton?

Edmonton?

Maybe if both Coehoorn and Chambers are injured...

Now that they are going two imports on the OL, they are deep.  Hinds is looking really good, DonnyO has about five or six DL competing for one spot on the line.

You're listing starters, not depth, but nonetheless there are a few guys in your list that seem pretty grass-is-greener type players.  Harris is obviously something we don't have, as is Westerman, even though he's not really a starter in the sense that Doug Brown was a starter.  But he's better than Thomas, the guy we'll be starting.  Gore?  I don't have him as better than Watson.  Ianuzzi?  Not much to separate him from Kohlert from what I've seen.  Valli?  I wouldn't want him at all, and I think BC doesn't badly want him anymore either.  Last year Norman would have been valuable to us, but now patience on Goossen will accomplish the same thing.

Ottawa picked up a bunch of guys who were unprotected because of iffy health.  Maybe they are healthy enough to go and last the whole season.  Hindsight in November will give us the answer on that.  But I still wouldn't put that bunch ahead of ours.  That's just a collection of mystery men.  We don't know what value they have until they finally get a chance to show it.

The Bombers are weak weak weak when you compare them to Calgary, but compared to some of the other bottom feeders, we're kind of in the same boat.

You're listing starters, not depth, but nonetheless there are a few guys in your list that seem pretty grass-is-greener type players.  Harris is obviously something we don't have, as is Westerman, even though he's not really a starter in the sense that Doug Brown was a starter.  But he's better than Thomas, the guy we'll be starting.  Gore?  I don't have him as better than Watson.  Ianuzzi?  Not much to separate him from Kohlert from what I've seen.  Valli?  I wouldn't want him at all, and I think BC doesn't badly want him anymore either.  Last year Norman would have been valuable to us, but now patience on Goossen will accomplish the same thing.

Ottawa picked up a bunch of guys who were unprotected because of iffy health.  Maybe they are healthy enough to go and last the whole season.  Hindsight in November will give us the answer on that.  But I still wouldn't put that bunch ahead of ours.  That's just a collection of mystery men.  We don't know what value they have until they finally get a chance to show it.

The Bombers are weak weak weak when you compare them to Calgary, but compared to some of the other bottom feeders, we're kind of in the same boat.

Gore is like a Watson that doesn't get hurt.  We'll agree to disagree on Ianuzzi and he returns kicks (something that people often overlook, haHA).  BC also has Steward  and Player who I think will turn out really well.  If you like JR LaRose and Parker, you have eight starters.

I'm not saying that BC, Ottawa and Edmonton have great depth... just better than us.