Messam

Floyd

Messam doesn't play Special Teams at anywhere near the level Volny plays special teams

That is the main issue... Volny isn't a superb running back but at least we can have a backup running back who is an excellent special teams player.

With Messam you have a change of pace running back who can't play special teams for ****.

But if you're not asking him to replace Cotton or Ford, what are you asking him to do? Be on the roster exclusively as a backup running back as a change of pace? Don't see it as necessary.

We have zero non-import depth.

Sign Messam, simply to replace Volny - who is our defacto running back and used as a 'change of pace'.

Messam provides at least a chance to win the starting spot... Volny does not.  If Messam surprises, we have our 7th starter... what's the harm in looking?  Maybe a $5000 signing bonus if that?

Messam is not going to get $125k...  maybe 80-90... bring him in.

I think you are overrating Messam by saying he has a chance to win the starting spot. He is a significant downgrade from any International we could put in that spot, and by a large margin. I'm not saying Volny is better but he at the very least is more versatile. We would be essentially be dressing Messam to play perhaps four plays per game? And what use is a running back who hasn't averaged more than 4.7 YPC for over two years? And that was with the Montreal offensive line!

Well, there aren't really any other NI options out there - unless you bring in Matt Burke, which I would as well...  and secondly, how do you know Messam won't perform unless you give him a look?  Alouettes offence was a mess last year.  Messam still got 500+ yards in 13 games... about the same as Will Ford...

One of the Bombers problems that last few years is that we pronounce 'nope we don't want him, he doesn't fit' and pass on a lot of quality players...  If KW is concerned about injuries, fine but to say that 'we are going import' is the wrong path, imo.

So because we have little import depth you want to use a roster spot on someone who will never improve, is on the backside of his career, does not play special teams and is not a position of need on the bombers. Would you like some ocean side property in Saskatchewan? its got a great view.

In the CFL if you are not a starter you better be able to play special teams, especially with O'Shea as head coach. So please explain where this fit is. You only sign a Canadian to play a skilled position if and only if he either presents no drop off from your import players you are playing at that position or he can be a backup and PLAY TEAMS.

What's with the Volny love?  He played like three games last year and in 2012, his only year with meaningful playing time, he had a rushing avg of 3.7.

We are not going to field a 44-man roster with two imports RBs, just not happening.  Messam is an upgrade over Volny and, yeah, I'm not exactly stressed about replacing Volny's five ST tackles over three years...

Talk about setting the bar low.  Mack is gone, guys, we can dare to dream now.

What's with the Volny love?  He played like three games last year and in 2012, his only year with meaningful playing time, he had a rushing avg of 3.7.

We are not going to field a 44-man roster with two imports RBs, just not happening.  Messam is an upgrade over Volny and, yeah, I'm not exactly stressed about replacing Volny's five ST tackles over three years...

Talk about setting the bar low.  Mack is gone, guys, we can dare to dream now.

Sorry if your dream is a declining 29 year old Canadian running back who does not play special teams, will not win the starters job and averaged 4 ypc with a significantly better Oline then ours last year. Leave me out of the nightmare thank-you.

Its the same thing with everyfan base(the leafs fans by far the worst), so and so declining player becomes available or is put on the trade block. Then part of the fan base instantly pops up saying hey we need him even though there is no current available roster spot for him and the team is developing some younger person in his spot. Just we need that player to come here and get paid to do almost nothing, BUT WE NEED HIM.

I don't buy into the whole "We must sign every Canadian that other teams release" thing, but IMO Messam is still a talented player that could help us out.  Chamblin says the Riders might be interested in Messam.  So someone tell me why he may be good enough for the defending champ Riders... but the Bombers are positive he can't help us out?

Its the same thing with everyfan base(the leafs fans by far the worst), so and so declining player becomes available or is put on the trade block. Then part of the fan base instantly pops up saying hey we need him even though there is no current available roster spot for him and the team is developing some younger person in his spot. Just we need that player to come here and get paid to do almost nothing, BUT WE NEED HIM.

That problem sometimes exists, but not in this case.

I think you're just overvaluing Volny (Hint: He isn't a special teams ace, he can't stay healthy and he fumbles when he does get chances) and undervaluing Messam (Hint: His last years stats are better than Volny's career stats)

It's pretty simple, they want their NIs to be able to play STs and they really believe that the position has been filled nicely with Cotton and Ford.

But, even though I've liked Messam in the past, I have to ask myself, if he's that important an NI, why has he been released after the first cuts?

Couldn't Mont. figure out a way to keep him on their roster?

LENNOXVILLE – Of the eight players released by the Alouettes on Sunday, two jumped out – quarterback Collin Klein, a former Heisman Trophy finalist, and non-import running-back Jerome Messaa

Montrealgazette.com was the first to report, via Twitter (@HerbZurkowsky1), the Als were trying to trade Messam – and that he would be released should Montreal not find any willing dance partners. Predictably, there were none.

As recently as 2011, Messam was the outstanding Canadian in the CFL. He also was the Als’ leading rusher last season, gaining 565 yards on 121 carries.

So why does he suddenly find himself unemployed?

When the Als acquired him in a trade from Edmonton, Brandon Whitaker was coming off a serious knee injury and was a potential free agent. He recovered and re-signed with Montreal. And Tyrell Sutton wasn’t yet in the Als’ picture.

The landscape has changed considerably over the course of a year. Messam was being used as a blocking fullback or tight-end. With a salary believed to be at least $80,000 annually, he proved too rich for the Als’ blood.

“We’re in a totally different situation than a year ago,” Popp explained following Monday’s training camp workout at Bishop’s University. “I know Jerome wants to be a tailback. He could be with another team.”

Messam doesn’t figure to be unemployed long. He might be headed to Winnipeg, where the Blue Bombers are potentially kicking the tires following an injury over the weekend to Paris Cotton. Also, Saskatchewan head coach Corey Chamblin has said Messam could be an option for the Roughriders.

His departure likely means Steven Lumbala, one of the Als’ two first-round draft choices in 2013, will see his playing time increased.

“Every player wants to be put in a situation where they feel like the coaching staff has trust in them,” Lumbala said. “This is a good situation for me to be in.

“I’ll do the best I can and fulfill my responsibilities.”

Notes – Quarterback Troy Smith has recovered from a knee injury and participated in practice on Monday. Smith, who expects to be the Als’ starter this season, hopes to play in Friday’s final exhibition game, against the expansion Ottawa RedBlacks, at Molson Stadium. … Also returning to practice was former NFL receiver Chad Johnson, who twisted his ankle last Thursday and didn’t play at Hamilton on Saturday. …

Linebacker Kyries Hebert, who suffered a concussion more than a week ago in the team’s mock-game, was on the field Monday. He participated in some drills, although he still isn’t allowed to practice with the defence. …

The Als suspect injured offensive-lineman Pascal Baillargeon suffered a torn ligament in his right knee on Saturday. He was on crutches following the game and has been placed on the six-game injured list, along with linebacker Bear Woods. …

Jerry Rice Jr., whose father played receiver in the NFL with San Francisco, was at practice on Monday and received a tryout following the team’s workout. As of Monday night, Popp hadn’t determined his status yet. Popp must wait to receive medical reports on injured players before making a decision on the young receiver.

At this point of camp, a player can’t be added to the roster without another player being deleted or injured.

With O'Shea I see us starting one of Ford or Cotton and DI'ing the other one as a "returner"

Seems pretty straightforward, they will be using a DI spot for the backup RB, who will get some amount of returner duty.  Perhaps all.

I don't think anyone will dispute that 2011 Messam is a better RB than Volny.  Who knows what he is now.  He can't hold a job despite being a potential ratio-breaker, so he's probably not really a ratio-breaker anymore.  However, for the sake of argument, let's say his superiority over Volny is not in dispute.

I don't think anyone will dispute that Volny is a better ST player than Messam, since Messam doesn't play teams.

So if Volny is not likely to touch the ball as a RB more than twice a game all season (rewarding the worker bees) but plays 18 snaps a game on teams, which Messam can't replace, and Messam is unlikely to get any more snaps at RB because our DI is outright better, then yeah, Messam is a waste of a roster spot.  If his last name was Etienne you'd all be losing your minds about how big a waste of a roster spot he would be.

With O'Shea I see us starting one of Ford or Cotton and DI'ing the other one as a "returner"

Seems pretty straightforward, they will be using a DI spot for the backup RB, who will get some amount of returner duty.  Perhaps all.

I don't think anyone will dispute that 2011 Messam is a better RB than Volny.  Who knows what he is now.  He can't hold a job despite being a potential ratio-breaker, so he's probably not really a ratio-breaker anymore.  However, for the sake of argument, let's say his superiority over Volny is not in dispute.

I don't think anyone will dispute that Volny is a better ST player than Messam, since Messam doesn't play teams.

So if Volny is not likely to touch the ball as a RB more than twice a game all season (rewarding the worker bees) but plays 18 snaps a game on teams, which Messam can't replace, and Messam is unlikely to get any more snaps at RB because our DI is outright better, then yeah, Messam is a waste of a roster spot.  If his last name was Etienne you'd all be losing your minds about how big a waste of a roster spot he would be.

Unless they want to DI a guy like aaron woods for returner and still have a good RB on the roster