Messam

Floyd

Can't play special teams, can't block.

If we gave Volny the number of carries the last couple years that Messam has got he'd have the same numbers.  We should look at other top 2011 RB's like Cory Boyd.

I'll take my chances that a 6'3, 240 RB can block for Willy.

And if you think Volny and Messam are comparable, well, then um...  uh...

Messam would have been our fifth leading receiver last year, ha - I don't think we're in any position to ignore an NI right now because we're going 'international'

If we gave Volny the number of carries the last couple years that Messam has got he'd have the same numbers.  We should look at other top 2011 RB's like Cory Boyd.

Cory Boyd can't block too.

Cory Boyd can't block too.

I think that was his point.

Messam is actually really bad. What's the point of a NI RB who won't play offense and can't play anywhere else effectively. It's not like we can start this guy just because we've heard of him.

Didn't realize that Messam refused to play offence.  You may have a point there, I don't think he fits with Etch's system.

Messam is actually really bad. What's the point of a NI RB who won't play offense and can't play anywhere else effectively. It's not like we can start this guy just because we've heard of him.

What makes him really bad? I have not watched him play the last two seasons.

His stats are decent enough?

Didn't realize that Messam refused to play offence.  You may have a point there, I don't think he fits with Etch's system.

He won't play offense because we are using an International who would be far more effective than him in that position. If we needed an NI RB it would be in the Volny mold who at least plays Special Teams or does other things than rushing the football somewhat effectively. I'm not convinced Messam can run the football effectively even.

What makes him really bad? I have not watched him play the last two seasons.

His stats are decent enough?

He can't catch the football out of the backfield and he's purely a between the tackles runner which is fine, but since his big season in Edmonton a few years ago, he hasn't proven to be effective even at doing that. A 4.0 and 4.7 YPC average the last two seasons is abysmal for the CFL.

But if you're not asking him to replace Cotton or Ford, what are you asking him to do? Be on the roster exclusively as a backup running back as a change of pace? Don't see it as necessary.

We have zero non-import depth.

Sign Messam, simply to replace Volny - who is our defacto running back and used as a 'change of pace'.

Messam provides at least a chance to win the starting spot... Volny does not.  If Messam surprises, we have our 7th starter... what's the harm in looking?  Maybe a $5000 signing bonus if that?

Messam is not going to get $125k...  maybe 80-90... bring him in.

But if you're not asking him to replace Cotton or Ford, what are you asking him to do? Be on the roster exclusively as a backup running back as a change of pace? Don't see it as necessary.

Sign Messam, simply to replace Volny - who is our defacto running back and used as a 'change of pace'.

Messam provides at least a chance to win the starting spot... Volny does not.  If Messam surprises, we have our 7th starter... what's the harm in looking?  Maybe a $5000 signing bonus if that?

I think you are overrating Messam by saying he has a chance to win the starting spot. He is a significant downgrade from any International we could put in that spot, and by a large margin. I'm not saying Volny is better but he at the very least is more versatile. We would be essentially be dressing Messam to play perhaps four plays per game? And what use is a running back who hasn't averaged more than 4.7 YPC for over two years? And that was with the Montreal offensive line!

I think you are overrating Messam by saying he has a chance to win the starting spot. He is a significant downgrade from any International we could put in that spot, and by a large margin. I'm not saying Volny is better but he at the very least is more versatile. We would be essentially be dressing Messam to play perhaps four plays per game? And what use is a running back who hasn't averaged more than 4.7 YPC for over two years? And that was with the Montreal offensive line!

Well, there aren't really any other NI options out there - unless you bring in Matt Burke, which I would as well...  and secondly, how do you know Messam won't perform unless you give him a look?  Alouettes offence was a mess last year.  Messam still got 500+ yards in 13 games... about the same as Will Ford...

One of the Bombers problems that last few years is that we pronounce 'nope we don't want him, he doesn't fit' and pass on a lot of quality players...  If KW is concerned about injuries, fine but to say that 'we are going import' is the wrong path, imo.