Pre season done .... thoughts

Well I for one am ecstatic. FIrst, I gotta talk about last year and the buffoons running this outfit. Our first pre-season game at home, our starters against Toronto's 3rd stringers and rubes (cuts) and we lose - 24 to 3. 

But.... just to set the 'tone' for the season, our esteemed Head Coach takes our 3rd stringers and rubes to Hamilton (Guelph techincally) and before the game predicts we'll be blown out. Final score 58 to 0. Yep, great tone setter to start the season off on a good note. 

This year, total opposite. Yes, we 'lost' both games on the score board (who cares) but we competed. We played hard and we did a lot of good things. The 'tone' has been set. No, we won't be a playoff team, but we won't be the 3 - 15 patsies we were last year either. Any team taking us lightly will get a wake up call. That being said, my take on the two games I've seen so far:

Offense - QBing is already better just with WIlly and Marve. Looks to me that we finally, in the early going anyway, not only have a bonafide starter in Willy, but a (slightly) younger guy we can groom that's actually worth it. Brohm/Hall - replaceable. Receivers will be better I think than last year, especially if we can get a healthy Cory Watson, but I'm not holding out too much hope. Oline looks much better. Opened up some big holes for the running game and I didn't notice any pressure really unless the opposition was blitzing - cept for when Pencer was on the field but we solved that one in a hurry. Runningbacks - Paris Cotton - for those offering TC reports, you were right. He could be another blink Roberts. I'm hoping Ford isn't ready for the first game of year I'd like to see Cotton play a full game against a #1 defense

Defense - hmmmmm jury is out on this. When playing against the #1 (or #2 in Argo's case) units they didn't do well, especially against the run. Our dline isn't getting much pressure, the LB's are for the most part absent, and our secondary (excluding Randle) seem as lost as ever. Now, this changes when the 3rd stringers come in for the opposition but that won't mean much. Luckily, we got two full weeks to 'work' on it

Special teams - Coverage teams are weak so far (which is surprising given who our HC is) but the kickers are a HUGE upgrade from last year. Pulling for the international here - Maher from the University of Nebraska. I think he's worth one of the 'designated' spots 

Good post, I just wanted to see a silver lining of some sort and was pleased with the way the offence has looked, the kicking game looks solid too. There is progress being made and looks like just a matter of time before they get the mess cleaned up.

Well I for one am ecstatic. FIrst, I gotta talk about last year and the buffoons running this outfit. Our first pre-season game at home, our starters against Toronto's 3rd stringers and rubes (cuts) and we lose - 24 to 3. 

But.... just to set the 'tone' for the season, our esteemed Head Coach takes our 3rd stringers and rubes to Hamilton (Guelph techincally) and before the game predicts we'll be blown out. Final score 58 to 0. Yep, great tone setter to start the season off on a good note. 

This year, total opposite. Yes, we 'lost' both games on the score board (who cares) but we competed. We played hard and we did a lot of good things. The 'tone' has been set. No, we won't be a playoff team, but we won't be the 3 - 15 patsies we were last year either. Any team taking us lightly will get a wake up call. That being said, my take on the two games I've seen so far:

Offense - QBing is already better just with WIlly and Marve. Looks to me that we finally, in the early going anyway, not only have a bonafide starter in Willy, but a (slightly) younger guy we can groom that's actually worth it. Brohm/Hall - replaceable. Receivers will be better I think than last year, especially if we can get a healthy Cory Watson, but I'm not holding out too much hope. Oline looks much better. Opened up some big holes for the running game and I didn't notice any pressure really unless the opposition was blitzing - cept for when Pencer was on the field but we solved that one in a hurry. Runningbacks - Paris Cotton - for those offering TC reports, you were right. He could be another blink Roberts. I'm hoping Ford isn't ready for the first game of year I'd like to see Cotton play a full game against a #1 defense

Defense - hmmmmm jury is out on this. When playing against the #1 (or #2 in Argo's case) units they didn't do well, especially against the run. Our dline isn't getting much pressure, the LB's are for the most part absent, and our secondary (excluding Randle) seem as lost as ever. Now, this changes when the 3rd stringers come in for the opposition but that won't mean much. Luckily, we got two full weeks to 'work' on it

Special teams - Coverage teams are weak so far (which is surprising given who our HC is) but the kickers are a HUGE upgrade from last year. Pulling for the international here - Maher from the University of Nebraska. I think he's worth one of the 'designated' spots 

What makes you think Marve will be the backup? Based on 1 series Week 1 with less than 5 minutes remaining? He didn't shine yesterday when he was in again with under 5 mins to go. How can you annoint someone so quickly with such little body of work? If Hall & Brohm are replaceable then I'd say Marve will be lucky to stick with the team. He hasn't moved up the depth chart & after yesterday I don't think he will this week either. Obviously, the coaches see something in Brohm they like. Not so much in Marve. Prediction: Marve will NOT be our backup qb. 

What makes you think Marve will be the backup? Based on 1 series Week 1 with less than 5 minutes remaining? He didn't shine yesterday when he was in again with under 5 mins to go. How can you annoint someone so quickly with such little body of work? If Hall & Brohm are replaceable then I'd say Marve will be lucky to stick with the team. He hasn't moved up the depth chart & after yesterday I don't think he will this week either. Obviously, the coaches see something in Brohm they like. Not so much in Marve. Prediction: Marve will NOT be our backup qb. 

hmmmm iso, you're not reading again. Please re-read what I bolded....  see it above? Does it say, anywhere, #2? Does it say 'backup'? No, its says 'groom". As in practice roster, or 3rd string even. The backup job will be fought out by Hall/Brohm. As it stands (and as I said in another post) I doubt any QB will get cut ...... yet. And since you like reading things that aren't there, I shall expand a bit on that for you. Groom, as in Troy Kopp, TJ Rubley, Justin Goltz, Tee Martin, etc. etc. etc. - Marve is the FIRST one I've seen in a long time that is what I feel is worth the effort to groom. 

Are we good now? 

Definitely going to be fighters. Could be like the 2010 WBB that lost a ton of close games and found a way to turn those close losses into wins the following year. As long as they're competitive and showing effort in every game, I'm good with that as a baby step in the right direction.

The key to this year is going to be to show that the gong show has left town.

Expect us to be competitive but lose more then we win.

Team has to come together and show O'Shea is the real deal as head coach. This is key to be able to attract some Canadian free agent talent in the off season. Until we get this area of the team upgraded, our outlook is not great.

IMHO, our biggest improvement over last year is coaching.  Especially the leadership side of that job.   I believe that we will see a greater committment from the players, and a whole lot more fight.

I like Burke as a DC, but I never forgot the game where we kneeled down while losing at the end of the game.  I just never regained any confidence that he could lead a winning team.   With M.O.S., I believe we have the passion and the drive, and that it will wear off on the team.  I expect some bumps in the road, and some trouble along the way, but I believe that this team will improve.

IMHO, our biggest improvement over last year is coaching.  Especially the leadership side of that job.   I believe that we will see a greater committment from the players, and a whole lot more fight.

I like Burke as a DC, but I never forgot the game where we kneeled down while losing at the end of the game.  I just never regained any confidence that he could lead a winning team.   With M.O.S., I believe we have the passion and the drive, and that it will wear off on the team.  I expect some bumps in the road, and some trouble along the way, but I believe that this team will improve.

Totally agree.

I hope people keep things in perspective as the season goes along.  O'Shea and Walters have their hands full when it comes to righting the ship.  It won't be done in a single season but I sincerely believe they have the right people in key positions to make a positive impact on this franchise. 

I said in the offseason and it's still valid if you ask me, as long as I see a team that battles all game long and never gives up it's a step in the right direction. Got so tired last year of seeing the team face the slightest bit of adversity and just roll over and die. Give me a reason to watch the whole game. 

hmmmm iso, you're not reading again. Please re-read what I bolded....  see it above? Does it say, anywhere, #2? Does it say 'backup'? No, its says 'groom". As in practice roster, or 3rd string even. The backup job will be fought out by Hall/Brohm. As it stands (and as I said in another post) I doubt any QB will get cut ...... yet. And since you like reading things that aren't there, I shall expand a bit on that for you. Groom, as in Troy Kopp, TJ Rubley, Justin Goltz, Tee Martin, etc. etc. etc. - Marve is the FIRST one I've seen in a long time that is what I feel is worth the effort to groom. 

Are we good now? 

Sure, but you're describing Marve as some kind of rising star for some reason based on what he did on ONE series. You do realize that he may not even make the team, right?  

I think we will be fighting Montreal for last in the league... but am hoping for five or six wins.  Linebackers and NI will hurt us.

Linebackers - Biggest concern is Korey Banks and Desia Dunn - Etch seems to have them pencilled in as starters from Day One but they haven't shown much.  Banks looks to have lost a step, maybe he's waiting for regular season...  still, 35 is 35.

Kuale - glad to have him, but for me, he's always been a poor man's Brandon Isaac...  Didn't see enough speed from him last game - again, maybe he'll pour it on versus Toronto.

Wild looks good, but he's better at WIL.

NI Depth - passing over Laurent and then Messam, cutting NIs early in TC, banking our whole ratio on Watson's health... yikes.

NI Depth - passing over Laurent and then Messam, cutting NIs early in TC, banking our whole ratio on Watson's health... yikes.

I haven't given up hope yet. You can bet that Walters and crew are keeping a constant vigil on what cuts are made on other teams' rosters on the "national" side (sorry, just can't get used to that phrase, it's too dumb). We'll see what shakes out in the next two weeks.

I haven't given up hope yet. You can bet that Walters and crew are keeping a constant vigil on what cuts are made on other teams' rosters on the "national" side (sorry, just can't get used to that phrase, it's too dumb). We'll see what shakes out in the next two weeks.

TheNational-620-new.jpg

Another thing to discuss is the short time frame between pre season games. They really only had the better part of three days to evaluate and get ready for the second pre season game. Not really a lot of time to try and teach/learn anything from the first game.

There was only 2 practices between both games.

Well they did turn over half the roster.