Pre season done .... thoughts

How is "national" dumber than "non-import"? I always thought that was a weird, overly complicated term to use for Canadians in the Canadian Football League.

They should have referred to Veterans as Non-Rookies.

Makes sense in that Canadians weren't the only ones who could be classified as non-imports (see Cahoon, Ben).

If anything, this national / international designation is more convoluted.

How is "national" dumber than "non-import"? I always thought that was a weird, overly complicated term to use for Canadians in the Canadian Football League.

They should have referred to Veterans as Non-Rookies.

It's dumb because it's such an inconsequential thing to change, and then to basically change it to a different words meaning the exact same thing.  I could see if they switched non-import to Canadian, that would make some sense.

Wonder how that brainstorm happened, "our officiating is consistently incompetent, but I'm really concerned about the terms we use to classify players!"

Another thing to discuss is the short time frame between pre season games. They really only had the better part of three days to evaluate and get ready for the second pre season game. Not really a lot of time to try and teach/learn anything from the first game.

There was only 2 practices between both games.

I know. That's why I brought it up. A day to review film and two days to try and teach it and or learn It. Not saying this was the only reason they did not come out a little stronger against Calgary but it certainly didn't help.

I think we're gonna look like the 2013 Eskimos.  Terrible record, only occasionally competitive, but with a promising QB.

I never thought about it that way but yea you may be on to something.

I always hold out hope at the start of the season but I have a sinking feeling our defense will play out like groundhog day when the game is tight or within reach. Giving up yardage and points consistently, killling momentum or sealing the game away. I hope our defense is committed to minimizing points scored against not just touchdowns.

Like:

Willy looks to be a serious upgrade on what we had last year at QB.

Some national upgrades now and soon, for OL

Using more of the field, with better play selection on offense.

Actual halftime adjustments during games.

Team not folding up, when falling behind in games

Kicking game

Progress of some young national receivers

Secondary

No Like:

Run Defense

LB's, excepting Wild

Kick coverage

Still can't make clutch plays to close out games

Razor-thin national depth

Blocking against edge rush, on OL

Like:

Willy looks to be a serious upgrade on what we had last year at QB.

Some national non-import upgrades now and soon, for OL

Using more of the field, with better play selection on offense.

Actual halftime adjustments during games.

Team not folding up, when falling behind in games

Kicking game

Progress of some young national non-import receivers

Secondary

No Like:

Run Defense

LB's, excepting Wild

Kick coverage

Still can't make clutch plays to close out games

Razor-thin national non-import depth

Blocking against edge rush, on OL

I just can't get over how stupid 'national' and 'international' players sounds.... I know I'll have to adjust but it's gonna take a while  :angry:

Anyways, good post... pretty hard to disagree with your assessment... especially love the bolded one, nothing drove me more crazy last year than seeing us go down 21-3 by half and come out in the second with zero adjustments to the game plan...

Here's a crazy statistic  that I don't believe happened last year at ALL,not once, in any game. It happened in Calgary. Our Offence had no 2 and outs. 

I agree with the poster who said i think we will be like Edmonton last year, however our oline seems to be better than what Edmonton had last year.

I also feel it will be similar to 2010 where we lost a few games by under 7 points, for example what happened in calgary, we tie it up, big return by calgary, march down field a bit, kick the winning fg. I see a few games turning out like that. We will be better than last year, I'm leaning towards 6-12 but 7-11 is a possibility also.

Anyways, good post... pretty hard to disagree with your assessment... especially love the bolded one, nothing drove me more crazy last year than seeing us go down 21-3 by half and come out in the second with zero adjustments to the game plan...

As soon as the second half would start up and we'd see Burke giving the thousand yard stare you knew nothing had been adjusted at half time as he was so overwhelmed with the HC job that he couldn't even function mentally. I don't think we'll be seeing that look from O'Shea this year, he's always running around and being active on the sideline - at least he knows what is going on and is actively engaged, instead of just being Droopy Dog.

I think we're gonna look like the 2013 Eskimos. Terrible record, only occasionally competitive, but with a promising QB.

I never thought about it that way but yea you may be on to something.

I always hold out hope at the start of the season but I have a sinking feeling our defense will play out like groundhog day when the game is tight or within reach. Giving up yardage and points consistently, killling momentum or sealing the game away. I hope our defense is committed to minimizing points scored against not just touchdowns.

I don't exactly think we'll be terrible this year. Watching both games, I did get flashbacks from the first LaPo season. Back when we were the "best worst team in the league", always losing games by 2-3 points. Of course I'd like to win more than we lose but already it's a HUGE improvement over last season.

Well I for one am ecstatic. FIrst, I gotta talk about last year and the buffoons running this outfit. Our first pre-season game at home, our starters against Toronto's 3rd stringers and rubes (cuts) and we lose - 24 to 3. 

But.... just to set the 'tone' for the season, our esteemed Head Coach takes our 3rd stringers and rubes to Hamilton (Guelph techincally) and before the game predicts we'll be blown out. Final score 58 to 0. Yep, great tone setter to start the season off on a good note. 

This year, total opposite. Yes, we 'lost' both games on the score board (who cares) but we competed. We played hard and we did a lot of good things. The 'tone' has been set. No, we won't be a playoff team, but we won't be the 3 - 15 patsies we were last year either. Any team taking us lightly will get a wake up call. That being said, my take on the two games I've seen so far:

Offense - QBing is already better just with WIlly and Marve. Looks to me that we finally, in the early going anyway, not only have a bonafide starter in Willy, but a (slightly) younger guy we can groom that's actually worth it. Brohm/Hall - replaceable. Receivers will be better I think than last year, especially if we can get a healthy Cory Watson, but I'm not holding out too much hope. Oline looks much better. Opened up some big holes for the running game and I didn't notice any pressure really unless the opposition was blitzing - cept for when Pencer was on the field but we solved that one in a hurry. Runningbacks - Paris Cotton - for those offering TC reports, you were right. He could be another blink Roberts. I'm hoping Ford isn't ready for the first game of year I'd like to see Cotton play a full game against a #1 defense

Defense - hmmmmm jury is out on this. When playing against the #1 (or #2 in Argo's case) units they didn't do well, especially against the run. Our dline isn't getting much pressure, the LB's are for the most part absent, and our secondary (excluding Randle) seem as lost as ever. Now, this changes when the 3rd stringers come in for the opposition but that won't mean much. Luckily, we got two full weeks to 'work' on it

Special teams - Coverage teams are weak so far (which is surprising given who our HC is) but the kickers are a HUGE upgrade from last year. Pulling for the international here - Maher from the University of Nebraska. I think he's worth one of the 'designated' spots 

What makes you think Marve will be the backup? Based on 1 series Week 1 with less than 5 minutes remaining? He didn't shine yesterday when he was in again with under 5 mins to go. How can you annoint someone so quickly with such little body of work? If Hall & Brohm are replaceable then I'd say Marve will be lucky to stick with the team. He hasn't moved up the depth chart & after yesterday I don't think he will this week either. Obviously, the coaches see something in Brohm they like. Not so much in Marve. Prediction: Marve will NOT be our backup qb. 

hmmmm iso, you're not reading again. Please re-read what I bolded....  see it above? Does it say, anywhere, #2? Does it say 'backup'? No, its says 'groom". As in practice roster, or 3rd string even. The backup job will be fought out by Hall/Brohm. As it stands (and as I said in another post) I doubt any QB will get cut ...... yet. And since you like reading things that aren't there, I shall expand a bit on that for you. Groom, as in Troy Kopp, TJ Rubley, Justin Goltz, Tee Martin, etc. etc. etc. - Marve is the FIRST one I've seen in a long time that is what I feel is worth the effort to groom. 

Are we good now? 

Sure, but you're describing Marve as some kind of rising star for some reason based on what he did on ONE series. You do realize that he may not even make the team, right?  

No iso i'm basing it on the way he impressed at the free agent camp in Florida and from members here who have been going to tc everyday and extolling his virtues. Then I saw a guy come into the game in the last two minutes and look like he's been there before. So I'll throw back at you what you did to me - why do you hate Marve?

Well I for one am ecstatic. FIrst, I gotta talk about last year and the buffoons running this outfit. Our first pre-season game at home, our starters against Toronto's 3rd stringers and rubes (cuts) and we lose - 24 to 3. 

But.... just to set the 'tone' for the season, our esteemed Head Coach takes our 3rd stringers and rubes to Hamilton (Guelph techincally) and before the game predicts we'll be blown out. Final score 58 to 0. Yep, great tone setter to start the season off on a good note. 

This year, total opposite. Yes, we 'lost' both games on the score board (who cares) but we competed. We played hard and we did a lot of good things. The 'tone' has been set. No, we won't be a playoff team, but we won't be the 3 - 15 patsies we were last year either. Any team taking us lightly will get a wake up call. That being said, my take on the two games I've seen so far:

Offense - QBing is already better just with WIlly and Marve. Looks to me that we finally, in the early going anyway, not only have a bonafide starter in Willy, but a (slightly) younger guy we can groom that's actually worth it. Brohm/Hall - replaceable. Receivers will be better I think than last year, especially if we can get a healthy Cory Watson, but I'm not holding out too much hope. Oline looks much better. Opened up some big holes for the running game and I didn't notice any pressure really unless the opposition was blitzing - cept for when Pencer was on the field but we solved that one in a hurry. Runningbacks - Paris Cotton - for those offering TC reports, you were right. He could be another blink Roberts. I'm hoping Ford isn't ready for the first game of year I'd like to see Cotton play a full game against a #1 defense

Defense - hmmmmm jury is out on this. When playing against the #1 (or #2 in Argo's case) units they didn't do well, especially against the run. Our dline isn't getting much pressure, the LB's are for the most part absent, and our secondary (excluding Randle) seem as lost as ever. Now, this changes when the 3rd stringers come in for the opposition but that won't mean much. Luckily, we got two full weeks to 'work' on it

Special teams - Coverage teams are weak so far (which is surprising given who our HC is) but the kickers are a HUGE upgrade from last year. Pulling for the international here - Maher from the University of Nebraska. I think he's worth one of the 'designated' spots 

What makes you think Marve will be the backup? Based on 1 series Week 1 with less than 5 minutes remaining? He didn't shine yesterday when he was in again with under 5 mins to go. How can you annoint someone so quickly with such little body of work? If Hall & Brohm are replaceable then I'd say Marve will be lucky to stick with the team. He hasn't moved up the depth chart & after yesterday I don't think he will this week either. Obviously, the coaches see something in Brohm they like. Not so much in Marve. Prediction: Marve will NOT be our backup qb. 

hmmmm iso, you're not reading again. Please re-read what I bolded....  see it above? Does it say, anywhere, #2? Does it say 'backup'? No, its says 'groom". As in practice roster, or 3rd string even. The backup job will be fought out by Hall/Brohm. As it stands (and as I said in another post) I doubt any QB will get cut ...... yet. And since you like reading things that aren't there, I shall expand a bit on that for you. Groom, as in Troy Kopp, TJ Rubley, Justin Goltz, Tee Martin, etc. etc. etc. - Marve is the FIRST one I've seen in a long time that is what I feel is worth the effort to groom. 

Are we good now? 

Sure, but you're describing Marve as some kind of rising star for some reason based on what he did on ONE series. You do realize that he may not even make the team, right?  

No iso i'm basing it on the way he impressed at the free agent camp in Florida and from members here who have been going to tc everyday and extolling his virtues. Then I saw a guy come into the game in the last two minutes and look like he's been there before. So I'll throw back at you what you did to me - why do you hate Marve?

None of what Marve did in Florida involved reading CFL defences.  Little of what Marve did in training camp practises involved reading CFL defences.  Some of what Marve did in the pre-season games involved reading CFL defences.

Have some patience.  This will be his biggest hurdle because it's every QBs biggest hurdle.  This kind of learning takes time, not pressure.  The glimpses of talent he's shown so far are promising, but they're just glimpses.

Are we good now? 

I don't hate Marve. That's always the lame catch phrase people like you use when they have nothing to come back with in a discussion. Just because someone like me says something you don't like, it must mean I hate someone. C'mon man. You're annointing the kid the second stringer & already there's been a report in the Freep that Brohm is taking 2nd team reps with the offense. That means Brohn has JUMPED AHEAD of Hall who has dropped down to #3 meaning Marve is still #4. Maybe you need a reality check.

I like Marve. I have no  reason not to. But he had one great series & that's it.But the coaches obviously don't think as highly of him as you do.