Weekly Fantasy Contest Details

Mike

So last week in our one year announcement, we alluded to a new contest that we'd be running this year in place of our fantasy football league. Fantasy sports are always fun to participate in, but what we wanted to do this year was not limit the participation to 8 players (or 16, if we did 2 leagues) and instead, open it up to the whole MBB community. I started learning about daily fantasy sports last year during the NFL season and I thought it would translate well over to the CFL so we figured why not make it a contest?

Here's how it works - during each week of the CFL season, you will have an opportunity to draft a team. You will choose a team QB, two running backs, three receivers, a kicker and a team defense. Very similar to a regular fantasy league, except there are no limits on how many people can pick the same player (so we could end up seeing Nick Moore drafted a dozen times in one week, for an example) and you are able to pick a new team every week. Just like regular fantasy, you will receive points based on the performance of your players. Mr. Perfect helped out with a scoring system that we'll post up as well and that is how each team will be scored. Your points will be totaled over the course of the entire season and whoever has the most total points at the end of the year will win the prize we have stashed away for you.

For our fantasy leagues last year, we used the Fantaseh platform but this year, we're going to go back to the old pen and paper method of keeping track of scoring. I'll be doing my best to keep scores updated as quickly after the week of games as possible and I know some of the other staff members have already volunteered to help with the scores, but it won't be real time like Fantaseh was. We're toying around with the idea of spreadsheets to make this easier as well.

As a participant, you are obviously going to need to participate each week in order to have the best chance possible of winning. One rule I will set in stone right away is that if you do not pick your team each week, we will not be letting you carry over your team from the previous week as a default. You are allowed to pick the same team each week if you'd like to, but you'll have to update us each week that you're doing it. No freebies. ;)

Any questions? Suggestions?

We'll post the scoring system closer to the start of the season.

Google Docs, then you can delegate access to the same spreadsheet to the other people who are helping keep track.

One questions, by team defense, do we just pick one whole team and how they do on defense as a team will generate our points? Or do we pick a teams worth of individual defensive players? I would assume it would be the former as it seems to be formatted in a quick and easy way, but I wasn't sure.

Sounds awesome though!

Seeing as it's a weekly redraft (with no exclusivity) .. I'd eliminate team QBs and have people draft individuals. Injuries and circumstance are all part of fantasy football .. Ray gets hurt in a game? Your QB position takes a hit that week.

hmmmmmmmmmmm ... interesting.

Count me in.

For setting your roster week by week could we submit a couple weeks in advance in case we will be away for a while? For example I'm going on a road trip mid-July so could I set my roster in advance for 2 weeks or something like that?

While I'm disappointed I won't get the chance to show off my amazing drafting skills, I like that we'll be able to have the forum compete and not just the lucky 8/16 people to make it into a league.

With that said, if anyone is interested in doing an 8-team league on Fantaseh.... do keep me in the loop...

Count me in.

For setting your roster week by week could we submit a couple weeks in advance in case we will be away for a while? For example I'm going on a road trip mid-July so could I set my roster in advance for 2 weeks or something like that?

NO.

yes of course.

I don't know why the CFL does not start up a fantasy game like this. I know there used to be one a few years ago but only lasted on year forget who did. It was the same you picked every week a new team and they also used individual QB's.

An orthodox fantasy football league just doesn't work in the CFL. Not enough players, no fun (and not a bug enough pot) if you lower the amount of fantasy teams proportionate to an NFL league.

Pools are the way to go in the CFL, I'm looking forward to this set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything happening with this?  I see TSN's fantasy league is up

We've been looking at the TSN fantasy league. It's more or less exactly what we wanted to run, so we may opt to create a private group in that. We'll probably decide over the weekend.

This looks like it'll be a lot of fun; although I need to learn more about the linebackers myself so I can pick my teams.  I have got the QB's and Receivers and RB's that I like but the other guys you don't hear about as much unless they f*ck up lol