Rookie Camp Day 1 (Reports and Discussion)

Mike

Marve's reconstructed knees make me a bit nervous.  I don't fully understand the procedure that was done to them but with his history of injury I don't put much stock in him holding up for long.  If I was him I'd be looking for a career outside of football, his knees will thank him when he reaches 50..

I could be wrong but did he not have 3 ACL reconstructions on one of his knees?

Marve's reconstructed knees make me a bit nervous.  I don't fully understand the procedure that was done to them but with his history of injury I don't put much stock in him holding up for long.  If I was him I'd be looking for a career outside of football, his knees will thank him when he reaches 50..

Deal.  When he turns 50 we're cutting him, no questions asked.

The knee I had operated on feels pretty normal and functions well, way better than when I was trying to just rehab without surgery.  The other knee never got injured badly enough to deserve surgery, so it just aches all the time.  It's aching as I type this.  Having had surgery on knees is completely different these days,  AP ran for 2000 yards on his surgified knee.

Maybe Justin G. can help him find some commercial acting work...

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7G6P/burger-king-breakfast-value-menu

Anybody would be better than the guy they found to be "Gerald E. Rodney" in that visa ad that runs 4,000 times a game during the NHL playoffs. That guy just bugs me for some reason....

The knee I had operated on feels pretty normal and functions well, way better than when I was trying to just rehab without surgery.  The other knee never got injured badly enough to deserve surgery, so it just aches all the time.  It's aching as I type this.  Having had surgery on knees is completely different these days,  AP ran for 2000 yards on his surgified knee.

The difference is your knees won't be exposed to a 350 lb. human cannonball landing on them.

I beg to differ. I had reconstruction of my right ACL /MCL in '93 and '98 from playing football. In 2007 after have a dozen scope they decided to remove the remainder of my loonie sized meniscus. I am 41 and taking 2 tramacet every six hours waiting for my knee replacement surgery next spring at Concordia. The problem isn't the instability it the osteoarthritis from all the trauma that becomes too much.

I don't think anyone is saying marve is gonna see the field anytime soon, he might tho, he very well could be the 2nd or 3rd and short qb, would that not be seeing the field? is his praise really just based on one day of mini camp or is it based on one day of mini camp plus the florida camp, where from all reports, he was the best of the bunch there?

Nobody really knows what's going to happen. I just refuse to accept that NFL pedigree means anything in the CFL. 

I don't think anyone is saying marve is gonna see the field anytime soon, he might tho, he very well could be the 2nd or 3rd and short qb, would that not be seeing the field? is his praise really just based on one day of mini camp or is it based on one day of mini camp plus the florida camp, where from all reports, he was the best of the bunch there?

Nobody really knows what's going to happen. I just refuse to accept that NFL pedigree means anything in the CFL.

You don't think that a lot of scouts and NFL resources who look highly on a player doesn't mean anything?

I know some guys slip through the cracks but for the most part anyone with talent is on the NFL radar, cfl radar or even arena football radar.

You don't think that a lot of scouts and NFL resources who look highly on a player doesn't mean anything?

I know some guys slip through the cracks but for the most part anyone with talent is on the NFL radar, cfl radar or even arena football radar.

no, it really doesn't mean anything at all, scouts are wrong all the time. This is the CFL, it's not the NFL, NFL experience means nothing.

Ricky Williams, David Boston, Bethel Johnson, Limas Sweed, J.T. O'Sullivan, Aaron Maybin and hundreds of others say otherwise.

I beg to differ. I had reconstruction of my right ACL /MCL in '93 and '98 from playing football. In 2007 after have a dozen scope they decided to remove the remainder of my loonie sized meniscus. I am 41 and taking 2 tramacet every six hours waiting for my knee replacement surgery next spring at Concordia. The problem isn't the instability it the osteoarthritis from all the trauma that becomes too much.

I hope it goes well for you.  My guess is if the same injuries happened to you now the outcome might be greatly different.  They have gotten much better at those over the last 15 years.  Unlike us MB yokels who will largely get the same procedures done, US athletes will get their procedures done by some of the best knee guys in the world.

Marve may have seen one of the top end guys or not; he's enough of a celebrity (all college QBs are celebrities down there) to have received medical care that likely exceeds ours.  Does that mean his knees are fine?  Probably not.  He might spend every night on the couch with ice on them while reading the playbook.  All indications are that he's running smoothly and moving well inside and out of the pocket.  That's more than Glenn's rickety knees can do.

Ricky Williams, David Boston, Bethel Johnson, Limas Sweed, J.T. O'Sullivan, Aaron Maybin and hundreds of others say otherwise.

A lot of those guys were washed up in the NFL before they even came to the CFL.

Who beat out Cleo Lemon and Cody Pickett for their jobs? Stephen Jyles? This is bugging me now.

Who beat out Cleo Lemon and Cody Pickett for their jobs? Stephen Jyles? This is bugging me now.

I looked it up... Lemon was replaced by an injured Jyles and a poorly performing Dalton Bell:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/argos-drop-quarterback-cleo-lemon-1.1000012

And Pickett was replaced with... nobody? They just cut all their QBs in the offseason.  I'm assuming they signed Cleo Lemon shortly after that?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=311051

sigh. I miss the days when the Argos were terrible and couldn't find a quarterback.

So guys pass there expiry date and or with mental issues?

I understand certain positions or players who are undersized thrive in the cfl.

But for qb its not all that different.

Can you name any qbs who had zero NFL interest walk in and claim the back up position over other guys with cfl experience?

Most of those kind of guys sit on the bench for a year or two before seeing the field.

Maybe Justin G. can help him find some commercial acting work...

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7G6P/burger-king-breakfast-value-menu

Anybody would be better than the guy they found to be "Gerald E. Rodney" in that visa ad that runs 4,000 times a game during the NHL playoffs. That guy just bugs me for some reason....

I think I missed him.  Is he the guy in the blue shirt?

Can you name any QBs with green eyes and nordic heritage on their mother's side who shopped at Sobey's March 6th, 2013?

You might be asking non-relevant questions.

Can you name any qbs who had zero NFL interest walk in and claim the back up position over other guys with cfl experience?

The NFL looks at almost every QB that comes out of college.  Your awareness of their "interest" (which is whether or not they were drafted or signed) is not a useful criteria for CFL success.  Almost every QB will spend some time on the bench learning the intricacies of the CFL.

But if you really want a trivia answer, go look up who replaced Cliff Kingsbury, or Tee Martin, or one of the other dozen QBs with pedigree that have held the backup spot for a few weeks.  One of those answers will fit your search criteria.  I'm not going to bother because it's a waste of my time, there is no answer that will affect the reasons you have for deciding Brohm is better and should get the number 3 spot despite having not seen him throw and the tiny and probably irrelevant sample size of early reports indicating the other guy is doing very well early on and has great physical gifts.

Most of those kind of guys sit on the bench for a year or two before seeing the field

Oh, so you understand that if Marve makes the team he will spend years on the bench and that Brohm's single year on Hamilton's IR isn't something the Bombers will care about beyond the fact that his understanding should be further ahead than Marve's, and with that year of head start he should outperform Marve everyday in practise.  Glad to hear it.

When was the last time Marve played? He's coming off big injury and off field issues.

The team traded for Brohm and they hired Danny McManus to scout for the team and you don't think he may have had a word about the guy since he saw him in Hamilton?

I take much more weight in that then a fan seeing a guy throw the ball hard a few times in practice lol.

Marve can make 3rd string but for now he is 4th on the depth chart and that won't change until pre season games are played.

When was the last time Marve played? He's coming off big injury and off field issues.

The team traded for Brohm and they hired Danny McManus to scout for the team and you don't think he may have had a word about the guy since he saw him in Hamilton?

I take much more weight in that then a fan seeing a guy throw the ball hard a few times in practice lol.

Marve can make 3rd string but for now he is 4th on the depth chart and that won't change until pre season games are played.

I'm having a hard time following your point.

They traded for Brohm. So? They signed Marve too. There's obviously interest in both of them.

And now you seem to be backing off your solid stance a bit. You're opening up to the possibility. That's good. But I'm just having a hard time seeing where you really stand.

So guys pass there expiry date and or with mental issues?

I understand certain positions or players who are undersized thrive in the cfl.

But for qb its not all that different.

Most of those kind of guys sit on the bench for a year or two before seeing the field.

Instead of trying to defend your original position which was not defendable...why not just wait and see what happens...then you can yell "I told you so"

QB coach Gene Dahlquist looked very active out there and certainly didn't seem like a senior citizen.

You 20 somethings, man. Just because a guy is in his 60's you think he can't coach or has energy?  What did you expect? A guy using a walker or in a wheelchair? Your day will come soon enough. I've seen 35 & 40 year olds in such bad shape they walk like they're 85. It is sad.

QB coach Gene Dahlquist looked very active out there and certainly didn't seem like a senior citizen.

You 20 somethings, man. Just because a guy is in his 60's you think he can't coach or has energy? What did you expect? A guy using a walker or in a wheelchair? Your day will come soon enough. I've seen 35 & 40 year olds in such bad shape they walk like they're 85. It is sad.

He's 71.

You 20 somethings, man. Just because a guy is in his 60's you think he can't coach or has energy? What did you expect? A guy using a walker or in a wheelchair? Your day will come soon enough. I've seen 35 & 40 year olds in such bad shape they walk like they're 85. It is sad.

He's 71.

I think that is great. If Dahlquist has the energy & spunk then more power to him. Don't just judge the man on his age. Judge him on the way he coaches & the job he does.

Probably because he's wearing a Canucks shirt at the start.