Sheets pleads guilty to possession of weed

In the NHL, did you know that recreational drug offences aren't made public? It is to protect the player and allow them to go into rehab quietly and deal with their problem. And what's wrong with that? Everyone deserves a chance to clean up their act without having the media all over them.

Remember that next time you hear about a player suffering a mysterious injury that they never actually left a game for... Drug use is rampant, but we just don't hear about it.

How many times you heard "I was so stoned I couldn't drive right..." ? Hell, I'd even say a tired driver is a more scary driver then a one baked off some weed..

Impaired is impaired, I have absolutely 0 tolerance for people driving when they are not in the right mindset. Too many people can't drive properly at the best of times get the **** heads who take mind altering substances off the road entirely and we're all safer for it. It's this attitude that "pot is fine I can drive" that is the worst thing. If people want it leagalized going to have to be responsible about it.
have you ever driven after a joint? Toke off a pipe? No?? Shocking that you still have an opinion about it tho..

A drunk driver sees double, is slower then molasses and has a superman complex behind the wheel.. A stoned driver drives the speed limit (thinks hes speeding while doing so) is overly cautious and paranoid everyone is going to plow into them... Essentially an elderly driver..

This is from personal experience and from watching idiot friends... but i can guarentee you that a drunk driver is much MUCH more dangerous then a stoned one..

who cares? they're both dangerous! What a ridiculous comment!

Totally don't care if a football player burns a J or ten especially during the season when they've gotta deal with pain and lingering injuries. Just don't get behind the wheel, fer chrissakes.

Keep in mind that there is no proof that he smoked and got behind the wheel, there is only proof that he had the marijuana in his possession.
Pretty sure the story said the officer smelled the weed, 99.9% sure he was smoking it ... http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=451516

So did anyone actually read the article?  He was granted an absolute discharge. 

While it is true that a criminal record will not exist for an absolute discharge after a one year period, the charge will remain on record and can be seen in a criminal background check.  The same holds true for conditional discharges, dismissed and stayed criminal charges as well.

From http://www.pardons.org/pardons-canada-an-absolute-discharge-does-not-mean-not-guilty/

Totally don't care if a football player burns a J or ten especially during the season when they've gotta deal with pain and lingering injuries. Just don't get behind the wheel, fer chrissakes.

Keep in mind that there is no proof that he smoked and got behind the wheel, there is only proof that he had the marijuana in his possession.
Pretty sure the story said the officer smelled the weed, 99.9% sure he was smoking it ... http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=451516

That's not proof. You don't have to smoke weed to smell it.

There are few things I dislike more than listening to pro-pot people......ugh.

Yeah but you're a self-righteous ******.
Be that as it may.........I'm still right.

I'm not sure what you're right about, but you are of course entitled to your opinion. Unfortunately for you, the pro-pot crowd is winning the battle. Weed will be legal as soon as the conservatives inevitably get knocked out of power. You will be surrounded by slow-moving, indifferent stoners before you know it. :)

See here's the thing. That will never happen even if they legalize it as they're going to put just as many laws on it as they do drinking, if not more. You make it sound like this is going to be some free walk in the park and people can just light up anywhere.

I'm not sure what you're right about, but you are of course entitled to your opinion. Unfortunately for you, the pro-pot crowd is winning the battle. Weed will be legal as soon as the conservatives inevitably get knocked out of power. You will be surrounded by slow-moving, indifferent stoners before you know it. :)
See here's the thing. That will never happen even if they legalize it as they're going to put just as many laws on it as they do drinking, if not more. You make it sound like this is going to be some free walk in the park and people can just light up anywhere.

Ever heard of a vaporizer? Can smoke where ever I want and no one has any idea.

While I've never been high myself, I can certainly sympathize with those who feel pot should be legalized. There's a ton of people in my family who smoke weed, including my father, my brothers and sisters (some of which are working on their Ph. D's and Master's degrees, etc.), some cousins, some uncles and aunts, and every single one of them are positively contributing members of society. I'd consider marijuana MUCH less harmful than alcohol. In fact, my uncle cured his Lyme disease with pot butter, it's just a shame he had to do it in hiding. 

It's really too bad that a largely harmless and extremely common drug may have to ruin Sheets' football aspirations, regardless of his otherwise shady character. 

Stoned drivers think they are OK to drive, but driving stoned is no safer than driving drunk.

And this is where your wrong..

the law has the limit for drunk driving set so low that I think you are wrong. I can drink 4 beers feel 100% fine but if I had to take a test I'd blow over, get someone baked you think they're ok to drive compared to having a couple beers? The people who go get themselves completely **** faced and drive are pretty much the biggest pieces of garbage on the planet, but impaired is impaired and if I'm too impaired to drive after a few beers then you better believe that people who drive stoned are too impaired to drive.

U fail to see the difference. Drinking alchol and drivinging and smoking pot and driving are normally completely different.

Here's why. When u get shitfaced it takes hours for someone to sober up, some wake up drunk the next day.

Get stoned provides a rush, followed by giggles or paranoia and then subsides within an hour or so. No aren't sober but u aren't blasted out of your head like a drunk. You could smoke a whole joint and be pretty normal hours later. If you get **** face drunk you are going to be drunk for a fairly long time.

That being said driving while under the influence puts everyone at risk and losing a life over it isn,t worth it. Walking around stoned or shitfaced is okay. Normally u are only harming yourself.

I'm totally for legalizing pot and taxing it like we do alchol and tobacco. It's used by a large portion of society and because of such it should be allowed. It does cause issues when trying determine if someone is sober enough to drive, but DUI can still be determined via field tests.

As for pro athletes, the majority of the players I lived with ( apartment complex) smoked, and smoked often. Didn't seem to effect their on filed production.

Ever heard of a vaporizer? Can smoke where ever I want and no one has any idea.

If you think they won't pull you over if they see you using one just because you can use it to smoke tobacco think again.  Why?  Because most people who smoke tobacco are either smoking a cigarette, a pipe or a cigar.

I don't care if they legalize it or not, but if they do, just make sure that people have to smoke it in their own homes and not be allowed to do it just anywhere like a cigarette.  I already want to beat people who smoke around me, I don't need to inhale that crap too.

If you think they won't pull you over if they see you using one just because you can use it to smoke tobacco think again.  Why?  Because most people who smoke tobacco are either smoking a cigarette, a pipe or a cigar.

I don't care if they legalize it or not, but if they do, just make sure that people have to smoke it in their own homes and not be allowed to do it just anywhere like a cigarette.  I already want to beat people who smoke around me, I don't need to inhale that crap too.

I'm not talking about smoking while driving.

Stoned drivers think they are OK to drive, but driving stoned is no safer than driving drunk.

And this is where your wrong..
the law has the limit for drunk driving set so low that I think you are wrong. I can drink 4 beers feel 100% fine but if I had to take a test I'd blow over, get someone baked you think they're ok to drive compared to having a couple beers? The people who go get themselves completely **** faced and drive are pretty much the biggest pieces of garbage on the planet, but impaired is impaired and if I'm too impaired to drive after a few beers then you better believe that people who drive stoned are too impaired to drive.
U fail to see the difference. Drinking alchol and drivinging and smoking pot and driving are normally completely different.

Here's why. When u get shitfaced it takes hours for someone to sober up, some wake up drunk the next day.

Get stoned provides a rush, followed by giggles or paranoia and then subsides within an hour or so. No aren't sober but u aren't blasted out of your head like a drunk. You could smoke a whole joint and be pretty normal hours later. If you get **** face drunk you are going to be drunk for a fairly long time.

That being said driving while under the influence puts everyone at risk and losing a life over it isn,t worth it. Walking around stoned or shitfaced is okay. Normally u are only harming yourself.

I'm totally for legalizing pot and taxing it like we do alchol and tobacco. It's used by a large portion of society and because of such it should be allowed. It does cause issues when trying determine if someone is sober enough to drive, but DUI can still be determined via field tests.

As for pro athletes, the majority of the players I lived with ( apartment complex) smoked, and smoked often. Didn't seem to effect their on filed production.

This isn't about legalizing or not, this is about if you are impaired in any way shape or form do ME a favour and stay the **** off the roads because I don't want to get in an accident because you're altering your state or mind. Quite frankly I am not interested in having the pot vs. alcohol debate because pot sympathizers like to bang that drum long and loud but that's not the point here. Pot alters your mind that is a fact, if your mind is altered don't drive. 

One would think that a CFL player who is trying to get into The Big Show for huge dollars and all that comes with it would be on his best behaviour until at least it was a done deal. Besides, they have urine testing down there and THC stays in your system for a long time. He was playing Russian Roulette.

16 days with a piss test and up 90 days with a hair follicle test. And if he gets any less than 1 year's probation I'm going to be upp somebody's ass about the inequity of who gets what sentence depending on who you are.

That's how it works here in dope-legal WA state. You can't blaze one anywhere you can't smoke a cigarette.  And you can't smoke a cigarette pretty much anywhere in public.

Also, the initiative that legalized dope set a ridiculously low DUI threshold for blood THC levels.  A lot of the people who legitimately medicate (say what you want, they do exist) were pissed off at the legalization people for throwing them under the bus, saying that THC lingers in the blood and isn't a good measure of intoxication, especially at the trace levels necessary to bust someone for a DUI.

I'm sure when legalization comes to Canada it will look somewhat the same with pretty strict DUI laws and education campaigns similar to the anti-drinking-and-driving ones I got pounded with in the 80s and 90s.

That's how it works here in dope-legal WA state. You can't blaze one anywhere you can't smoke a cigarette.  And you can't smoke a cigarette pretty much anywhere in public.

and that's how it should be, the smell of that **** is just so off putting I don't want people polluting the air with that anywhere near me.