Burke Comments

Why not put Goltz in to do his run it around the edge play when we're stuck in the midst of 5 or 6 2 and outs in a row? At least get a first down and let the punter punt from somewhere other than the shadow of his own goalposts. 

I'd say we've about used up the Goltz sweep option...  we'll see what he can do next game, Crowton will call a 'surprise pass' first time Goltz is in

I personally pay plenty of attention, as I'm sure you also do. I guess we're just seeing different things.

I see a QB who locks on to his initial read almost exclusively.

I see a QB who is so unaware of pressure that he'll take six sacks but will go an entire game without throwing a single ball away.

I see a QB who has problems spotting any openings in the intermediate portions of the field.

I see a QB who cannot utilize a screen pass to save his life.

I see a QB who is overthrowing, underthrowing and failing to lead his receivers into passes.

I see a QB who struggles to recognize any blitz tendencies whatsoever.

I see a QB who is unable to inspire ANY faith that we can come from behind when trailing late in a game.

I see a QB who seems to patch together one quarter of good play a game and then disappear for the balance.

I see a QB who is finding different ways to lose every week as opposed to finding different ways to win.

But since I'm curious, what do you see from Buck? I'm not saying there are not other problem areas with this offense. I'm saying the most important position on the field is failing us right now and in a big way.

It goes both ways in my opinion. I would say that while I agree that the most important position on the field is the QB, the most important position overall is the OC, and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. You're seeing it in Montreal, and you are seeing it here. Are there ways Buck is failing us? Sure. I think Saturday's game was Buck's worse game as a Blue Bomber. That being said, I don't think Crowton is doing anything to help the cause, and maybe it's silly me, but I still have faith in Buck's track record as a starter (we'll see how that turns out later on in the season). I'll cover a few things you mentioned as work prevents me at the moment from providing more of my thoughts. Regarding the screen passes, I think it is painfully obvious the way we run them when it is coming. I understand as a line you are supposed to let the d line through a lot easier so you can kick out to establish the blocks, but nothing ever has time to get set up. At the same time, the line takes half an hour to get into position, that the opposing linebackers and DB's already have Simpson dead in the water by the time he gets the ball.

The balance in quality you referred to I think is 50% Crowton, 50% Buck. There are moments as I'm sure you're aware when the play calling makes zero sense. We start way to many opening series passing the ball, and we NEVER use play action EVER. Some of Buck's best plays for us have come off of play action, and there is none of it. Of course, Buck shares blame as he can hit Watson perfect in stride as he did to get us out of a hole as he did in week 2 in Montreal, but he overthrows a wide open Chris Mathews on the sideline like he did Saturday.

I think the whole locking into one receiver bit was evident moreso against Montreal than it was Hamilton, but the tendencies were still there. This team simply needs to do a better job of picking up the blitz. If that means using double tight end sets, so be it. We've actually had success doing that, and have made plays from that formation. When you're having no more than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball, it's going to mess with your head. We need more plays that have a receiver in the flats as Montreal so often did with Trestman. These are simple plays that were often completed for 8 or 9 yards a piece and make things much more simple as an offence.

If they are going to blitz the **** out of us, I don't know why we don't throw quick hitters to slow it down. In the last series before the half they worked very well.

If they are blitzing the primary read should be a quick hitter and then if they don't actually blitz you have time to move on to an intermediate route.

If they are going to blitz the **** out of us, I don't know why we don't throw quick hitters to slow it down. In the last series before the half they worked very well.

If they are blitzing the primary read should be a quick hitter and then if they don't actually blitz you have time to move on to an intermediate route.

So when the offense lines up and PIerce takes a look at the defense across from him should be not be making that adjustment? We see him making calls on the line all the time to change things, if there's no plays to counter a blitz then shouldn't we put some of, or most of the blame on the qb for A) not reading the defense and B) not making the play to counter it? 

We did that the entire first half in the second game against Montreal, and with great success. Crowton went away from that in the second half for whatever reason, hence my issues with his playcalling, just as many have issues with how little we ran against Hamilton despite their numbers going in, and despite Simpson having 100 yards on 5 carries.

The balance in quality you referred to I think is 50% Crowton, 50% Buck. There are moments as I'm sure you're aware when the play calling makes zero sense. We start way to many opening series passing the ball, and we NEVER use play action EVER. 

We run play action occasionally, and only once (the second game against Montreal) have I see the pass rush bite on it.  The couple of times I noticed it against Hamilton, it slowed the rush not even a millisecond.

I don't know what's wrong, whether Buck isn't selling it, or we have other tells, or whatever.

We did that the entire first half in the second game against Montreal, and with great success. Crowton went away from that in the second half for whatever reason, hence my issues with his playcalling, just as many have issues with how little we ran against Hamilton despite their numbers going in, and despite Simpson having 100 yards on 5 carries.

the run number is misleading. save for a large run simpson was getting stuffed a lot. I don't blame them for abandoning it if they run blitz but I want it replaced with short passes.

the run number is misleading. save for a large run simpson was getting stuffed a lot. I don't blame them for abandoning it if they run blitz but I want it replaced with short passes.

Then get more creative in the running game. His two touchdowns were off of a counter, and a reverse handoff. If the D-Line wants to be that aggressive, run a draw. That would fix things pretty damn quick when a line is doing that.

I am a little shocked that Pierce is still getting defended so staunchly.

Well I'm pretty sure Tim Burke knows just a tiny bit more about football than you do, and has more access to game tape than you do,so if he says there are more issues than just the quarterback, forgive me for taking his word over yours.

Well I'm pretty sure Tim Burke knows just a tiny bit more about football than you do, and has more access to game tape than you do,so if he says there are more issues than just the quarterback, forgive me for taking his word over yours.

Oh okay.  We should all just stop discussing this then, since Burke has spoken and everyone knows coaches never make a wrong decision.

Forgive me for not agreeing with your authority bias.

Because Buck would have to read that blitz pre-snap and make that throw at the end of his drop.  The whole "max protect, quick hit" offence isn't suited to Buck.

What kind of offence IS suited to Buck?

I'd get him rolling out a lot more, but at this point there isn't much he does at a CFL quality starter level.  I don't think confining him to the pocket is cutting down on the hits he's taking, because he doesn't get rid of the ball.  He's more comfortable on the move, and we can still leave 6 guys in to protect.

Then get more creative in the running game. His two touchdowns were off of a counter, and a reverse handoff. If the D-Line wants to be that aggressive, run a draw. That would fix things pretty damn quick when a line is doing that.

Burke addressed it in his comments, they ran on first down a lot and got stuffed then went 2 and out. Bottom line in the CFL your running game will sometimes be stopped on first down, that's why no team that is run focussed ever wins anything in this league. You need to be able to pass your way out of trouble in the CFL to really get the running game working and vice versa. Right now the bombers passing attack is so impotent you won't see the run game being a big factor. Gotta be able to convert on some 2nd and longs in the CFL.

I'm not ready to get rid of Buck as starter because  for the biggest reason, I don't think Goltz is ready and things would probably turn really ugly. I'm not happy with Buck either but how much of it is the line and the coaching.  No time to set up and basically no running game which I think is more the line or the play calling. Goltz or Hall or anyone else would probably not fare any better until the line mans up a bit and we can establish a bit of a run game. I think Simpson and Ford can get it done with  some help. I might not want Goltz to start but if things aren't going well,,why we never throw the backup in is beyond me and this goes back many years.  It cost us a Grey Cup when Glenn got hurt because they hadn't played Dinwoodie all damn year and it has been the same ever since.  Half way through the 3rd quarter , throw him in even for a couple series to see if it will throw off the defence. At a minimum, he is getting his feet wet. Buck was terrible but QBs have bad games, like Hamilton you get Good Henry and sometimes Bad Henry, unfortunately we got more of good Henry. Never mind about keeping Buck healthy, confining him is killing his game, he has to play his game  and run the ball occasionally and slide. My frustration could go on and on but this is enough. Go Blue

Loved the comments by Burke, team racks up over 161 yards in penalties, sends to kickoffs out of bounds, receivers drop 3 or 4 catchable balls, oline plays probably their worst game of the year yet the QB gets all the blame. He deserves some but when the rest of the team plays like schat around him, pretty much screwed.

Keep up the good work Mr Perfect, really enjoyed reading your common sense opinions.

Loved the comments by Burke, team racks up over 161 yards in penalties, sends to kickoffs out of bounds, receivers drop 3 or 4 catchable balls, oline plays probably their worst game of the year yet the QB gets all the blame. He deserves some but when the rest of the team plays like schat around him, pretty much screwed.

Keep up the good work Mr Perfect, really enjoyed reading your common sense opinions.

Yes but in our other 2 games the receivers didn't make drops , kickoffs were not out of bounds and we were very tame on our penalties... yet a certain player has consistently been lack luster in all 3 games....

Perhaps if our QB stepped up it would of over came those other "obstacles"  our defense over came Buck turning the ball over early in both of the first 2 games.... why can't Buck save the day ever?

Burke addressed it in his comments, they ran on first down a lot and got stuffed then went 2 and out. Bottom line in the CFL your running game will sometimes be stopped on first down, that's why no team that is run focussed ever wins anything in this league. You need to be able to pass your way out of trouble in the CFL to really get the running game working and vice versa. Right now the bombers passing attack is so impotent you won't see the run game being a big factor. Gotta be able to convert on some 2nd and longs in the CFL.

I'm aware of that, however if you recall those runs were either sweeps or runs straight up the gut. A - As good as Simpson is, he does not have the speed to be used on sweeps, especially when our guards (hello Steve Morley) aren't able to properly get out and block on said plays. If you're going to be running sweeps, that's what Ford is for. B - When the D-line is stuffing simple runs up the middle (which of course can be successful) then you need to count on your draw plays to counter that. It's one thing to simply say we should have run more, which in itself isn't exactly a smart comment, it's HOW you run the ball that matters. As I said, our touchdowns came off of a counter and a reverse hand off - PERFECT plays to mess with an overly aggressive defensive line, and draws can be even better. Why we didn't go to that, I don't understand.