Burke Comments

Common sense would tell you we're NOT just looking at ONE game.

Mr. Perfect otoh isn't looking at the big picture.

I would respectfully disagree that you are not looking at the big picture. If we are here in week 6 or 7 having the same conversation about the offence and QB play, then yeah maybe it is time to start throwing different ideas in there, but you simply do not change quarterbacks after 3 games. Trust me, I wish our offence was a lot better too at this point, but for starters Montreal's defence is not as bad as it was last year despite what people may think, and as Burke said, when you have receivers not beating jams (especially against the blitz), and mis-timing the waggle, that's a pretty good way to pooch a play really before it's even started. I haven't said Buck has no blame in this - of course he does, it's just simply to early to make a change, especially when none of the guys behind him have shown nothing to merit getting reps ahead of him. Three weeks does not define a season.

Loved the comments by Burke, team racks up over 161 yards in penalties, sends to kickoffs out of bounds, receivers drop 3 or 4 catchable balls, oline plays probably their worst game of the year yet the QB gets all the blame. He deserves some but when the rest of the team plays like schat around him, pretty much screwed.

Keep up the good work Mr Perfect, really enjoyed reading your common sense opinions.

Glad I'm not the only one.

I would respectfully disagree that you are not looking at the big picture. If we are here in week 6 or 7 having the same conversation about the offence and QB play, then yeah maybe it is time to start throwing different ideas in there, but you simply do not change quarterbacks after 3 games. Trust me, I wish our offence was a lot better too at this point, but for starters Montreal's defence is not as bad as it was last year despite what people may think, and as Burke said, when you have receivers not beating jams (especially against the blitz), and mis-timing the waggle, that's a pretty good way to pooch a play really before it's even started. I haven't said Buck has no blame in this - of course he does, it's just simply to early to make a change, especially when none of the guys behind him have shown nothing to merit getting reps ahead of him. Three weeks does not define a season.

This is more than 3 games though, PIerce sucked last season as well regardless of the injuries, but for some reason you people are all ignoring it. The guy is simply not a good quarterback at this stage anymore and that's based on the way his career has gone since he arrived here. 

I'm aware of that, however if you recall those runs were either sweeps or runs straight up the gut. A - As good as Simpson is, he does not have the speed to be used on sweeps, especially when our guards (hello Steve Morley) aren't able to properly get out and block on said plays. If you're going to be running sweeps, that's what Ford is for. B - When the D-line is stuffing simple runs up the middle (which of course can be successful) then you need to count on your draw plays to counter that. It's one thing to simply say we should have run more, which in itself isn't exactly a smart comment, it's HOW you run the ball that matters. As I said, our touchdowns came off of a counter and a reverse hand off - PERFECT plays to mess with an overly aggressive defensive line, and draws can be even better. Why we didn't go to that, I don't understand.

you're saying SImpson isn't fast enough when his long TD he basically outran a bunch of guys to get to the endzone? and his other TD was one that he beat the D to the outside with speed... He's fast enough. I will say it again, you will get stuffed on the runs in the CFL, in order to establish anything on offense a team MUST be able to pass their way out of trouble on 2nd and long, our team can not do it and teams know that if you take away the run and pressure Pierce the bombers are going to be punting in 2 plays. 

Then is he finally going to sit Morley? Coaches have a security blanket playing vets. LaBatte started as a rookie not because he should have but because Fat Boy Sheridan was hurt. Other teams start rookie OL but this team seems challenged with the concept. Are you better to suffer some growing pains with a rookie with upside or a Morley who constantly gets turnstiled?

Well I'm pretty sure Tim Burke knows just a tiny bit more about football than you do, and has more access to game tape than you do,so if he says there are more issues than just the quarterback, forgive me for taking his word over yours.

Burke said when he was named head coach that he knows nothing about offence. I found that kind of strange seeing as he was a defensive coordinator who has to design defences to stop offences. Now he has proved what he said. He has no idea. Said he would have to ask Crowton why we didn't run more in the second half. Also said he had no idea how many running plays we actually had. You see many of the best coaches taking notes on the sideline...not Burke..he just stands there looking sad. I would be too watching this offence.

Is it all Buck's fault? probably not but to a great percentage it is. He has not been a success no matter which coordinator, that has got to tell something. The defence has held this team for the entire time he has been here, even last year when they were not the best.

1. When the other team is putting 8 in the box, you're not going to have a lot of success running the ball.

How do you stop other teams from putting 8 in the box?  By throwing the ball successfully.

2. When has Buck had the most success throwing the ball?  It seems like in every game he has a few drives where he is able to drive down field and score.  The rest of the game is 2 and outs, unless a RB or WR makes a spectacular play.

Every time the Bombers offence has had some success it has been when Buck is making his reads and getting rid of the ball quick.  In the drive against the TiCats in the 4th quarter, that's exactly what he did. However, Buck can't seem to maintain that.  He inevitably falls back to his old ways. (If you want to know what his "old ways" are, see Mike's post on page 2.) 

Obviously there are more problems than just Buck on the offence, but if you are going to deal with the other problems by sitting them, why wouldn't you do the same with Buck?

Maybe watching the game from the sideline would give him a better perspective and understanding of the offence.

Obviously there are more problems than just Buck on the offence, but if you are going to deal with the other problems by sitting them, why wouldn't you do the same with Buck?

I thought this would be pretty obvious but I guess it isn't. Why isn't the first person to be fired the CEO when things aren't going well at a company? If you have a device that isn't working why don't you just throw it out before you try changing the batteries? If your car is running rough do you check the spark plugs and see if it's a bad tank of gas, or do you replace the entire engine or the entire car, or stop driving cars all together and begin working on your pilot’s license.

Troubleshooting anything you work up from the smaller stuff.

Many assumptions about the run game and inability of the offensive line.  Fact is we only run out of pass formations (OL in 2 point stances, RB getting the ball with no momentum), we run zone blocking 5 on 8 and use almost no misdirection.  It's a crap scheme for running the ball and not designed to do it well, especially if the passing game isn't prolific.

Time to get back to basics.

I thought this would be pretty obvious but I guess it isn't. Why isn't the first person to be fired the CEO when things aren't going well at a company? If you have a device that isn't working why don't you just throw it out before you try changing the batteries? If your car is running rough do you check the spark plugs and see if it's a bad tank of gas, or do you replace the entire engine or the entire car, or stop driving cars all together and begin working on your pilot’s license.

Troubleshooting anything you work up from the smaller stuff.

Except we are not trouble shooting.  We know what the problem is.

Sticking with your idea of piss poor analogies; The Bombers know the car is out of gas, but instead of filling the tank, they replace the spark plugs, they fill the tires with air and they give it a wash and think that will make the vehicle go.

Except we are not trouble shooting. We know what the problem is.

Sticking with your idea of piss poor analogies; The Bombers know the car is out of gas, but instead of filling the tank, they replace the spark plugs, they fill the tires with air and they give it a wash and think that will make the vehicle go.

no we don't. you are fooling if you think one of the backup qbs would look much better

You're comparing one game versus a number of games in Joey's case. That in itself is the answer to why Buck has been treated different that Joey. Turnovers in the red zone are every bit as bad, as shown in the game against Calgary last year at home.

Buck played way worse in the 2011 LDC than Joey did against Calgary. Bucks performance has been disturbingly regressive since he signed here.

no we don't. you are fooling if you think one of the backup qbs would look much better

you're fooling yourself if you think they could look worse. When your QB is playing that poorly you lose nothing by putting in someone else. Any other player would have been benched already if they played that badly regardless of whether anyone thought the backup could do better or not. Burke himself said it. Guys keep making the same mistakes and fail to execute you gotta sit them down at some point. Except apparently when it's Pierce.

Not only does Burke fail to recognize he should pull Buck when he is performing badly, he has no problem running down every other player who he thinks performed badly, and publicly threatening to dump them completely or bench them. I'm tired of Burke running down lots of players in public except for Buck! If you want to be honest be honest, otherwise keep your mouth shut!

you're fooling yourself if you think they could look worse. When your QB is playing that poorly you lose nothing by putting in someone else. Any other player would have been benched already if they played that badly regardless of whether anyone thought the backup could do better or not. Burke himself said it. Guys keep making the same mistakes and fail to execute you gotta sit them down at some point. Except apparently when it's Pierce.

no I'm not. you don't think a back up qb could look worse? what was rileys stat line? 80 yds and a pick. thinking a qb couldn't play worse is asinine

When the HC indicates there were numerous mistakes in every aspect of the game people still want to throw it all on Buck. Morley isn't even a speed bump out there and Buck gets blamed for holding the ball? Max protection has turned into double cover and blanket receivers.